YesNoOk

I'm Looking for Beta Testers! (Read 27544 times)

Started by Sean Altly, September 22, 2021, 12:05:03 am
Share this topic:
I'm Looking for Beta Testers!
#1  September 22, 2021, 12:05:03 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
Hey guys, I recently finished implementing the offense and defense system into each character in the game (huge thanks to KarmaChameleon for coding the defense system for me and helping me implement it). I've been doing some self testing for bugs and issues, but I need some fresh eyes on what's done so far.

I need 5-10 beta testers who really understand Mugen in the code department, and fighting games in the balance department. I need feedback on not just bugs and fixes, but character movesets and balance. I also would like notes and feedback on the Offense/Defense system.

If you're interested respond here. If more than 5 to 10 people volunteer I will have to choose who gets it, please don't take it personally, just don't want it too widely distributed.

The version of the game I send will have all 10 characters, but only one or two stages since I'm still working on those.

Download Last Bout now!
Re: I'm Looking for Beta Testers!
#2  September 22, 2021, 12:12:45 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I may lack the time to do so, but I can surely try it out for ya' and express the odd thought on it.
I can definitely judge movesets, but balance could be a lil' harder because it requires a lotta analysis.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:16:17 am by RagingRowen
#3  September 22, 2021, 12:39:07 am
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA
I have all the time, and the fighting game experience to beta test your game! Not to mention I would be honored.
#4  September 23, 2021, 12:31:10 am
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
I'm have interest in test this.

PS: I don't have much experience in code, bur, I can look the balance os the chars in gameplay.
Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:34:19 am by Akito
#5  September 23, 2021, 06:00:51 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Do you all think a better use of a single stock of the defense bar would be an Alpha Counter/Guard Cancel Attack, or a Guard Cancel Dash/Roll?

Download Last Bout now!
#6  September 23, 2021, 02:01:22 pm
    • USA
Guard Cancel Dash
#7  September 28, 2021, 03:50:46 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
If I included both, and one were worth a whole bar, and one was worth half a bar (out of two total bars), which would be worth more?

Download Last Bout now!
#8  September 28, 2021, 09:16:15 am
    • USA
GCD should be worth less than Alpha Counter. Definitely.
#9  October 07, 2021, 02:55:17 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
I'd like to take a look at it. Curious to see where things are going with this game, as opposed to having played all of the "Shades of Manhattan" games.

If anything, I hope this works out. It looks quite promising.
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪
#10  October 07, 2021, 10:28:30 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Alright cool, I'm glad people are interested! I'm very badly hung up on stages stuff right now, I may send out a beta with simple placeholder stages in it though.

Download Last Bout now!
#11  October 08, 2021, 03:57:23 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
Alright cool, I'm glad people are interested! I'm very badly hung up on stages stuff right now, I may send out a beta with simple placeholder stages in it though.

Food for thought, rather than doing stages that are based on where these people are from (which is often the norm in fighting games), why not do stages based on what their fighting style is. (i.e. wrestling ring, MMA cage, etc)... or is there something else you might have in mind?
#12  October 21, 2021, 02:26:29 am
im down to beta test for you! i actually helped other ikemen devs test their game before but im not to familiar with coding but as a fighting game player i think im pretty good
#13  November 10, 2021, 08:48:52 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA

Food for thought, rather than doing stages that are based on where these people are from (which is often the norm in fighting games), why not do stages based on what their fighting style is. (i.e. wrestling ring, MMA cage, etc)... or is there something else you might have in mind?

So I ended up running with an idea based on what you said here. Rather than have stages strictly represent their country, and continuing with the idea I originally had of the stages being simulated since tehy're all supposed to be fighting in one place in a tournament, I imagined that each competitor would be asked what their stage should be. So each stage reflects where each fighter would feel most at home in a fight, which led to stuff like Bryce's stage being on a bridge over a peaceful forest river, Tristan's being his own family's mansion garden even though he's been cut off by them, Siege's being a cold steel platform in cloudy gray weather, and so on. Some represent their country, some represent where they are most comfortable in competition.

Here's a new Arcade video with Bryce, where you can see most of the stages.

I'm putting the final touches on some stuff and will be sending the beta out soon.

Download Last Bout now!
#14  November 10, 2021, 09:43:45 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
May I ask if the bottom left corner of the select screen is gonna be used for anything besides the Training char?

Presentation is definitely a rise up from the SHADES series. Good shit. Can I assume that the statue in Illian's statue is yet to be changed to him?

Have you considered IKEMEN by any chance? That would definitely raise ongoing interest because of the online stuff.

I'll wait patiently for the beta as I just feel teased by the vid.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#15  November 17, 2021, 06:02:02 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
The bottom two spots will just be random select. When I send the Beta out, the training character will be included for testing purposes. The statue has had the hair edited to look like Illian and some other stuff removed, I think it does the job as is.

And yeah I am very strongly considering moving this to Ikemen just for the in-game movelists alone, but also for the unlockable character feature, dizzy points and all that. I just haven't tried porting the stuff yet (though I'm told it's easy) and I'm a bit short on cash to pay Mordecool to port it for me.

Also the beta will be sent out very soon, possibly today. No intro or endings, just the characters, basic AI, stages, and the training tool to practice with.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  November 17, 2021, 08:03:56 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
The bottom two spots will just be random select. When I send the Beta out, the training character will be included for testing purposes. The statue has had the hair edited to look like Illian and some other stuff removed, I think it does the job as is.

And yeah I am very strongly considering moving this to Ikemen just for the in-game movelists alone, but also for the unlockable character feature, dizzy points and all that. I just haven't tried porting the stuff yet (though I'm told it's easy) and I'm a bit short on cash to pay Mordecool to port it for me.

Also the beta will be sent out very soon, possibly today. No intro or endings, just the characters, basic AI, stages, and the training tool to practice with.

Very cool, this looks like it'll be quite the game to play once it is fully realized.

Yeah, as far as I know, porting characters to IKEMEN is quite easy, but I'm not so sure about crossplay between MUGEN and IKEMEN, as I do believe, a lot of the IKEMEN features do not exist within MUGEN, so once you do port your characters, they will no longer function on 1.0/1.1 (as far as I remember).

So there's a good chance a large number of people that review characters and even betting groups like SaltyBet and SpriteClub would then no longer be able to review, test, or even give their thoughts on them when against the large grand scheme of MUGEN as a whole.
#17  November 19, 2021, 04:55:50 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Sent the Beta out, check your PMs!

Download Last Bout now!
#18  January 06, 2022, 10:59:39 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
So the game is basically done from a gameplay perspective. It's been beta tested in two stages and had lots of bug fixes and balance changes. I'm just creatively blocked on the game's endings and I still need to make those, plus the game's intro. I may just release what I have so far so people can play it. When I finish the creative/story stuff I'll update it.

I'm also working on a bonus character, a sort of Akuma to Sasuke and Quavon if you think of them as the game's Ryu and Ken. I may hold off on including him to incentivize people downloading the update for the story stuff.

Download Last Bout now!
#19  January 10, 2022, 05:23:56 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
So the game is basically done from a gameplay perspective. It's been beta tested in two stages and had lots of bug fixes and balance changes. I'm just creatively blocked on the game's endings and I still need to make those, plus the game's intro. I may just release what I have so far so people can play it. When I finish the creative/story stuff I'll update it.
NO!! Don't do that! The game will feel incomplete if you go down that route! :mwhoa:

I'm also working on a bonus character, a sort of Akuma to Sasuke and Quavon if you think of them as the game's Ryu and Ken. I may hold off on including him to incentivize people downloading the update for the story stuff.

:mwhoa: Bonus content planned ahead?!

#20  January 24, 2022, 08:40:34 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
I was playing Waku Waku 7 for the first time recently and I really liked the mechanic in that game where you could get up attacking (kinda like Tekken), and I decided I want to make it a function of this game, but I can't decide if it should be an Offense Meter thing or Defense Meter. I would think Defense right? Any thoughts?

Also, if I add that I feel like I need one more feature for the other bar to even it out. Right now the meter functions are:

OFFENSE

Offense Drive - Full Bar
EX Move - 1/3 Bar
Guard Crush - 1/4 Bar

DEFENSE

Defense Drive - Full Bar
Guard Cancel Attack - Half Bar
Guard Cancel Dash - 1/4 Bar

So I'm thinking the Wake Up Attack could be 1/3 Defense bar, and whatever I come up for Offense could be a Half bar, so then each meter has a function for 1/4,1/3,Half and Full bar. Maybe something like a Roman Cancel? Or maybe Offense Arts could have two levels? Ideas and thoughts are welcome!

EDIT: I was also thinking about making it so that Defense Drives can be done during the wakeup state (5120)

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:47:10 pm by Sean Altly