YesNoOk

massive SF2 project (Read 14943 times)

Started by gdk1981, October 09, 2021, 07:39:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: massive SF2 project
#41  October 17, 2021, 11:54:00 pm
  • Wandering....
Time to reveal something: I've been working with him in some characters already, as I coded Ken and I am finishing Adon.
About the engine, its up to him, but I am coding using Mugen yet. I want to try it for sure, there is a lot of potential.
But I am not familiar with it yet.

That looks amazing
#42  October 18, 2021, 01:07:41 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
This project looks epic. Can't wait to see more.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#43  October 18, 2021, 06:07:38 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
SF2 Adon... what a time to be alive  ;D
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#44  October 19, 2021, 05:15:41 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
I suppose the 320 x 240 resolution makes more sense for big TV screens!   Some basic questions about IKEMEN for the purposes of this project . . . does it handle AI well?  While I love multiplayer, I have gotten into playing the entire series against the computer over the years, so gotta have solid AI options.  Also, is IKEMEN able to handle both winning and losing portraits?  I do like the score system and dizzy features you mentioned--those are essential as well to the overall feel of the original.

From what I understood, Ikemen's AI capabilities are essentially the same as Mugen 1.0/1.1, only difference being that Ikemen can also detect the AI Ramping system as floating numbers. In either case, the best way to have a good AI is actually by coding it in the character itself; which isn't something really difficult to do, once you reach a intermediate level of coding skills.

About Win/Lose portraits, those can be coded in both Mugen and Ikemen without any problem, really. And while Mugen can techically have a dizzy system as well, the same can't be said about the score system - technically, you can have the visual aspects of it during a fight... but you won't be able to save anything once the match is over, since Mugen doesn't have a ranking screen.

So yeah, IKEMEN is a way better option if you want to have all the features from a classic arcade.

And speaking of Ikemen... I did a little work with it, as a test. I grabbed "CfSF's" Classic Ryu, the Japan stage made by Dark Saviour, and ripped some graphics and sounds myself, while adjusting everything to be as close as possible to the arcade proportions, in this SF2-style test build:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s5ypzo8nasca7l5/Ultimate_Street_Fighter_2.rar/file

The resolution set here is 298x224. This way the game's proportions are the closest to 4:3, while keeping the same height of the original arcade sprites - so the only thing to re-scale via coding is the X scale, to a value like 0.7777...

This is how it looks like in a x3 window:

So, what do you think about this configuration? Does it look good enough with the rescale?

Keep in mind I dind't change anything besides the Select screen; those are the default Ikemen graphics... everything else can be further reworked to be more on-style with SF2, of course.
#45  October 19, 2021, 09:12:11 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
Thanks so much for this explanation . . . I am totally open to moving ahead with IKEMEN, though the only concern remaining would be the broader familiarity with it across this community. (?)  It would be good to have multiple people working on characters, and if only a small handful anywhere are proficient with IKEMEN, the completion time for a project like this would become complicated.

I can guarantee direction and artwork on my end to see this to the end, but the means just has to be realistic = ).
#46  October 20, 2021, 12:51:11 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Thanks so much for this explanation . . . I am totally open to moving ahead with IKEMEN, though the only concern remaining would be the broader familiarity with it across this community. (?)  It would be good to have multiple people working on characters, and if only a small handful anywhere are proficient with IKEMEN, the completion time for a project like this would become complicated.

I can guarantee direction and artwork on my end to see this to the end, but the means just has to be realistic = ).
Trust me, IKEMEN is extremely easy to move into. The only challenge might be if some stages don't work, but I don't think that's the case here.

I can help you guys out with it, and the advantages are HUGE.

Online, real stage interaction, and a ton other stuff.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#47  October 20, 2021, 03:43:22 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
The thing here is: if only 1 or 2 can do Ikemen he would depend so much on them not quiting or work on it constantly, while Mugen can get a bigger team to help out.

I think Ikemen would work better, but I dont know anything about it, just a few of his advantages.

About the art, Im curious to see that, anything possible to share to see it?
            Zorf Giudecca
#48  October 20, 2021, 03:53:01 am
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
NiO ErZeBeth--right on, those are my thoughts exactly. Also, preview art and videos should all be on the first page.
#49  October 20, 2021, 11:41:53 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
That doesn't seem like it would be a problem though, since Mugen creations are compatible with Ikemen Go? i.e. you could have some team members working only in Mugen while still using Ikemen as the engine for the game.  Unless I'm missing something...
#50  October 20, 2021, 03:03:23 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
That doesn't seem like it would be a problem though, since Mugen creations are compatible with Ikemen Go? i.e. you could have some team members working only in Mugen while still using Ikemen as the engine for the game.  Unless I'm missing something...

basically, this.
AFAIK.
#51  October 20, 2021, 05:14:35 pm
  • Why,
AFAIK. ?pardon?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#52  October 20, 2021, 05:20:43 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
As Far As I Know.

(Just to say I'm pretty ok with what Tunglashor says)
#53  October 21, 2021, 08:41:56 am
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
For the past 5 years, I've poured a ton of money and time into a rather large SF2 project. Essentially, I have always wanted to take the original SF2 arcade games, add components of subsequent game mechanics to a SF2-style engine, tweak the original roster movesets a bit, and--most importantly--add characters from the rest of the series to the roster. This last part has involved scouring existing artwork (doing much of it from scratch myself) and to render charas from SF1-5, Alpha, and vs. series in the SF2 arcade sprite style. Here's a pic of everything I've done currently minus a few that are in progress, and each of these has 70+ animations.   

Just reaching out to see what else is out there in terms of interest and collaboration. I have worked with a few other artists on this massive project but would love to work with some like-minded MUGEN/SF2 fans who could help to bring this project to completion. So, existing character art, SF-styled portraits, coders familiar with the various SF game mechanics would be welcome. 

Feel free to PM me for any questions.

WOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#54  October 21, 2021, 01:01:07 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
The thing here is: if only 1 or 2 can do Ikemen he would depend so much on them not quiting or work on it constantly, while Mugen can get a bigger team to help out.

I think Ikemen would work better, but I dont know anything about it, just a few of his advantages.

About the art, Im curious to see that, anything possible to share to see it?
IKEMEN is 99.99% retrocompatible, and we can all use CNS instead of ZSS (heck even I don't know ZSS).

Unless you are going to use some obscure Winmugen bug as a feature, MUGEN creators will do just fine using IKEMEN.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#55  October 21, 2021, 01:33:11 pm
    • USA
    • gdk1981@gmail.com
This is all extremely helpful!  So really then, there's no issue having a few people code some characters in MUGEN and then fitting everything into the IKEMEN platform? 
#56  October 22, 2021, 04:53:18 pm
  • Why,
If talking Ikemen Go... which getting it v0.98.0 (maybe this year, but it is said at... )... then yeah...
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help