YesNoOk

Fighting Game strategy. (Read 12563 times)

Started by Ryuko2, August 29, 2007, 10:00:13 am
Share this topic:
Fighting Game strategy.
#1  August 29, 2007, 10:00:13 am
Hello :) Ryuko here. Just wanted to talk about strategy for a bit.
I was wondering if this makes any sense to you concerning fighting games, like mugen:

eople who excel at damaging their enemies with energy blasts are best at fighting from afar. On the other hand, people who excel at using melee combos, throws, and plain brute force to damage enemies are best at fighting up close.

As a ranged-combat guru, you must pool you efforts into keeping the opponent from closing in on you, which close range fighter need to do to get to you. This means the long range guru must fight defensively and react to advances. Hopefully, you have an attack that tracks an opponent or an attack that has a wide arc to prevent jump-overs. Also, is you get into a fireball war, it would be best to wait to see what the opponent will do when he gets a bar of super energy. The opponent might leave him or herself open to punishment. If you go about it right, damage won't be an issue. just make sure you are wearing the opponent down. It will be difficult to stop you.

The close combat fighter, on the other hand, must try to keep the battle close because they, most likely, suffer from a serious lack of strong long-range attacks. (Bosses notwithstanding) once you get in, do as much damage as you can. It would be best if you stunned the opponent  before starting a combo. Also, mix it up to keep your opponent guessing. After you learn to keep the pressure up, you'll find that it only takes a handful of changed assaults to knock out even the strongest opponent."

Am I missing Anything? Because I want to post a guide to playing a fighting guide for friends that want to get into fighting games, but only have a PC.

Thanks for reading and reviewing. ;)

Izlude

Re: Fighting Game strategy.
#2  August 29, 2007, 04:36:31 pm
I just try to play has random and un-predictable has possible, and I often take risks just to connect with a clean hit, but I also know how to play keep away, but the pressure sometimes gets me when I'm left blocking for too long.
#3  August 29, 2007, 05:21:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
do not forget about pressure and time, several players just get desperate and try to end the fight asap,whereas taking your time can easily work in your favor. since you are talking about ranges, it applyes in just walking or even staying still so you are on your better range, sure,ti will take longer to get a good result,  but you won't risk messing up.

another note about range is about testing your character's attacks and know at which distance you have the advantage over the oponent and struggle for that position.
#4  August 29, 2007, 09:20:24 pm
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
not all long range people are about distanced projectile spamming, in games that allow more manueverability *guilty gear for instance* projectile spamming doesn't lockdown as it would in say streetfighter II CE

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#5  August 29, 2007, 11:33:07 pm
  • duwa duwa
*cough zoning*cough*
man CE was so broken bison, the thought of him makes me shiver,

like cars in reverse ,  ya better back up
#6  August 30, 2007, 02:11:45 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
another tip is to evaluate the situation, consider the distance and other factors in the instant of the fight, mose importantly what can you do and what the oponent do, then perform the most advantageous move , be it blocking if you expect a dp on wake up, doing a meaty attack, etc....
#7  August 30, 2007, 03:03:03 am
not all long range people are about distanced projectile spamming, in games that allow more manueverability *guilty gear for instance* projectile spamming doesn't lockdown as it would in say streetfighter II CE

Thank you, but I already understand that. I'm a guilty gear pro. But anyway, doesn't zoning fit into both catagories. and can anyone give me example of what we are discussing. (even though I know a lot about most fighting games, I've never had any human challengers.)
#8  August 30, 2007, 03:52:53 am
    • Peru
Sometimes being predictable is good. The enemy will counter attack thinking you will repet the pattern, and voila, you don't repeat it.

I really dislike poking, but there are some characters that can do wonders using it.

Izlude

#9  August 30, 2007, 04:03:15 am
Yeah, and sometimes being predictable can be a godsend. Like in Garou:Mark Of The Wolves, with Butt Khushnood, you can spam his Koho all day and keep braking it while your opponent blocks it. Your opponent will get the idea that they can throw you after you do a weak Koho and brake it, so when you ready your next one, you do the strong version and brake it (Weak Koho brings you closer to your opponent when blocked, and Strong Koho pushes you back). When your opponent lets go of back and pushes forward to make a throw attempt, they aren't in range at all and you can Koho them again, brake, and set up for a mean combo.

It's a nasty strategy I tell you, one I can never get myself out of unless I keep away at long/mid range and not up close, but since I play Jae Hoon, close/mid range is where he plays best.
#10  September 01, 2007, 06:40:03 am
  • Master Of The Fist
just go akuma hes the best of both worlds, close range and long range, ryu and ken combined i like to think of it :)
#11  September 01, 2007, 03:52:16 pm
just go akuma hes the best of both worlds, close range and long range, ryu and ken combined i like to think of it :)
--; I am truly sorry, Spirit_Moon but I must say this; >:D BULL F****** S***! That is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. While I will admit Akuma does have the tools to fight at both ranges, the majority of this damage doesn't come from either. In fact, he has to use Zoning to get any real damage. Zoning is a big part in Akuma's game plan, offensively and defensively. Akuma needs to maintain space with his opponent most of the time, this keeps them alert and waiting for him to make the move, which becomes a guessing game for them, causing them to second guess and mess up.
Akuma cannot do high amounts of damage with one hit(ryu), nor can he control the ground mindlessly(ken).
An Akuma player has to play smart. So, at least to me, technically, he could be considered close range since if he tried long range only, he would die too quickly.
Spirit_Moon, while I truly appreciate your contribution, PLEASE think about what you will say before you post. I don't want to be negative, but to just say what you said makes you sound like, for lack of a better term, a N00b. Which I am sure you aren't.
#12  September 01, 2007, 06:00:10 pm
  • Master Of The Fist
eh whats ur problem here akuma can fight at long range no problem and at short range to, he was designed to be the best shoto with no weakness against the other 2 as he is the master of the fist you know......

Izlude

#13  September 01, 2007, 10:35:39 pm
#14  September 02, 2007, 05:37:40 am
eh whats ur problem here akuma can fight at long range no problem and at short range to, he was designed to be the best shoto with no weakness against the other 2 as he is the master of the fist you know......
ok kiddo, NEWS FLASH! Akuma, Ryu, and Ken are not the only characters in fighting games there are too many characters to count and most of them have a way of dealing with long range fighters. Akuma can't just sit and shoot fireballs. He would DIE!
Here are some examples
1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPHXJ9NPmuI
This is an example of a Great Gouki/Akuma player, and yet, he loses overall. Akuma loses because Ken out-zoned him. Akuma only lost. Had Akuma tried to play long, he would have been butchered.
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqjf7TcOjXU
In this one, a person has created an AI that is reacting instead of zoning and again Akuma loses, Rather quickly. But he doesn't play long range either.
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhob8r0-qEE
Just to get it out of the way, this Akuma doesn't use long range except to force his opponent to deal with it, as a means, not an end. Then he goes in close and tries to do damage. This one won very nicely.

This is how akuma is. He is not going to be a long range fighter. I mean, you said it yourself, he is the Master OF The FIST! So he does his best when introducing his fist to the opponents face. NOT FIREBALLING.

P.S. Looking at the facts (game only), I hate to say it, but...RYU would still beat Akuma overall.  :(
Also, and I quote
"Akuma takes damage really easily. He has a hard time getting away from
a rushdown string (without using teleport). He also doesn't have too many
options of rushdown. Which is why you need to mixup normals and specials. Alot of characters counter Akuma. They include Vega,
Blanka, Sagat, Cammy, Sakura, Guile, almost everyone, except a few. I feel he
does okay against Ryu, Ken, Yun, and mostly the mid-low tiers."

Thank you, Izlude
#15  September 02, 2007, 08:15:36 am
Akuma has more of an offensive edge compared to Ryu and Ken and not to mention funner to play with. But in about every incarnation he comes in, he has a defence/stamina/stun weakness (eg. Third Strike where he has the smallest stun bar and he takes the most damage) to make up for his power.

Hmm.

akuma can fight at long range no problem
Uh-huh. Try it.

he was designed to be the best shoto with no weakness against the other 2 as he is the master of the fist you know......
Play SF3? He -was- the best shoto.

He also doesn't have too many
options of rushdown. Which is why you need to mixup normals and specials.
What. Akuma does absolutely fine in rushdown. I mean it's probably the only thing he does. Unless I'm misinterpreting your post.
#16  September 02, 2007, 08:52:28 am
Akuma has more of an offensive edge compared to Ryu and Ken and not to mention funner to play with. But in about every incarnation he comes in, he has a defence/stamina/stun weakness (eg. Third Strike where he has the smallest stun bar and he takes the most damage) to make up for his power.

Hmm.

akuma can fight at long range no problem
Uh-huh. Try it.

he was designed to be the best shoto with no weakness against the other 2 as he is the master of the fist you know......
Play SF3? He -was- the best shoto.

He also doesn't have too many
options of rushdown. Which is why you need to mixup normals and specials.
What. Akuma does absolutely fine in rushdown. I mean it's probably the only thing he does. Unless I'm misinterpreting your post.

Thank you for your views. And yes, you did misinterpret the meaning. It all depends on who he is fighting and how skilled they are. For example, if the Akuma player went up against a Ryu or Ken player(SF3) of the same skill level, he would have many more problems using rushdown on Ken than on Ryu, despite the fact that ryu hits harder. Ken has the ground game COVERED against akuma. And, as I quote SCSA, "That's all I have to say about that."
#17  September 02, 2007, 11:21:51 pm
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
Personally I like the game strategy I can make with Gen.

1. An air grab super when I want it moving diagonally upwards (good as an anti air and as the end of a setup).
2. Multiple puch spam attack so bring on the hurt after or before an attack.
3. A rolling attack to attack/dodge projectiles.
4. A charging and air dving down kick attack to be unpredictable.
5. Thrusting attack that hits after you move foward to allow for an opportunity to continue it.
6. The up lunging one handed kick attack to send them into a kicking combo.
7. Two different styles that FORCE your opponent to concentrate on your attacks.

And last but not least:

8. The dreaded timed dizzying point touch that allows you to pick your opportunity like a vulture.

Gen allows me to enact more than one strategy if i need it. But does anyone else have a character that aids in your strategies like this?
#18  September 03, 2007, 06:06:35 am
  • duwa duwa
scrubs................ ;D

#19  September 03, 2007, 06:20:28 am
    • Peru
Finally, a Gen player. I didn't have the chance to play Zero3 in a competitive way, but the few times I was at the arcade playing that game, Gen and the word "surprise" were good friends 8)
#20  September 03, 2007, 07:01:36 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
i was a sakura and ryu player in sfz.
#21  September 03, 2007, 08:59:00 pm
#22  September 03, 2007, 10:15:18 pm
    • www.mugen-infantry.net
I take personal pleasure in stomping the morons using anime names.
"Let us have a dagger between our teeth, a bomb in our hands, and an infinite scorn in our hearts." Benito Mussolini

#23  September 04, 2007, 07:38:35 am
I used the shotos in the SFZ games and occasionally Sakura when I felt like poking fun at my opponent or just having a bit of change (because I had no idea how to use her, she just had pretty much the same sort of shoto commands).

I didn't really use anyone else until I got SFA3 Max on PSP where I used Yun as well. I guess that counts as the same game?
#24  September 05, 2007, 03:10:03 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#25  September 06, 2007, 06:50:51 pm
  • You are not ready for yoga.
It's all about taunting with 'The Strongest Style!'  8)
-
#26  September 07, 2007, 09:22:35 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
For people who said Akuma is weaker, in third strike definitely, in 2 turbo *laughs ass off*

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#27  September 08, 2007, 12:18:04 am
My fighting Strategy? Here's mine then:

I use fighters who either has Hyper Moves that pulls heavy combo(example: Guy) on the foe, then charge to my foe and quickly do combos, or Super Moves, then use Hyper Moves when Powered up. If using Fighters with 6 buttons, I start doing combos, and Special Moves to take him down, if I am weak and my foe is weak, I use Hyper moves that are Long Melee or Long Range if available before he takes me down, or when the match begins, I just jump to the foe and strike him. I like doing the "D, DF, F", "D, DB, B", "F, D, DF", and "D, DB, B, F". If I am nearly dead, I back up and Block the Attacks and use Super Moves. (So is my Fighting Strategy good?)

I am no good at doing the HCB, by the way.
#28  September 08, 2007, 12:25:54 am
  • duwa duwa
just randomly doing supers when your weak or don't have any priorities is stupid and can get you beaten easy.

#29  September 10, 2007, 06:27:16 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
if the guy is good, i zone the oponent, if not i just counter attack.