YesNoOk

Angel updated (06/06/2021) (Read 18278 times)

Started by KarmaCharmeleon, June 04, 2021, 03:56:00 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Angel released
#21  June 05, 2021, 10:08:38 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
I agree that there's  nothing wrong with a tough and formidable AI, but every wall has cracks, you know? Even the best players make mistakes, I just only ever feel like whenever I get hits on some of Karma's characters it's due to luck or the AI letting me. I also understand I'm not the best player in the world, and I never claimed to be, but a lot of the stuff the AI gets away with is ridiculous lol
#22  June 05, 2021, 02:13:21 pm
I adore her AI tbh, she uses her entire kit, when she even has bar she super cancels to a level from a level 1 to a level 2, does her mix ups as she should, excel combos,very fun to fight.

The thing with Angel is she starts her combos by using 2 normals, she never had good buttons and is very easy to read, doge, block, etc.
You need to be aware of her range and your range and punish her, she will mix you up, its what she does, there's no way around it, if you mange to block her mix ups though she is WIDE open.

#23  June 05, 2021, 03:08:50 pm
lol no wonder i couldn't do people's elbow it's 2K not 2P.
#24  June 05, 2021, 08:30:24 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
There are good Angels to play with and then perfection just arrived!! Funniest Angel to play with, IMHO!!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#25  June 05, 2021, 08:39:15 pm
  • MUGEN MEMES
Didn't get a chance to test her but I can tell, he made the GREATEST Angel in PotS Style
Emerie's MUGEN Content

Everyone have Greatness :)

Don't give up... just... take a break :(
#26  June 05, 2021, 11:04:43 pm
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
One more minor thing I forgot to mention, there's a mistake in the ReadMe: FullMoon Evening is performed with F,F,+Z but the ReadMe lists it as F,F+Y.
#27  June 05, 2021, 11:16:02 pm
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
Okay guys, first of all: thank you so much for the wholesome support :) I’m glad you guys are liking Angel because I invested a ton of time into both getting her and understanding how to properly convert her to this kind of gameplay.

With that out of the way, let’s address the feedback:
I think I already know whats going on here, its based on char size cause you're moving the sprite for the grab to look better.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This is indeed related to character size, particularly to how I used the head.pos constant to determine Angel’s position. This caused even more issues during development but I’ll try to get it fixed this time. The result might implicate some wonky looking animation against shorter characters, but I’ll try to mitigate as much as possible.

Are there supposed to be two hit sparks here ?
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Yes! The connecting with the run causes a hitspark to pop. It even counts in the hitcounter. All Ranbu moves do that, even in CvS2!
Thanks for the reports, PeXXer!
Survivor's Banquet is listed as 2p instead of 2k. I also feel like it's missing the Slam impact sound.
Both things fixed, nice catch on the slam impact! I was using the wrong channel :P
- I think she gains a bit too much meter too quickly.
- This is intentional.
- Changing it might've been intentional but the shared motion of Starlit Field and MAX Loyalty Test for Liberalists should have a slashing effect, as Angel is scratching your face during the moves rather than breaking your neck.
- This is also intentional. I think there was a dissonance between Angel’s spriter and programmer, because the sprites suggest a neckbreak to me. This is even clearer when you look at the move in XIV, which I took as reference for the throw, something clear by the subsequent kick.
- There should be a pause before the LTfL autocombo after it connects, it shouldn't immediately go into the combo, I don't think.
- Any reasoning behind this? I’m not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely asking, I don’t recall these kind of moves having a pause before the combo, and Angel is no exception in KoF for sure.
- Angel is facing the wrong way during her power charge and the start-up of Survivor's Banquet.
- This is once again intentional. I also think that there was a dissonance for this frame too, because if you look at Angel’s sprite-rips you’ll see that the sprite originally faces the way I have it, but for some reason the programmer decided to flip it horizontally. I think it looks better non-flipped.

Now, regarding the AI. Angel does have clear glaring weaknesses that carry over to AI. You can exploit them. PeXXer pretty much summarized what you will need to do to win against her, but lemme run a little bit deeper.
Angel has three weaknesses: her buttons are bad, they are not suited for footsies; her mixups are unsafe, all of them are minus on block; and her wakeup game is non-existing without meter. I’ll elaborate on the first one of them, because it would be easy for me to tell you “just space her out, man”:
Angel has mediocre range and unsafe buttons all over the place. Because of this, she pretty much always want to be at point blank, with you in the corner if possible. To address this you need to have her either at the other side of the screen, or at a range where she is significantly less threatening. However, she does have a single tool that allows her to close the game if you zone her out, and that is Red Sky. With Red Sky she can approach you real fast and get in range to fuck you up. Read Sky, however, needs of proper spacing to be safe. Let us see at which range Angel needs to be to use Read Sky safely:

Now, how do you answer to this? You need to react by moving backwards or forwards. You move backwards if she does it from the longest range, and forwards if she does it from the closest range. This will make the move whiff or connect sooner (hence, becoming minus), and letting you punish her. It is the exact same dynamic as Rasetsumaru’s shoulder.
You can also be more aggressive and corner her into a range where she cannot use Red Sky at all, and zone her with mid-range normal. Your character might not be Sagat, Blanka, or a mid-range character like Haohmaru, but this is how match-ups works.

This covers how you should space Angel. For the two other weaknesses, I will not go that deep. Even tho AI blocks are good, oki is not always about knocking down your opponent again, but to prevent them for running their own offense. If you are being jabbed, you might be not timing things right.
Punishing her mixups is the most reliable way to win against Angel, tho. Not a single block string of her is safe, no matter where she ends the mixup. However, for this one… You need to get used to the matchup. For this last thing, I need to say that you might have been a bit rash with your judgment. You barely had any chance to play against Angel because I released her yesterday so I highly doubt you had any time to get used to read her moves. Fighting against mixup characters takes practice. If you hop in expecting to mash your way into the round you are in for a bad time. You will have to memorize her startups to block appropriately. Eventually you will just hop back out of the unblockable and punish her every time, but you’ll have to get hit by it a couple of times first, especially if you are a casual player (nothing wrong with being casual).

I'll wait for the day to see if there's anything else to fix. Usually SolidZone pops up with specific stuff so I think it's worth waiting. Otherwise I'll drop an update tomorrow. Once again thank you for the warm reception, guys c:
Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:04:21 am by KarmaCharmeleon
#28  June 05, 2021, 11:24:03 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Really fun character to play. Great job, Karma! And thanks Kouhai for releasing your commission to the public!

BTW, Midnight Bliss doesn't work properly :P
#29  June 05, 2021, 11:26:19 pm
    • Germany
One more minor thing I forgot to mention, there's a mistake in the ReadMe: FullMoon Evening is performed with F,F,+Z but the ReadMe lists it as F,F+Y.
Forgot to mention this! Fixed.
Really fun character to play. Great job, Karma! And thanks Kouhai for releasing your commission to the public!

BTW, Midnight Bliss doesn't work properly :P

Classic Karma's bug haha. Fixed, thanks sabockee :)
#30  June 05, 2021, 11:46:59 pm
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Might've been a mix of my mindset of fearing most of your characters, inexperience with fighting Angel and the fact that my personal playstyle is very much just "Get in their face and suffocate them" which doesn't seem to work against her lol. It seems to mostly be about punishing her and predicting her mix ups and 50/50s which has always been a weak spot for me. I'll work on it a bit better, I can handle her with Kyosuke, it seems.

On the neck snap, I figured it was more intentional, didn't realize that's how it was in XIV though. I feel it could use a hitspark and some envshake in both instances though.

About the pause, it was mostly a suggestion for flavor sake. Not a major pause, something akin to the Ryuko Ranbu, specifically Jmorph's Ryo, and DivineWolf's and Rowen's respective Roberts. How once they connect the super, they have to sort of get into position, as it were lol.
#31  June 06, 2021, 12:11:41 am
I said it in the WIP thread but those midnight bliss sprites are awesome, Xenomic did a wonderfull job.
He/She really captured the Darkstalkers feel with them yet somehow when I see them they remind me of that SVC Chaos Athena boss.
Hats off to Dampir as well, he pretty much added the animations you wanted really fast.

#32  June 06, 2021, 06:04:21 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
I'll wait for the day to see if there's anything else to fix. Usually SolidZone pops up with specific stuff so I think it's worth waiting. Otherwise I'll drop an update tomorrow. Once again thank you for the warm reception, guys c:
And here I am with my feedback. Been spending a day trying to play this character so pardon if it's late:
-All the hits of Go Go Futen Girl! and the first hit of Starlit Field have no envshake.
-The strong ground shockwave effect on Reppun Kamui seems to cut off when it makes contact with the opponent.
-Beyond Frames, Red Sky of Yaponesia and Loyalty Test for Liberalists could use sliding dust on the end of their animations.
-Red Sky of Yaponesia could use a swing sound when it successfully connects.
-There doesn't seem to be a difference between the normal and EX version of Mad Murder Roulette besides damage.

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar how the character plays here and the source game so I hope this feedback still helps. Also regarding my username, I'm thinking about changing it to ZolidSone due to personal reasons so I like to be referred and credited as that from now on.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#33  June 06, 2021, 01:07:49 pm
    • Germany
I know it was worth waiting :D
-All the hits of Go Go Futen Girl! and the first hit of Starlit Field have no envshake.
I don't use them in throws.
-The strong ground shockwave effect on Reppun Kamui seems to cut off when it makes contact with the opponent.
Fixed.
-Beyond Frames, Red Sky of Yaponesia and Loyalty Test for Liberalists could use sliding dust on the end of their animations.
Added.
Added.
-There doesn't seem to be a difference between the normal and EX version of Mad Murder Roulette besides damage.
It launches the opponent higher.

Thank you so much for the feedback, ZolidSone :)

Angel updated!

Spoiler: Changelog (click to see content)
Re: Angel updated (06/06/2021)
#34  June 06, 2021, 03:55:05 pm
  • Why,
I know it was worth waiting :D
I don't use them in throws.
Fixed.
Added.
Added.
It launches the opponent higher.

Thank you so much for the feedback, ZolidSone :)

Angel updated!

Spoiler: Changelog (click to see content)

What game she is?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#35  June 06, 2021, 04:52:35 pm
  • The other Indian
    • India
Hey, did you increase her sprite size? She looks taller than her last version, kinda tall for a 5'6 character.
#36  June 06, 2021, 07:34:26 pm
    • Germany
#37  June 06, 2021, 08:17:10 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
Made a Video with your Angel against R.Mika. Great Char!

Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#38  June 06, 2021, 09:17:44 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Hey, did you increase her sprite size? She looks taller than her last version, kinda tall for a 5'6 character.
I have not change her sprite size!
[/quote]

Yes, I didn't noticed specific change.
Karma didn't changed her I think.

I will try my best with my broken english :
As an information Dampir have a very specific scalling method not based on percentage, but on adding a certain number of pixels to final size.
So, basically, Angel is a very thin-vertical character in term of display in KOF. so, Dampir method would just make her even more tall/thin/vertical.
I suggest to scale her...
Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:46:12 pm by Nedflandeurse
#39  June 06, 2021, 09:55:13 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Just one little feedback after testing the updated version.
- The hit count in "Loyalty Test for Liberalists" (MAX Version) doesn't connect before the two last hits.
https://streamable.com/ai3zaa

And her sprite size is ok, i compared with R. Mika since both have the same Height.
#40  June 06, 2021, 10:36:30 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Just one little feedback after testing the updated version.
- The hit count in "Loyalty Test for Liberalists" (MAX Version) doesn't connect before the two last hits.
https://streamable.com/ai3zaa

And her sprite size is ok, i compared with R. Mika since both have the same Height.

Well, R. Mika is hunched over in her sprite and is a different sprite style, so I would be careful of that comparison