YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734027 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#2001  March 28, 2020, 02:57:03 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Personally I want Dr. Coyle to be this newcomer mainly for the fact we need a villian rep from any series and she can create a gimmick involving invisiblity during a knocked down state.

There is speculation that this newcomer is from a rumored ARMS sequel and is there to promote it.  Basically like Roy in Melee.
#2002  March 28, 2020, 03:51:28 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Just a villain to represent the entire series in a game about representing series instead of their main star or closest equivalent, at least for something so new as Arms, would come across a little odd to me.  To someone who'd never played nor heard of Arms, to then learn of it through Smash, get interested in it, only to find they won't be playing as the character they've become accustomed to in Smash would probably be disappointing.  At least as the first character showing from said series in Smash, anyways.  Like, M. Bison's a lot cooler a character than Ryu, but prior to his addition in Smash 4 if I were to expect a SF character to show, it would obviously have either been Ryu or Chun-Li.

I haven't touched Hero in a while and pretty much never use Bowser Jr. so how different are their different model animations across all their different skins?  Because if they are fairly different enough to take into account their different sized bodies and equipment to still be performing the same moves, I'd see them doing the all-in-one deal with the Arms cast.  Besides the hair woman and I think there's a robot with a dog, they all essentially perform similar moves in their own game that could be all merged into one Smash character.  Wouldn't be surprised if it is just one of them, that is asking for a lot, but it also being first-party leads me to believe they would put the extra effort in for their own characters.

Also, why are weaponized-hair women a reoccurring trait in Smash predictions/requests I've noticed?  Bayonetta set a very bizarre precedent.  I'm not helping wanting Midna and Shantae, but still.
#2003  March 28, 2020, 03:54:31 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
All of the Koopalings in Bowser Jr. were basically shrunk to Jr.'s size and crammed into that clown car. It looks really weird.
#2004  March 28, 2020, 05:57:49 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
It's the same with Robin too.  Male Robin's height got shrunk down so he'd be the same height as female Robin.

I'm actually hoping for Dr. Coyle too.  Of the ARMS cast, her design is cool, and her theme is awesome.
#2005  March 28, 2020, 06:57:10 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
We all know its going to be Twintail :P
Cuz this vvv

Come on we all think the same thing here right?
I personally want Brass but I know it won't happen.
#2006  March 28, 2020, 07:22:15 am
    • Brazil
Just a villain to represent the entire series in a game about representing series instead of their main star or closest equivalent, at least for something so new as Arms, would come across a little odd to me.  To someone who'd never played nor heard of Arms, to then learn of it through Smash, get interested in it, only to find they won't be playing as the character they've become accustomed to in Smash would probably be disappointing.  At least as the first character showing from said series in Smash, anyways.
Pretty much. Despite thinking that it was a possibility for all Arms characters to be condensed into one, like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, these ones can afford to share the same moveset like that simply because they belong to one of, if not the most famous video game franchise in history. On the other side of the coin, there is Dragon Quest Hero, which comes from a much smaller franchise than Mario, but condensed multiple characters into one, though I assume, due to him just being called "Hero" that they are nameless avatars for the player that don't have as much prestige as Link to have their own official names. With Arms, though, they're not nameless avatars nor they're secondary characters from a huge franchise, so they need specific representation, which likely means the most notable members of the game will appear, likely one of those shown right in the game's cover: Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, most likely the former, since the latter is not in focus despite delivering an attack.
#2007  March 28, 2020, 12:44:05 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I agree that it's much more likely they'll go with the face of the game before the less prominent fan-favorites.  That's why Three Houses got Byleth and not Claude or Edelgard.  Or why Sakurai had to wait until all of the important Mario characters were playable first before he could get away with adding Piranha Plant.

That being said, I can't help but think it's not going to be Spring Man.  Not because of the assist trophy aspect, but because I feel like if it was just him they wouldn't be acting so coy about it.  Going back to the Street Fighter example, think about if back in Sm4sh instead of just announcing Ryu, they showed a teaser saying "Street Fighter is coming to Smash Bros!  Who could it be?" and showed a picture of the entire SSF4 roster, then let people speculate for two months before announcing it was Ryu.  It'd be super weird for them to frame it as a big surprise only to lead into revealing the most obvious choice.
Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:43:48 pm by Person Man
#2008  March 28, 2020, 01:29:49 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Just let it be Spring Man. That way way I can hold out hope for other Assist Trophies getting promoted to playable *cough*Waluigi*cough*.
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

#2009  March 28, 2020, 02:10:04 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
On the other side of the coin, there is Dragon Quest Hero, which comes from a much smaller franchise than Mario, but condensed multiple characters into one, though I assume, due to him just being called "Hero" that they are nameless avatars for the player that don't have as much prestige as Link to have their own official names.

Not only is Dragon Quest as big a franchise as Mario (probably bigger), it actually has way more prestige than Zelda. This is something westerners can't really fathom, in Japan the franchise is not only the best selling game franchise of all, its games always come out on fridays so people won't skip work/school to play them. The heroes being nameless avatars or being condensed into a single character have nothing to do with prestige.
#2010  March 28, 2020, 03:58:41 pm
    • Brazil
On the other side of the coin, there is Dragon Quest Hero, which comes from a much smaller franchise than Mario, but condensed multiple characters into one, though I assume, due to him just being called "Hero" that they are nameless avatars for the player that don't have as much prestige as Link to have their own official names.

Not only is Dragon Quest as big a franchise as Mario (probably bigger), it actually has way more prestige than Zelda. This is something westerners can't really fathom, in Japan the franchise is not only the best selling game franchise of all, its games always come out on fridays so people won't skip work/school to play them. The heroes being nameless avatars or being condensed into a single character have nothing to do with prestige.
Dragon Quest never came even close to be as big as Mario. Mario is almost synonym with games that people who don't even play games will always know, Dragon Quest isn't even close to that, it is niche at best, get your facts right.
Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:09:07 pm by Macaulyn97
#2011  March 28, 2020, 04:34:51 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Not only is Dragon Quest as big a franchise as Mario (probably bigger)
There is not a single VG franchise that is bigger than Mario. The guy can compete with Mickey Mouse in popularity dammit.
#2012  March 29, 2020, 12:26:42 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
#2013  March 29, 2020, 01:00:18 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Who the fuck is Mickey Mouse?
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#2014  March 29, 2020, 01:19:36 am
    • USA
The star of the infamous horror title Epic Mickey, of course.
#2015  March 29, 2020, 01:49:06 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Dragon Quest isn't even close to that, it is niche at best, get your facts right.

Even if its not close to Mario, it is not niche at all. It is a bigger franchise than Final Fantasy, for example. You get your facts right.
#2016  March 29, 2020, 01:58:02 am
    • USA
Dragon Quest's massive popularity is entirely exclusive to Japan.  It has always struggled to reach even a fraction of the same level of interest or sales in any other market.  It's successful enough in general, sure, but it's not even remotely close to the international, medium-defining juggernaut you're portraying it as.
#2017  March 29, 2020, 04:29:19 am
    • Brazil
#2018  March 29, 2020, 05:33:37 am
    • USA
I can't say for residents in Japan for Dragon Quest, but I recall people were legit naming children Tifa and Sephiroth after FFVII during its time in the limelight just as people were with Harry Potter and Game of Thrones character names.  I likewise don't know the money brought in from a local base, as big as Japan still is, compared to one of the biggest RPG series on the globe, maybe it is that ingrained into people there to buy every copy of anything ever DQ related to reasonably match or something.

But just from global reception Dragon Quest is a blip on the map compared to Final Fantasy's recognition to the genre and video game progression as a whole.  By this point I don't think you're allowed to not know who Cloud Strife is, compared to...heck, the only named DQ characters I know are Dai and Erdrick.  Which is cool and all they made it into Smash (Shame it was just the male version, remember my second playthrough of DQ3 gender swapping the cast better than my initial playthrough, but still it's something) but doesn't exactly compare.
#2019  March 29, 2020, 06:59:47 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
I can't say for residents in Japan for Dragon Quest, but I recall people were legit naming children Tifa and Sephiroth after FFVII during its time in the limelight just as people were with Harry Potter and Game of Thrones character names.  I likewise don't know the money brought in from a local base, as big as Japan still is, compared to one of the biggest RPG series on the globe, maybe it is that ingrained into people there to buy every copy of anything ever DQ related to reasonably match or something.

But just from global reception Dragon Quest is a blip on the map compared to Final Fantasy's recognition to the genre and video game progression as a whole.  By this point I don't think you're allowed to not know who Cloud Strife is, compared to...heck, the only named DQ characters I know are Dai and Erdrick.  Which is cool and all they made it into Smash (Shame it was just the male version, remember my second playthrough of DQ3 gender swapping the cast better than my initial playthrough, but still it's something) but doesn't exactly compare.

Yes, in Japan DQ is a massive juggernaut, and it is indeed bigger than Final Fantasy, while in the rest of the world it just doesn't have the same popularity it enjoys in its home country. Its just like you said, its something ingrained in their culture, it is like trying to explain why El Chavo del Ocho is so massively popular in Latin America.
#2020  March 31, 2020, 03:56:12 am
    • USA
So after spending some time with ARMS thanks to that trial period Nintendo's giving everyone, I have to say I'm not sold on the idea of a Koopa Kids scenario anymore.  Sure you can mix and match loadouts to let some characters use other's attacks, but every character has enough unique mobility and defense options that they all play very differently.  Smooshing them all onto one reskinned moveset wouldn't feel right.  It'd be like if all the Street Fighter shotos were alts for Ryu.  It'd technically work in a very broad sense, but it wouldn't really be doing right by the characters or their fans.

Also I'm now Team Lola Pop for Smash don't @ me.