YesNoOk

Buster Bunny (Buster Busts Loose) (Read 4731 times)

Started by gia, September 24, 2007, 07:10:00 am
Share this topic:

gia

Buster Bunny (Buster Busts Loose)
#1  September 24, 2007, 07:10:00 am

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaXtqi4P9oQ

I wanted to make this char like it plays on its Super Nintendo game. I've had a thousand (and counting) problems but I've succeeded at making it work like I wanted so far. However I'm not experienced at coding characters and given the gameplay mechanics I'm recreating maybe he's cheap. Basically, Buster's gameplay is that he is invincible while attacking or charging his dash which he can do indefinitely. On the minus side he has 35 defense.

The mechanics are quite a lot, if you have played the game you will notice he plays about the same.

I used KFM as a base, although most of him is gone, the sprite sheet is the one from the spriters resource, and also used this tutorial on side scroller characters: http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/tenjirou/tut/tutorial.txt

Dload v6: http://rapidshare.com/files/66390816/buster-bunny.rar.html
+Trashcan lose anim
+Jump changes

_
Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 02:12:32 am by gia
Re: Buster Bunny (Buster Busts Loose)
#2  September 24, 2007, 04:09:45 pm
Great idea man^^ I have plans to do Babs when I run out of wips^^

gia

#3  September 26, 2007, 08:09:56 am
I'd go Dizzy or Elmira :P GetHit now works (but can get grabbed :/), cleaned the portrait so it only uses 32 colors, added intro taunt win timeover and "death" anims, the taunt is the anim used when pushing a wall. If someone knows and can rip voices from the show that would be nice, because the intro and timeover anims have a moving mouth, otherwise I'll make a text box or something.

Now what I have left is run up walls and jump/cancel dash from them, "float" when doing the backflip, bounce back if the backflip hits, the second death animation (trash container), spawn dust clouds on some anims and those storyboard/continue thingies.
Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:32:35 am by gia

gia

#4  September 29, 2007, 08:01:17 am
Added a post intro, pre fight state so that you cant move despite your intro finishing until the fight starts, used the mugen docs to renumber the states, sprite groups, animations and order the code, it also asked for some sprite groups so I added them to the ssf and created actions with the same number.

Removed -1 states, I do the checks within the normal states, specifically because when the commands were in -1 the character auto turned to face the enemy despite I had autoturn off. Well at least it is more "pure" state machine than before.

Changed speeds to something more like the original game, backflips are floatier and added dust clouds appearing when you slide/brake and wall dashing mechanics, with the original's quirks :), plus if the wall (screen) moves you dash fall, if you manage to catch the wall you resume wall dashing although its hard to catch it unless it doesn't move that much.

gia

#5  October 01, 2007, 11:17:09 am
Added intros with voices from the Tiny Toons show and made sprites that fit the intro mood. Spent the whole day separating the colors and rebuilding all the sprites (yawn) to make a couple palettes. And finished the play mechanics, only thing missing is an storyboard I think.

Also played a bit against other characters, I can't record well, but still, uploaded the best video I got quality wise (and it's all crappy), too bad the video for some really cool matches came up completely horrible. (first post)

Right now I am happy with 35 defense, but if its too low (or too high?) for you then just modify it :S... I feel the damage is ok (given the defense at least) although maybe I could use variable guard damage because right now it's a bit like low.

I'd move to releases but I'll try to understand how AI coding works first.
#6  October 02, 2007, 06:05:00 pm
It´s getting great^^ Keep it up^^

gia

#7  October 08, 2007, 11:40:57 am
yaawwwwwwwwwn finally finished the storyboard intro. Lotttssss of work getting it done. Specially since I may only use 9 sprites at a time.

I included an mp3 and spc bgm, because in_snes crashes my mugen, may be that it's the current version and I couldn't find any "previous releases" link.

gia

#8  October 31, 2007, 02:15:49 am
Added the trash container lose anim, it was boring but it's done... Fixed a jump bug and removed up for jumping and replaced with a/b/c for attack, jump and dash. Moved to releases because I don't think I'll get to add ai anytime soon and it would suck anyway.
#9  October 31, 2007, 04:54:01 am
Would you consider this a full release? Or still a work in progress?

Because there seems to be an awful lot still going on for a finished character.

Just a question outta curiousity before I download.
#10  October 31, 2007, 12:15:06 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
You should add in blank animations (-1,0, 0,0, 1) for missing required anims
He can seemingly stand in the air occasionally I've noticed.
KOing him gives an error of missing anim 5110
The dash bar would probably be best 1/4 its current size
Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 08:13:30 pm by Kung_Fu_Man

gia

#11  November 01, 2007, 03:13:38 am

It isn't the average ryu/ken/akuma char if that's what you mean, it's already playing like the original game so it's finished as a char to me, I only delayed to add other stuff (intro storyboard) and try to code ai but it sucks so didn't include that.

Stand in the air? would like to know how if somebody figures it so I can find that in the code. ok to the rest ty.
#12  November 01, 2007, 03:15:53 am
  • Coming Soon?

It isn't the average ryu/ken/akuma char if that's what you mean, it's already playing like the original game so it's finished as a char to me, I only delayed to add other stuff (intro storyboard) and try to code ai but it sucks so didn't include that.

Stand in the air? would like to know how if somebody figures it so I can find that in the code. ok to the rest ty.

In my limited experience, this problem is caused by a move with I believe physics=A returning to the stand state after being hit or after the move is completed.
Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...