YesNoOk

How can I adapt new Sprites to a char (Read 28853 times)

Started by Charles_2011, April 13, 2022, 05:24:43 am
Share this topic:
How can I adapt new Sprites to a char
#1  April 13, 2022, 05:24:43 am
    • Peru
Hello.

I want to adapt this stand to Ryo by "Warusaki3":

I made this color separation sometime ago:

The colors are in different position, could you help me with this, please? What do I have to do? Is there a tutorial? Some video?
Re: How can I adapt new Sprites to a char
#2  April 13, 2022, 12:14:06 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
There would be a couple ways to do it. Two, really, but one would be the easier.

I'd suggest using your color edit to it's full potential. Change the colors of your character to very distinct colors. Save it as index 1,87 or another number not used you'll remember. Make sure it DOES NOT HAVE DUPLICATE COLORS.
Once you have all the crazy colors on the sprite you want, Apply the new crazy palette to the sprite you want. IF it's a group, you can do the entire group all at once.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This one is indexed as 7,18. It wont matter.

Open the new character you want to take parts from and import JUST the sprite you edited to the crazy new palette. When you import it, don't force or change the palette. Allow FF3 to import the crazy palette. Take note on the new palette's index. it's probably going to be something like 0,13 or another number starting with 0.
Scroll to the new character's image(s) you want to copy. Then use Advanced Palette Editor (Ctrl+P) to view that sprite. It's palette will probably be 1,1. Use the scroll bar to scroll all the way right to the new palette (0,13). If it's not all the way to the right, find it in the list.
In the left side of the palette, highlight ALL of the colors and send them to the right.
Scroll back to the new images palette (1,1). You'll need to know which of the crazy colors correspond to the new sprites image.
You have to send each color from the right to the left, into their proper location.
You can see in the image that I got lucky and the colors for the clothing are in the right order, so I can just send all 5 colors at once.
Do just 1 chunk of the colors and then use the 3rd icon on the top row, the 2 floppy discs, to save it as a new palette as something like 7,18.
Exit Advanced Palette editor. You're not done editing the colors just do it. It's going to help FF3 out.
Scroll to your crazy paletted image, and open up Advanced Palette Editor again. Copy the colors over to the right side.
Scroll to the sprite you're trying to copy and then find the new palette 7,18. It should be all the way to the right.
The sprite you want to copy should look normal, but with the updated color change.
Continue to swap over the colors until you've done 100%. IF you're not comfortable moving every color all at once, you can do it in chunks just like the first time. Except
Use the bottom left button, the first icon in the fourth row, to save the current palette. You wont have to use the same button as before to save the changes to the palette.

Once you have all the crazy colors on the sprite you want, Apply the new crazy palette to the sprite you want. IF it's a group, you can do the entire group all at once.

In your main character, use the Import from another project, under Sprites in the Project/Edit/View/..., (Ctrl+Shift+i)
In that pop up, put in the group you want to import.
And use the EXCHANGE option under Palette. I always click Renumber and click Add, but I leave the value at 0 because FFU would have errors if you didn't. If you get an error because that group is already being used, Change it however you want.

Your main character should now have the new sprites as the crazy palette. Scroll to your normal palette, 1,1, and see if things look good.

For this "tutorial" I didn't use the crazy colors from one image to the next. The images are just a small reference.
This should be all of the steps you need. But it's 6:15am and it's Sleep:30.
This is basically the tutorial I was going to post here
https://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.2315671
it's only taken 5y for someone to ask this question lol.  I might make this a little more clear and update that thread soon.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  April 13, 2022, 02:40:22 pm
    • Peru
Hello Odb718.

This is complex, more than I expected, I don´t have much exprience on characters, but I´ll try to do it. Thank you so much for take your time to explain me this topic so efficiently.
#4  April 13, 2022, 06:13:12 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
So, the source sprites have a lot of extra colors compared to yours... there's like 20 whites, etc.

I would recommend quickly weeding out the colors that are not relevant to this animation.  All those whites/blacks/etc are probably for some other effects in another animation.  One by one change them to some hot pink or something, until you've isolated all the relevant colors.

Then one by one, change the relevant colors in the source palette so that they have the same exact color values in your palette.  First color changes a shade of his belt?  Find that color in your palette and replace with exact color value.  Proceed to next color.

When you're done, the source palette will still have the same structure.  The colors will scattered all over compared to your layout. This is fine.  What's important is just that the colors in the sprites actually match the colors in your sprites.

At this point just need to apply your palette to the sprites from scratch, not a "remap."   I'm long out of practice, I'd probably just export the source sprites with the adjusted palette... convert to standard RGB (remove color index) then re-index them using your palette.  You should get the gist - the sprites should conform to your existing palette.

Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:18:35 pm by altoiddealer
#5  April 13, 2022, 06:33:14 pm
  • Why,

Open the new character you want to take parts from and import JUST the sprite you edited to the crazy new palette. When you import it, don't force or change the palette. Allow FF3 to import the crazy palette. Take note on the new palette's index. it's probably going to be something like 0,13 or another number starting with 0.
Scroll to the new character's image(s) you want to copy. Then use Advanced Palette Editor (Ctrl+P) to view that sprite. It's palette will probably be 1,1. Use the scroll bar to scroll all the way right to the new palette (0,13). If it's not all the way to the right, find it in the list.

Wokl that that like older ones?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#6  April 13, 2022, 11:54:50 pm
    • Peru
Thank you altoiddealer for your comment, I´ll see what I can do.
#7  April 14, 2022, 05:02:16 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
If you’re able to export all the sprites to a sheet, and import them back in… you could also fix all the colors that way.  In Photoshop there is Select > Color Range. Click on a pixel and it will select all matching pixels.  Replace the color with Paintbucket.  And so on.

Could be slightly faster than what I suggested earlier.

#8  April 14, 2022, 08:27:03 am
Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 08:42:40 am by beterhans
#9  April 14, 2022, 08:32:10 pm
    • Peru
Hello.

Beterhans, thank you so much for your video, It helps me a lot. I have a question for everyone: I made progress with the remap and the palettes, look:

But, in battle the palette doesn´t change:

Could you  help me with this, please?
#10  April 15, 2022, 01:10:13 pm
#11  April 15, 2022, 06:49:23 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Could you  help me with this, please?
You haven't applied palette 1,1 to those sprites as it's palette yet. Your palette is 1,40.
Go to the sprite, see if it changes palette numbers. Slide it to 1,1 and hit the last button above the palette; The floppy disc on top of the image and program icon.
Switch what sprite you're looking at. Then go back to the new sprite and see if it's on palette 1,1.
Save.

vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#12  April 15, 2022, 07:02:18 pm
    • Peru
I want to thank you all for your coments, the explanations and the video tutorial, I finally made it:

Thank you so much!