YesNoOk

massive SF2 project (Read 15073 times)

Started by gdk1981, October 09, 2021, 07:39:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: massive SF2 project
#21  October 15, 2021, 07:55:20 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
I am probably going to stick with the traditional SF2 arcade resolution just to retain the feel of the original. Again, the idea is to feel like you're playing SF2 but with (in a sense) access to every character from the series in one game and with some updated mechanics. I'm definitely open to using something other than MUGEN as well, though I would just need to find someone willing to invest in a project like this.

Understood! But one more question,

which aspect ratio to use? The unaltered pixel aspect, based on the internal resolution from the arcades (384x224)? Or a resized one, based on the resolution it was displayed on the 4:3 screens of the time (320x240)?

In either option, I can help adapting pre-existing stages to the resolution choosen for the project. :)

Also, for the most authentic SF2 feel, IKEMEN is the better engine to use. Besides the already mentioned stage interactivity, it also has a built-in score system, stun, and the option to change/reset the bg music mid match;

#22  October 15, 2021, 08:29:20 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
I suppose the 320 x 240 resolution makes more sense for big TV screens!   Some basic questions about IKEMEN for the purposes of this project . . . does it handle AI well?  While I love multiplayer, I have gotten into playing the entire series against the computer over the years, so gotta have solid AI options.  Also, is IKEMEN able to handle both winning and losing portraits?  I do like the score system and dizzy features you mentioned--those are essential as well to the overall feel of the original.
Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:35:57 pm by gdk1981
#23  October 16, 2021, 10:04:54 am
  • Why,
I suppose the 320 x 240 resolution makes more sense for big TV screens!   Some basic questions about IKEMAN for the purposes of this project . . . does it handle AI well?  While I love multiplayer, I have gotten into playing the entire series against the computer over the years, so gotta have stolid AI options.  Also, is IKEMAN able to handle both winning and losing portraits?  I do like the score system and dizzy features you mentioned--those are essential as well to the overall feel of the original.
Ikeman?? IKEMEN GO... it is...
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#24  October 16, 2021, 12:50:27 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I suppose the 320 x 240 resolution makes more sense for big TV screens!   Some basic questions about IKEMAN for the purposes of this project . . . does it handle AI well?  While I love multiplayer, I have gotten into playing the entire series against the computer over the years, so gotta have stolid AI options.  Also, is IKEMAN able to handle both winning and losing portraits?  I do like the score system and dizzy features you mentioned--those are essential as well to the overall feel of the original.
Ikeman?? IKEMEN GO... it is...

He just mispelled a single word. Not a BIG problem, kid. Can you help him aside typping this small detail?

-------------------------

If the project were in another graphic style(CvS, for example), I'd gladly help, but SF2 is totaly out of my league. I can not get that style well :/ .

Good luck!!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#25  October 16, 2021, 02:38:19 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Yes, I am welcoming all expert IKEMEN GO information so we can make a call here with how to move ahead with this project!  Bring it on, bring it on. I'm pretty confident that with video displays, this would be a fairly popular mod.
#26  October 16, 2021, 09:22:17 pm
  • Wandering....
Seeing SF1 together with Final Fight in CPS1 style sprites feels like a What if it was Capcom that did it's own version of KOF like FG.

Any plans to add Final Fight2 and FinalFight3 characters in SF2 Style?
#27  October 16, 2021, 09:31:32 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Sure--I am starting with characters who appeared in at least one SF game, but the FF universe is so inextricably linked to SF that I may as well open the doors.  I am thinking, too, that I may offer (sort of as a deal) to include new requested characters in exchange for help coding them/implementing them.  Just an idea. 

But from FF--I had already planned on including Poison, Damnd, Abigail, Rolento, and Edi.
#28  October 16, 2021, 10:30:31 pm
    • USA
Sure--I am starting with characters who appeared in at least one SF game, but the FF universe is so inextricably linked to SF that I may as well open the doors.  I am thinking, too, that I may offer (sort of as a deal) to include new requested characters in exchange for help coding them/implementing them.  Just an idea. 

But from FF--I had already planned on including Poison, Damnd, Abigail, Rolento, and Edi.

That would be cool. But perhaps have restrictions on what requested characters can be included; again limit it to the Vs series, EX, and stuff like that, but open it up to Marvel/Tatsunoko superheroes and characters like Megaman, but only if other people help you with those characters. And also, FF had Maki who was in Alpha 3 MAX
Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:34:05 pm by Miru962
#29  October 16, 2021, 11:49:47 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
By any chance, can you post a preview of anything moving??
Video or animated gif?
I would like to see it for few characters.

I truely like the concept of this game, but it's very hard for me to believe such a fantasy game can exist.
I mean, without working like 15-20 years on it. (perhaps I'm just too slow compared to you guys)

I just want to see something you guys sprited, moving... not necessarly with coding and all, but just to see how it actually moves.
#30  October 17, 2021, 01:44:29 am
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Sure thing, I will just send a clip of El Fuerte vs. Gouken tomorrow. You'll see that the charas animate just like the SF2 originals! Like I said, this is definitely not a 10-15 year project as I've already completed the bulk of character spriting (by far the most expensive, time-consuming aspect of these projects and why many never get off the ground), and have a pretty good system in place with my team to complete many more in a short period of time. It's totally conceivable that if I can find a few other decent coders who could even just paste my anims on existing charas and mod a bit, the whole thing is playable by spring. That is, with the above characters and likely 8-10 more. 

I do art on the side, and the rest of the animation process just isn't cheap = ).
#31  October 17, 2021, 12:26:41 pm
  • Wandering....
Damned is great. I was also thinking of Maki, Lucia and Dean.

I'm excited with EL Fuerte and Gouken tommorow
#32  October 17, 2021, 06:27:24 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
As promised, here's a quick little video of some sloppy fighting between Gouken and El Fuerte, just to show that all of these characters are indeed animated, haha.  Had fellow import my sprites into existing MUGEN characters with a few slight tweaks.  There are a few frame errors (transparent background got messed up), but again, just a little preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSS5qeOzYoY
#33  October 17, 2021, 08:01:47 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Oh my, that's awesome!

The only negative point I'd say is about modern sparks and some of them being misplaced. Aside this small detail, everything looks  fine :)
I swear there was something cool here!!
#34  October 17, 2021, 08:05:10 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Haha I actually didn't place any of those sparks--they are from the original characters. Those are all going to be replaced (along with Gouken's fireball anims) for the actual game.
#35  October 17, 2021, 08:50:52 pm
  • Wandering....
Great stuff thanks for sharing your work.

EL Fuerte in CPS1 style in action!
#36  October 17, 2021, 08:55:32 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
The spriting quality is pretty good and would match SF2 style with no major problem.
But I can definitely see flaws about how characters moves.
It can be fixed. Same for the way El Fuerte hits ground when falling or having only the arm moving when punching (instead of full body)

The amount of work you did for all of that is incredible.

these sprtites definitely deserve to be used in actual SSF2 type characters!
#37  October 17, 2021, 09:07:27 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Thanks everyone!  Yeah, I believe a host of small fixes and polishes could easily be handled if I can get a good team together here.  So for everyone reading--am I ultimately limited doing all of this with MUGEN?  The dizzy states, win/loss portraits, and breakable background objects (and perhaps a scoring system) are all pretty integral to the feel of the original, and if only IKEMEN can handle those features, I suppose that's the way to go. 

I would just like to keep pumping out art and have an interested team to put together the characters in MUGEN or IEMEN GO and consult with one another regarding AI, potential additional character features (such as including character moves from subsequent games, which is easy), and overall quality.
#38  October 17, 2021, 09:44:41 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Time to reveal something: I've been working with him in some characters already, as I coded Ken and I am finishing Adon.
About the engine, its up to him, but I am coding using Mugen yet. I want to try it for sure, there is a lot of potential.
But I am not familiar with it yet.

Here are some more screenshots:

- The combos aren't 100% SF2, as the characters have magic series

- Special Move finish from MVC

- Hyper Combo Finish from SSF2

Oh my, that's awesome!

The only negative point I'd say is about modern sparks and some of them being misplaced. Aside this small detail, everything looks  fine :)
That wasn't coded by me and I think its just to show the sprites in action :)
#39  October 17, 2021, 10:06:07 pm
  • Fighting Game Promoter
  • YouTube Promoter for all Fighting games alike!
    • USA
This is really extensive! I hope to see more, especially seeing Gouken and El Fuerte in action.
#40  October 17, 2021, 11:16:38 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Not sure how I feel about magic series if the rest of the gameplay system aims for accuracy. But this is really exciting.