YesNoOk

Welcome To The Marvel Universe... Alien and Predator!!!?? (Read 9903 times)

Started by no1wammy, July 04, 2020, 06:31:09 am
Share this topic:
Welcome To The Marvel Universe... Alien and Predator!!!??
#1  July 04, 2020, 06:31:09 am
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
Yep, they're part of Marvel Comics now:

IGN - Alien vs. Predator vs. Iron Man? Marvel Comics Acquires Two Iconic Sci-Fi Franchises
Nerdist - Alien and Predator Franchises Coming To Marvel Comics

Jesse Schedeen said:
The Alien and Predator franchises have been a mainstay in the comic book industry for decades, and now they've both found a new home. IGN can exclusively reveal that Marvel Comics has acquired the rights to both Alien and Predator, paving the way for a new line of comics set in this cinematic sci-fi universe.

Spoiler: Official Marvel versions drawn by David Finch (click to see content)

So, this is gonna throw a wrench on the whole Marvel vs. Capcom series, hun?

At least Linn Kurosawa's eligible to be brought back now.
Re: Welcome To The Marvel Universe... Alien and Predator!!!??
#2  July 04, 2020, 06:39:50 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Slightly expecting Lt. Kurosawa or Major Schaefer for DLC for the next MVC game.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#3  July 04, 2020, 07:02:03 am
  • the Suicidal Bastard
  • "I want to see and understand the world outside."
    • Philippines
Ok, now it’s game over... Marvel will never be the same without Stan Lee...
#4  July 04, 2020, 07:14:06 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
So does this mean if Marvel and Capcom work together again they can rerelease the AvP arcade game

lui

#5  July 04, 2020, 07:15:09 am
    • USA
Fuck that give me a AvP FIGHTING GAME
#6  July 04, 2020, 07:16:45 am
    • Brazil
#7  July 04, 2020, 07:20:50 am
#8  July 04, 2020, 07:22:16 am
    • Mexico
MCU Alien vs Predator, probably a Disney+ show, MvC4/5 and MUA4 with Alien and Predator as DLC...

Those sound like ideas that could go down the rabbit hole easily.

Tho I think those artworks are probably just for crossovers and not a serious introduction to the main Marvel comics universe.
#9  July 04, 2020, 08:21:44 am
  • Indeed
#10  July 04, 2020, 09:08:30 am
    • Brazil
MCU Alien vs Predator, probably a Disney+ show, MvC4/5 and MUA4 with Alien and Predator as DLC...

Those sound like ideas that could go down the rabbit hole easily.

Tho I think those artworks are probably just for crossovers and not a serious introduction to the main Marvel comics universe.
Why would they be DLC?
#11  July 04, 2020, 09:17:11 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
This is most certainly the case.

Marvel has held numerous licenses and published a huge amount of tie-in comics to a whole bunch of shit: from GI Joe to Transformers (incidentally, almost all of the character names, backstories, and what not was invented by the creative teams of the Marvel comics for both of these franchises), to Godzilla, Star Trek, Star Wars, Shogun Warriors, Conan the Barbarian, several different Steven King books, and Rom the Space Knight; the list goes on and on and on. And 99% of the time, these properties remain fully separate from the Marvel universe, save for the occasional out-of-continuity crossover (like, say, Star Trek/X-Men, which seems to have been made entirely so they could make this joke).

I really feel the need to reemphasize this: this Alien and Predator announcement is all extremely standard stuff. Marvel just has the rights to make comics based on the Aliens and Predator franchises, and Marvel will not be integrating either of them into their comic universe. That's it, nothing else.

I can't quite say that the latter has never happened before and that it'll never happen again, but those have been rare and unusual circumstances: back in the 70s, when Marvel was massively expanding and gaining more and more publishing power, they started acquiring a whole bunch of licenses to publish comics based on several different properties, and by and large, they all got integrated into the Marvel universe. Conan the Barbarian, Rom the Space Knight, and Godzilla (yes, Godzilla, seriously) all officially exist in the Marvel universe, even though Marvel can't actually reference them anymore (well, they can with Conan again, cuz Marvel got the license back a few years ago, but regardless). By the mid 80s, however, this no longer was the default strategy for their licensed material: those books got placed into their own separate continuity, saving everyone from running into problems later on when said licenses expired. And that has remained the way they operated  for their licensed books ever since.

That of course does not mean they won''t put out any crossovers, it just means those crossovers will be strictly out-of-continuity. The Aliens and Predator comics do that shit all the time: Superman fought Aliens, Archie and the Riverdale gang fought Predators, there's so, so much more. And Marvel is sure to follow suit!
#12  July 05, 2020, 01:36:46 am
    • Germany
I can't quite say that the latter has never happened before and that it'll never happen again, but those have been rare and unusual circumstances: back in the 70s, when Marvel was massively expanding and gaining more and more publishing power, they started acquiring a whole bunch of licenses to publish comics based on several different properties, and by and large, they all got integrated into the Marvel universe. Conan the Barbarian, Rom the Space Knight, and Godzilla (yes, Godzilla, seriously) all officially exist in the Marvel universe, even though Marvel can't actually reference them anymore (well, they can with Conan again, cuz Marvel got the license back a few years ago, but regardless). By the mid 80s, however, this no longer was the default strategy for their licensed material: those books got placed into their own separate continuity, saving everyone from running into problems later on when said licenses expired. And that has remained the way they operated  for their licensed books ever since.

In the case of Godzilla they Mutated him and Renamed him so they could keep him if I remember it right, but not sure if they still using him.
#13  July 05, 2020, 06:57:36 am
    • USA
Yeah, pretty much, though the mutated design eventually returned to something resembling the original version, and they just avoid mentioning the name directly. Even with all that, Marvel Godzilla hasn't made more than a handful of appearances since the Marvel Godzilla comic ended.
#14  July 05, 2020, 07:05:42 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Yeah, pretty much, though the mutated design eventually returned to something resembling the original version, and they just avoid mentioning the name directly. Even with all that, Marvel Godzilla hasn't made more than a handful of appearances since the Marvel Godzilla comic ended.

That's sad. They didn't even consider Godzilla in that one shot Attack On Titan crossover they had.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#15  July 05, 2020, 07:41:47 am
    • USA
I mean, it's all extremely dicey territory for Marvel, with no real upsides. They've just done the occasional reference now and then; if they tried bringing their version of Godzilla full on, they'd get sued.
#16  July 05, 2020, 03:55:46 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Well, considering they changed him up from the traditional Godzilla already, and the whole situation is already an odd one, they should just rebrand their version and call him Oddzilla.

I'll let myself out.
#17  July 05, 2020, 09:10:57 pm
    • USA
They've already got a good pun Godzilla: Corporal Todd Ziller, transformed by the military (via them injecting into him every mutagenic formula they could get their hands on, from Mutant Growth Hormone to Gamma radiation to Pym particles to the Lizard's formula, in an attempt at recreating Captain America's super-soldier serum) into... THE AMERICAN KAIJU

#18  July 05, 2020, 09:36:24 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
And only learning of that fact a day too late to capitalize on it.  Darn.
#19  July 05, 2020, 10:25:02 pm
  • Dcat brought me back to Mugen!
    • USA
    • www.flickr.com/photos/22047800@N07/
They've already got a good pun Godzilla: Corporal Todd Ziller, transformed by the military (via them injecting into him every mutagenic formula they could get their hands on, from Mutant Growth Hormone to Gamma radiation to Pym particles to the Lizard's formula, in an attempt at recreating Captain America's super-soldier serum) into... THE AMERICAN KAIJU

Haha what in the world?!?
#20  September 02, 2020, 09:33:40 pm
    • Germany