• 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
leaning towards no but thats matchup dependent
Re: Game mechanics
#22  April 13, 2014, 07:32:26 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I'm leaning towards 'no' as well.
We can always save the idea and place it in a later iteration of the game in the form of DLC :P
#23  April 15, 2014, 02:00:09 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
A couple of ideas:

- Taunts decreasing an opponent's power bar if completed, perhaps for an enhanced value if the tauntee is attacking while the taunter ending the taunt - like extra counter damage to the spirit.
Of course, as a full game feature this would be coded in the victim to detect an opponent's transition from the taunt state to something other than a get-hit state, assuming taunts can't be cancelled.
It would also encourage a character to stay on the offensive to maintain his bar, as turtling would compromise a shot at a level 3.

- A nod to Final Fight: if you don't have enough power bar for a super, pay for it with life, as with FF's specials, since that game had no power bars.
SFA3 let you start with a level of power bar to encourage offense early on, but getting the option at the cost of some life instead could also work, provided you'd lose less life than what the super inflicts if it lands.
Say a super on average does 300 damage (assuming standard life is 1000) - it could cost 200 life. If a super costs 1000 power, but a character has some but not enough, he can spend all his power and the proportional remaining equivalent in life rounded up to use a super.
Ex: 900 power -> do a super and lose all your power plus 20 life.
If this only applies to offensive techniques it's not a concern for potential defensive uses like Elena's Healing super.
Re: Gameplay mechanics
#24  April 18, 2014, 03:00:15 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
So chains were scrapped right?

Meter is usually easy to build so unless its FF character specific, I'm opposed.

2P throw input + ex moves is going to lead to messed up inputs on accident. I hate 2p and close f+p inputs since my crappy controller tends to mess up.

Are you adding kara throws?

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#25  April 18, 2014, 03:08:59 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
 no chains

The 2P/2K and LP+LK throws will be able to be turned on and off in a config file. So if you do hate one you can remove it. I hate 2/3P/K being run/superjump in MVC games but it doesn't seem to mess up the inputs often.

Kara throws will more than likely be character specific

(On controllers if I play on a PS controller I prefer 2P/2K throws. Sega Saturn I prefer LP+LK. I'll probably use a Saturn on this game)
#26  April 18, 2014, 05:56:17 pm
  • Smart Icoca wannabe!
    • Poland
    • samouczek.com/
It would be cool to see a pause screen, I already have a working code that could share if this Idea would be used, it comes with character portrait animation, small section for character info, extended section for hypers and special, it also displays commands that change regarding to character facing which indicates little character shilluette on the lower right part of the screen.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#27  April 18, 2014, 06:08:18 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That would be really cool! I want it to look as similar to a commercial game pause screen/move list as we can get it.

I don't know about the changing directions depending on which side you're on. Does it put the command on the right side of the screen when facing left? Those kinds tend to confuse me more but if it switches sides too it might not be so bad.
#28  April 18, 2014, 06:38:12 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Hey guys, I got a question. While coding the basics I went to confirm if there were any sort of auto close range attacks. (not a V-ism player) As I suspected there is not. So this made me wonder how certain characters are dealt with. So I picked Charlie who typically has a B+SK, near SK, far SK, and F+SK

He doesn't have his far SK at all in this option. I'm kinda wanting to remove this feature. Game has quite a few SFA mechanics already anyway. Thoughts? Alternatives?
#29  April 18, 2014, 07:36:43 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Hey guys, I got a question. While coding the basics I went to confirm if there were any sort of auto close range attacks. (not a V-ism player) As I suspected there is not. So this made me wonder how certain characters are dealt with. So I picked Charlie who typically has a B+SK, near SK, far SK, and F+SK

He doesn't have his far SK at all in this option. I'm kinda wanting to remove this feature. Game has quite a few SFA mechanics already anyway. Thoughts? Alternatives?

As in dropping the "hold Back for close version of an attack". Fine with me, it's annoying for some combos.
As if Dhalsim makes it to the cast, I prefer when he auto-stretches based on the distance from the opponent anyway.
#30  April 18, 2014, 07:42:06 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
For dhalsim I always wondered if he'd be better with F+ attack to stretch instead of back or near.

@Balthazar:
@Alex Sinigaglia:

You guys have strong feelings for this mechanic?
#31  April 18, 2014, 08:41:54 pm
  • Smart Icoca wannabe!
    • Poland
    • samouczek.com/
That would be really cool! I want it to look as similar to a commercial game pause screen/move list as we can get it.

I don't know about the changing directions depending on which side you're on. Does it put the command on the right side of the screen when facing left? Those kinds tend to confuse me more but if it switches sides too it might not be so bad.

This is my pause menu in action, in gif it may look a bit choppy but i don't have a camtasia installed right now so it's the best I could get, it's more smooth and a bit faster on the actual game.

As for the changing directions:

You decide if this is helpful or confusing, either way it can be easily disabled.

Note that I found a small bug related to that kind of menu, I encountered a problem connected to custom states, I was playing against Virgil who put my character into custom state and then the problem occured, namely pause menu triggered on pressing left/right instead of start, in the begining it had set it to work in -2, the solution was to use -3 which excludes custom states but perhaps it was virgil's fault, maybe in full game that kind of problem will not occur.

I don't think pause related code was my problem, as you can see, there is nothing that should trigger it in a situation I described.

Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:01:32 pm by WooshaQ
#32  April 18, 2014, 10:17:07 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's really cool. I think it'd work great for this project. I still personally prefer the note saying all motions presume the user is facing right. The little figure at the bottom turning is a nice touch. And if other users prefer it to display different motions depending on which side I'll easily concede.

In a full game there should be very little risk of it happening without the user's input at all.
#33  April 18, 2014, 11:11:56 pm
  • Smart Icoca wannabe!
    • Poland
    • samouczek.com/
K, here's the file with all the resources and code, for the sake of my convinience I split shared gfx for fightfx and character dedicated that goes to character sff. I believe this is useful for size reduction, I use it myself to separate hitsparks and a lot of shared gfx on my character edits. I've noticed while pasting air that I used a blank gfx file placed at 9999,99 but this you can easily correct, I just pointed them out on fightfx air file. The main code, uses commands like forwards, back, x and menu, this will have to be chanded. The Info section of the menu I used for hardcoded credits but as I wrote it can be used for character bio or whatever. Well, you can do whatever you want with it :) If something appears to be missing in the archive below, just let me know.

https://www.mediafire.com/?1t8df74eznymvwd
#34  April 19, 2014, 12:29:12 am
#35  April 19, 2014, 01:11:22 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That was a sub discussion! I wanted clarification on removing the back+attack for close range attacks and make them work automatically like normal! Anyway that's how they're coded now. I can change them later if I need
#36  April 19, 2014, 07:48:44 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
Id scrap the holdback input for cl normals. Maybe keep it for Dhalsim though. I prefer the stretches being auto

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!

SNT

#37  April 27, 2014, 04:04:52 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Should we have another option for super selection inspired from Ultra SF4's double? Where the character has access to all super arts with the cost of damage reduction? Super stock number and super bar length could still be different as well to help balance it out. Not like the option in SF3 to have all supers with 2 bars of the same length for all characters.
I don't like the idea of super selection period, so I'd support an all-supers option.  But to balance out the advantage of multiple supers I don't think a damage nerf is the way to go, that can get too fiddly to balance.  How about the all-supers option gives you only one stock of a long super bar?  That way having all your supers available gets balanced out by waiting longer to use them, having only the one stock, and limiting use of EX / Comebacks / Custom / Zero Counters?
#38  April 27, 2014, 04:15:20 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Sounds like for now we won't worry about an all supers option in the game. Though you can also feel good keeping in mind that these mechanics are just for the "official" game. There will be an option to have them all on in the config file for fun factor. Not worrying about balance.
#39  June 29, 2014, 12:19:07 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
There will be four sizes for the Super Gauges depending on the super art. How much should the max power level be for each?

I'm thinking that smallest to greatest should be 1500 then 2000 then 2500 then 3000.

How much should an EX cost? 500? 750? I'm leaning toward 500
#40  June 29, 2014, 12:47:12 am
750 always feels like a weird amount, and on a bar, it's even less easily visible when you have enough and how much it's going to remove. It's just a matter of adjusting the advantage so that it's fair for half a super rather than 3/4th of a super.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.