YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2501361 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#9561  May 02, 2021, 03:10:10 am
Collabs are either to advertise the franchise that's joining as guest, or to advertise the franchise that's inviting. Hokuto no ken, Power Rangers want to gather attention to themselves. Even Fortnite is just firehosing money everywhere to try and appeal to everyone on the planet, but it only works on people who are already playing it, so call it fanservice.
Not sure why KoFAS isn't doing it too but somehow I don't see it happening.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#9562  May 02, 2021, 03:54:20 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
...A fragrance line?  I recall it being weird when FFXIII was demoing some French purses and clothing line, but what's this?  Aroma of Blanka sweat?

Because that'd just be the little Blanka Ono carried around with him.
#9563  May 02, 2021, 04:18:48 am
    • Argentina
Well, thanks to f2p games for android and / or consoles, which is that they are exploiting a lot what crossovers are.
Of the games that had installed the last crossovers I saw are for a final fantasy game with the collaboration of nier automata, seven deadly sins grand cross with stranger things xD, and not to mention kof all stars who had collaboration with WWE and
Capcom has thought for megaman x dive to make crossovers with games from the same company (to begin with) although another game collaborated with them before xD and not to mention one of the most exploited person 5 who knows how many games he will open, the last that I remember was at the AFK arena.
A and forget to mention that now they also add famous and popular youtubers.  xD
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#9564  May 02, 2021, 04:51:22 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Collabs are either to advertise the franchise that's joining as guest, or to advertise the franchise that's inviting. Hokuto no ken, Power Rangers want to gather attention to themselves. Even Fortnite is just firehosing money everywhere to try and appeal to everyone on the planet, but it only works on people who are already playing it, so call it fanservice.
I mean, it's great and all, but I've never seen this much Street Fighter collaboration before, and this year is not halfway done.

I find it interesting that all this happened right after a change in management occured in Capcom with Ono leaving the company and now we have all this beginning with the Summoner Wars collab.  That's just me tho.

...A fragrance line?  I recall it being weird when FFXIII was demoing some French purses and clothing line, but what's this?  Aroma of Blanka sweat?
Oh yea, it's a thing now.  Along with a new meme face to haunt your dreams.
#9565  May 02, 2021, 05:13:56 am
    • USA
Huh.  Missed opportunity to go ham with the ad using the water distortion effects of every character's inhuman amounts of sweat from SFxT's ads and cinematics.  SFxT might not have been amazing, but it sure left a mental image of some absurdly cool trailers and bizarre effects.

Of the games that had installed the last crossovers I saw are for a final fantasy game with the collaboration of nier automata
I've actually been curious what the hell this is.  Since getting into Nier heavily and Automata temporarily taking over my life, I'm vaguely aware of the dark skinned color swap Not-2B that's loosely canonical to Automata actual but only appears in this FF crossover and Soul Calibur as just a skin and plays some role in FF's story.  I'm assuming it's akin to the Assassin's Creed one, an off-shoot non-canon thing that if you stretch your imagination it can barely make sense.  I'm also assuming its nothing monumental, I can't imagine it actually making sense since FF has, you know, non-androids that'd mind crush any Automata character meeting them.
#9566  May 02, 2021, 03:40:48 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
You must be referring to the YoRHa:  Dark Apocalypse quest in Final Fantasy XIV.  It's an optional storyline and a series of 24-player raids based off of Nier: Automata.  All the new bosses and areas are modeled after ones found in Automata; in one of them you can even find 2B's bedroom.  Nothing super-earth shattering in terms of story;  A standard issue "rift between dimensions" dumps a boatload of buildings, tech, and other junk from the NieR universe into the FFXIV universe.  An android named 2P creates an army of replicas of herself to conquer/destroy Eorzea because of reasons, and 2B and 9S show up and join forces with the Warriors of Light to stop her. 

As far as NieR lore goes you get a pretty hefty dump of it shoehorned in via random notes to collect.  I will say that when I started playing through that questline I knew literally nothing about NieR or it's lore, and by the time I finished it I felt like I knew significantly less.
#9567  May 02, 2021, 04:17:00 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
:O
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXil5xP6FJs[/youtube]

There has to be some bad blood between SNK and Capcom. It makes no sense for them to evade each for so long considering SNK has also been partnering with every  franchise they can. We have SamSho characters in SC, Terry in Fighting Layer, Iori in that anime game, an upcoming GG in SamSho and on top of that not one but two sorta-kinda-official/unnoficial crossover with Terry in Smash and Geese in Tekken duking it out with the shotos.
#9568  May 02, 2021, 06:46:18 pm
    • Brazil

Well, we could still get a crossover between them this year. We know SF5 has a mysterious DLC fighter, which could be someone from SNK (though I'd prefer a Darkstalkers one) and KoF XV has yet to reveal its complete roster, so it could contain a SF guest. Its not guaranteed, of course, but its a possibility.
#9569  May 02, 2021, 11:14:59 pm
    • USA
You must be referring to the YoRHa:  Dark Apocalypse quest in Final Fantasy XIV.  It's an optional storyline and a series of 24-player raids based off of Nier: Automata.  All the new bosses and areas are modeled after ones found in Automata; in one of them you can even find 2B's bedroom.  Nothing super-earth shattering in terms of story;  A standard issue "rift between dimensions" dumps a boatload of buildings, tech, and other junk from the NieR universe into the FFXIV universe.  An android named 2P creates an army of replicas of herself to conquer/destroy Eorzea because of reasons, and 2B and 9S show up and join forces with the Warriors of Light to stop her. 

As far as NieR lore goes you get a pretty hefty dump of it shoehorned in via random notes to collect.  I will say that when I started playing through that questline I knew literally nothing about NieR or it's lore, and by the time I finished it I felt like I knew significantly less.
See, if I hadn't burnt myself out on MMOs by Everquest and quazi-Diablo II if you want to count its online Hardcore mode, this would be hook enough for me to play just to explore this.  But I have had just absolutely zero desire to play any MMO for years upon years.  More monthly payments don't help sway my decision either.  Much rather buy a game and be done with it.

....Also what the hell kind of raid takes place 2B's small shuttle bedroom?  That sterile cot fit for military service has standing room for about 2-4 people in it.  What, is it some elaborate 9S hacking boss taking place on the Web?  How do the FF cast even get to the space station?  And any sort of battle results in the whole station blowing up, there's multiple scenarios that have just that happen in Automata.  Even a joke one when you self-destruct on it, killing everyone.

Not that I'm asking you to answer all that, just....weird to consider they even tried to explain the crossover's possibilities and outcome since by very nature of it happening the YoRHa machines would be losing their minds and/or killing themselves.
#9570  May 03, 2021, 01:49:06 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
....Also what the hell kind of raid takes place 2B's small shuttle bedroom?  That sterile cot fit for military service has standing room for about 2-4 people in it.  What, is it some elaborate 9S hacking boss taking place on the Web?  How do the FF cast even get to the space station?  And any sort of battle results in the whole station blowing up, there's multiple scenarios that have just that happen in Automata.  Even a joke one when you self-destruct on it, killing everyone.

One raid dungeon is called "The Puppets' Bunker" which is based off the Bunker from Automata.  You follow a path through the structure, and one of the side rooms you can access is 2B's room.  There's no boss fight or any encounter there, but from what I've come to understand it's a faithful recreation from the source game.  Mostly just an easter egg.

And the fight doesn't actually take place in space.  To go into a bit more detail, the dimensional rift basically caused simulacra of locations from Automata (The Abandoned Factory, the Bunker, and the Tower) and all the technology therein to crash into FFXIV world some several thousand years before civilization sprang up there;  long enough for plate tectonics and the formation of mountain ranges to hide it all away in a series of lost caves and valleys where it stayed in hibernation until some dwarven miners and engineers accidentally found it and started turning stuff back on.
#9571  May 03, 2021, 04:48:49 am
    • USA
Oh, you did answer it.  Well....that's a weird roundabout way of getting around things I guess.  Doesn't quite explain them not going mental at seeing something actual flesh and blood that's sentient, but whatever, say they lost that part of their programming over the ages I guess.  Probably would be too much of a cop out ending if they did that, self-destruct and blow away the whole mountain range.  Still need a game to actually play.

The Bunker is such a weird choice to go for, though?  It's 99% the safe town part of the game until a certain part.  Surprised they didn't go with the Amusement Park.  Shows up a lot in each playthrough.  Its got the best OST after all. (Not counting "The Weight of the World", of course)  Oh well.  Having that might challenge FF's age rating, given the likely enemies they would have if they were pulling from Automata.
Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:56:59 am by Long John Killer
#9572  May 15, 2021, 02:08:56 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Go Sega!!! Go!!!  :smash: #RetroGamingMarketRulez

https://www.comingsoon.net/games/news/1173844-sega-potential-reboots-crazy-taxi-virtua-fighter-jet-set-radio

During their recent financial call, Sega revealed a list of dormant franchises that they believe still have potential in today’s gaming market. Including everything from Crazy Taxi to Rez to House of the Dead, it’s an exciting group of names for anyone who’s a fan of the Sega of old.

The publisher has changed a lot in modern times, going from a jack of all trades to a producer of a few very specific franchises. Names like Total War and Football Manager would be foreign to fans of Sega Genesis, but they’re some of the company’s biggest moneymakers alongside Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega recognizes just how many valuable franchises from the past they control, which is why they’ve also worked on licensing deals with outside studios in order to create nostalgic reimaginings of some of their best work. Some, like Streets of Rage 4, prove that they can work just as well in the modern age. Others, like Shenmue 3, can’t quite cut the mustard. Either way, there’s now a proven market for this type of rework, and Sega is clearly telegraphing which franchises could be next.

Meanwhile in the Fatal Frame franchise...............  >_>

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3664803/fatal-frame-gets-the-silent-hill-treatment-in-a-new-pachinko-machine/

It’s sad but true. Despite series producer Keisuke Kikuchi and his repeated views that he’d like to revisit the series (notably for its 20th anniversary), Koei Tecmo has apparently decided to give Fatal Frame fans a gift in the form of a new pachislot machine.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#9573  May 20, 2021, 04:30:08 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Sadly no new characters in this trailer yet. Curious if this will have 3 or 4 players. Have to admit the graphics looks better now looking more like a quality arcade game or a 32 bit quality game like Astal or Rayearth.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.

CF7

#9574  May 20, 2021, 12:48:44 pm
#9575  May 23, 2021, 04:32:26 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
TimeSplitters being back is one of the best news ever. TS2 was one of my favourite childhood games.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#9576  May 26, 2021, 12:41:55 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
We're truly living in the golden age of Super Robot Wars getting English translations: Super Robot Wars GC has just received a full English translation.

series list:

Super Beast Machine God Dancouga
Galaxy Cyclone Braiger
Galactic Gale Baxingar
Galactic Whirlwind Sasuraigar
Invincible Robot Trider G7
Strongest Robo Daiohja
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Metal Armor Dragonar
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Z Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Absolutely Invincible Raijin-Oh
Mazinkaiser
Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo
Future Robo Daltanius

Unlike most SRW games, GC uses 3D models for its battle scenes instead of the detailed 2D spritework the series is known for. It's also essentially the only Super Robot Wars game that actually uses the original Gundam series—for the first decade of the franchise, the original Gundam appeared in basically every single game, but those games either had little to no plot (the first few games) or just used a few mechs and minor characters from the show; this is in contrast to every other Gundam series, which all have at least one game where they're the undisputed star of. This is because it'd be very, very difficult to feature the plot of the original Gundam alongside it's many sequels: it'd be like, I dunno, trying to have the plotlines of both the original Star Wars trilogy happen while the plot of the sequel trilogy was happening, it just wouldn't make any sense.

This makes Super Robot Wars GC a real rarity, because it makes the original Gundam a centerpiece of the game, and finally gives it a starring role. And besides just Gundam, it's one of the only SRW games with Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, which means it's also one of the only games with TEXAS MOTHERFUCKING MACK

GOTY 2021
#9577  June 07, 2021, 05:30:37 am
    • Argentina
new trailer
#9578  June 08, 2021, 07:00:53 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Release date changed to June 22