YesNoOk

Mike (CVS/POTS) (Read 13193 times)

Started by Rabano, September 23, 2022, 08:01:30 pm
Share this topic:
Mike (CVS/POTS)
#1  September 23, 2022, 08:01:30 pm
    • Argentina
Hi, its me, some days ago I started to remake Chuchoryu's Mike char, redoing all the sprites and making new ones.

And now this is the result, a CVS/POTS of this new Mike, with four special moves, 3 Super moves and one Hyper Move.

Im proud of how it turned out, but I want some feedback if you play with it, I want to improve in mugen, so all the critique is good for me.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y8oyenppj0m6h6h/Mike.rar/file
Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 02:01:39 pm by Rabano
Re: Mike (CVS/POTS)
#2  September 23, 2022, 08:03:36 pm
    • Argentina
Btw all of his sprites are his own, I said that because as you can tell I used Cody's pants instead of Dudley's pant he has before. the second screenshot was take in the survival mode agains Cody.
#3  September 23, 2022, 09:23:33 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
Good Job, Brother!
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#4  September 23, 2022, 09:48:10 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Nice to see you already completed this first version of your edit.

I leave the coding/gameplay feedback to the ones who handle it well, and have better english than me.
There is A LOT to say...

Some strange things like some of his jump light punch should not have a so big range.
When his special move multi punches could have a better range.

About visual/graphic stuff.
I like the palette
Many sprites are decent/good.
Some sprites are not that good.

The animations are the biggest visual problem.
Few are ok, some are really too "simple"
sometimes a lack of frames, or transition sprites.
Main problem : "only 1 limb moving" -> You should always avoid moving just a limb or part of it, when the body is static.
Even in a light punch / jab animation, usually the body still moves, in fighting games.
Nor so easy to fix, but the result changes a lot.

His haircut makes me more think of "TJ Combo" than Mike. (but it's just my own point of view)

He really looks like too much like a Cody (pants shape, way to move, to attack to taunt etc.)
Actually if you forget it is Mike, it's OK. He looks like a "lazy boxer" or something. (just like Cody is lazy)
#5  September 23, 2022, 10:39:51 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Well, hmm...
Nice to see the character in a playable state, and if it's your first character, it's actually pretty impressive. There are some problems, however.

First, the character wouldn't work in Mugen 1.0 because the sprites were optimized for 1.1. It worked fine after converting the sprites to 1.0, so no big deal.
He has some weird hurtboxes, like during his charge animation.
His d,b+P attack seems to be completely save on block and can stunlock opponents.
Pressing f/b+2K does nothing. Even if it doesn't start a grab, I'd still expect a normal attack to come out.
Some of the spritework could also need a bit of work. Most of it looks pretty good, but there are some weird ones (like the hands in your second screenshot).
A readme would be nice.

Those are just some of my initial impressions.
#6  September 23, 2022, 11:10:16 pm
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org
I feel like some of this may have been nullified by what other people found but I'm still going to post it anyway because there's still some stuff that needs to be addressed.

I don't wanna be really harsh on this but it feels kinda rushed. Not only are the sprites stiff and inconsistent as Momotaro pointed out, but he feels really sloppy to play as and it feels like it may have been an afterthought. The base is also pretty dated as well. It feels like it may have been based on an older version of DivineWolf's KFM, and I don't feel that's as good of a base for PotS-style creations as something like, say, Jmorphman's King or Benimaru, which usually have more up-to-date systems.
Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:15:49 pm by SquidlyPoli1
#7  September 23, 2022, 11:21:01 pm
    • Argentina
Wow, there's a lot of stuff I missed out.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to fix all of this stuff, probably the gameplay stuff first before improving his animations.

There's stuff I still need to know, like the differences of 1.0 and 1.1 to see how that can affect the char, and as mention by SquidlyPoli1 I need to know how to add scaling (I know that's a problem but I didn't know how to solve it, Im sorry)

I promise this is not going to be the last update, and I'll try to make it as good as I can.
#8  September 24, 2022, 01:28:28 am
    • Argentina
Okay so now I fixed some problems

-I fixed all off his hurtboxes
-I changed the damage of his supers to be more balanced
-now both Supers and EX moves doesn't give you meter
-Changed his attack animations to make it more balanced.

Besides changing and adding more animations, I will also add a KK Throw (I didn't manage to add it so I though I just took it away, but as you guys are saying apparently that isn't the case)

#9  September 29, 2022, 12:52:40 am
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
The d,b+P special is still way too save and even combos into itself. https://streamable.com/cb1zlf
Sprites are still saved in the Mugen 1.1 format.

On the plus side, at least he now has a kick throw. That's nice.
#10  September 29, 2022, 02:16:48 am
    • Argentina
Dammit I missed that.

Also can you tell me how I save the sprites for more than 1.1???
#11  September 29, 2022, 02:37:12 am
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Sure.

What I do is open the character In Fighter Factory 3 and click on "sprites" > "save as" in the menu. A window will pop up asking you for the format the sprites should be saved in. Choose "M.U.G.E.N. 1.0", click OK and save the sff as usual.
#12  September 29, 2022, 03:17:27 am
    • Argentina
Both problem fixed, I still need to adjust the damage scaling, but beside that and the not so good animations I think is a competent char
#13  October 09, 2022, 06:14:59 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
It's cool that you're open to feedback and put in the work to get better. On another note, instead of making multiple links each time you update, just update the link in the first post at the top.
#14  October 09, 2022, 02:02:33 pm
    • Argentina
Oh you're right. now the original link is updated
#15  October 28, 2022, 10:52:31 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Coming here from playing Lee, he's a good bit rougher around the edges, which is expected for a first character. He's still pretty fun to mess around with, his attacks feel satisfying enough to hit. Like I said, he's a bit rougher feeling than Lee, so I have more to say about him as far as feedback goes:

- Mike has no ReadMe, so it's hard to tell exactly what he can do and what he has moveset wise.
- All of his special moves have the same start-up and damage, so there's no reason to go into one specific strength over the other, with the exception of DP + k which has range differences.
- The second hit from QCF + P doesn't come out if Mike hits the opponent while they're in midair. This also applies to the EX version.
- I almost feel like DP + K should cause screenshake when he uses it due to him literally punching the ground, regardless if it hits or not.
- Most of his special moves, both versions of Rushmore Rushdown, Warning: Earthquake, and his kick throw all lack screenshake on hit.
- Both versions of Rushmore Rushdown are zero frames on start-up.
- The swing sounds on Rushmore Rushdown get cut off early by the hitsounds. This can be fixed by giving the swing sounds and hitsounds different channels in the code.
- Far LP and both far and close HP are his only cancelable standing normals, but Far LP can only special cancel while the HPs are only super-cancelable.
- You can link MP, MK and close HP into far LP a little too easily, imo.
- Much like Lee, he lacks special to super cancels and super to MAX cancels.
- If you mash crouch LK fast enough, he'll only repeat the start-up frames of the move without actually punching all the way.
- Crouch LK is very slow for a light attack.
   - I also don't think crouch LK should be blocked low considering the angle of attack.
- Jump HK's swing sound plays too late.
- There should probably be some kind of sliding sound while he's winding up after Fool's Gold.
- The animation of him knocking his knuckles together after landing Fool's Gold doesn't have the sounds to go with it.
- This one's a little nitpicky, but he shouldn't have kick hitsounds when he doesn't really kick lol.
- Also a bit nitpicky, but DivineWolf's Kung Fu Man voice really doesn't fit him, especially with the clash of the other voices he's got. If you don't mind, I could try to record some lines for him for you to use when I've got the time.

There's a lot to work on with him, admittedly, but just like with Lee, I do see some strong potential here with Mike. I'm also happy to see you accepting and applying feedback to your characters, it's a surefire sign of the making of a good creator. You've got my support, here, so keep it up!
#16  October 28, 2022, 05:20:46 pm
    • Argentina
Thanks for the feedback, I though I was done with him but I think I was wrong.

I'll fix those things, seems like minor errors, but honestly I'll like to remake him in the future, Im practicing spritework and animation just to make him looks like his own char and not just a Frankestain of sprites.