YesNoOk

Peskybee's sprite topic (Read 6230 times)

Started by peskybee, August 10, 2020, 09:33:07 pm
Peskybee's sprite topic
New #1  August 10, 2020, 09:33:07 pm
    • USA
blah

MODERATOR NOTE: changed title of topic.
Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:35:26 pm by AlexSin
Re: Peskybee's Spriting Fails
#2  August 11, 2020, 02:05:31 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

Well, the first problem is that you're sprite conveys no form or depth; it feels like a cardboard cut-out. Considering that you are trying to convey a 3D object (the human form) in a 2D static plane, this becomes pretty problematic pretty quickly. It's also aggrevated by the fact that the lighting is all over the place; it comes from the left on her torso, top-left on the right (viewer) arm, top center on her crown and hair, etc.

One very important aspect of light is that it travels in one direction in a straight line[/b]. The first thing you should figure out is where the light is coming from (the light source); in the case of the KOF XIII style, it comes from the top-right.

To illustrate the point further, I briefly did this:

Look at her head for this example; the light comes from one direction. The rest of it is pretty rough (I can't really do the entire thing bc reasons), but see how the form is properly conveyed when you keep the light to one direction (pun not intended)? Of course, there are still some things I can improve in my own rendition if I go further with it, but even at a rough point, the idea and forms give a good idea of how a KOF XIII-styled end product could look. (For the face, I referenced Kula Diamond and Yuri Sakazaki).

Other issues in your rendition include perspective and anatomy problems (i.e. she's missing her trapezius muscles, arms being a bit too big for her stature, etc.). Problems like that can be solved w/ reference usage and drawing practice. For the latter, you don't need to go too crazy with it, just enough to understand how things work. It reaps dividends when you want to animate and create pixel art from scratch.

This is a generic forum signature.
#3  August 11, 2020, 09:35:35 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Why do you say "spriting fails"? The only mistake(IMHO) is to start with one of the hardest styles ever, the XII style.

I'd suggest you to start with sonething smaller and once you get more confident with spriting, jump in the XII wagon.

I swear there was something cool here!!
#4  August 12, 2020, 12:49:01 am
Everyone fails, that's part of the learning process. That is also why the artists that you like are good at their craft.

I agree with Felo, starting with KoFXIII style is not advisable since you would need to understand proper colour usage, shading and whatnot inherent to the style and the character/s. So yes, starting small is a good suggestion.
I don't know what to suggest you, though I can assure you the style you're showing are more difficult to nail than what you think.
#5  August 12, 2020, 02:31:43 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Basically they're talking about other styles, like the older KOF games (94 ~ 2000) since you're into it. Try converting an existing character from Capcom to KOF, for example. I think that's a good start.

Edit: also, gotta say, the art itself is good, is something you already have and will benefit you, you just need to get better at converting the art into a sprite.
Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:49:25 am by DeathScythe
#6  August 12, 2020, 10:29:28 am
Never save sprites in jpeg format.
Always have references for what you're doing, near the sprite you're editing.
Adjust proportions of the sprites you want to edit, don't just change colours and shading.
Keep a consistent light source.
Understand the concepts of shapes and light/shadows.
You might want to refresh your anatomy knowledge too.
Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 10:32:46 am by AlexSin
#7  August 12, 2020, 09:56:11 pm
    • USA
ok thanks I guess.
Re: delete
#8  August 12, 2020, 11:00:59 pm
ok thanks I guess.

Why are you deleting your posts?!?
I gave you good advice on what you should do to improve your art and stuff. Instead you act like this, deleting everything and being upset.

I don't know, what did I have to tell you?
#9  August 13, 2020, 12:01:43 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Peskybee, I feel like you're being too negative on yourself.
Spriting is not easy and takes time to get good. Even for talented people here, they started where you are now, you'll only get good practicing what you learn, and learning includes taking feedback from more experienced people. Don't give up and don't delete your posts like this, just keep practicing.

My advice: you need to practice more shading, know how to apply light and shadows, that's a very basic thing that every artist should know, and this is not only for sprites but for art in general. It makes a huge difference once you learn it properly.
#10  August 19, 2020, 09:59:44 pm
    • USA
I'm sorry you guys, I wish I could make better art at a faster pace and not waste everyone's time. I appreciate all the help but it feels like everything and I do mean everything is wrong with my art but I do wish you guys could at least let me know if I'm doing okay/in the right direction or getting better its really discouraging for me just being told all the negatives in my art. I know that's one of the best ways to learn and improve is with critique.
I've been studying pixel art/spriting but I just keep losing patience with myself once I actually try to draw something. I want to make myself proud but idk.

I guess... I'm just really overwhelmed my Nephew had to go to the hospital and he's not even a year old yet and a lot of other personal things I'd rather not share. I'm a hot mess atm and all I want to do is make some characters for the community but all I end up doing is doubting myself, sorry if this became like a therapy session lol...
#11  August 19, 2020, 10:16:25 pm
  • I try to do palettes.
    • Venezuela
Stop being so harsh on yourself, that's the first thing you need to do to get better.

When you're drawing something and you feel like it's not good enough, don't feel angry, that's the natural process of learning. When you start learning something, anything, you will suck. That's just how it is. It's through passion and hard work that you will succeed.

Keep posting your work, even if you hate it. There's a lot of amazing artists here that will help you, like hatter, FeLo_Llop, AlexSin and DeathScythe have been doing.

I hope nothing too bad happened to your nephew and he or she gets well soon.
#12  August 19, 2020, 10:35:49 pm
    • USA
Thank you, normally I would just say I can't do it and runaway with my head in between my legs but I really am passionate about this. I don't know why but something about seeing peoples art be turned into a character is like magic to me. And it makes me want to turn all the characters I love into fighters like azula from avatar last airbender, The hex girls from scooby-doo lol or bloody roar characters I have so many random ideas of stuff i loved growing up watching/playing.
It would be really helpful tho do you think I should keep trying to make sprites like kof and Mvc? or start smaller and do like some pocket style sprites? I just want to improve asap and not waste anymore of my life's time!

And thank you my nephew is doing better now but they still have to make sure everything's okay with him. Tho It's scary how the world is turning these days.

#13  August 19, 2020, 11:03:12 pm
  • I try to do palettes.
    • Venezuela
Like they said, since you're into the KOF style, start with the older games. If you feel like you need to start smaller, do so. Maybe with something like Pocket Fighter.

I can only repeat what Alex and DeathScythe said, really, there's no better advice but to start with basic knowledge. Shading, lighting, proportions and whatnot. You have the talent, you just have to polish it. But don't try to either rush the learning process or try to force yourself into getting good, that's not going to help you.

Also I'm glad that your nephew is better. I know it's scary, I pray that everything will be alright.
#14  August 19, 2020, 11:15:48 pm
    • USA
Thanks again, it means a lot when people take time our of their day to help me like this. I promise that no matter what I will not give up I might have up's and down's but I gotta do this. Instead of just waiting around expecting someone else to fix my mistakes, that's my job haha I realize that now!

I will do the same for you and everyone on here during these times we need all the light and love we can get. <3
#15  August 20, 2020, 12:07:38 am
  • I try to do palettes.
    • Venezuela
My pleasure, I'm glad I was able to help you. That's the attitude!
Re: Pesky's Spriting Works
#16  August 20, 2020, 01:32:32 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I know how you feel m8. Trust yourself and the process, all good things take long times, it's easy to get caught up and forget that (hell, I feel like that too a lot of times).

You don't have to go full hardcore w/ your practicing of drawing fundamentals, try to moderate your practice and fun pixel time and at least ingrain the most important aspects of them (i.e. light always comes from one direction, stuff like that).

You'll save yourself a lot of agony and disappointment w/ moderation. : )

This is a generic forum signature.
Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:48:09 am by hatter
#17  August 20, 2020, 05:06:27 am
    • USA
It's good to know I'm not alone :) especially when it comes from someone like you! I love your style and how legit your sprites end up looking haha :D (Sorry if i sound like some fanboi or somethin lmao) and you are right I have to learn a good mix between fun and learning I feel you haha!

:) Also I finally did something decent without tracing lol think im getting a little better with the anatomy like her eyes were super far apart and i fixed that and it took me forever to get the calves and forearms looking "ok" lmao also I could have shaded some more n cleaned stuff up but oh wells haha here you guys go! :)

Pocket Phoenix!

#18  August 20, 2020, 09:18:20 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
That's a nice restart. For the pocket style you got a few things right. Usually pocket style fighters have big head like you did and the overall size looks good. Would be even better if you compare with existing pocket sprites.
Now for things I think you need some improvement, the most noticiable is the finishing touches. One thing I noticed is that you're not using anti-alias to make the shades or even the lines smoother. Also you can use a few more colors, you're using 1 color for the lines, 1 for the shadows, and 1 for the lights, you can use more to make a transition from light to dark, or to make lines lighter where the light is strong. May be hard to understand without examples and I'd show you a few, but I can't right now... I can however link you to this:
https://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/
I learned a lot from here, it's Kiwi's tutorials. They show how to use anti-alias and how you can speedup your drawing proccess. Give it a try!