YesNoOk

Color Separation current project Bishamon (Read 9425 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, February 26, 2013, 06:34:23 pm
Share this topic:
Color Separation current project Bishamon
#1  February 26, 2013, 06:34:23 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/

I'm working on color separating Bishamon. This topic is for progress reports and assistance.

I have reripped Bishamon's sprites correcting some mistakes both me and Kong made including some incorrect palettes. I'm still ripping his effects and other sprites not shown while cycling through his animations.

I am hoping that some kind users will assist in this to speed up the progress. I have completed the standing animation.

Here is a base colors image

What I am doing is making a new layer. Then taking the base colors and recoloring the object. For example I make the whole sword dark blue. Then I reduce the opacity of that layer to 50% and it creates the separated colors.

Here is a template

.act palette
http://www.justnopoint.com/mugen/rips/darkstalkers/Bishamon.act

Here are all of his sprites separated by animation group in each folder.
http://www.justnopoint.com/mugen/rips/darkstalkers/Bishamon/

If you wish to help please post which group you wish to do so someone will not work on what you are working on. My next groups will be 001, 002, and 003.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

EDIT: To garner more attention I'll reveal that Rajaa has been commissioned to create a DS template using Bishamon. Also Basara is working on a Bishamon.
Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:14:19 pm by Just No Point
Re: Color Separation current project Bishamon
#2  February 26, 2013, 08:54:16 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
You are gonna separate a DS sprite set? best of lucks on that, it can be quite tedious in some sprites but I think Bishamon can be one of the easiest on the cast. Again, good luck :)
Chilling
#3  February 26, 2013, 08:55:30 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Finally Bishamon will get some love apart of me :D I'll be waiting for this color separation, good luck with it and thanks for your effort ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#4  February 27, 2013, 01:01:47 am
I wouldn't mind helping out with a few anims.  However, since all your images posted here are in RGB format, do you have an indexed image and/or .act file we could use?   A labeled template would be preferred, but not necessary.

Kinda off topic, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of this around here.  I get really burned out doing 400+ sprites for the same character, and spreading the workload around a few people makes it a little more enjoyable.
#5  February 27, 2013, 01:21:12 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's actually why I labeled this "Current Project". You have made several projects I would have liked to snipe hit. Just adding an animation as I can and not being expected to do a whole ordeal.

The reason I have them in BMP is because there are other colors that will need to be added as we get there. Some effects, the ghosts, and possibly the cut in half anims. But since Bishamon has no organs the cut in half may not need extra colors.

Not to mention, if you are using my method you need rgb format to make a new layer and apply the color from the base. Because the base colors won't exist in the palette. They get a 50% opacity applied.

If you want to do something similar I'll create a thread and sticky it for listing projects like this. You create your thread and I'll link it there. I'd hope it'd get a snowball effect going. Only thing that sucks is having to arrange all the animation groups into folders. But it's worth it all around in the end. It'd be nice to see several of these popping up. It'd be real easy ways for anyone to contribute as well.

EDIT: If you really need an act I can make one though.
Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:27:27 am by Just No Point
#6  February 27, 2013, 01:37:33 am
Gotcha. I'm not really familiar with your method, as I've always done it another way.   I think posting an .act file would be a good idea, since it would help keep everyone on the same page, and not have any missing or unnecessary colors.  Additional colors can easily be added in with batch processes in PS.

As for the sticky, I think that would be awesome.  I haven't done much of anything else with Guy for a couple of months and I doubt I'll even get back to him for a while.
#7  February 27, 2013, 01:38:36 am
think i'll ive give one of the anims a try, but question..are you going to seperate his legs from his arms?..and feet
#8  February 27, 2013, 04:32:15 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Gotcha. I'm not really familiar with your method, as I've always done it another way.   I think posting an .act file would be a good idea, since it would help keep everyone on the same page, and not have any missing or unnecessary colors.  Additional colors can easily be added in with batch processes in PS.

As for the sticky, I think that would be awesome.  I haven't done much of anything else with Guy for a couple of months and I doubt I'll even get back to him for a while.

I'll have to make and post that .act tomorrow after work. Got called in for some overtime that I can't pass up. I'd help with Guy if you post some animation groups. Really like your Guy separation!

think i'll ive give one of the anims a try, but question..are you going to seperate his legs from his arms?..and feet
No, I don't see that being a big help for making palettes with him. His body is spiritual anyway. It doesn't make a lot of sense that he'd create tight pants for himself :P Other than that I also tried not to get too carried away. His color count is already at 42. It actually started with just wanting the sword because it shares way too many colors with his "flesh". Then I went ahead and changed a few other things because the sword is the toughest part. The rest are really simple. I did finish the sword in his duck anim today as well. Really annoying as the sword is in front of Bishamon and blends in with his arm because they use the same colors! >_<

Oh, which anims are you considering? So no one else picks them?
#9  February 27, 2013, 09:14:23 am
hmm idk i think they look pretty good..maybe he wanted to fit in since most of ds cast has tight pants :/

also i use paint.net and the opacity doesntgo by percentage..it goes up to 255..ive tried cutting that in half but im not getting the same colors as the sprite u posted..oh and i'll do 024 Light Punch if i can get the opacity thing figured out
#10  February 27, 2013, 11:33:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll have a act and labeled template for you this afternoon. I guess I was thinking all art programs did opacity the same. I might give him tight pants. Got to go to work now though.
Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:47:45 pm by Just No Point
#11  February 28, 2013, 10:48:00 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Template

.act palette
http://www.justnopoint.com/mugen/rips/darkstalkers/Bishamon.act

Sorry for the delay. The skin highlight is for any white that might appear on skin that isn't on his legs. It's not in the stance animation

Posted: February 28, 2013, 11:13:14 pm
finished crouch

Posted: March 01, 2013, 12:08:18 am
finished walk f

Posted: March 01, 2013, 04:18:03 am
@daaniel: I had a thought. Try setting your opacity to as close to the colors I got as you can. Then load the palette from the .act file I uploaded and it should adjust the colors accordingly.

Posted: March 01, 2013, 04:48:59 pm
003 Walk B is done I'll claim 004-010

Posted: March 03, 2013, 02:14:09 am
finished 004

Posted: March 04, 2013, 03:42:24 am
finished 005
finished 006, 007
Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:04:34 am by Just No Point
#12  March 04, 2013, 11:53:52 am
hmm..i guess paint.net doesnt use .act:/....i'll try and do something tomorrow
#13  March 05, 2013, 03:14:19 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Go ahead and try to do similar and I'll apply the .act for you.

Finished 008
Added a new separation to the white highlight on his helmet so the spikes on his shoulders won't have to be a similar color to the helmet. Also in his jump a new color appeared in his hair. So his hair gained a color. I updated the template, .act, and the base images on the 1st post. I'm working a lot and as such am currently trying to at least get one group done a day. When I get a day off I'll do more.
#14  March 06, 2013, 03:11:15 am
*attempting*
so the sword sleeve...holder thing..that gets blue too right?
damn his hair
Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:46:06 am by daaniel
#15  March 06, 2013, 03:50:18 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yep the sword sleeve gets blue too. The hair sucks because it blends in really well with the sword and helmet! I feel the pain too :p

009 done just haven't uploaded it yet
Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:38:12 pm by Just No Point
#16  March 06, 2013, 04:25:13 am
alright hows this...i didnt use skin highlight or armor white...im hoping those just didnt come up..also could you show me an example of those
#17  March 06, 2013, 05:49:10 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Great job! The skin highlight hasn't been in a sprite yet. I know it'll be used in an intro. That is only if the white color is on his skin outside of his legs.

The armor highlight is when white is on his armor. You can find that on the yellow moon shape on his helmet in frames 3 and 4.

For the sword and sheath you forgot to color the black the darkest blue. I went in to fix it but it looks like you used those darkest blues on previous colors. Also on frame 3 you missed the orange at the bottom of his handle because it blends in so perfectly with his armor's colors. Stuff like that can be tricky and so can the black on the sword and sheath. I only color black that isn't touching Bishamon himself. You can look at the sprites in 001-009 for reference as I upload them as I go. 009 is uploaded now.

Thanks a lot! If you don't get around to it I'll fix these minor flaws when I get there.
#18  March 06, 2013, 10:53:04 pm
yeahh thought all the blacks were left alone...compared an orignal sprite to your base and saw wat was going on...alright is this better?
im not super sure about the orange at the bottom of his handle..hope i got it
i'll try 103 and 108 next
#19  March 07, 2013, 12:34:47 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Those are perfect! I just added the armor highlight to the 2 frames that needed it. Great job! I put you down for 103 and 108.

I colored the black on the sword because I thought a blood sword like Dee has and a spectre sword might be good palette options for it.
#20  March 07, 2013, 08:25:41 am
im not seeing a difference in frames 3 and 4 on 108
heres 108, sword was tricky
Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:55:34 am by daaniel