YesNoOk

ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (complete) (Read 42467 times)

Started by ferretsshadow, September 28, 2011, 11:19:04 pm
Share this topic:
ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (complete)
#1  September 28, 2011, 11:19:04 pm
I decided to make new portraits for all the  characters I have for mugen, to match the quality of my screenpack.  that means I plan on releasing about 400+ portraits that will be done with a size of 240x280.  this is just perfect for those who want better quality portraits for their winning quotes, vs screen, and the big portrait of the selct screen. note: I will update this every time I finish twenty or so portraits

you are free to use these as you wish as long as you credit me, and anyone who contributes later,  if you pack in a screenpack or something.

here are a few portraits for you to see what you are getting
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

my portraits

taybears portraits

to scale add this code to your system.def: p1.face.scale = .5,.5  and  p2.face.scale = .5,.5

if you're still having problems scaling your portaits in game reply and I'll gladly help.   there might be one or two portraits that aren't scaled properly so if you come across one I'd also appreciate it if you told me so I can correct it and reupate thanks

you are also free to contribute if you want to join in and I'll post your portraits here with your name next to it. the only condition for that is they must be of waist/thigh-up with the full head in the portrait and be in 240x280 format and you can't do one that has already been done by me or a contributor.l
Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:59:51 am by ferretsshadow
Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (7% done)
#2  September 29, 2011, 12:20:05 am
  • commissions open bang my line
    • USA
    • https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/xtayisblackx?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
My stages folder:
https://app.mediafire.com/g5pnpb2im4lqa

Want a screenpack ported to ikemen? DM's open
Want a stage remade with parallax & possible super jump? DM's open
#3  September 29, 2011, 12:28:05 am
awesome give me a sec and I'll add it to my post
#4  October 01, 2011, 07:22:35 am
-----update---

just added twenty-nine more here, so check out the spoiler tag to see what has been added

http://www.mediafire.com/?xw7e7o5ybd74u0h

list of characters:
Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (15% done)
#5  October 05, 2011, 02:35:34 am
updated again, and I'm  suprised no one is commenting

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2pn8qwnbz4v8m5

list of characters:
Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (21% done)
#6  October 05, 2011, 12:08:49 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Dude!! I thought I was the only crazy portrait guy here. Very nice job so far as this kind of stuff can be daunting. I have one question for you: what resolution did you use?? 240x280 with 72dpi or 240x280 with 300 dpi?? Also, what bit depth do you use, 8 or 16??

Keep up the fantastic work!! I have a milestone of 700+ to eventually make....

You've got someone watching and highly interested. If this post goes dry, feel free to PM me anytime.  :sugoi:
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:14:46 pm by Saikoro
#7  October 05, 2011, 02:38:43 pm
  • That's right. Get all the marmalade Mr. Giraffe
if they're like me, they're probably too busy changing all of the portraits for their rosters lol. These are really nice thanks!
#8  October 05, 2011, 04:07:20 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Thinking more on this portrait topic, I've got a TON of stuff to make. Here's a rundown on what I have to make, considering that my roster is one giant compilation (also consider that I generally have every character for each particular roster), in my projected order:

Capcom VS SNK (I have 6 left and its release time!!)
Marvel VS Capcom series (all portraits are in MvC2's art direction)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (all utilizing the victory screen art style)
Street Fighter 2 (All in Super Turbo's art direction)
Street Fighter
Cyberbots (all official Capcom Art)
Darkstalkers (all utilizing Vampire Savior's art direction)

Guilty Gear (all using XX's style)
Melty Blood (all unified so that they all match)
The King of Fighters (all using SNK's watercolor scheme)
SvC Chaos (also using SNK's watercolor look)
Samurai Shodown (all utilizing 5's art direction)
World Heroes (all utilizing Perfect's art direction)
Neo Geo Battle Colliseum (again using that watercolor look)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (watercolor again)

And plenty of other smaller rosters I forget....

The main principle here is a unified, matching look. Each portrait takes a solid 2+ hours A PIECE as I'm not just resizing. I'm actually editing so everything looks professional.

Yes, I'm nuts. But Im also going to finish this regardless of how long it takes.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#9  October 06, 2011, 12:28:21 am
^I'm doing something similiar as you can see with all my portraits, although I'm very quick with the editing tools so it's 1/4 the time, but it would be cool to see you finish yours as well :sugoi:

actually it would also mean less work for me  ;D :twisted:
#10  October 06, 2011, 12:50:56 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
What takes me so long is I don't just cut and paste art. Instead, I make sure edges along each piece of art are unified in gradients/color. With large images, pixels merge making for lots of editing so images don't look shoddy. There's tons of these pixels with free transforming large portraits to smaller Mugen standards. With Capcom VS SNK 2's art that I used, resolutions are very high (1,000 by 800). Therefore the editing process is painstaking. When Marvel VS Capcom 2 comes around, the art being converted is comprised of lower resolutions, so the turnaround will be faster. I'm really looking forward to finally completing this group of portraits.

I project that I'm going to be done with this current round of portraits within the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted along with some preview shots by weekend's end.

It's great to see other portrait makers on the forums!!

#11  October 06, 2011, 01:01:01 am
What takes me so long is I don't just cut and paste art. Instead, I make sure edges along each piece of art are unified in gradients/color. With large images, pixels merge making for lots of editing so images don't look shoddy. There's tons of these pixels with free transforming large portraits to smaller Mugen standards. With Capcom VS SNK 2's art that I used, resolutions are very high (1,000 by 800). Therefore the editing process is painstaking. When Marvel VS Capcom 2 comes around, the art being converted is comprised of lower resolutions, so the turnaround will be faster. I'm really looking forward to finally completing this group of portraits.

I project that I'm going to be done with this current round of portraits within the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted along with some preview shots by weekend's end.

It's great to see other portrait makers on the forums!!

that's not really an excuse... when I'm editing pics. I can get it accurate with curves and everything in ten min. but they get somewhat ruined when adding bg. color and cleaning up pics due to the resizing that comes after cutting them out. overall though the end result is still good in my opinion.

you can see what I mean here:

so then you want me to add your work to the top, or are you going to start another topic ???:/

Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:24:27 am by ferretsshadow
#12  October 06, 2011, 01:02:59 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Not entirely sure yet....   :???:

#13  October 06, 2011, 01:25:12 am
alright let me know if you do
#14  October 06, 2011, 01:14:33 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Hmmm....

I think what I will end up doing is posting a thread for my own release while also including it with you guys through a direct link to this post. What do you think??

#15  October 06, 2011, 01:36:46 pm
works either way
Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (26% done)
#16  October 11, 2011, 10:37:51 am
34 more portraits

Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (26% done)
#17  October 11, 2011, 11:08:15 pm
Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (35% done)
#18  October 19, 2011, 06:16:51 pm
just added 32 more

http://www.mediafire.com/?3tzawdj102jb58d

list of characters

Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (35% done)
#19  October 19, 2011, 11:29:45 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Sweet deal. I'm just about done with my Capcom VS SNK2 portraits. Just 4 more!! Hopefully I will be done with this group within the next week.

Keep up the great job!!

Re: ferretsshadows 400+ custom portrait project (42% done)
#20  October 25, 2011, 04:54:02 pm
36 more portraits

http://www.mediafire.com/?m5a8mbia00om8iw