YesNoOk

NoZ's Legacy Custom Portrait Thread (Read 1658577 times)

Started by Saikoro, August 31, 2013, 07:27:29 pm
Share this topic:
NoZ's Legacy Custom Portrait Thread
#1  August 31, 2013, 07:27:29 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
WELCOME TO LEGACY'S OFFICIAL ONE STOP FOR ALL OF YOUR PORTRAIT SUBMISSIONS AND NEEDS.

Legacy Portrait Collection 2014

Legacy Portrait Collection 2015

It's great to keep awesome community traditions that are worth it going strong. NoZ graced us with his sublime visual talents when WarZoNe was originally released. And portrait submissions came in strong for well over two years. Quite an amazing feat, don't you think?? This thread will be used as a hub for everything Legacy related. There's no doubt that a strong following will continue here, so let's keep traditions moving along!! I cannot stress enough how great it is to see continuing submissions on a daily basis; it's amazing to see members sharing their talents here on Guild so frequently.

NoZ has supplied us with the formatting tools required for some amazing looking selection, versus and victory options. The results are pretty sweet as seen below.

Here are some important links to get you started:
SCREENPACK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/61jwhhtzhj7djz6/LEGACY.rar
PORTRAITS: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6pn8wbyggt8llpj/LEGACY_PORTRAITS.rar
TEMPLATES: http://www.mediafire.com/download/828p27888ltgcff/LEGACY_TEMPLATES.rar

For those interested, here's the older template NoZ released if you should decide to keep a different look.
http://www.mediafire.com/?hocx4h1nis5ghw2
**I have this as a backup just in case of the link should go down.**

Don't forget that Legacy's official release thread may be found HERE. ;D

Many users have had issues regarding 1.1's images and how they save, allowing for improper display when Mugen is running. Our fellow user, PresidentDevon has found a great way to circumvent this error. His simple steps are:

1. Open up FF3 and open a Character.
2. Sprite > Save As > MUGEN 1.1.
3. Replace your characters .sff with the newly created 1.1 version. Be sure to save a copy of the original .sff just in case!!
4. Find the portrait you want to replace.
5. Delete it by using the red X on the sidebar.
6. Use the slider to go to the very end of the sprite set on the right.
7. Add new sprite at 9000,0 or 9000,1 or whatever your replacing. Make sure your coords are properly set; 0,0 (or whatever is specified).
8. Save your Project.

And here's some general (and lengthy in prose :P ) PhotoShop tips to help you get the most mileage out of your image editing process. While I know a lot of you don't use PhotoShop, it's been my standard for years. And from what I understand, Gimp and Paint Shop Pro use the same general toolsets, so these tips should translate nicely. This listing was also elaborated beyond what was posted in WarZoNe's thread due to the more complex images we now work with. Colorloss and loss of detail are no longer an issue!!

First and most importantly, bo NOT rely on a single toolset compounded with a quick fix to make your image shine. The best results come from painstaking accuracy through editing with the brush tool along with others that will help make your image stand out and look pretty. The best way to summarize is to use tools only to augment your image and not define it. If you rely on the easy way out, your final images will show through, quite frankly, shit quality. So while 1.1 now offers the ability to literally throw an image on the screen with no drop in quality or colorloss, keep in mind that a really good looking portrait will still take some time to create and finally complete. If you want a solid submission, don't be afraid to spend at least two hours minimum on cleaning something up.

Be sure to avoid filters. Legacy already includes these built into NoZ's included template. The only one who I have seen using filters correctly besides NoZ would be Big Boss through his Mugen/Metal Gear Solid Screenpack. Unless if your art should require a filter of sorts, it's best to keep your image as clean as possible due to higher resolutions and NoZ's already built in offerings.

Above all else, it's best to work efficiently through knowing all of the shortcuts that you can. Don't look at efficient as doing something as fast as you can. Instead, think of it as doing as much as you can with what you have to work with in a decent amount of time.

PhotoShop has these basic shortcuts:

CTRL+N: Make a new image
CTRL+O: Open an image
CTRL+W: Close your image
CTRL+S: Save your file
CTRL+Q: Quit PhotoShop
CNTRL+Z: Undo your last step

Here are tool shortcuts:

Z: Zoom Tool
B: Brush Tool **Holding ALT while in Brush Mode will bring up the Eyedropper tool
E: Eraser Tool **Holding ALT will activate the History Eraser Tool
O: Burn Tool **Holding ALT will activate the Dodge Tool
S: Stamp/Clone Tool **Holding ALT here will target where you want to clone wherever you move your cursor
V: Move Tool

Holding SHIFT while pressing any of these listed tool keys cycles through all of your tool types as if you were using the tool tab that is on the left side of the screen by default.

Pressing X will cycle between foreground and background colors.

Pressing F will cycle between fullscreen modes. I personally love to work in a complete fullscreen mode. Give it a shot as you have more screen room to work with this way. ;D

Holding down the Spacebar activates the Hand Tool, which is usually accessed by pressing H. I mention this because this very important shortcut allows for very quick movement of your image by just dragging it around with the mouse without having to roll your pointer over the hand icon, or without switching out of zoom mode. Trust me on this one, this is one of the best shortcuts for those of us who want efficiency at full zoom without interruption.

The Eyedropper Tool (Activated by holding ALT and clicking when in Brush Mode)

This is mentioned because I read that lots of you always ask what color to use for such and such, usually through number designation. By using the Eyedropper Tool, whatever color your mouse/pointer is over can be immediately selected with a simple click. This eliminates the extra step of selecting your foreground or background color and playing with the color slider/color pool.

The History Eraser (Activated by holding ALT while clicking in Eraser Mode)

The History Eraser is a great tool to undo large areas at once. Let's say you have edged out your art and used the brush and burn tool to clean up an edge and it's surrounding area. Don't like how it looks?? Want to revert everything back in one swoop of the mouse?? Select the Eraser and hold down ALT while clicking over your designated spot. You'll see that whatever you did since your last save will be completely undone. While this is very similar to the CTRL+Z to undo something, CTRL+Z only works for your last action. The History Eraser will undo whatever you click over regardless of how big or small it is. It's best to say that the History Eraser works best when used in conjunction with the undo option/CTRL+Z.

"Shift Clicking" (I.E. defining a starting point with your first click, and then defining an end point by holding SHIFT with the second click)

This self titled method works with any tool, most notably the Brush and Eraser Tools to cover large, straight or diagonal lines, translating into very fast coverage in fewer clicks. What you're technically doing is defining a starting point with the first click. The second click defines your ending point. Try it out to see what I mean.

Burning and Dodging (Activated by O or holding ALT while clicking in Burn Mode)

With the advent of super clean looking images with 1.1, burning and dodging are definitely worth mentioning. To summarize, the Burn tool darkens pixels as if you were using a blowtorch to, say, darken the edge of of a 2x4. Therefore, burning is great for making the edges of your Portrait look cohesive and even since 99% of any converted artwork features slightly dark or full black edges. Burning is also essential for making lines or details appear darker, giving lots of additional accents or details. In the reverse, Dodging allows for the brightening of the same said details, which is great for glimmers, hair accents, lighter hues or pretty much anything that requires further detail. Be careful not to overuse either of these variants as a keen eye can easily spot liberal use of this tool.

CTRL+T: The ever so important Transform Tool.

This is a very important tool that I see a lot of people improperly use. When finding a high quality image online, it's sometimes bigger than your canvas size and you have to make it smaller in order to fit. Too many times, budding portrait makers will simply activate the transform tool and make their art smaller without keeping proportions in check just so that their image fits. This will make your edit look disproportionate and stretched. To remedy this, either click the lock icon that appears after you've activated the transform tool or you can simply hold down Shift while doing so. Also, the easiest way to keep things scaled properly is by keeping an eye on the X and Y scale: Those should always be equal, like 75% by 75%.

CTRL+ALT+I: Image Size
CTRL+ALT+C: Canvas Size

Image and Canvas Size are great for resizing your image quickly. The Canvas Size will make your overall image's background bigger or smaller, exactly like a canvass would. The Image Size will make the entire image itself larger or smaller. I always work with a large canvass with a small image inside it as another layer. Which reminds me of this shortcut:

CTRL+SHIFT+N: New Layer.
**I always have a clear background layer with my image as the foreground layer.

To summarize, it's best to know your shortcuts and toolsets!! This allows for you to work faster and be far more efficient. But remember, efficient should not be confused with finishing something faster. Instead, look at is a way of getting more work done in less time so you can focus your efforts and make better quality stuff. Everyone always asks me how I make such high quality and clean looking images; It's simply a matter of patience and time.

Again, that's up to you and your very own work ethic. And your personal view on quality. :devilish:

To close these tips out, here's a video that best demonstrates the basics. Although Legacy is all fancy with 1.1, 32bit .PNG files, there is still work that has to be done in order to clean, size and set up your selected image for NoZ's template standards. While indexing isn't the case anymore this video is still worth a look.

Lets keep support for Legacy going strong!! :twisted:
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:32:23 pm by Just No Point
Re: NoZ's Legacy Custom Portrait Thread
#2  August 31, 2013, 07:29:42 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
:) He did it! :D
#3  August 31, 2013, 07:37:23 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#4  August 31, 2013, 07:49:31 pm
  • constructive criticism welcomed
    • USA
    • mugennoobin.imgur.com
no one likes mine -.- im hurt

Perfection is a myth, always strive to be better
My Ports: http://mugennoobin.imgur.com
#5  August 31, 2013, 07:50:48 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+

#6  August 31, 2013, 08:04:41 pm
  • RISSSSSSIIIIINNNNGGGGG TACO!!!
    • USA
#7  August 31, 2013, 08:39:07 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Great Idea on making this Topic thread Saikoro.

Well, the idea really is to keep the momentum and interest going. I really can't stress enough at how much I love seeing the community come together with such fantastic sharing and artwork releases. We really have something special coming along here, and I can't wait to see what you guys cook up for the select screen. ;D

I also find Legacy challenging in the sense that NoZ upped the ante resolution and quality wise for this release. Therefore, blemishes will be easier to point out, art will have to be sharp and fresh, and quality formatting will have to come the old fashioned way: Through hard work and dedication. Great work will easily be separated from Good work this time. Either way, it's gonna be a wild ride and I know for a fact that everyone here will not disappoint.

As soon as NoZ releases his template, I am going to update the first post with some more in-depth information and links, along with taking a few of my elements from WarZoNe's first post for creating stuff (with updates of course :) ).

Welcome to Legacy's one stop for all of your portrait needs.

#8  August 31, 2013, 09:00:39 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
*see's Nero portrait*

I feel special :llama:
#9  August 31, 2013, 09:13:16 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
*see's Nero portrait*

I feel special :llama:

LOL I went back and updated the first post with many more menu screen submissions that I felt were best based off of these criteria:

• Most importantly, eye catching art
  • Style
  • Presentation
  • Matching visual styles, as in all of these would mix in together well of shown on the screen all at once.

But this is more of a personal preference. Everyone has released some beautiful work and I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store. ;D

#10  August 31, 2013, 09:18:07 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
May I post some of my favs?

#11  August 31, 2013, 09:19:14 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
Yo Sai, I think you should spoiler the portrait examples

Posted: August 31, 2013, 09:47:41 pm
I herd y'all liek DragonClaw :llama:

Should I change my style or do you guys think I should make a few more like this?
#12  August 31, 2013, 09:49:47 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+

Should I change my style or do you guys think I should make a few more like this?

HOLY shit!! Dragonclaw looks fucking epic!! If you could, can I get the original image?? I'm looking to make a 240x280 for him and that art would certainly help.

And yeah, keep that style going. It looks awesome.

I think you should spoiler the portrait examples

Done

May I post some of my favs?

By all means, please do!! Just be sure to spolier them as Watta recommended to me. ;D

#13  August 31, 2013, 09:57:27 pm
  • RISSSSSSIIIIINNNNGGGGG TACO!!!
    • USA

Holly shit Watta!! that looks Bad Ass!!
Send me that original art too Watta, I could use it for a small port if you could please :D
Never mind I found it :D
Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:02:35 pm by Hungry Wolf
#14  August 31, 2013, 10:02:51 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright

Here's the source buddy :D

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I made that last portrait in 10 minutes, I was gonna blur the background a bit more but I forgot too lol.

Holly shit Watta!! that looks Bad Ass!!
Send me that original art too Watta, I could use it for a small port if you could please :D

Thanks bro :) Posted it above

IIRC NoZ used this render before in one of his WarZoNe portraits too

#15  August 31, 2013, 10:07:51 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio

#16  August 31, 2013, 10:10:21 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Thanks so much Watta. I was looking everywhere for a fitting Dragonclaw image and this one is perfect. Really, I can't thank you enough.

This thread is already off to an amazing start and the possibilities are incredibly exciting. Dragonclaw above proves that theory. :mmhmm:

Goddamn Quickfist, I forgot about a couple of those. Yeah, this is gearing up so well, I can't put proper words on it. To prove that, I am at work and I created this thread while sitting at my cubicle. One of my best friends/brothers works with me, so on the way out, I waved him down to come on over. I then showed him some of the select screen shots NoZ shared with us and his jaw dropped. His eyebrows also went up with all of those Menu Screen Submissions.

For someone not even remotely into Mugen (I still show him stuff and he is always amazed), he thought all of this stuff is badass. So yeah, there you go. :llama:

Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:15:12 pm by Saikoro
#17  August 31, 2013, 10:13:38 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
Thanks so much Watta. I was looking everywhere for a fitting Dragonclaw image and this one is perfect. Really, I can't thank you enough.

This thread is already off to an amazing start and the possibilities are incredibly exciting. Dragonclaw above proves that theory. :mmhmm:

:mmhmm: I would make more, but I need to find some really good renders first you know? Otherwise, the render might kill the whole thing :P
#18  September 01, 2013, 03:25:44 am
    • USA
    • mugennoobin.imgur.com
Watta, GTFO that DragonClaw , is there a next next level in port making? you just hit it bro!

Posted: September 01, 2013, 03:27:11 am
my fav one, DragonClaw, hands down

#19  September 01, 2013, 03:56:50 am
Awesome DragonClaw Watta. I was hoping someone make a custom original chars templates for Legacy. I don't know how to do templates but can anyone here do Flamme & Fliz (char made by Juke Kisaragi) templates please? Maybe even custom portraits in the future? Thanks in advance.  :sugoi:
#20  September 01, 2013, 04:07:26 am
    • USA
    • mugennoobin.imgur.com
NoZ said template should be out in a week, but im sure once we get em its off to the races AND its 1.1 so custom port requests will be flying like hotcakes