YesNoOk

Ken Identical to Ryu? (Read 9881 times)

Started by Spirit_Moon, September 01, 2007, 05:17:40 am
Share this topic:
Ken Identical to Ryu?
#1  September 01, 2007, 05:17:40 am
  • Master Of The Fist
i had this big massive argument with some guy about sf2 arcade and how capcom made ken a clone of ryu so you could both go the same char for no avantage to be gained as sf2 arcade didnt allow both oppoents to go the same char.

ive read all over the place and they say the same stuff that ken is the same sprite as ryu in sf2 arcade apart from a head swap and a modified throw.

now i played sf2 arcade back in 1991 yes am that old and they played the exact same, they where clones of each other with the same damage counts and so on do any of yous agree or disagree with this if yous where fortunate to be around in the 1990's.

basically hes saying ryu has priority over ken in sf2 arcade machine, i disagree because i belive they have the exact same coding and are the exact same char apart from a head swap.

whats ur opinion on this?
Re: Ken Identical to Ryu?
#2  September 01, 2007, 05:22:26 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
Maybe it's the same route Midway did with the ninjas in the early MK games. To get in more characters, when they put in a ninja, they decided to use the same sprites, but make 3 different characters in the first game (If you didn't know, Reptile is in MK1 as well. Much like Smoke in MK2, Reptile didn't have his own moves, just both Scorpions and Sub-Zero's).
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#3  September 01, 2007, 05:23:07 am
Ken is a copy of Ryu, initially. I can't remember why, exactly, but I'm sure that he was....

I think it was to spur on American audiences to play or something?
#4  September 01, 2007, 05:24:54 am
  • Master Of The Fist
Ken is a copy of Ryu, initially. I can't remember why, exactly, but I'm sure that he was....

I think it was to spur on American audiences to play or something?

i read somehwere it was because each char didnt have more than one palette so u couldnt both pick the same char so they made ken a exact carbon copy of ryu so you could actually get a fair fight going the same char with all the same moves and damage hits.
#5  September 01, 2007, 05:45:39 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
In WW, Ryu and Ken were the same gameplay-wise except for their kick throws (Ken's had the rolling deal). CE onwards, they've never been identical.
#6  September 01, 2007, 05:46:51 am
  • Master Of The Fist
In WW, Ryu and Ken were the same gameplay-wise except for their kick throws (Ken's had the rolling deal). CE onwards, they've never been identical.

ok same gameplay and same coding in moves apart from a throw so does this mean niether char has a priority over the other since they are clones of each other?
#7  September 01, 2007, 05:49:48 am
Supposedly Ken has a tiny edge, because his rolling throw covers so much space that it makes it easier to get the opponent into the corner (which is always a favorable position). But since this is the only way in which they differ, any advantage that Ken would have over Ryu is very slight.
#8  September 01, 2007, 05:53:23 am
  • Master Of The Fist
ok thank you, you have been most helpful so u are telling me ryu doesnt over power ken in sf2 arcade as in priority over attacks ie: ryus shuryuken will over power kens? because i never believed this, i believe its who ever activated it first and if yous both activate at same time then its just ur luck.

ok thanks for clearing this up, ken is a exact duplicate char to ryu in sf2 arcade apart from a throw, niether char has priority over each other because they are the same sprite and coding apart from a head swap and throw.
#9  September 01, 2007, 06:06:58 am
With regards to trading Shoryukens, whoever did theirs last is actually more likely to hit, because that means their invincibility and active frames (the frames that can hit) will last longer than the opponent's, simply by vritue of them starting later. If they both do a Shoryuken on the exact same frame, neither will get hit.
#10  September 01, 2007, 05:03:53 pm
    • Peru
IIRC, they started to being different in CE (in terms of speed/damage/recovery frames).

Izlude

#11  September 01, 2007, 10:34:54 pm
It wasn't until Super/Super Turbo that the two began to take more noticeable differences, and this is further elaborated on in Alpha and SF3.
#12  September 01, 2007, 10:40:38 pm
  • Mysterio! Do the Hustle!!!!

*apparent head swap'd*

FYI, it's a coyote... not a wolf f00! :Mr-T:
*Orton Poses*
\_O__/
#13  September 02, 2007, 05:01:36 am
    • interrage.deviantart.com/
 I thought that Ken had some comboability with his hurricane kick and dragon punch.
New #14  September 02, 2007, 07:53:46 am
That's Akuma.

Weak Tatsumaki to Shoryuken.

[size=2pt]editted in case someone misinterpreted[/size]
Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:31:10 pm by Kei Dasshuu
#15  September 02, 2007, 09:48:45 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
CE = massive difference, Ken's useless/weak tatsumaki senpu kyakku is nothing like Ryu's high priority smackfest, and the highly forwards movement of Ken's  shroyuken makes it much more usefull in CE

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me