YesNoOk

Cafe' (1.1 Only) by Waneella and Vegaz (Read 17761 times)

Started by Vegaz_Parrelli, June 02, 2023, 07:01:51 pm
Share this topic:
Cafe' (1.1 Only) by Waneella and Vegaz
#1  June 02, 2023, 07:01:51 pm
  • I must continue my training...
[PREVIEW]

[DOWNLOAD]

Decaffeinated

[COMMENT]

Got some heat thanks to the wonderful artwork of Waneella. Got that parallax, scale delta and looped bgm foe yo soul! Enjoy!

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
Re: Cafe' (1.1 Only) by Waneella and Vegaz
#2  June 02, 2023, 10:15:15 pm
  • For me, it was Tuesday.
    • Ireland
Nice stage, man!

Your powers shall feed my ambitions nicely!
#3  June 03, 2023, 02:06:29 am

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
[/quote said:
#4  June 03, 2023, 04:43:04 am
  • Rurouni Fan
  • The dream is nothing yet drive us to the end.
    • www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWlQGjKyJWoXxMR8nrea7P4R9C0JnA-_
Waneella's art is just amazing. Anyway, let's get to the feedback.

- Why are the sprites resized by 300%? It's not necessary, just use the sprites in their native resolution and localcoord = 320,180.

- Since you're aiming for 16:9, I recommend using zoomin and zoomout at 0.75.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
As you can see, using the zoom values mentioned above, the stage is at the level of what Beterhans calls the "True Widescreen Stage", although it loses the "zoom effect" and needs some spriting at the bottom, which isn't difficult considering the minimalist style and it's just a piece of asphalt.

- The way scaledelta is used is not very effective, with everything on the same layer there is no sense of depth. Ideally some elements would be separated to use this feature, or the easiest way would be to keep things flat which would work too.

- About the music, have you considered using the ogg format? A few mp3 songs is no problem, but keeping a folder with 50,100 or more mp3 files... In that case there is a difference. I uploaded the song earlier today to a site where I do conversions and the song was about 55% the size of its mp3 version. The link, if you are interested:
One day someone will rip the Inuyasha stages... Not today nor tomorrow, probably not even in this decade. But you know, someday... :')

Did you play the new
#5  June 05, 2023, 07:58:47 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

- Why are the sprites resized by 300%? It's not necessary, just use the sprites in their native resolution and localcoord = 320,180.

As you can see, using the zoom values mentioned above, the stage is at the level of what Beterhans calls the "True Widescreen Stage", although it loses the "zoom effect" and needs some spriting at the bottom, which isn't difficult considering the minimalist style and it's just a piece of asphalt.

- The way scaledelta is used is not very effective, with everything on the same layer there is no sense of depth. Ideally some elements would be separated to use this feature, or the easiest way would be to keep things flat which would work too.

- About the music, have you considered using the ogg format? A few mp3 songs is no problem, but keeping a folder with 50,100 or more mp3 files... In that case there is a difference. I uploaded the song earlier today to a site where I do conversions and the song was about 55% the size of its mp3 version. The link, if you are interested:

I love this edited version.
How to edit it this way. or DL this edited version?
#6  June 06, 2023, 12:54:00 am
  • Rurouni Fan
^
The screenshot is literally below the explanation of how to get the result shown.

I missed some points in my previous post.
- Since zooming is enabled, as shown in the screenshot you posted there's a black border at the bottom - it needs some spriting.
- Don't use delta zoom for elements that are at the same distance as the characters (floor). Zoomdelta below 1 decreases the effect of zoom on the element it is applied to and makes the characters axis "slip" when zoom is activated.
- Do not use spr = stages/. Just let spr = stage.sff. As it stands, if the stage is moved to a subfolder, the stage will throw an error.
- You could have used "boundhigh =-80" to allow jump to the stage.
- "bgmvolume takes a parameter of 100 for 100%".
One day someone will rip the Inuyasha stages... Not today nor tomorrow, probably not even in this decade. But you know, someday... :')

Did you play the new
#7  June 06, 2023, 04:33:16 pm

First off, thank you so much for giving such detailed feedback. It shows you really took time to examine my stage.

- Unless I misunderstand, I only increased the sprites by 20% using scalestart. The actual sprite size hasn't been changed.

-I think I see why you chose to zoom out. Some don't like the fact the zoomed in look. Also adding sprites to the bottome would also change the length of the the floor, which in turn would change the parallax formula. Then I'd have to alter the rest of the stage as well. Not a lot, but indeed extra. In this case, I believe it's a single color. So just adding a single color sprite accross the bottom might work.

-There are some elements that are animated separating, for example the the 2 stores from the fense and the trees would be quite a task. Plus there are small leaves that drop from the trees. Keeping the stage flat is cool, but a little bit of parallax is better than none so I tried to balance necessary effort with cool features.

-Ogg is cool. Just use a converter. Much like Momotaro can make the changes themselves...

I missed some points in my previous post.
- Since zooming is enabled, as shown in the screenshot you posted there's a black border at the bottom - it needs some spriting.
- Don't use delta zoom for elements that are at the same distance as the characters (floor). Zoomdelta below 1 decreases the effect of zoom on the element it is applied to and makes the characters axis "slip" when zoom is activated.
- Do not use spr = stages/. Just let spr = stage.sff. As it stands, if the stage is moved to a subfolder, the stage will throw an error.
- You could have used "boundhigh =-80" to allow jump to the stage.
- "bgmvolume takes a parameter of 100 for 100%".

-I sometimes get that black border in my screenshots but I don't see in in gameplay

-Actually this was something Margatroid showed me. But there can be a bit of sliding. If used in very small amounts, I feel it can add more depth. But I'm still experimenting with it.

-I get that. Make the stage adding fool proof. But few people use anything other than that. I guess some put stages and sounds into one folder. That might be you, consideing you yourself are a content creator, iirc. (You're the Rurouni Kenshin guy right?)

-I didn't want superjump. This stage was with CVS characters in mind I suppose. But using the zoom settings you suggested negates this. I definitely like those so I'll be applying them.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll add the update soon.

[/quote said:
#8  June 06, 2023, 11:53:53 pm
  • Rurouni Fan
- Unless I misunderstand, I only increased the sprites by 20% using scalestart. The actual sprite size hasn't been changed.
The stage in its native resolution would look like this:

It would just be optimization.

-Ogg is cool. Just use a converter. Much like Momotaro can make the changes themselves...
Indeed. That's why I shared in my post a link to a good online converter with the music already uploaded (expired by time).

-I sometimes get that black border in my screenshots but I don't see in in gameplay
It depends on who's playing style, whether someone uses or fights a zoner, the black border is recurring.

-I get that. Make the stage adding fool proof. But few people use anything other than that. I guess some put stages and sounds into one folder. That might be you, consideing you yourself are a content creator, iirc. (You're the Rurouni Kenshin guy right?)
I put the songs in the sound folder. I used to use "spr=stages/" too. It was never a problem until I decided to organize the stages into subfolders by game or creator. And, yes I am the "Ruroken" guy.

-I didn't want superjump. This stage was with CVS characters in mind I suppose. But using the zoom settings you suggested negates this. I definitely like those so I'll be applying them.
True. Using the Beterhans method, some further modifications are necessary. Boundhigh would be -18.

It's a shame that not all of Waneella's stages are shared in a way that we can use them. Great art.

Did you play the new
#9  June 07, 2023, 01:56:03 am

It's a shame that not all of Waneella's stages are shared in a way that we can use them. Great art.

Indeed. Some of it can be separated. Most have so many moving parts or odd perspectives that it's hard to impossible to do. At least for use on a free software program used as a hobby.

[/quote said:
#10  June 26, 2023, 05:47:28 pm

Updated the bounds.

[/quote said: