YesNoOk

Mr. Satan Z2 Updated by Jango (UPDATE: 04/30/17) (Read 25251 times)

Started by Jango, April 10, 2017, 10:31:59 pm
Share this topic:
Mr. Satan Z2 Updated by Jango (UPDATE: 04/30/17)
New #1  April 10, 2017, 10:31:59 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Yup! Not a joke this time! I wasn't kidding about joining the Z2 Team after all!

Mr. Satan was a lot of fun to work on, so if you're interested in the behind-the-scenes, check out my post on making this dude. Otherwise, I hope you're ready to become THE WORLD CHAMPION!

I'm having some problems uploading the recent version to Guild's servers because of all the activity following the new HDBZ build's release, so until things quiet down, I have a Sendspace link for those of you who just want Mr. Satan alone (he also has some bug fixes that will be incorporated into a future patch file).NEVER MIND!

Thanks, and have fun!

http://network.mugenguild.com/jango/chars/SatanZ2.zip <-- Updated 04/30/17
http://network.mugenguild.com/jango/chars/SatanZ2-Patch.zip <-- Updated 04/30/17
Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:25:44 am by Jango
Re: Mr. Satan Z2 Updated... by Jango???
#2  April 10, 2017, 10:34:35 pm
All my congratulations, he is really fun to play, I need some work to find out new stuff combos.
Can you confirm me that there is no way to connect 2 bomb on the ground together (except with the throw)

Thx ! Good surprise, he remembered me the Joker in Injustice. ;)
#3  April 10, 2017, 10:48:46 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Yeah, it shouldn't be able to. That or I am really terrible at combos!

And I'm glad you liked him :) It was a crazy 1 1/2 years, but I think this is the proudest I've been of something I made.
#4  April 10, 2017, 10:57:43 pm
    • Canada
The responses have been phenomenal so far. You should be really proud! :)
New #5  April 10, 2017, 11:14:13 pm
  • Hate is just confused admiration.
    • USA
Jango, you did a awesome job. Really captures the essence of the character. On top of that he is really fun to play as.
It's all the same in the end, matter and motion, simple or complex. No difference, finally. Death, transfiguration. Ashes to ashes and slime to slime, amen.

Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:10:51 am by TheHateThatHateMade
#6  April 10, 2017, 11:30:13 pm
  • OOHWEE
    • Chile
    • http://nicotinefist1805.deviantart.com/
Awesome! in the past two days I've been having a blast trying out this char, you did a great job buddy :)
#7  April 11, 2017, 12:16:38 am
    • Argentina
I must say Satan is a boring character on DB but you and Balthazar did a great job to make him become interesting! I really love playing as him! Great job, guys! Jango, like Barker said, you should be really proud!
#8  April 11, 2017, 12:22:41 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Thank you so much Jango! I had so much fun with Mr Satan.

Have some aesthetic feedback, more will come later. All tested in MUGEN 1.0 (standard 640x480 definition).

- Capsule Surprise cancel is not in the readme
 - Capsule Surprise cancel would benefit from a voice/laughter/grunt from Mr. Satan
 - Mr Satan quote while performing the Wonderful Multi-Punches is too quiet
 - Champion Mode taunt with the Multi-Kicks would benefit from the corresponding whoosh sounds of his Wonderful Multi-Kicks special
 - Hype crowd does not fill the whole lower part of the ground
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

- Hype crowd should stay in place on the ground and not follow Mr. Satan upwards... Looks strange when Mr. Satan is very high on high-jump stages
 - since the unique finisher of the "Present For You" depends on the hype of the Champion Mode the crowd should be (either per animation or sound) part of the finishers

Again, thanks a lot Jango!  :thumbsup:
#9  April 11, 2017, 02:43:38 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Thank you so much Jango! I had so much fun with Mr Satan.

Have some aesthetic feedback, more will come later. All tested in MUGEN 1.0 (standard 640x480 definition).

- Capsule Surprise cancel is not in the readme
 - Capsule Surprise cancel would benefit from a voice/laughter/grunt from Mr. Satan
 - Mr Satan quote while performing the Wonderful Multi-Punches is too quiet
 - Champion Mode taunt with the Multi-Kicks would benefit from the corresponding whoosh sounds of his Wonderful Multi-Kicks special
 - Hype crowd does not fill the whole lower part of the ground

- Hype crowd should stay in place on the ground and not follow Mr. Satan upwards... Looks strange when Mr. Satan is very high on high-jump stages
 - since the unique finisher of the "Present For You" depends on the hype of the Champion Mode the crowd should be (either per animation or sound) part of the finishers

Again, thanks a lot Jango!  :thumbsup:
  • The cancelling wasn't in the readme originally because when it was first introduced, it was me accidentally making a bug when I was trying to make it easier to chain into it from basics, so it was actually an instance of a bug that turned into a feature, although we developed around it later.
     I'll talk to the man making the readme and see if I can get him to do a bit of that.
  • That might be a good idea. At first I figured just a white PalFX was good enough, but I can see how it might be good to have an audio cue as well.
  • Heh, I knew I missed boosting one of the voices. I'll see if I can do it with code, because I really don't want to reupload the SND for the upcoming patch for Champ's Build.
  • That's a good idea, will consider.
  • Oh, that only triggers if you're doing a Satan mirror match. I wanted to have two distinct crowds in this case to measure their hype. I tried other methods (ie: coloring the two crowds differently and making one go higher), but they turned out pretty badly and I went with this.
  • It does look kinda weird, but it was one of those things where I figured that I didn't want his "emo bar" to not be visible if he leaves the ground, so I coded it like that. If you have suggestions, though, I'm all for it.
  • That would be kinda cool, although I also wanted to keep the spriters' workload down for drawing crowd members. Plus I don't relish the thought of the crowd perishing in the explosion of his Lv. 3 :( Still I'll talk it over with them.

Thanks for the feedback!
The responses have been phenomenal so far. You should be really proud! :)
My favorite was watching chat in Max's stream. So great. I was basically grinning whenever they would do a character select and someone would be like "PICK SATAN!"

Jango, you did a awesome job. Rally captures the essence of the character. On top of that he is really fun to play as.
Thanks! It was one of our goals in development to make Mr. Satan have humorous aesthetics, but that the player shouldn't feel like they're playing with a watered-down joke character. So to hear we did both is awesome news to me!

Awesome! in the past two days I've been having a blast trying out this char, you did a great job buddy :)
Thanks! You're doing great on your end too! ;)

I must say Satan is a boring character on DB but you and Balthazar did a great job to make him become interesting! I really love playing as him! Great job, guys! Jango, like Barker said, you should be really proud!
Satan is boring?! Why I oughta...

Just kidding, glad you enjoyed him! Reminds me a bit of when I showed the game around to some of my IRL friends when Satan was still in development. While they initially just viewed DB as "that show with the constipated dudes grunting at each other," seeing HDBZ in action made them actually get interested in the series! I mean, I know that this game's focus is on the fandom, but just knowing that it's getting other people introduced to the series is mind-blowing to me.
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:48:06 am by Jango
#10  April 11, 2017, 03:31:31 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
This was the Satan all of the HDBZ fans, myself included, wanted so badly to be . . . and strangely enough, I kinda wanted to do something like this as well, but my coding AND spriting skills are crud currently, so I'm glad someone was able to give this joke character some actual fighting skills, like the Champ should have had to begin with ^..^ but I still have a soft spot for the original joke version, so he's still in the Char folder as OG_SatanZ2.
#11  April 11, 2017, 03:43:02 am
"Update" is selling him a little short, isn't it? I was wondering why it was the Champ's Build - I certainly didn't expect Mr. Satan to be the start of the show.

Maybe I'm wrong - this is mostly a first impression - but I feel like Mr. Satan's strength is a little lopsided. He's more effective than you'd think which is nice, but it feels like his Raging Demon is so critical to dealing damage that he might become a little one-note and predictable.
#12  April 11, 2017, 03:54:12 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
This was the Satan all of the HDBZ fans, myself included, wanted so badly to be . . . and strangely enough, I kinda wanted to do something like this as well, but my coding AND spriting skills are crud currently, so I'm glad someone was able to give this joke character some actual fighting skills, like the Champ should have had to begin with ^..^ but I still have a soft spot for the original joke version, so he's still in the Char folder as OG_SatanZ2.
Old Satan still has a place in our hearts (the current Mr. Satan's internal name is "Shin Satan Z2" so that he's distinguishable from the old one). I was gonna code in some interaction for the new Satan if he fought the old one, but I didn't get the idea until near the end of development when we were trying to get everything out on time, so that's something that's currently not implemented.

Glad you enjoy the new Satan!

"Update" is selling him a little short, isn't it? I was wondering why it was the Champ's Build - I certainly didn't expect Mr. Satan to be the start of the show.

Maybe I'm wrong - this is mostly a first impression - but I feel like Mr. Satan's strength is a little lopsided. He's more effective than you'd think which is nice, but it feels like his Raging Demon is so critical to dealing damage that he might become a little one-note and predictable.
I'll let the other team members discuss it if they like, but me personally, it's a mixture of the fact that Mr. Satan was already in the game (it would look weird to say "NEW CHARACTER! MR. SATAN"), and just paying respect to Old Satan's coder Cybaster, without whom this game or team wouldn't be around.

As far as being reliant on Present For You, you do have a valid point (I was just talking to some of the team about nerfing damage), and while I don't think he's super reliant on the move, there could probably be some rebalancing to encourage other moves to be used.
#13  April 11, 2017, 04:04:10 am
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
Props to you and the growing Z2 team for turning a fodder character into a really viable char! Really fun to use too! It was the first thing I noticed after the update: "wait a sec, I'm sure he looks different!"
#14  April 11, 2017, 09:13:21 am
Yeah, it shouldn't be able to. That or I am really terrible at combos!
it's really fun, and the bomb on the ground are a wonderfull way to set up trap, I like it !
Ok for the bomb, I was trying to find a way to connect 2 bomb in a combo.

And I'm glad you liked him :) It was a crazy 1 1/2 years, but I think this is the proudest I've been of something I made.
Yes you can be proud, he is really fun to play, I spend lot of time on him to see all the possibilities he has.
Good creativity, this char has a gameplay which is not easy to create.
#15  April 11, 2017, 11:37:35 am
  • Passing Through
When certain characters are hit by the punch super, weird stuff happens
(notably POTS Ryu, and Ansatsuken's edit of him)

#16  April 11, 2017, 01:32:29 pm
    • Germany
Oh I forgot to mention the Power Charge in my feedback...

- Power Charge of Mr Satan is a bit silent... Maybe he could grunt & growl more.
 - At the end of his power charge and his skin turning red from physical strain I would suggest that his skin slowly turns back to normal. The way it is now is IMO too abrupt .
#17  April 11, 2017, 03:08:05 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Do we get a palette template?!!!
#18  April 11, 2017, 05:34:56 pm
    • Germany
When certain characters are hit by the punch super, weird stuff happens
(notably POTS Ryu, and Ansatsuken's edit of him)

If the Megaton Punch works correctly with p2, the text bubble is misaligned.

#19  April 11, 2017, 05:43:16 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Yikes! I guess I never noticed PotS style uses that anim. I was going to try introduce a new animations standard but it looks like a lot of people already use it for FX, so I guess I'll just use the time over animation maybe???

Also yeah, I'm not exactly sure what's going on with that balloon but I'll check it out.

Oh I forgot to mention the Power Charge in my feedback...

- Power Charge of Mr Satan is a bit silent... Maybe he could grunt & growl more.
 - At the end of his power charge and his skin turning red from physical strain I would suggest that his skin slowly turns back to normal. The way it is now is IMO too abrupt .
I could probably whip something up with the "getting out of power charge" animation although I'd have to update the .SFF for that.

Finally, I'll put out the palette template in a bit as well as a call for palettes, so be ready!
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:06:26 pm by Jango
#20  April 11, 2017, 09:48:58 pm
  • Mugen lover
    • France
    • danzey-legendary-tournament.blogspot.fr/
PLEASE, don't miss to add A.I . It 's important too. good work !
Danzey legendary tournament check my channel!