YesNoOk

The Best of The King of Fighters series (Read 21485 times)

Started by Retro Respecter, October 21, 2008, 06:27:02 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Which King of Fighters, in your opinion, is the best?

The King of Fighters '94
1 (0.8%)
The King of Fighters '95
3 (2.4%)
The King of Fighters '96
3 (2.4%)
The King of Fighters '97
14 (11.3%)
The King of Fighters '98
34 (27.4%)
The King of Fighters '99
2 (1.6%)
The King of Fighters 2000
11 (8.9%)
The King of Fighters 2001
2 (1.6%)
The King of Fighters 2002
17 (13.7%)
The King of Fighters 2003
7 (5.6%)
The King of Fighters XI
19 (15.3%)
The King of Fighters XII
7 (5.6%)
The King of Fighters XIII
4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 121

The Best of The King of Fighters series
#1  October 21, 2008, 06:27:02 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Welcome, King of Fighters fans, to the all-time King of Fighters discussion on Mugen Fighters' Guild, The Best of The King of Fighters seriees.

Fans of KoF:  :balloon2: :balloon3: :balloon: :afro: :mfro: :hump: :gugoi: :nutrox: :nugoi: :karate: :kid: :hair2: :hair: :gossip: :iloveyou: :suttrox: :bandana: :balloon2: :balloon3: :balloon:

Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to business. SNK is pulling out all stops while re-making The King of Fighters 2002 into The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match and giving new life to the King of Fighters through The King of Fighters XII. All those who are astonish, make some noise!!!

Fans of KoF:  :balloon2: :balloon3: :balloon: :afro: :mfro: :hump: :gugoi: :nutrox: :nugoi: :karate: :kid: :hair2: :hair: :gossip: :iloveyou: :suttrox: :bandana: :balloon2: :balloon3: :balloon:

With SNK's top franchise trying to reach the top, The King of Fighters have garnered themselves their own fanbase as well as a very good fan service. Anyone who wants to discuss the best of The King of Fighters, come on down!
Re: The Best of The King of Fighters series
#2  October 21, 2008, 06:32:54 pm
  • "Moyashi tsuku shite yaru..."
The King of Fighters XI
#3  October 21, 2008, 06:43:52 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have always favored 2002 over 98 because of the cast which makes it for more varied fights even though 98 is more balanced. The 2002 remake might amke it so 2002 is actually a better game than 98.
To me, XI was pretty bland in every way, fun nontheless.
#4  October 21, 2008, 06:44:31 pm
  • SNK is life
The most Kick-Ass: KOF96
The one I played the most: KOF 98
The one I liked the most, presentation wise: KOF 2003
#5  October 21, 2008, 06:47:34 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
96, 97, 98, 2000, 2002, 2003 and XI.
I like many of them.
My shitty mugen stuff:
#6  October 21, 2008, 06:50:53 pm
  • SNK is life
I like them all but 2002 actually. The fact that so many people like such a rushed and ill-presented project makes me wonder many things. It's just plain ugly in every way - Scenarios look very uninspired. Rugal is hell-broken and uglier than his 98 counterpart. The new stances for Yashiro/Mature/Chris are hideous. 96% recycled material, barely any new sprites. I could go on, I'll just keep away from it.

Now, Unlimited Match is a WHOLE different story, that looks hella sexy.
Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:54:01 pm by walt
#7  October 21, 2008, 06:53:15 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I liked it the most of the '99 to '02 parts. Dunno why really.
Yeah, it is ugly though.
My shitty mugen stuff:
#8  October 21, 2008, 07:02:26 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
KOF 95

It's what got me into liking KOF and I couldn't find another KOF for about 3 years after.

It's also the only one where I could pick any character and know how to play as them.

Never got into the others enough (it's hard to get into fighters if your friends won't ever get into them)
#9  October 21, 2008, 08:33:33 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
2000 because it's the only one I could beat. 97 and 2001 otherwise.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#10  October 21, 2008, 09:09:48 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
KoF 2000 is the best for me, great music, art, movelists, strikers, roster, etc.

My thoughts on other KoF's good points :

94 for introducing KoF.

95 for introducing Iori Yagami (and Billy Kane into the KoF universe)

96 for reinventing KoF.

97 for awesome sub-boss/boss battles.

98 for awesome Kyo.

99 for introducing one of the most awesome characters (and my favourite), K'.

*2000 is first line*

2001 for huge roster.

2002 for variety in roster (classics + NESTS saga)

2003 for adding Heaven's Drive and Air Trigger to K' and many other improvements (but removing second shell -> heat drive was :() and 2003 has more responsiveness in control than previous KoF's (don't know, everything feels.... smoother)

Last time I played XI was 2 years ago, so.. only thing I can say is, K' is more powerful than ever (retaining classic combos, awesome Heat Drive and Chain Drive, Crow Bite Hard -> Tsuika Kougeki -> Minute Spike chain, etc.)
#11  October 21, 2008, 09:20:19 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
98. After that it was a bunch of Mugen games, then picked back up with XI.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#12  October 21, 2008, 09:33:35 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
2k2 is the most user friendly. Voted for this because i play it the most.

Dislike 2k. I hate the commands in it. Mostly cos half the time they don't damn well work.

I'd vote for XI, but due to it's current position on ps2, it doesn't get netplay like 2k2 does.

I appreciate 2k3 for what it is, a prelude to XI, without 2k3 XI would not be as good as it is. Agree about the control responsiveness. You almost always get what you input with 2k3. Unlike 2k where QCFx2 = do an uppercut, whiff and get punished.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#13  October 21, 2008, 10:59:01 pm
  • "Moyashi tsuku shite yaru..."
IIRC, KOF 2003 has a cut down command buffer. You have to be more precise in combos. (Try air attack, land attack combo...) Definetely, KOF 2000 has great arts, roster and movelists, but I have to agree with Cyanide. Control response in KOF 99, 2000 is tight as hell. KOF 2001 and 2002 has enlarged command buffer. And KOF XI has the most effortless control response.

MDI

#14  October 22, 2008, 01:16:17 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
2001 had the worst soundtrack. The music sounded like it was comprised of Sega Genesis effects and farts.

Also.. I liked KoF 99' Evolution for Dreamcast and KoF XI the most. Haven't played XII, but it looks amazing so far.
ey
#15  October 22, 2008, 01:19:49 am
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
I can only say The King of Fighters XI cause it is the only one I have and played so I can't really say how the others are like, but I would like to try to get the games and try them on my tv of course.  :P
Stuff

MDI

#16  October 22, 2008, 01:49:28 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
I can only say The King of Fighters XI cause it is the only one I have and played so I can't really say how the others are like, but I would like to try to get the games and try them on my tv of course.  :P

You should buy KoF The Orochi Saga which is coming to PS2 in the USA. (Also PSP)
ey
#17  October 22, 2008, 02:14:55 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Music, stage, in-game art and presentation-wise my favorite is 2K (Closely followed by KoF99 Evolution)
I agree withc Cyanide about the command input, it's almost as bad as in the console port of NeoWave.

Gameplay wise... I'd probably go with 98UM, closely followed by 2K2, I love the idea of MAX2 moves (When they're useful) the music was OK, same for the stages.
Note that 2K2UM hasn't been released yet, but so far seems like it's gonna replace 98UM from the top of my list, seems like they're fixing most of my issues with the game so 2K2UM might be my top game, hopefully the game won't have the stupid command imput from 2K and NeoWave.

tl;dr

Presentation:
99 Evo

Gameplay:
98UM
2K2
XI
#18  October 22, 2008, 02:58:21 am
well, I'm kinda split, I liked 97 the most for the arcade mode, but XI for casual multiplayer so I guess I'll say 97.
#19  October 22, 2008, 03:14:51 am
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
Stuff
#20  October 22, 2008, 03:53:07 am
Over all 2000 is my favorite,
XI is fun, a bit too gimmicky, but still a good title
2003 - 2nd favorite
2002 - I play this one the most simply because of the cast and system, but i hate the backgrounds
2001 - Don't know what to say about this one, part of me loves it and the other part hates it
'99 - good title that re-introduced me to the series
'95- the 1st KOF i've ever played, not the best but at the time it was great
- dont' have an opinion on '96 thru '98 because i played these titles very little