YesNoOk

massive SF2 project (Read 15052 times)

Started by gdk1981, October 09, 2021, 07:39:36 pm
Share this topic:
massive SF2 project
#1  October 09, 2021, 07:39:36 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
For the past 5 years, I've poured a ton of money and time into a rather large SF2 project. Essentially, I have always wanted to take the original SF2 arcade games, add components of subsequent game mechanics to a SF2-style engine, tweak the original roster movesets a bit, and--most importantly--add characters from the rest of the series to the roster. This last part has involved scouring existing artwork (doing much of it from scratch myself) and to render charas from SF1-5, Alpha, and vs. series in the SF2 arcade sprite style. Here's a pic of everything I've done currently minus a few that are in progress, and each of these has 70+ animations.   

Just reaching out to see what else is out there in terms of interest and collaboration. I have worked with a few other artists on this massive project but would love to work with some like-minded MUGEN/SF2 fans who could help to bring this project to completion. So, existing character art, SF-styled portraits, coders familiar with the various SF game mechanics would be welcome. 

Feel free to PM me for any questions.

Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:56:43 am by gdk1981
Re: massive SF2 project
#2  October 11, 2021, 04:11:49 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
It would be nice to see a video of this.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#3  October 11, 2021, 04:17:20 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I also would like to see a video of this.
#4  October 11, 2021, 10:44:16 pm
    • USA
For the past 5 years, I've poured a ton of money and time into a rather large SF2 project. Essentially, I have always wanted to take the original SF2 arcade games, add components of subsequent game mechanics to a SF2-style engine, tweak the original roster movesets a bit, and--most importantly--add characters from the rest of the series to the roster. This last part has involved scouring existing artwork (doing much of it from scratch myself) and to render charas from SF1-5, Alpha, and vs. series in the SF2 arcade sprite style. Here's a pic of everything I've done currently minus a few that are in progress, and each of these has 70+ animations.   https://imgur.com/wCPYQss

Just reaching out to see what else is out there in terms of interest and collaboration. I have worked with a few other artists on this massive project but would love to work with some like-minded MUGEN/SF2 fans who could help to bring this project to completion. So, existing character art, SF-styled portraits, coders familiar with the various SF game mechanics would be welcome. 

Feel free to PM me for any questions.

Count me in as wanting a video of the game.

Is your goal with the engine and overall CPS1 or CPS2? If the former, I feel like CPS1-ifying the 5 CPS2 characters would be good. Will the extant characters get new moves, too? ELECTR0's (open source) "Ultimate" Ryu, Ken, Zangief, M. Bison, and Blanka have some new moves in them you could use.
By "vs series", how extensive are you willing to go for that? I know you have SNK characters, and Tekken is probably included to, but does this include Morrigan and Felicia? Captain Commando? (both CC and DS have some minor ties to SF in lore) Mega Man and Roll? Marvel characters? Yatterman?
Also, are the movie games, EX, and Mouse Generation included? Ingrid from CFJ?

A few mechanics you shouldn't forget include negative edge and buffering, which were as far back as The World Warrior, and can be done easily using this:

https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/fix-all-your-command-issues-explodsive-buffering-system-180772.msg2491660.html;topicseen#msg2491660

SF2 also has a damage randomization system.
#5  October 12, 2021, 04:17:45 am
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
I will absolutely post videos once I can get some help with implementing mt sprites into suitable existing MUGEN characters, and that is what I am seeking some collaboration with. As far as vision, I would really like to stick to the SF2 World Warrior/Champion Edition sprite style and would be open to incorporating moves from the subsequent games. But, I would really like to avoid the battles becoming ultra spamfests, so a slightly enhanced SF2 gameplay experience would be the general goal. To each their own, of course.

There is no limit to the characters--my basic rule is that they have to have been included in some SF game minus the Marvel games (was never a fan of superhumans competing evenly with the SF roster) or characters like Megaman.  . I've already got all SF1 - SF4 characters. Haven't done all the SF5 ones but they are in process. Love the Fatal Fury cast and am going to include some of the Tekken games.  I am doing Sawada from the movie game as well as Gunloc.  The EX series is shaky since it's not even owned by Capcom. Obviously, fully animating each character is a lot of time and money between myself and other artists, but I've been pretty consistent with it! 
#6  October 12, 2021, 04:28:39 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
You're building up that you've put a lot of time and money into this... do you have any screenshots you can show? Anything more? Cause while I want to commend you for the work you're putting in, I also wanna know how much of this work we can actually see lol

Rather than just having it be a big idea that has not happened.
#7  October 12, 2021, 05:21:44 am
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/bn6ymdvllj9lf/Mugen_Stages
Why Terry Bogard and Raiden are in your rooster image?
#8  October 12, 2021, 05:29:35 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#9  October 12, 2021, 08:02:08 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
As far as vision, I would really like to stick to the SF2 World Warrior/Champion Edition sprite style and would be open to incorporating moves from the subsequent games. But, I would really like to avoid the battles becoming ultra spamfests, so a slightly enhanced SF2 gameplay experience would be the general goal. To each their own, of course.

I guess it would be somewhat similar to that SFII Mix hack that was done a year ago with it being CE but with extra features. A layout of what extra mechanics you're gonna have for this since you are going for more CPS1 SFII rather than CPS2 SFII, then one could make a base template for the characters in the game. Another thing of note would be developing this for Ikemen GO with it's plethora of extra features over straight mugen 1.1.

There is no limit to the characters--my basic rule is that they have to have been included in some SF game minus the Marvel games (was never a fan of superhumans competing evenly with the SF roster) or characters like Megaman.  . I've already got all SF1 - SF4 characters. Haven't done all the SF5 ones but they are in process. Love the Fatal Fury cast and am going to include some of the Tekken games.  I am doing Sawada from the movie game as well as Gunloc.  The EX series is shaky since it's not even owned by Capcom. Obviously, fully animating each character is a lot of time and money between myself and other artists, but I've been pretty consistent with it! 

So I guess characters like Ingrid or other Capcom characters are out of the question for the most part. Considering the current addition of the FF characters as well as Tekken characters in the future. Would there be other guest characters from other games beyond those two, since it would be pretty interesting to see newer characters portrayed in a older system. Not that there currently isn't already.

...I guess if you ever wanted guile to be cursed have more moves as a suggestion, you could always put down sonic dash or Anti Air Sonic Boom on his movelist to whom you get to work on this for you.
Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:09:05 am by Amidweiz
#10  October 12, 2021, 09:17:47 am
    • USA
Hello, good to hear some classic SF2 stuff is in the works. I highly recommend following the gold standard of felineki's SF2 Akuma. Or at least, close to, as best as you can, to something like that.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#11  October 13, 2021, 02:53:13 am
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Thanks to all for the kind words and ideas.  I shared a few stills from the characters whose sprite sets I was able to swap in.  I am open to working with MUGEN or any engine, really--I just want to be able to see it all come to fruition, and I've certainly plunked down enough money at this point to keep it all going.  If I can get a few decent coders, we can put a video together. 

#12  October 14, 2021, 03:11:50 am
  • Wandering....
Interesting thoughts and ideas. Impressive Sprite Art.

You can grab also effects and sprite basis from Cyberbots, Slammasters, Cadillac's&Dinsaur and Punisher

Because they are also the closes style to SF2 art style if you need more references.

You may also want to look at an old SF2 Korean Hack. SF2IBM and SF2LIU

It got weird moves(I can't remember which version) and some version has Terry and Andy in it.

Weird Moves like Ken having jin rai, Guile has a sonic dash and bison using his capeintro to teleport

The guy that is hacking SF2 and on SF2mix has also posted here you might be interested also to look in his project

https://mugenguild.com/forum/profile/zero800-82713

https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/street-fighter-2-mix-cps1-romhack-191607.msg2494052.html

Hello,

I created the post just to share and gather suggestions.
Understand that a romhack is not Mugen so I have a huge limitation in doing anything and I have almost no space in rom to make new designs.

CPU is much more fun than the original.

https://sf2mix.github.io/
Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 03:51:33 am by The Shakunetsu
#13  October 14, 2021, 04:46:40 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Count me in to help you with all breakable objects and full stage interactivity (people cheering when rounds are won, etc.) - but you'd have to make the project in IKEMEN

(which is a good idea, anyways)
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#14  October 14, 2021, 05:02:24 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
What resolution do you plan to use? 4:3 like the original? Or adapt the game for a widescreen resolution, like 16:9?

If it's the latter, do you rather crop part of the screen vertically, similar to what Capcom did in Ultra SF2/HD Remix?

(example)

...Or instead, increase the sides of the stages, potentially giving more space to walk on-screen?

This looks very interesting.

Hopefully you'll find more people interested in the coding parts of it. If you want some character references, the best I can think of are definitely Felineki's Akuma, and the World Warrior Pack by N64Mario.

#15  October 14, 2021, 08:25:59 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Thanks for the ideas.  I did reach out to the N64Mario fellow a while back but he didn't seem interested. I have worked with the same 2-3 artists over past year to make all of the animations happen pretty quickly (that includes hundreds and hundreds), and we can usually turn a character around fully in 1 month. Currently, we are working on Rolento. 

I am probably going to stick with the traditional SF2 arcade resolution just to retain the feel of the original. Again, the idea is to feel like you're playing SF2 but with (in a sense) access to every character from the series in one game and with some updated mechanics. I'm definitely open to using something other than MUGEN as well, though I would just need to find someone willing to invest in a project like this.
#16  October 14, 2021, 08:31:17 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Very impressive all, not just the sprites, but the screenshots and plans you have. I take off my hat to you :hyo: and I wish the best for your project, I hope you can finish this with your team and this fullgame can be released so everyone can play it

Also, I hope in a future those sprites can be accesed so anyone also can make their own SF2 versions as your team does now. Loved the sprites, all of them, especially the SF1 conversions :2thumbsup:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#17  October 14, 2021, 11:05:45 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I like the idea as well!
I saw some kind of similar projects in the past since the beginning of Mugen.
This one looks interesting too.

My only wish is the project to actually exist and not stay like a fantasy game forever.

Good luck to you and your team.
I know "classic" spriting is not the easiest one... ^^;

EDIT : BTW I always had this fantasy to upgrade Super Street Fighter II X with new characters from SF universe.
Initially, my pick was Birdie (SFA1 version) when I noticed his sprite style in this particular game is very similar to The last sprited moves in SSF2X...

For your project, the size of still make me hesitating about the possibility to complete it in "one person's life"
Sure the team will be helpful.
But why not making a first build of the game with most SF2/SSF2 characters + 6/8 more characters?
THen go ahead with the future builds...

If you ever use 16:9 display, please don't make the characters looking too small on screen. or too giant.
Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:19:13 pm by Nedflandeurse
#18  October 15, 2021, 12:29:20 am
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Nedflandeurse:

I have always had same thoughts about other projects that would seem like great ideas but lacked the resources to complete.  In this case though, the bulk of work (creating original sprites and animating them all) has already been completed, and I at this point average 2 completed characters per month.  I had one fellow who was able to code two characters in 3 days pretty well and he sort of disappeared. So, with the right people, this is all very easily a playable reality. If I can find good coders, they've got the art to mow through many of my characters quickly, at which point I can start releasing things and just adding/tweaking as we go.

Also, for what it's worth, I have completed fully playable mods for other games (most notably, Double Dragon) that took years. And, with as much time and cash that has gone into this, I'm definitely not letting it sit = ).
#19  October 15, 2021, 07:58:59 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
If you have template of the code structure you want, the coding can be done very fast.
Actually SF2 type characters can be completed in a bunch of days/weeks if the ressources are already ready.

I think, I can help complete some of them. Even if I'm not really a coder/programmer.

Be sure to prepare the templates well, and the coders will complete the characters in no time :)

BTW : no Sakura in the roster? She would have been nice in SF2 style, since this is a kind of dream match. ^^
#20  October 15, 2021, 01:36:36 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
I would welcome any help. Especially from dedicated fans of the series who can consult, edit existing characters, etc.   The roster is always expanding and adding Sakura is easy.  Getting through Rolento now and will likely have 8-10 more characters not shown in my original pic done by end of year.  Finishing Rolento and then going to do FANG, Sawada, Geese Howard, King, and Hworang.

Much easier to reach me via google mail . . . gdk1981.