YesNoOk

CvTW Rikimaru - by SeanAltly (thanks to Roks) (Read 57495 times)

Started by Sean Altly, September 26, 2013, 09:20:32 pm
Share this topic:
CvTW Rikimaru - by SeanAltly (thanks to Roks)
#1  September 26, 2013, 09:20:32 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
So Roks commissioned me a while back to make a full sprite set for Rikimaru from the Tenchu series. I don't know a ton about Tenchu, but from what I'm told, the design I'm using is from Tenchu 3. Roks' version will be way mor ein depth, 6 buttons with tons of moves and a customizeable load-out system. Mine will fit into the CvTW mold. This thread will be about the CvTW version.

I'm using many different characters as a base, including Saizo, Eiji, Kyo, Hanzo, Kaede, and the standard go to for sword stuff, Hayato. Here's a bunch of animations so far. Some of these are in the default palette (the brown/black), some of them are in my easier-to-see spriting palette. Most of them are in the spoiler.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

More than that's done, I just don't want to overload things with a bunch of .gifs.

Anyway, I'll post the planned moveset soon.

Download Last Bout now!
Re: CvTW Rikimaru - by SeanAltly (thanks to Roks)
#2  September 26, 2013, 09:30:30 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Now this is very interesting! It's been a long time since I last played Tenchu.

I hope you make a stance similar to the game, where he holds the sword on the back.
#3  September 26, 2013, 09:49:09 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
The stance is unfinished, but I can tell you the sword isn't on his back. Roks made a montage of attacks from the game for me to use as reference, and he doesn't carry his sword on his back in the video.

Download Last Bout now!
#4  September 26, 2013, 09:55:55 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
I love that tenchu chars are making it into mugen I just wish he commissioned for ayame lol. Either way he looks good ill be looking forward to both yours and his version.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#5  September 29, 2013, 09:02:22 am
  • The Yatagarasu will be coming in any moment.
I don't know about that Tenchu guy, Rikimaru, but I had seen one char in that game in a Tips & Tricks mag. Plus, the sprite looks way awesome. :)
Titiln said:
focus more and stop thinking about things like the internet or titties

Whatever happened to sex, drugs, and Rock. Nowadays, it's whores, AIDS, and Hip-Hop.
#6  October 01, 2013, 04:00:24 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
    • www.youtube.com/user/karate867
The stance is unfinished, but I can tell you the sword isn't on his back. Roks made a montage of attacks from the game for me to use as reference, and he doesn't carry his sword on his back in the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTiFYTtqOFc[/youtube]

I played tenchu a lot  when i nwas a child in PS one and later on PS2. Rikimaru hold the sword with the front hand during the stance and the atacks. Nice to see Rikimaru in a Mugen version!
#7  October 01, 2013, 05:22:04 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, I've finished at least two-thirds of the sprites at this point and the person who commissioned never said anything about which hand the sword should be in, so I'm assuming it's not that important. I'm certainly not going to resprite everything over it.

Download Last Bout now!
#8  October 02, 2013, 12:01:28 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
#9  October 02, 2013, 12:03:49 am
This character really shows how refined and comfortable you are with your spriting.
#10  October 02, 2013, 12:28:17 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
I played tenchu a lot  when i nwas a child in PS one and later on PS2. Rikimaru hold the sword with the front hand during the stance and the atacks.

If you look at the video I posted, at no point does he stand like that. That's what I'm basing this on. At 0:09 in the video, the sword is not behind his back and he's holding it with his right/far hand.

This character really shows how refined and comfortable you are with your spriting.

Thanks a lot!

Download Last Bout now!
#11  October 02, 2013, 02:56:21 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:00:05 am by Mr.Karate JKA
#12  October 02, 2013, 03:11:59 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

Rikimaru use this stance only in Tenchu II and its toung Rikimaru on this game. The worst game of Tenchu series. Anyway its only a detail .

He uses in Tenchu 1 too. Now if it is the worst in the series, that's a matter of opinion.

If you look at the video I posted, at no point does he stand like that. That's what I'm basing this on. At 0:09 in the video, the sword is not behind his back and he's holding it with his right/far hand.

Not a big deal anyways. Whichever one you choose is fine with me! :thumbsup:
#13  October 02, 2013, 05:25:30 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil

Rikimaru use this stance only in Tenchu II and its toung Rikimaru on this game. The worst game of Tenchu series. Anyway its only a detail .

He uses in Tenchu 1 too.

You're wrong. He hold the Sword with the front hand. I finished Tenchu for PSX unconble times. Also i have Tenchu 3 for PS2 and i can say the saem thing about Rikimaru's stance. The only game on Tenchu series that Rikimaru use that stance is Tenchu II. But as i said before it's just a detail.
#14  October 02, 2013, 08:17:58 am
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
In all honesty, why are people squabbling about a stance?  No one bitched about Strider Hiryu getting a change in stance when he was introduced in Marvel Vs Capcom, so why now?  It's evident that the character design is Rikimaru and knowing Sean, it won't be "Generic Ninja 101" but actually the character that a lot of people have grown to like over the years, transposed into a medium that they haven't been in before.

Chill people!  A stance isn't going to ruin a character unless it's utterly unfeasible or badly animated.  I don't think Sean's in the habit of doing this.
#15  October 03, 2013, 11:48:56 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well to be honest, no offense to Tenchu fans or Roks, but judging by the moveset I was given to sprite, he kind of seems like Generic Ninja 101. I was told to sprite the following (outside normals and basic motions):

Command Normals:

Helm Breaker
Overhead Slash
Dodge Roll

Specials:

Shuriken Throw
Bomb Throw
Smoke Bomb Throw
Lay Mine
Bow & Arrow Shot (three angles)
Strength Potion
Shoulder Rush
Wall Kick

Supers:

Super Shuriken
Fire Spell
Binding Spell
Wrath of Heaven

Just my take on it, I liked the first Tenchu (only one I played), but I wouldn't expect anything terribly mind blowing. While I've got the attention of Tenchu fans, do Rikimaru and Ayame interact much? As in, would it make sense, character wise, for her to show up during an intro or win-pose? I don't know if they're enemies or if they never actually cross paths or what.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  October 03, 2013, 12:08:25 pm
They're teammates, and they're pretty much the only active ninjas of their clan. They kind of part ways at some point (Rikimaru was believed to be dead at the end of the first game) but they're still friends.
Tenchu 2 (great one) was in their youth with a third friend who loses his memory, switches side, and then dies, there were a couple of garbage games on PS2 that were becoming gradually unplayable, copy-paste, with a boring story, and there was an awesome one on Wii and later ported on PSP, that managed to reinvent its style and still be awesome.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:13:52 pm by DKDC
#17  October 03, 2013, 05:51:26 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
The entire premise of the games was to act like the stereotyped ninja, with a bigger focus in walking in the shadows and silently disposing of enemies than in combat. It never tries being an action game at all, so no fancy stuff like, say, Ninja Gaiden.
#18  October 03, 2013, 07:29:13 pm
That's right. Assassination from a hidden place (from the shadows, a bit like Assassin's Creed) should be a bigger part, like, a "special step" that either hides the character or has him flying from an angle, and has several follow-ups - I'm thinking Kubikiri Basara from Samurai Shodown, something like that. edit - or Street Fighter's Gen.
(note that combat phases themselves are severely destroyed in the last Wii/PSP game, you mostly hide and perform situational actions, like blowing candles and pulling people into the shadows to kill them)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:41:46 pm by DKDC
#19  October 04, 2013, 01:26:32 am
Never played the game but based on your description I would say he should have a multiple threat move like Guy or Akuma where he can do x (hit low/overhead), y (high) or z (throw) but with a spin on it to make it less generic. A counter also seems appropriate but he seems to have status effects so no need.
#20  October 04, 2013, 01:45:55 am
  • I see you.
yes ayame and rikimaru are on the same side basically her being there would make plenty of sense.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#21  October 04, 2013, 04:27:50 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
It would make sense to put her in an intro or a win-pose like Smoke is with Sub-Zero if you go that route.
#22  October 13, 2013, 09:52:50 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
More animations!

Fire/Binding Spell

Shuriken Throw

Shoulder Rush 1 (Shorter Distance)

Shoulder Rush 2 (Longer Distance)

All 3 B&A Shots (Not sure how useful the diagonal down arrow shot will be, but it's what he asked for)

Drink Potion (bottle will drop and disappear in game)

Live or Die - Your Choice Intro

Download Last Bout now!
#23  October 13, 2013, 11:10:02 am
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Nice especially the last one
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#24  October 13, 2013, 11:18:32 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Chilling
#25  October 13, 2013, 12:52:00 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
Or a low hitting projectile in general

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#26  October 13, 2013, 02:46:36 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Um shouldnt he take of the mask before drinking
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#27  October 13, 2013, 03:51:21 pm
  • Small characters can kick big ass.
    • USA
Are there any plans to add any intros where he jumps in and performs a random stealth kill on a random generic enemy from the game, or are his animations kinda set in stone for the time being?

I do like where it's going so far though. I used to play Tenchu a LOT, and I loved the game.
#28  October 13, 2013, 04:25:32 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Um shouldnt he take of the mask before drinking

Logically, yes, but he doesn't in the game, soooo

Are there any plans to add any intros where he jumps in and performs a random stealth kill on a random generic enemy from the game, or are his animations kinda set in stone for the time being?

I do like where it's going so far though. I used to play Tenchu a LOT, and I loved the game.

His animations are kinda set in stone, it's all about what Roks paid me for. It is an idea I had, though.

Download Last Bout now!
#29  October 13, 2013, 05:10:38 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Any idea to implement the ninja rope somehow? (for a winpose, teleport move, etc)
#30  October 14, 2013, 05:33:20 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
The diagonal down B&A Shot can be used as an air movement (with some changes ih Rikimaru`s legs). This move does not exisist in the source game, but like in Ninja Gaiden Sigma i think it wanna be nice if Rikimaru can use this move too!
#31  October 14, 2013, 06:14:03 am
  • I see you.
is he getting his wrath of heaven attack? it would have to be nerfed but it would a cool ultimate none the less.

#32  October 15, 2013, 09:41:48 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Yes, Wrath of Heaven is his Level 3 Super.

Download Last Bout now!
#33  October 17, 2013, 04:00:23 am
  • I see you.
excellent good to know.

#34  October 25, 2013, 03:53:03 am
    • USA
Those animations look really good! Cant wait to see him finished.
#35  October 25, 2013, 06:11:33 am
  • Patiently waiting

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTiFYTtqOFc[/youtube]

This project is looking great  :) but the only thing I nodes missing is how Rikimaru missing 3-hit kick follow up (Square x3 backward Square), also a idea why not incorporate a few moves from Tenchu 4 (Shadow Assassins)

0:06 Grapple neck-break
0:22 Slam
3:38 Grapple neck-break (Jumping)
5:38 CQC

As a longtime Tenchu fan i'm look forward to how this is going to turn out Good Luck

Meanmuging all day
#36  October 28, 2013, 06:25:21 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
As per your request, sir:

And because of boredom:

Top row is a half-assed attempt to recreate the looks from the main games. One, three, and four look similar because he really hasn't changed much in terms of colors. Two uses an adaptation of his young look from Tenchu 2. The bottom ones are I'unno. Inspired by Sheik, Rasetsumaru, randomness, and Kenji/Mukuro. The first one is basically the same as the default you already posted, but slightly tweaked.

May this serve you well.