YesNoOk

The controversy over Sprites (Read 3256 times)

Started by Duo Solo, September 18, 2009, 03:23:08 am
Share this topic:
The controversy over Sprites
#1  September 18, 2009, 03:23:08 am
    • USA
I dont understand why people claim sprites that they themselves did not create but try to own. For example, some guy ripped the sprites of Ryu from CVS2 and claims them as their own and nobody uses them without their permission. I think this is wrong, seeing as how the sprites are the property of CAPCOM and nobody needs the ripper's permission to use them. Give credit for guy who ripped the sprites, sure. But asking the ripper to use the sprites THAT ARNT THEIRS seems ridiculous.

What I do believe is that if you create YOUR OWN sprites, your entitled to use them in any way you want. For example, Warner's Homer. Homer is based on The Simpsons, a trademark series. BUT Warner created the sprites so others are allowed to ask him permission to use them.

Am I wrong?
Re: The controversy over Sprites
#2  September 18, 2009, 03:25:25 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
some guy ripped the sprites of Ryu from CVS2 and claims them as their own and nobody uses them without their permission.

He did rip them, so while they're technically Capcom's, they're his on his creation, as well as he did the work of extracting them, so in a sense they are his.
#3  September 18, 2009, 03:28:27 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
This avatar? I'm laying claim on it. Not my character, but I took the picture and resized it. So it's my picture.

Really, I don't considering essentially taking pictures of pictures equal to ownership of those pictures if it's not of your own creation.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#4  September 18, 2009, 03:32:15 am
    • USA
It doesn't matter that he ripped them. Its still the property of Capcom and trying to regulate and claim sprites that you yourself do not own seems very hypocritical to me. Hell, if I wanted to create Ryu, whats to stop me from taking his "so-called owned" sprites and making my own Ryu? Whats he gonna do, sue me for using sprites that he himself does not own? Also, why do sprite warehouse websites request that you ask permission to use sprites? If you didn't create it and is patented, then you should not be claiming them. Why do I need to ask permission?
#5  September 18, 2009, 03:38:26 am
  • RUN!
some guy ripped the sprites of Ryu from CVS2 and claims them as their own and nobody uses them without their permission.

He did rip them, so while they're technically Capcom's, they're his on his creation, as well as he did the work of extracting them, so in a sense they are his.
this is only a belief based in this community, but if you want to get "REAL" technical the sprites would still be intelectual property of capcom or whoever did whatever sprites are in question
but in all due honesty, there are plenty open source alternatives, so I dunno why would one want to bother getting the sprites off a certain author that wants to make imaginary claims of ownership on the internet. (specially over a ryu) :P

It doesn't matter that he ripped them. Its still the property of Capcom and trying to regulate and claim sprites that you yourself do not own seems very hypocritical to me. Hell, if I wanted to create Ryu, whats to stop me from taking his "so-called owned" sprites and making my own Ryu? Whats he gonna do, sue me for using sprites that he himself does not own? Also, why do sprite warehouse websites request that you ask permission to use sprites? If you didn't create it and is patented, then you should not be claiming them. Why do I need to ask permission?

There has been C&D's sent in this community (yep, insanity) I even know of a certain little forum that was forced to shut down for warehousing a character. However in this case the character was a fan made version of kirby (all original drawn sprites code, etc)

Also slightly off topic but if you need free to use Ryu sprites go to JNP's forum he has freely available versions of them I believe
Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:48:51 am by Eyeshield21
#6  September 18, 2009, 04:02:32 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
his thing is, why should i give credit to jnp for ripping them when theyre property of capcom.

listenbro heres how i see it. this bro went  through the trouble of ripping sprites for open use, if all he asks is some credit ina readme, thats not that big a deal right? alot better than you having to go and rip them yourself, right?

its just a little respect offered to the bro, thats all, nothing to do with property,but the work put in to bring that to you. if youre not going to get anything from ripping then whats the point, let everyone rip their own goddamn sprites.
#7  September 18, 2009, 04:04:13 am
  • RUN!
JNP is open source bro and he doesnt care afaik if he gets credit or not (tho it would be nice)
I believe he must be talking about another author (I suggested JNP because he IS OPEN SOURCE)
the author he is talking about does not want to let him use the sprites --;
#8  September 18, 2009, 04:09:39 am
#9  September 18, 2009, 04:11:19 am
  • I got a PM.
Rip yourself. It is rewarding. And then you can make them open source.

I asked people not to use my Batman sprites. Why? Because it took a long time and I made a bunch of edits. I didn't want 10 Batmen popping up with my sprites before I finished my updates. Which at this rate, I will never finish.

At the same time, if someone stole them, I wouldn't get that pissed.
#10  September 18, 2009, 04:12:08 am
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
People recolor Sonic and call it Originality :(
#11  September 18, 2009, 04:12:42 am
  • RUN!
There has been C&D's sent in this community
Besides Kirby, who else sent them out?
actually you do have a point, its only been once but it was multiple C&D's sent because of the character in question. If I remember correctly 2 were sent until the provider gave a "final warning" to the owner of the site. So technically still C&D's just not for multiple characters

Rip yourself. It is rewarding. And then you can make them open source.

yep I do that all the time, but if there are open source alternatives already available (and in this case there are) its not a problem either :)
#12  September 18, 2009, 05:15:20 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
i was using jnp as an example, i know he's open source :P

i hope people use my akatsuki dosu spritesheet in the naruto mugen community backin the day. it had a really bad pallete and basically i just burned the entire spritesheet with the ps burn too :P looked badass.
#13  September 18, 2009, 10:35:12 am
:omg:
You "give credit" to these guys (you thank them) because they took time and did some work to provide you with the sprites, something you didn't take the time to do yourself. You simply thank them for taking the time to do it, for putting some work in it.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#14  September 18, 2009, 10:48:56 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Byakko is right, you thank them, show some respect, they dont own the shindig but that doesnt mean you go like "FUCK THAT JNP GUY I HATE HIS GUTs, LET ME USE HIS RIPS NOW THAT HE RIPPED FOR OTHERS, THE JACKASS."
#15  September 18, 2009, 11:36:06 am
  • *something witty yeah*
I dont understand why people claim sprites that they themselves did not create but try to own. For example, some guy ripped the sprites of Ryu from CVS2 and claims them as their own and nobody uses them without their permission. I think this is wrong, seeing as how the sprites are the property of CAPCOM and nobody needs the ripper's permission to use them. Give credit for guy who ripped the sprites, sure. But asking the ripper to use the sprites THAT ARNT THEIRS seems ridiculous.

What I do believe is that if you create YOUR OWN sprites, your entitled to use them in any way you want. For example, Warner's Homer. Homer is based on The Simpsons, a trademark series. BUT Warner created the sprites so others are allowed to ask him permission to use them.

Am I wrong?
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
[/center]
#16  September 18, 2009, 06:41:47 pm
:omg:
You "give credit" to these guys (you thank them) because they took time and did some work to provide you with the sprites, something you didn't take the time to do yourself. You simply thank them for taking the time to do it, for putting some work in it.

I'll give them all the thanks they need. I have nothing against giving credit. But when you're trying to lay claim over the sprites, then I have a problem.

I believe I mentioned this before, but I remember hearing someone on youtube saying recolors are original, but recolored recolors shouldn't be done.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#17  September 18, 2009, 06:46:11 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I'll give them all the thanks they need. I have nothing against giving credit. But when you're trying to lay claim over the sprites, then I have a problem.

You mean those guys that throw a fit if you use a street fighter sprite from them and then start making lists of things people should adhere if they wish to use anything? Yeah , screw that.

Being respectful is one thing, but when people start trying to hord stuff and become insuferable i cant stand them either. the above mentioned JNP suffered at the hands of people that didnt want him to supply people with sprites since it cut into their system where only their "people" had access to materials.
#18  September 18, 2009, 10:26:27 pm
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA

I believe I mentioned this before, but I remember hearing someone on youtube saying recolors are original, but recolored recolors shouldn't be done.

Heh, I care little for what someone on youtube says about recoloring, this is one area where I feel comfortable in saying this.

From a Legal Standpoint, if a Character Creation is 75% or more similar to another's as a whole, it is liable for a lawsuit.
Using this logic, if something is 75% similar to something else as a whole, then it's not to really be considered original. So those recolors are not only unoriginal due to design, but clearly due to taking official artwork from series and recoloring that!
#19  September 18, 2009, 11:45:07 pm
I just thought it was funny how someone on youtube said that. I don't make *that much* of a big deal on recolors, so I'm not too involved, but I'd have to say you would need to get your head checked if your Recolored and Traced from Official Artwork character is, to you, original.

Cenobite 53 said:
#20  September 19, 2009, 03:46:53 am
    • USA
The CVS2 Ryu thing was an example I made up. Im not mad that someone wouldnt let me use the sprites they ripped.

But yeah, if someone went through the trouble to rip the sprites, I'll give them credit for ripping them. I have a problem when they try and claim it as their own and say who can and can't use them.

The only people who are entitled to their sprites are people who create something original and unique. For example, Tsunamidusher's WIP. His WIP is not patented, not someone elses work, so he is entitled to own (and maybe distribute) the sprites himself. If someone where to take them without permission, they are in the wrong.

Get what I'm saying?