YesNoOk

Steel Komodo's Idea Dump for Things He'll Never Do (Read 86245 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, April 25, 2014, 01:16:20 am
Steel Komodo's Idea Dump for Things He'll Never Do
#1  April 25, 2014, 01:16:20 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
So I was playing SeanAltly's Capcom vs. The World a few days ago, and then this thing sprouted up in my head and wouldn't go away. So I decided to post it here. I know I haven't really contributed much to MFG apart from a few baka ic arguments and thread derails, but hopefully this idea for a full-game thing might count for something. Assuming someone picks it up and decides to give it a go - full game projects are always a difficult business. If somebody does want to pick this up, I would be more than genki  to play the role of assistant director/beta tester/whatever.

Note that the only KoF game I've played to any degree is XIII, meaning I have little idea of what makes a good KoF game if at all. If someone points out to me that I'm doing it wrong, I completely understand :P Also note that a lot of this is still in the  keikaku ning stages and is subject to change at a moment's notice. Also I put most of this in spoilers because the post was getting kawaii  big.

System Mechanics
  • 4 Attack Buttons - 2 Punch and 2 Kick, like any KoF game.
  • Back Dash, Run and Tactical Hop.
  • Throws done with 2 Punches or 2 Kicks, like CvS.
  • Dodge Roll on LP + LK.
  • Blowback Counter on HP + HK.
  • Supers and EX Supers a la KoF XIII/Infinite's characters.
  • Desperation Super - akin to Rage moves from BC's SFA4 characters or SF4's Ultras. Requires low life and three charges of meter.
  • X-Skill and X-Gauge system described here.
Spoiler: Functions of the X-Gauge (click to see content)

Spoiler: KoF Roster (click to see content)

Spoiler: The World Roster (click to see content)

Spoiler: General Notes and Rambling (click to see content)

So there you go. Just dumping this here so it leaves me alone, but feel free to comment/critique as you wish.
Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:23:27 pm by Steel Komodo
Re: SNK vs. The World - A Fullgame Idea
#2  April 25, 2014, 01:24:56 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
u should rename it.
kof vs the world
u have no snk chars in there
besides kof chars and the alien dude
from metal slug
#3  April 25, 2014, 01:28:47 am
    • UK
u should rename it.
kof vs the world
from metal slug

Capcom and SNK got away with calling their games Capcom vs SNK and SNK vs Capcom, didn't they? And they barely had any other characters besides KoF and Street Fighter! >:[ Besides, KoF is basically two separate franchies mashed together, so I figured it counts.

Eh, if enough people complain about it I'll change the name, but right now I don't see much reason to. Anyone else feel as strongly about this?
#4  April 25, 2014, 01:31:52 am
    • Argentina
    • sutcliffsouji.wix.com/cp-chazzanova
I am, Memo is right. Some guys from Last Blade, SamSho, World Heroes, and AoDK should be in the roster. At least if you wanna make a game of SNK vs the World instead of a crossover of KoF with other universes.

Just look at Sean fullgame, his game includes characters from different series of Capcom.

DW

#5  April 25, 2014, 01:36:07 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
u should rename it.
kof vs the world
from metal slug

Spoiler: SNK Roster (click to see content)

Yuri, Ryo, King = Art of Fighting
Mai, Joe, Terry = Fatal Fury
Clark Steel = Ikari Warriors
Mars People = Metal Slug
The remaining chars = KoF

Just because all of these chars make appearances in KoF games, doesn't mean that's all of their original game series. SNK vs The World is fine. However, this in itself seems sorta redundant. Since the World side from Sean's game actually features SNK chars. Along with it being the World, it could have anyone there. Though, you trying to make your own spin on it is cool.
Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:41:10 am by DW
Re: KoF vs. The World - A Fullgame Idea
#6  April 25, 2014, 01:39:03 am
    • UK
Alright, give me a moment to look at the roster and I'll see what I can do.

Just because all of these chars make appearances in KoF games, doesn't mean that's all of there original game series. SNK vs The World is fine. However, this in itself seems sorta redundant. Since the World side from Sean's game actually features SNK chars. Along with it being the World, it could have anyone there. Though, you trying to make your own spin on it is cool.

Thanks for pointing that out man - you worded it better than I did. Also the World side pretty much means "everyone else", so I figured Sean including SNK characters in his game didn't really detract from that. Hell, I could put more Capcom characters in here, if I wanted, and it would still mean the same thing :P

#7  April 25, 2014, 01:43:14 am
    • Argentina
Even if they're aren't originally from KoF, the roster still looks quite inclined to KoF. Most of these characters make constant aparicienes in the timeline of King of Fighters. I think that's what Memo want to express.

I still think that characters Last Blade, SamSho, World Heroes, and AoDK should be in a "game" like this.

DW

#8  April 25, 2014, 01:48:42 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Even if they do make recurring appearances in KoF games, it still doesn't warrant the title to be changed to KoF vs the World. It'd only look that way to those who didn't know what games most of those chars originate from. There's only 4 KoF original chars for that starting roster. Even w/o SS, WH, etc. chars.
#9  April 25, 2014, 01:50:56 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
 u need to add more variety in there.
last blade is a must, samsho too
if its snk vs the world.
eliminate half the snk roster
and add some chars who never appeared
in kof theres plenty of them.

DW

#10  April 25, 2014, 01:53:15 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
#11  April 25, 2014, 01:54:51 am
    • UK
Jeez, if I'd have known people were such sticklers for detail I wouldn;t have even posted this!

Right, I added Haohmaru, Hanzo Hattori and Athena to the SNK side and Tekkaman, Ryu Hayabusa and Petra Lagerkvist to the World side. I also replaced Leonardo with as-of-yet undecided Power Rangers/Super Sentai character and Heart Aino with Ragna from Blazblue. Everyone happy now? :U

I actually just got inspired for a moveset for Iron Man. I'll probably post it tomorrow, but until then keep discussing! Preferably the mechanics as well as the title :P
#12  April 25, 2014, 01:56:09 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
#13  April 25, 2014, 01:59:47 am
    • Argentina
@DW: In that sense you're totally right. Game's title shouldn't change to KoF v/s the World.

@Steel Komodo: I see you've altered a bit by adding to the roster Haohmaru and Athena :) Something quite original for the game would be add characters that doesn't make appearances on other crossovers games. This is difficult mainly because the sprites, but that's a problem of The World side too, so I guess that you have some kind of solution for that.

Maybe Setsuna from LB? From my point of view, he is very popular and well received by the fans.

EDIT: F*cking tags :C
#14  April 25, 2014, 02:00:26 am
i'll tell you right now that if you want to lighten the sprite workload you should use cvs sprites because they would blend in better with your "the world" cast
#15  April 25, 2014, 02:05:44 am
    • UK
@Steel Komodo: I see you've altered a bit by adding to the roster Haohmaru and Athena :) Something quite original for the game would be add characters that doesn't make appearances on other crossovers games. This is difficult mainly because the sprites, but that's a problem of The World side too, so I guess that you have some kind of solution for that.

Maybe Setsuna from LB? From my point of view, he is very popular and well received by the fans.

I just looked him up, and whilst he may involve a lot of custom spritework, I would definitely consider him. The trouble would be finding a good rival for him on the World side. Any ideas?

i'll tell you right now that if you want to lighten the sprite workload you should use cvs sprites because they would blend in better with your "the world" cast

I'm afraid that's where I would have to disagree with you. Whilst many people here see no problem with mixing CvS sprites with Alpha/MvC sprites, I personally don't like it. I would rather spend ages getting the characters down to a consistent sprite style then cheat my way out with clashing styles. I will consider this, but being the perfectionist I am I wouldn't be very happy with it.

Also, you seem to have forgotten I'm just spitting in the wind at the moment - no real plans to do anything with this yet, so there is no real workload to speak of. If enough people show some interest, though, I'll ask around for a team to help out.
#16  April 25, 2014, 02:12:44 am
    • Argentina
I just looked him up, and whilst he may involve a lot of custom spritework, I would definitely consider him. The trouble would be finding a good rival for him on the World side. Any ideas?

Uhmm... Ky Kiske from GG is a lightning swordmaster :P Maybe him could work.

I always wanted to see Brocken v/s Dictator, but It's a bit common to include the Dictator, right?
#17  April 25, 2014, 02:21:42 am
    • UK

Uhmm... Ky Kiske from GG is a lightning swordmaster :P Maybe him could work.

I always wanted to see Brocken v/s Dictator, but It's a bit common to include the Dictator, right?

Ky could work. And yeah, I wanna be careful with how much of a series I put in - Dictator's kind of popular with these sorts of crossovers, and too much SF could lead to a bit of an imbalance.

Also shit, I just realised I could have had a Skullgirls character on the roster, and I know just who. Gimme a sec.

EDIT: So I accidentally put Ragna as Yuri's rival. That was dumb, so I made it Squigly instead. We need a character with a stance-based moveset, anyway :P. Also I included Setsuna and Ky, as suggested by Chazzanova.

So I'm thinking that, as this roster is growing quite a bit, I'd have to plan out the hypothetical releases of this project in steps. I'd probably initially release it with the smaller roster I had originally planned, then add others via DLC or whatever. Similar plan to what SeanAltly had with CvtW, I think.
Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:28:26 am by Steel Komodo
#18  April 25, 2014, 02:25:08 am
I don't know if this game will ever 'be made', but your top priority should be John Cena because he is the champ and he is here.
#19  April 25, 2014, 03:47:28 am
    • UK
I don't know if this game will ever 'be made', but your top priority should be John Cena because he is the champ and he is here.

Pffffft, good point. Of all the characters on the World roster, he's the one who needs the most work done, since nobody's actually made him for MUGEN yet. I do know he'll be getting the Attitude Adjustment for his DM, and the Five-Knuckle Shuffle for a Super, but other than that I can't think of much else to do with him, apart from maybe the Protobomb as a command throw.

Maybe less is more when it comes to some characters. Or maybe I need to watch more John Cena vids to get inspiration.
#20  April 25, 2014, 04:02:00 am
    • USA
Out of curiosity, will you do individual releases like Sean Altly did with his characters? I'm a huge Cena fan and would love to play as him outside of the full game. 
*New Site* (W.I.P)
(Willing to host creations, just hit me up!)
https://cozysquirtlemugen.weebly.com/