YesNoOk

Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 06/08/2021) (Read 588429 times)

Started by tunglashor, September 20, 2010, 06:54:33 am
Share this topic:
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 18/06/2012)
#221  July 01, 2012, 01:26:02 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#222  July 01, 2012, 04:42:26 am
  • Q
I remember awhile back there was a program called Stage Previewer...maybe you could rig VSelect up so it opens it in that, or in a similar program?
#223  July 01, 2012, 06:48:19 am
    • Canada
^ Stage Viewer was the program (Man, I still use it. And it's still up on RandomSelect the last time I checked) and yeah that would be a nice feature.

Yeah that too (I really like how easy that looked LOL). I'm also after just adding stages regularly too. Like say, adding stages to the currently list in the select.def.

Well like I say, the program will automatically detect all stages in the stages folder and include them in the list.  If they're not already present in the [ExtraStages] section of the select.def then they'll be listed in VSelect as "Excluded".  Just highlight them in the list, right-click and select "Include" - all the highlighted stages will then be included (i.e. added to the [ExtraStages] section).

Aight, I got you. Everything else in VSelect is nice and straight forward. It's actually enjoyable LOL. It's actually making my 1.0 transition stupid easy.
#224  July 02, 2012, 03:13:06 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
I remember awhile back there was a program called Stage Previewer...maybe you could rig VSelect up so it opens it in that, or in a similar program?

Only problem with that is Stage Viewer is an unfinished beta, so it's unstable.  And it is only for low-res stages, and it has a habit of messing up the preview for animation intensive stages, so adding it to Vselect might unstabilize the whole program. :-\
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#225  July 02, 2012, 03:31:16 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Just passing by to thank you for the nice updates.
Each time I think this tool is complete, you come up with something new to make adding chars/stages even easier. :)
#226  July 02, 2012, 04:17:36 pm
same here just got the last update it's fuckin amazing.

I am just dreaming out loud because i think it would be very complicated but if for each stage you select you could see a preview... i think this tool would become a classic just like fighter factory.

My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.
#227  July 02, 2012, 07:58:15 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Only problem with that is Stage Viewer is an unfinished beta, so it's unstable.  And it is only for low-res stages, and it has a habit of messing up the preview for animation intensive stages, so adding it to Vselect might unstabilize the whole program. :-\
Well, it doesn't even have to be animated, IMO. Just a basic display of elements, so we can recognize the stage, just that.

Just saying because this is the only thing I think the program's missing. It's perfect in every other way.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#228  July 02, 2012, 09:33:48 pm
  • Q
I agree in its current state it is unsatisfactory, but the concept and maybe the program itself could be useful.
#229  July 04, 2012, 12:33:43 pm
  • "In case you're wondering, you've lost."
    • USA
I have a suggestion/request that may be a bit easier...can you make it so that when you select a character in the select screen it moves to that character in the list and vise-versa?
#230  July 27, 2012, 09:47:26 am
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
This character :
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nn0eug
crashes Vselect whenever I add it to my select screen, and if it is already added to the select, then Vselect freezes during startup. The character loads in Mugen without problems.

Additionally, not related to this, whenever I start Vselect, it closes itself about 75% of the time at random. (I have to start it 2-5 times in a row usually, to have it work once)
#231  August 18, 2012, 07:23:49 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
I found the reason for the above crash : The small portrait of the character had its palette saved in 32 colors instead of 256 by FF3.
When making characters, please make sure the palette for the portraits is not reduced to 5 bits by FF3 (if necessary add more, unused colors to it) until this bug gets fixed in Vselect.
#232  August 19, 2012, 11:05:07 pm
Tunglashor, I had to come by and thank you for this awesome tool. I just stumbled up and downloaded it the other day, and not only has it made organizing and arranging my characters a hell of a lot easier, but it also made it so easy to add new characters and organize them that I actually went through all of the characters I had that weren't currently in my roster and that I wasn't sure of and got rid of a lot of characters I no longer wanted, then organized my roster to relocate all of the miscellaneous randomselects that had cropped up between characters over the years. I also managed to group characters and basically managed to put together the roster I already had in the way I really wanted, which would have been a bit more confusing and time consuming if I had done it the old fashioned way. I also have a few friends who are either just starting in MUGEN or are not as big on it as I am, and I know this tool will make it a whole lot easier for them to use their MUGEN, so I thank you for that as well.

Posted: August 21, 2012, 08:01:59 am
But now I do have a question about this.

When I use Visual Select, it brings up my select screen at the same size I have it set at...yet when I run MUGEN, for some reason, everything looks terrible. My MUGEN looks very pixelated compared to the Visual Select screen. It's probably always been that way, but I never really noticed it until I had something much sharper to juxtapose it with. Does anyone know why that is? It sounds more like a MUGEN problem and less like a problem with this particular software but I figured I should check and make sure. I'm running WinMUGEN.
#233  August 24, 2012, 01:27:53 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Sorry I haven't posted in so long, I've had no time for anything other than work recently (and for the foreseeable future  --;)

Firstly, thank you to everyone who posted nice comments, they're much appreciated.  It's gratifying to know people are finding the updates useful.

About the requests for a stage preview feature: currently there are certain graphical effects I can't recreate, in particular parallax BG elements often used for stage floors.  This is rarely used on the select screen so it hasn't been a big issue thus far, but it would be a problem for rendering stages.  If I ever have time I might look at this again.

I have a suggestion/request that may be a bit easier...can you make it so that when you select a character in the select screen it moves to that character in the list and vise-versa?
It currently does this for the Order list (and the Stage list if the character is assigned a stage).  It wouldn't work for the main character list as you might have multiple copies of the same character (for example).  Maybe I'll add something similar though, I'll think about it.

This character :
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nn0eug
crashes Vselect whenever I add it to my select screen, and if it is already added to the select, then Vselect freezes during startup. The character loads in Mugen without problems.
Thanks Seravy for the bug report.  There's a small error in the way SFF2 is being decoded for 5-bit images, now fixed but I'm not able to do a release for the time being as I don't have access to my old machine (the one I use for Mugen development).  I'll post again when this is resolved.

Additionally, not related to this, whenever I start Vselect, it closes itself about 75% of the time at random. (I have to start it 2-5 times in a row usually, to have it work once)
There seems to be some issue with some of the libraries I use, which affects some machines and not others.  It's infuriating and very hard to track down.  I plan to upgrade to newer versions of these libs and just hope that this fixes the issue.  Again, when I'm able to put a release together I'll post here.

When I use Visual Select, it brings up my select screen at the same size I have it set at...yet when I run MUGEN, for some reason, everything looks terrible. My MUGEN looks very pixelated compared to the Visual Select screen. It's probably always been that way, but I never really noticed it until I had something much sharper to juxtapose it with.
It's hard to speculate without screenshots.  I suspect you're running Mugen at a low resolution.  If you're using WinMugen, that has a native resolution of 320x240.  You can change the screen dimensions but this doesn't change the resolution, it just means the sprites will be scaled.  VSelect on the other hand runs at your desktop resolution, which is presumably much higher.  So, say you're running WinMugen at 640x480: when WinMugen displays the select screen it will render it at 320x240, scaled by 2.  VSelect will render it at 640x480.  In effect, it will be twice as detailed.

I could make VSelect mimic the way Mugen scales the sprites, and so more accurately reflect how the select screen looks in-game, but to be honest I don't want to  :P  It would amount to more work for lower quality results. 
#234  August 24, 2012, 12:18:51 pm
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Ah, that makes a lot of sense and clears things up. I wasn't really bothered by the fact that VSelect looked better, I just wanted to make sure my MUGEN looking worse wasn't something I could change via configurations. I agree with you; you shouldn't bother making VSelect mimic MUGEN's actual appearance, as having clearer images makes organizing the screen easier than it would if they were the same quality as WinMUGEN's. And yeah, it would be more work for a lower quality result, which doesn't seem worth it to me. Thanks for explaining, and thanks for making VSelect in the first place! Ever since I've stumbled on it it's become one of my most used tools for MUGEN. It just makes everything so much easier and clearer. It's easily one of the best tools for the program.
#235  August 28, 2012, 10:44:09 pm
    • France
    • none@jabberid.net
Just wanted to say thank you, your software is awesome !
#236  January 02, 2013, 10:16:48 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
I know this may be necro, but I've had an error start occurring that driving me crazy.  Whenever I add a stage to a character via the properties menu, the program suddenly makes 10-15 error boxes then crashes.  The boxes read as follows:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Is this a problem on my end, or the program?  It crashes as soon as this message appears so I don't even have a change to run debug.

EDIT: it's also doing this when I close the option box...
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:24:49 pm by Makurayami
#237  January 03, 2013, 12:54:07 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Not to mention adding characters erases recently added stages.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#238  January 03, 2013, 12:55:03 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
not always but ive had my entire stages erased easy to fix but still annoying.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#239  January 03, 2013, 12:56:32 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Not always. Sometimes I don't notice the missing stages.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#240  January 03, 2013, 01:11:50 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
This'll come in handy when I actually get around to organize all of my characters. Well done man. This looks impressive.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.