YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat 11 : PS4/PC/XBoxOne/Switch (April 23 2019) (Read 248240 times)

Started by GTOAkira, December 07, 2018, 05:29:54 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat 11 : PS4/PC/XBoxOne/Switch (April 23 2019)
#561  April 10, 2020, 06:51:51 am
    • Brazil
Honestly, I never saw guests "fitting" as something necessary. Do I prefer someone like Geralt of Rivia or Ezio Auditore in Soul Calibur over Darth Vader and 2B? Absolutely, but as much as I care about a fighting game's story and setting (which is more than can be said about a lot of people, who dismiss it as "irrelevant"), no "unfitting" character ever broke my immersion by existing within the game, specifically because those characters rarely are canon, hell, the only guest character who I think is legitimately canon in a fighting game is Akuma in Tekken 7 (and he is kinda like an alternative reality version of the original), even those who have story modes, like Geralt in Soul Calibur 6, aren't canon, they feel more like something in the outside, a what-if, an add-on.

I actually WOULD be upset if they tried to mix up some of those characters in the actual canon, like adding an actual Terminator in the canon story of Mortal Kombat would absolutely piss me off. I don't know the details about Akuma being added to Tekken, except for the fact that its like an alternative reality thing, which, depending on how its done, could work well for Akuma, or hell, even a cross between Soul Calibur and Tekken (which is technically already a thing, since the Yoshimitsus from Soul Calibur are, canonically, predecessors of the ones from Tekken, which makes me wonder how all those crazy powers from the former game just don't show up in the latter's timeline). Even Street Fighter managed to attach itself to Final Fight, Rival Schools, most recently Strider and I believe even Captain Commando and Street Fighter 2010 are included, so its not like we haven't seen weird canon stuff, but even then, there are some limits.

lui

#562  April 11, 2020, 06:11:49 pm
    • USA
I can jump in on the 2B bit, having just literally gone from 0 to 100% of it in a week.  Its take on fanservice in her actual game is less for the sake of it just existing because anime and more your typical cyberpunk fare of discussing sexuality through artificial bodies.  They're androids, they're sexless.  A large part of the story of it is each side of the war between human-made androids and alien-made robots left to their own devices discovering their own humanity and what souls and love really are, etc..  Not particularly spoiler-ish, I suppose, but for all the lead-in focus on 2B's leotard and split dress, it is literally never a focus point at all in the game how one looks, at most there's a plot point related to the alien robots running down human emotions and trying to hack them onto one of the main characters and you get this message.  Which is then rejected.  Rather its inferred that humans left androids as essentially dress-up dolls.  One of the three main protagonists, A2, is literally all but stark naked the entire game, wearing just a torn corset that can get damaged off her anyways so she is just bare naked, and they're just Barbie dolls.  Or adult body Astro Boy would be more accurate.  It's like a M-rated Toy Story.

Now, SCVI's use of it is much more surface-level, it's there to be sexy and entice people who haven't played the game because sex sells.

If anything, every other character either has a lore explanation or fits the time frame of Soul Calibur.  That's where 2B fails.  As fantastical as Automata is....it's also in the year 11000-something without time travel and the magic of Drakengard/Nier being long dead and gone.  She's just in the game just 'cuz, and that bugs me the most.  Though I suppose now knowing the context of the character using her as just a "sex sells" standpoint is mildly irritating at missing the point.

wow. this is reaching.

the main reason for her being in is pretty much "hey people are asking for this, its cool, can we make it happen?".

its always that reason for guest characters in fighting games. that whole explanation about sex seling sounds super theory conspiracist dude.
#563  April 11, 2020, 08:58:57 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
Why are we talking about Soul Calibur and 2B in a Mortal Kombat thread?

#564  April 11, 2020, 09:21:27 pm
    • Brazil
I guess it was pulled from the guest discussion.
#565  April 12, 2020, 10:10:37 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Fan service. SC VI parleyed their fan service as part of the package and 2B is, let's be honest here, a bit catered towards the fan service (Granted, I haven't played Nier Automata yet, so that can easily change if and when I get a crack at it). It worked out.
That's why.  Just started the game for the first time and finished it not too long ago so figured I'd chime in while it's fresh on the mind.

Not sure why the common marketing tactic of knowing sex sells used generally everywhere in a game with lead females Medieval Dominatrix and Skin-tight Ninja combined with its character creator and DoA-levels of jiggle physics are prominent in the game is reaching?  Wasn't one of SCIV's advertising campaigns just Ivy's boobs are now in HD?  I'm sure there were some wanting for the character to show just for the sake of playing as the character, and yeah, I'd say it's pretty cool her being there now that I'm familiar with the character being, well, pretty cool on her own, but I'm also pretty sure there's a reason why they gave her the revealing nightgown outfit easter egg already from a different character from a different Nier game instead of her other outfit from Automata.

But yeah, sorry for the derail then, back to MK.
#566  May 05, 2020, 04:06:56 pm
    • Argentina
:o
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#567  May 05, 2020, 04:42:47 pm
    • Brazil
A story mode expansion?
#568  May 05, 2020, 06:28:22 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
As DLC... ¬¬
#569  May 05, 2020, 07:24:24 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
whoa the story continues after the ending with raiden
#570  May 05, 2020, 08:55:42 pm
    • Brazil
I wonder where will that go, because I hoped that the current endings would simply lead to a new timeline with a better story. I mean, I'm not excited after what they did to Sindel, but I'm certainly curious.
#571  May 06, 2020, 03:51:57 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath – Official Reveal Trailer
#572  May 06, 2020, 04:22:56 pm
    • Brazil
So this is where the long leaked Fujin and Sheeva show up. And the trailer hints at Sindel not being a bitch, but let's wait until it comes out.
#573  May 06, 2020, 06:24:14 pm
    • Brazil

Cutscene.
#574  May 06, 2020, 11:27:28 pm
  • Palette Maker + 1.1 Stage Conversion Maestro
    • USA
    • xtremeregime.weebly.com
Hid this due to it being a spoiler for the trailer:
#575  May 07, 2020, 12:34:28 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
the cost to get the aftermath dlc is the same price as a pokemon trading card game expansion elite trainer box: 39.99
#576  May 07, 2020, 01:38:32 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
That's an oddly specific comparison.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#577  May 07, 2020, 01:42:54 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I swear there was something cool here!!
Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:41:31 am by FeLo_Llop
#578  May 07, 2020, 02:05:04 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
#579  May 07, 2020, 03:20:19 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
I'm satisfied that Fujin finally back and get the attention that he deserves.
#580  May 08, 2020, 07:11:27 am
    • Brazil
Also, he is hot.