YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2500563 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#7121  December 04, 2015, 06:33:14 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
regardless of where you stand on gamergate, the way he has handled pretty much every crowdfunded project is the bigger problem

Broken age was a massive disapointment after all the crowd funding it got.

It goes nowhere, does nothing and ends  without actually ending.  Not to mention that the second part completely reuses the assets from the first part, having no new places whatsoever.

The experience was sub par , and while the graphics and voices were great, it didnt really deliver that much in the way of a narrative.

The puzzles were also kindof weird , but thats nitpicking.

That bad? What other projects he did under crowdfunding past Broken Age did he fuck up spectacularly?
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#7122  December 04, 2015, 07:29:34 pm
    • USA
http://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/

Their Early Access game from last year. Going from Alpha to full release and completely abandoning the game in a very shameful state. Just google the name of the game and you'll probably find a lot of info about what happened.
#7123  December 04, 2015, 08:07:00 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
regardless of where you stand on gamergate, the way he has handled pretty much every crowdfunded project is the bigger problem

It goes nowhere, does nothing and ends  without actually ending.  Not to mention that the second part completely reuses the assets from the first part, having no new places whatsoever.

The experience was sub par , and while the graphics and voices were great, it didnt really deliver that much in the way of a narrative.

That bad? What other projects he did under crowdfunding past Broken Age did he fuck up spectacularly?

Broken age was supposed to be a single game, it got divided into two parts ( episodes) that were sold separatedly and release of the second part was dependant on the first one selling well.
It had a dream voice actor team and all and both episodes  hardly match , the first is all about dialogue and hidden object puzzle , the second is about literal word and line puzzles you have to translate back and forth to find solutions to stuff.  It was annoying, even if gorgeous.

A cardinal rule of point and click games is broken when the solution to a puzzle is to literally
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

But I think what annoyed me the most was that the plotline that was set with the first episode was replaced by a second episode where its pretyt much just wandering and doing nothing.

The ending is
#7124  December 05, 2015, 12:29:57 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
http://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/

Their Early Access game from last year. Going from Alpha to full release and completely abandoning the game in a very shameful state. Just google the name of the game and you'll probably find a lot of info about what happened.
IIRC, the problem with Spacebase was that they tried to fund it entirely through Steam early access and never made enough money from it to actually finish the game.

At any rate, it's probably worth pointing out that crowdfunding is only playing a small part in Psychonauts 2.  On the official site it states they're budgeting the full production at around $13 million, and the crowdfund is only looking for $3 million.  They've already got a bunch of investors lined up to cover the bulk of the cost.
#7125  December 05, 2015, 12:39:36 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#7126  December 05, 2015, 01:06:41 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Undertale doesn't really seem like a great comparison here? It's a very lo-fi game (made in GameMaker) that was made almost entirely by one person. It's kind of the most absolutely fringe case to compare to. It's a really huge achievement but one of the reason it's so extraordinary is how unusual it is; I'm sure there are other KickStarted games out there with similar funding goals and similar levels of graphical fidelity that would make better comparisons, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.
#7127  December 05, 2015, 01:16:07 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Im saying crowdfunding fits those lo fi games better than what they are attempting to do.
Their goals are far more reasonable.
#7128  December 05, 2015, 01:17:13 am
    • USA
Ah, gotcha.

Well, if crowdsourcing is only making up a small fraction of the budget this time around, maybe things will turn out better? I really want a good Psychonauts sequel!
#7129  December 05, 2015, 01:21:01 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Broken age was also like, a huge success as far as crowd funding goes , asking for the same value doesnt seem odd to you?
#7130  December 05, 2015, 01:22:36 am
    • USA
I'm less worried because the vast majority of the funding is coming from other sources.
#7131  December 05, 2015, 01:26:35 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Broken age was also like, a huge success as far as crowd funding goes , asking for the same value doesnt seem odd to you?

If anything it says to me they're learning from their mistakes.  Broken Age had massive delays because even with the huge overshoot they massively underestimated how much money they'd need to make the game and ended up having to make it episodic so they could use game sales to fund the rest.  So now they're shooting higher and they've already guaranteed most of the budget before even starting the crowdfund.
#7132  December 05, 2015, 03:54:25 pm
    • Philippines
For the love of God, please don't give any money to Tim Schafer
#7133  December 06, 2015, 04:37:22 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
#7134  December 06, 2015, 04:52:22 pm
    • Germany
Afaik many big companys don't want to work with Tim Schafer anymore because they know that he always burns the budget for engine changes stuff that most of the time not even becomes part of the games etc.

He can make good games but he needs someone else who controlls the money for him, because he can't.
#7135  December 06, 2015, 05:04:54 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
#7136  December 06, 2015, 05:22:49 pm
  • The Goddess Returns

Broken age was supposed to be a single game, it got divided into two parts ( episodes) that were sold separatedly and release of the second part was dependant on the first one selling well.
It had a dream voice actor team and all and both episodes  hardly match , the first is all about dialogue and hidden object puzzle , the second is about literal word and line puzzles you have to translate back and forth to find solutions to stuff.  It was annoying, even if gorgeous.

A cardinal rule of point and click games is broken when the solution to a puzzle is to literally

But I think what annoyed me the most was that the plotline that was set with the first episode was replaced by a second episode where its pretyt much just wandering and doing nothing.

The ending is

Jeez, that's just pretty ridiculous right there...but sadly, I'm not really a point and click-type of gamer(meaning I don't play games like Myst and such) so I'm kinda off when it comes to that. Everything else is just wow.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#7137  December 06, 2015, 05:59:43 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
FF6?!

Yes please. (Hopefully its a port of the GBA remake)

It is absolutely without a doubt going to be a port of the iOS version, so if you like what they did to FFV you will like this.

I personally don't, so I will be sticking with the GBA version just like FFV.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time