YesNoOk

cartoon characters legitimacy (Read 36967 times)

Started by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE, February 08, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: cartoon characters legitimacy
#61  February 10, 2021, 07:26:05 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I don't see how that fits in with what they said because Shim falls under neither category.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#62  February 11, 2021, 06:28:46 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
#63  February 11, 2021, 10:46:51 pm
    • USA
The notable decrease in western obscure mugen is simply because the creators are working at a slower rate (the none) or retired (Jango, melvana, etc.)

Indeed so. In addition; DxWho's work really succumbed to Seasonal Rot and eventually Jumped the Shark when he started concentrating in bulking out the roster for a fullgame, while at least The Magic Toaster is still at it. Joey Faust, not to mention his even worse copycats, are another thing; as they just plop sets of sprites usually from TSR into a limited, glitchy template with mismatched sounds and call it a day, giving them more of a poor reputation similar to Western Animation characters. And people aren't really chomping at the bit to make better versions of them yet.

this just tells me i need to make a cartoon character and shatter all expectations.

What about your Aladdin? He's an animated film character. And there was also the Simba meant for HITMOVIES, remember that?
#64  February 12, 2021, 08:17:41 pm
  • For honor!
The thing is a cartoon character could certainly be legit if designed by one that is well versed in fighting game design, yet when someone decides to make a cartoon character for MUGEN it is almost always going to be a novelty character and understandably so. Nothing wrong with that, really.
Iroha stripped for me
#65  February 13, 2021, 06:51:44 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I found this theme interesting, but all the BXR bullshit (his posts, your responses to him, etc) makes me lost of what this thread is about. If you delete all that shit, this thread barely would get a page 2. So, I quote OP to get the main idea...

i ask this question often, but never asked it here.

i always thought the point of mugen was the "fantasy" aspect of it all. but when i see peoples rosters...its usually the same SF,KOF,DBZ...sometimes different variations of the same character.

i feel like if it isnt RYU, its often overlooked. and that sucks because there is alot of creative creators out here that makes balanced characters.
Why is that?
I found cartoon characters interesting and a good portion of fresh to MUGEN and the excess of FG adaptations with something more original, but what makes me (and probably many more as me) go away from them are their creators. For many years (since the 2000s) most of cartoon adaptations were made mediocrely by the same small group of creators (I won't mention any to not get bad responses later) who monopolized that area with bad/boring/overpowered/MVC-like characters that only scared people to download them

It wasn't until the 2010s with new and creative creators (as the OP) and some known names in MUGEN picked up cartoon chars to make them good and fun (AND playable), but the damage was done and the opinion isn't changed much until today. More than that, even some creators persist to make bad stuff just because "more cartoon chars are needed in MUGEN" and "I'll be the first one to make a MUGEN version of this char, no matter if this is shit"

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X