YesNoOk

How do I find out specifically what I need for college? (Read 2788 times)

Started by ~*Ishida-Uryuu*~, October 11, 2009, 05:43:03 am
Share this topic:
How do I find out specifically what I need for college?
#1  October 11, 2009, 05:43:03 am
  • DAT SAX
Well, it's my junior year in high school, and my dad won't get off my sack about college. Even more stressful is his constant nagging about me needing to take AP classes; and not just a few or a couple... as many as possible.  --; There are people who commit suicide from getting "as many as possible", and I'm not trying to work myself to death just to get into college and find out I didn't need half the shit I almost killed myself over for the field I'm trying to pursue. So my question is:

How exactly do I find out precisely what classes, tests, etc I need to take in order to pursue a specific field? Also, how do college courses for freshmen work? I'm trying to (in the long run) major in either computer science or game development (if possible, I've seen major schools that provide this) and minor in Japanese language studies. I don't want to take a bunch of classes in college that have nothing to do with what I want to study, so I want to know if it's possible to avoid shit like having English classes and shit like that. I've already jotted down a bunch of colleges that seem to have what I want, but I need to know just what I need to get in and be successful with those classes.

Can anyone recommend good California or tristate area schools that provide those, as well?

This would be VERY helpful for me, guys, and would take a 5 ton load off my back, a couple of those pounds being my dad.

Thanks!  :)

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
Re: How do I find out specifically what I need for college?
#2  October 11, 2009, 05:52:18 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
check the websites of schools you want to go to, they usually have lists.

think of what program you want, you can ask colleges for program books, these give you a proper breakdown of courses programs etc.

most of this happens senior year though, i dont know why you're getting bugged so early.
#3  October 11, 2009, 07:52:41 am
    • Thailand
You're going to have to take a bunch of classes in college that has nothing to do with what you are studying. You usually can't do anything with language until you have a certain amount of credits. If you're taking a language now and you pass that language's regents, then you will be exempt anyway, so taking Japanese would just be icing on the cake; Some school usually just require two semesters of a language as a graduation requirement. No way to avoid basic courses like English or math. I think even if you get 100% on the regents and 100% on the placemen test for the school that you'll still need to take math or reading, even if only for one semester.

There won't be any specific test to pursue a certain field of work, not until grad-school, as far as I remember; up to bachelors you just need to take the necessary courses for your major.

College courses for freshman work the same as courses for seniors for the simple fat that you'll be taking classes with people who are upper freshmen, junior... etc. It depends on what classes one has chose before and what one needs now. Of course the entry level courses are going to stress you to learn a certain style of essay formatting, plagiarism, citing... etc.

If you're trying to get into a very good college (I'm sure you know which are good and which aren't by now) then you will need good grades, if you're just trying to get by then you probably want a community college or something; community college isn't as bad as you might think. Unless you're becoming a lawyer or something, more times than none, it doesn't really matter what school you go to in the long run (does help to be in an Ivy league school lead school, though). You can always ask a college councilor in your school since these people are necessary in every high school;l maybe they only wok with seniors, though. Not sure.

To be successful in college is easy, don't procrastinate like you're doing now in High school (and with Mugen). ;P

Nowadays there is the internet so as Momo! said you can check out some websites for the college you want to go to, or you could take a visit to the college yourself. I recommend take a visit to the college you want to go to once you figure it out.

I don't know any place in California. (dat internet :beatnik2:)

Ask one of your high school teachers or something they will be able to help you, assuming they went through the process you're going through now.

Keep in mind that college is a business and no matter what you think about some of the stuff, they don't care as long as you pay tuition. In reality, they care nothing about you; I speak against the metonymy, a professors might care about you if you get close enough to a nygiven professor in that 4-6 month time period.
#4  October 11, 2009, 08:03:21 am
  • DAT SAX
So there is no way to avoid taking (mostly) irrelevant courses in college?

My MUGEN shit:
#5  October 11, 2009, 08:10:49 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
nope, because most of those classes are required for a certain course.
#6  October 11, 2009, 08:12:20 am
  • DAT SAX
So I'm going to have to take shit like English to get into programming? X_x

My MUGEN shit:
#7  October 11, 2009, 08:14:07 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
yup
then you need to take computer literacy etc.. AND then you can take that computer programming class  ;)
#8  October 11, 2009, 08:17:03 am
    • Thailand
For example: You might need 2 English's, a math, and a science to take a certain course.

You gotta unlock your destiny, literally.  :-X
#9  October 11, 2009, 09:18:48 am
  • DAT SAX
God dammit I thought that was what high school was for. >_<

My MUGEN shit:
#10  October 11, 2009, 09:46:38 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
the education system all over the world is screwed, we have to take shittons of useless classes along the way not related to what we pursue at all, and which will come in no use later on :P
Planning ahead
#11  October 11, 2009, 10:17:53 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The Art Institute of California. There's one in San Diego (I've been there, great place)
http://www.artinstitutes.edu/

Seems like you're interested in game design and programming:
http://www.artinstitutes.edu/game-design-and-programming.aspx

If by any chance you apply for an admission, it would be cool if you could put a friend's name as a referral (She gets school's store credit to buy textbooks, that's all)

Edit:
I have a copy of the credits you have to cover for game design, that's very art-oriented though.
I might have documents for game programming as well, but I'm not sure.
Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:28:56 am by Noah Bennet
#12  October 11, 2009, 10:59:58 am
    • USA
K.O.D. is right, the system is quite screwed up in the whole world but that scoring/ credits sistem in USA is really weird and almost stupid  :( .

There should be a system where you study A LOT but about something directly related to your desired future course but that would also be kind of unfair to the people who later decides to take another future path which ends up in all those points getting thrown in the recycle bin, that's why that kind of system would not work aswell but fuck the indecisive ones :P

also how the hell am i supposed to study here:

Seems like you're interested in game design and programming:
http://www.artinstitutes.edu/game-design-and-programming.aspx

if im foreign  :( , credits arent usually compatible between countries (And in Argentina we dont even have a credit system).

so much talking about credits makes me want to insert a coin...
#13  October 11, 2009, 12:28:27 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ

if im foreign  :( , credits arent usually compatible between countries
I asked four months ago and they are.
(And in Argentina we dont even have a credit system).
Oh. Well, now THAT's a problem.
#14  October 11, 2009, 12:32:55 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
We're lucky enough to have the whole ECTS credits system in Europe. :)

And yeah, you'll always have to take classes which you won't be needing later on, but it's for your general culture, and allows people to decide which field they like or not.

Evne in my engineering school, I had to take electronics, Quantum mechanics, electromechanics and telecommunications, while I was obviously aiming for Imaging, hence Mathematics and Computer science only. Even if your school is specialized, you will always be following a bunch of classes you will think useless, but which can finally be a little useful in the long run (and WTF, English class is useful no ?!)
#15  October 11, 2009, 12:39:32 pm
    • USA
the main problem is when you have to take certain classes because "you're still missing one point". It's quite stupid. I'm totally ok with the general culture thing (I have my own motto about that: "It's better to know something about everything than everything about just one thing") but there are some stuff that's just way absurd like:

Quantum mechanics

oh yeah, general culture :P
#16  October 11, 2009, 12:43:48 pm
    • Thailand
The excuse for such "unnecessary" is said to be so students can have fair knowledge about many subjects, not only super knowledge on what they pursue. Supposedly this process makes one more rounded when it comes to certain subjects, and more times than none, some dumb courses actually help you make sense of some things in other advance course that pertain to your desired career, believe it or not, but it is true.

On the other hand, many people don't care if they don't learn a certain English skill or math skill, many people just want to go head on into pursuing their desired career. If this was done, I think school would be over too quick, and many people wouldn't be ready for what goes on in the real world of their career or life. Without some basic knowledge about somethings like: history, math, government, science...etc one could find themselves inapt for their desired career choice. Throughout the course of college, one also learns to take responsibility for themselves and lots of other life skills. Maturity is not a two semester process. Two, maybe three semesters would be all one would need for most careers to move on to grad-school if that's where they want to end up next. College doesn't maximize maturity, but I think in this day and age it's part of it.

(and WTF, English class is useful no ?!)
English class for Americans, means reading books and writing essays with perfect grammar and stuff like that. What it is not, is learning how to put a sentence together correctly (at least not in college it isn't really focused on that anymore). :P

I wonder if you have to take French in France, do you have to take French in France? I'm just curious.
#17  October 11, 2009, 01:06:25 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Yeah, we have to take French in Preparatory classes for "Grandes Ecoles" (engineering schools).

It's basically doing essays, summarizing long texts and doing a lot of philosophy. We are asked to read 3 books (one real story, one philosophical essay and one theater book) during summer class, all of them treating about a unique vast subject such as "intelligence", "peace" or "illusion", and during the whole year we'll be doing essays based on the books we've read (as well as others from our general culture), and we have to memorize by heart whole sentences of the books to use them as citations during our 4 hours essays.
#18  October 11, 2009, 01:25:59 pm
  • and the show goes on
that's interesting, what you're talking about....
i'm thinking about to "upgrade" my qualifications (something like a " you've succesfully finished your college" thing), so i can study and have something in my hands.
Also, a relative of mine said that studying is much easier than schools, and she's a half lazy bum.
Hey, maybe it's posible to have more time for my hobbies, yeah learning included.

but this "upgrade" should be hard, i think selfwork and independent work is needed in this ;)
ah, yes, languages are awesome, perhaps i'll take some private courses for them.
vanish with my soon learned spanish. ;P

And if you think it's useless, languages, wait till you can't find any job in your country..... BWAHAAHAH
made of ripped hearts waving far away,
only my memory stays still, as i say.
Looking to sky,
oh, how many people wished to fly?
i don't know,
beacuse life's harshness is a mainpart of god's show
Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:36:23 pm by thoraxglycerin
#19  October 11, 2009, 05:41:07 pm
    • Germany
You could also come to Germany, where everything is cool. I took Advanced Programming before I had Programming I done, Technical Computer Science II before Technical Computer Science I.. basically I'm scrambling the entire plan around and it's all cool :)
#20  October 11, 2009, 09:45:06 pm
  • DAT SAX
But I'd have to learn that angry-sounding language! D: :P

My MUGEN shit: