YesNoOk

My own sprites. (Read 8474 times)

Started by Msw4568, October 13, 2020, 11:33:14 am
My own sprites.
#1  October 13, 2020, 11:33:14 am
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
After seeing some dude a few days ago making sprites in the Capcom style and even sharing the ''2d will never die'' sprite tutorials, i decided to give these a shot as well.

My name is Msw4568, and i am a newbie here.

When i edit the dimensions of the sprite, i utilize a custom pixel view display on Photoshop of 0.83 more or less, is that one correct?

Here's some little stuff i started doing since last week.

Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:52:40 pm by Msw4568
Re: My own sprites.
#2  October 13, 2020, 07:31:20 pm
  • Celestial Tear: Video games and comics collide
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com
Pretty cool. Wish my first few sprites came out that good. :)
Currently working on the beat em' up fighter called the Union.
#3  October 13, 2020, 08:50:04 pm
    • Brazil
Good job
Meet the game Nerd Vs The World!
https://diogomenegao.wixsite.com/nvstheworld
#4  October 14, 2020, 05:32:31 am
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
Thank you guys, i barely starting, i wanna know, on Photoshop, as i mentioned, i use a 0.830 custom pixel display format to adjust the dimensions of my sprites.

However i want to get some advice, is that one accurate or at the very least close, because when i take for example a 384x224 picture, it kinda looks not enough trough the 4:3 full screen picture format aimed on arcades and 32-bit home consoles (accurate aspect ratio), however when taking a 384x240 picture, it does look good enough to me.

I am making my next sprites, of course using the ''making of El Zombo'' tutorials, but i found some contradictions regarding its method, he mentions using bilinear interpolation in one tutorial and Bicubic in another. plus my version of photoshop (CS6) doesnt really specify

Here are 2 takes of my next sprite.

#5  October 14, 2020, 11:06:01 am
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
In the meantime, gave a try to my first portrait sprite.

Any suggestions and feedback is well received.

#6  October 14, 2020, 01:45:30 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
In the meantime, gave a try to my first portrait sprite.

Any suggestions and feedback is well received.

Gorgeous! I like!
Can we have a look to your references, if you used some?
#7  October 14, 2020, 05:22:02 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
These look very clean. Great work!

Shit
#8  October 22, 2020, 07:56:03 am
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
Didnt finished that Yoh sprite, but i practiced artwork to sprite graphics a little, and this took some time, but honestly it was really fun

From this

To This

The process is do is that i jump between Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint, as a matter of fact, most  of the graphic editing that isnt image scaling and color indexing and palette manipulation is done on CSP, particularly because of the custom pixel brushes i gotten from the Clip Studio Assets page, and its so comfy that i dont mind switching betwen programs due to CSP not really having color indexing and palette management, i want to believe this is the same process that Capcom, and perhaps even SNK did to translate artwork to pixels.

But i been realizing quite a lot about how this is not sprite art mainly because the entire picture has wider dimensions then any usual screen display or stuff like that, and its becoming a huge mess with hipsters and such people, i even saw someone spriting a sailormoon artwork and getting crap for it.
#9  October 22, 2020, 08:48:26 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Didnt finished that Yoh sprite, but i practiced artwork to sprite graphics a little, and this took some time, but honestly it was really fun

From this

To This

The process is do is that i jump between Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint, as a matter of fact, most  of the graphic editing that isnt image scaling and color indexing and palette manipulation is done on CSP, particularly because of the custom pixel brushes i gotten from the Clip Studio Assets page, and its so comfy that i dont mind switching betwen programs due to CSP not really having color indexing and palette management, i want to believe this is the same process that Capcom, and perhaps even SNK did to translate artwork to pixels.

But i been realizing quite a lot about how this is not sprite art mainly because the entire picture has wider dimensions then any usual screen display or stuff like that, and its becoming a huge mess with hipsters and such people, i even saw someone spriting a sailormoon artwork and getting crap for it.

very nice I'm curious to see these "pixel brushes" in action...
#10  October 22, 2020, 08:48:15 pm
  • SNK is life
Up close on a pixel scale ... it looks AMAZING. This is very exciting stuff man, can't wait to see more
#11  October 22, 2020, 10:47:59 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
I would like to see more of those MVC-styled portraits from you, MSW. The art is crisp and finely detailed, makes you truly believe that Capcom hasn't lost its touch.

I am also very intrigued of the Sakura sprite you did; is that CPS2-based?
#12  October 22, 2020, 11:47:29 pm
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
I would like to see more of those MVC-styled portraits from you, MSW. The art is crisp and finely detailed, makes you truly believe that Capcom hasn't lost its touch.

I am also very intrigued of the Sakura sprite you did; is that CPS2-based?

Thank you, and yes, the Sakura one was meant to be CPS2.
#13  October 23, 2020, 05:03:42 am
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
I got frustrated at this WIP, turns out that the CLAMP's watercolor style artwork, does not work well with any of the techinques i am trying to do for sprite conversion.

As a matter of fact it creates too many messy dithered pixels and makes it daunting and intimidating to say the least, any suggestions?

Also, i really need to ask again, and i beg, PLEASE DONT IGNORE THIS POINT THIS TIME, What is the correct number i can use in photoshop to create the same Capcom CPS style pixel display, i use 0.83 for display, and when i start editing my pictures, i try to expand the width horizontally at 120%, but i need to know, is this even close?
Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:34:17 am by Msw4568
#14  October 23, 2020, 07:49:25 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#15  October 23, 2020, 09:44:46 am
  • Just some Latino
    • Mexico
Cant see the pic sadly. Hopefully this blog by Rolento helps
https://iammanyninjas.com/irwt/sprite-cps2.html

Thanks for the help, but i am afraid i was already familiar with that article, and sadly it mentions nothing about aspect ratio levels as in numbers, i read somewhere around the internet about sprite dimensions on 4chan, but that was a long time ago, as well as this forum.

In the meantime, here's the picture i posted