YesNoOk

extracting a sprite frames to apply an effect  (Read 1833 times)

Started by saeedalshaikhpygas, August 02, 2020, 12:45:35 pm
Share this topic:
extracting a sprite frames to apply an effect
#1  August 02, 2020, 12:45:35 pm
Hi folks ,

Is it possible to extract all character frames as images , apply a desired effect in an external software and then replace all sprites from images in batch mode instead of doing it one by one ?

I can't seem to do that in fighter factory studio, I could only replace one frame with an image one by one.

Thanks in advance.
Re: extracting a sprite frames to apply an effect
#2  August 03, 2020, 05:10:08 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Export the sff file. As long as you don't change the x/y of the images as you edit them you can import them again afterwards through the same tool.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  August 03, 2020, 05:56:58 am
Thank you for replying,

What tool do you recommend ?

If you mean fighter factory studio , then how do I import all images in batch mode?

Thanks in advance.
#4  August 03, 2020, 06:56:42 am
in fighter factory studio under the tab sprites>save image aligned>all> select a folder>hit save button
it will save all the frames of the .sff file into multiple archives (it also generates a file with the x and y pos)

but also there is export (Ctrl+E) under sprites tab and import (Ctrl+I) (guess this is what Cyanide mean) since this export/import everything including the groups numbers
Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:04:23 am by madphantom
#5  August 03, 2020, 07:30:11 am
yeah,

If I use save image aligned , it does extract all sprites into images ,
 but how do I import all of them in batch mode once I'm done with them?

Regarding export/import under sprites tab , this actually works perfectly ,
however when ever I try to save after importing is done , it hit me with "you can't save this sff without palettes"
How do I deal with that ?

The reason I want this , is to apply AI upscaleing on characters ,
I was able to replace couple of frames and it saved without problem , and even loaded into mugen successfully.

https://imgur.com/a/1sjBGas   
#6  August 03, 2020, 08:46:44 pm
if you use save image aligned you need to"rebuild" the .sff file (because you lose the group, index numbers) so you can do this group by group aka manually
i just tried  the "fighter factory export" on kung fu man and then imported it back with no problems or pop-ups
so im not sure about that thing about sff palettes..

did you try with the "apply the current palette to the specified sprites" option or saved any palette into the .sff (i guess that 1.1 sff format saves palettes right into the .sff)
dont know but i think you need to generate a palette for the upscaled sprites (maybe in PS) and place it at 1,1 in .sff index for the others sprites to use it
#7  August 09, 2020, 04:51:12 pm
First of all , apologies for the response delay, afraid real life got in the way.

I'm grateful for the responses , however I still couldn't make work unfortunately.

I'm always hit with "you can't save this sff without palettes"

2 files are uploaded down below :

-original.7z which contain the character (K-dash) along side it's original unmodified export by fighter factory studio

https://mega.nz/file/9AA0hYxD#rGnqpvcIYXxnUjyqHy0TbNp2skKvPRZCLsv3kJA3yUk

-merged.rar which contain the upscaled images from the first link "original export" (upscaling is done by the talented individual LyonHrt)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1igftcE3dy70V-ZPnRI1sNsC6kInfA5W6/view

I'm looking how to import the upscaled images in batch mode instead of doing it one by one.

Another issue that I ran into, is that when I loaded some of the images sprites (which are x4 of the original sprite size) into the character sprite, I had to adjust the size from the character file "K'.cns" to

xscale = 0.25
yscale = 0.25

in order for the character to appear the normal size when loaded into mugen

https://imgur.com/a/1sjBGas

However , this screwed up the hit boxes as they also got reduced to 1/4th despite the normal appearance.
what can be done about the hit boxes?

if someone can put a guide on how to do this one character, I can work with all the rest (working on kof zillion BTW)

Thanks in advance.   

#8  August 13, 2020, 02:55:27 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I believe you'll have to scale the hitboxes by hand. I don't know of a way to do that automatically.
When I make a character from scratch, it's way easier to use Fighter Factory 3 to import the groups of sprites. You have to number the sprites by hand if you do it any other way. FF3 can help assign the numbers way faster.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv