Sepp's Thread (Read 28055 times)

Started by Sepp, May 10, 2008, 10:56:13 pm
Sepp's Thread
#1  May 10, 2008, 10:56:13 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Where I put... things. Knowing me, there will probably be a bunch of quotes.

The observation may be profound. See that it is posted.
---Michael Flynn, The Wreck of The River of Stars
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Certainty, faith and knowledge
#2  May 10, 2008, 11:26:36 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
The first and wisest of them all profess'd
To know this only, that he nothing knew.
--John Milton, Paradise Regained

All of these appear self-explanatory enough, no need to comment. Hooray. =)

Spoiler: certainty, faith and knowledge quotes (click to see content)

Men are forever looking for the one point, the singular fulcrum they can use to dislodge all competing claims. Ignorance does not give us this. What it provides, rather, is the possibility of comparison, the assurance that not all claims are equal. And this, Ajencis would argue, is all that we need. For so long as we admit our ignorance, we can hope to improve our claims, and so long as we can improve our claims, we can aspire to the Truth, even if only in rank approximation.
--R. Scott Bakker, The Thousandfold Thought
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:32:37 pm by Sepp
People turn out...
#3  May 11, 2008, 12:10:53 am
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
... what we want them to be? Two excerpts that pick this (and other interesting ideas) up:

All I can say is this: people very often turn out to be what we will them to be. In a strange, illogical way, they respond to it. If we treat them, however subtly, as forlorn losers or potential psychos, sometimes this fatalism has a habit of turning them into that very thing we are afraid of. If, however, we engage them directly - even if we are rejecting their submissions - with dignity and honest feedback, this has a way of resetting their expectations of life; of letting them resolve whatever crazy notions of glory they had and get on with what they can really do with their lives.
Spoiler: continued... creative rage (click to see content)

And there was this one odd thing about his deference. Because he expected others to know more and to be the best, everyone he worked with did that work just a little bit better. When he asked Okoye questions about cargo wrangling, she was surprised to realize how much she herself had mastered in five short years. When he studied navigation with Corrigan, the Second found a vaster (and unexpected) store of patience within himself. When he told Grubb how delicious the food was, Grubb studied his essences and fragrances with greater diligence. Even Twenty-Four found her search for casual pleasure shading over into something else. What it came down to was this: The little dook was so eager and so grateful and he so obviously expected that all would go well that no one wanted to disappoint him.
Spoiler: continued... if he ever found his center (click to see content)
--Michael Flynn, The Wreck of The River of Stars
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#4  May 11, 2008, 11:09:27 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Hiya! It looks like I'll be relocating some time next week and not have net access from my temporary base. I should still be able to find my way here every now and then, but probably a lot less than usual. Right now the situation is hard to predict and it might last for... an unkown duration.

It might also turn out to be no issue at all, but I'm posting this now just in case.

I'll check email/PM for important business and post here again once I can say more---for example, when exactly I'm leaving. The Eye of Thundera suggests Wednesday.
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#5  May 12, 2008, 12:55:40 am
    • Germany
have fun. might also as well post this in the public staff, nuh?

<Ta'uri>Das ist Geld zum Fenster rauswerfen (engl: using money for buying windows)
Offline/absence notice
#6  May 12, 2008, 01:41:50 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Do not worry! I shall become your spokesperson.
Offline/absence notice
#7  May 12, 2008, 01:56:44 am
no i will
Offline/absence notice
#8  May 12, 2008, 03:05:47 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
You both can be his spokesperson.  You must use quotes that are neither your own nor Sepp's to reply as his spokesperson though.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
Offline/absence notice
#9  May 12, 2008, 10:42:09 am
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
--R. Scott Bakker
Absence confirmed
#10  May 14, 2008, 11:24:40 am
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I'll probably be away or less active for a while, can't yet say for how long. take care~
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#11  May 17, 2008, 10:57:59 am
    • Germany
Shatterpoint obtained. Commencing read process...

That was pretty fast, thanks. I was wondering, what purpose exactly does the "Buechersendung" remark on the package have?
Offline/absence notice
#12  May 17, 2008, 01:00:21 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
It's cheaper (because books are Very Important), it would only have been around 0.85 € if I hadn't still had two of these old 0.55 € stamps I ended up using.

I think if you don't make books a Büchersendung you would have to send them either as some sort of maxi letter thing (about 1.45 €?) or even as a Päckchen (3.3 €?) if it's a larger/heavier book, or several books---while you can send up to 1 kg of books for only 1.4 EUR. Dunno if that's the upper limit.

The downside of a Büchersendung is that you are supposed to wrap it in something that can be opened and closed at will (usually with pins or something) so they can confirm it's actually books you're sending---or you do like Amazon and pack it in something with holes in it you can see through.
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#13  May 18, 2008, 02:45:24 am
    • Germany
Nice concept.

Also, there's some Eselsohren on a number of pages, are those bookmarks of yours? Mostly just mentioning them now so it becomes clear they aren't my doing :P
Offline/absence notice
#14  May 18, 2008, 07:29:20 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
yub yub, bookmarks.

Signal strength: none (does rain interfere with WLAN signals?)

connected to the internet through the force !!!
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#15  May 18, 2008, 08:11:46 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
Weather does affect it.  In the case where you're next to a populated area on a public wi-fi connection, the number of people connected can bottleneck the router.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
Offline/absence notice
#16  May 19, 2008, 06:42:52 pm
    • Germany
Haha, I'm at page ~130 now. It's like reading a whole book-of-Sepp. Very similar writing style :lugoi:
Offline/absence notice
#17  May 31, 2008, 04:06:33 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Heh. :borg:
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#18  June 20, 2008, 10:13:54 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#19  July 11, 2008, 07:20:49 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
My ISP ought to have everything working since Monday.

Ha-ha.

Maybe Wednesday next week...
--R. Scott Bakker
Offline/absence notice
#20  July 11, 2008, 07:22:47 pm
    • Germany
:)