YesNoOk

Fighting Game & Character Terminology (Read 609959 times)

Started by Die Giant Monster, April 23, 2003, 08:52:15 pm
Share this topic:

Die Giant Monster

Fighting Game & Character Terminology
#1  April 23, 2003, 08:52:15 pm
I have a great and many questions about the terminology used to describe game functions, characters, and moves.  I also have a sundry number of smaller questions I'd like some input/answers on.

This message will help me address such questions, get answers, and if other have similar questions, help those individuals as well.  I hope that people will contribute to this thread and use it as reference, if possible.

Please excuse any redundancies.  I want to know as much as possible, and if I overlap at any point and time, I'll update the body of this text.

Button Configurations
I know that there are Capcom and SNK style button configurations.  Anyone ever encounter variant (but still standard to a game or a combination of game) type of Button Configurations?

EDIT:
Sammy (Guilty Gear):
4 button configuration
Punch
Kick
Weak Slash
Hard Slash

SNK (King of Fighters, Garou: MotW):
4 button configuration
Weak Punch
Hard Punch
Weak Kick
Hard Kick

Capcom (Street Fighter, X-Men, Dark Stalkers)
6 button configuration
Weak Punch
Medium Punch
Hard Punch
Weak Punch
Medium Punch
Hard Punch

Types of Moves
Moves are typically broken down in three categories:
Normal Attacks - Normal attacks are activated by pressing a button or by pressing a button and a direction.
Special Attacks - Special attacks are activated by a combination of directions and by pressing a button or a series of buttons.
Super Attacks- Super attacks are activated by a complicated combination of directions and by pressing buttons.  These attacks also take away from the Power Bar

-ISMs, Grooves, and Styles

An -ISM, a Groove, or Style are all different ways of describing fundamentally same thing.

Styles
From what I know, a "style" of gameplay describes what game-type of playing style the character emulates.  

EDIT:
Chain combos, alpha counters, aerial raves are things that can make up the style of a fighting game.

A Combo is a series of moves that, when used in combination, effect a desired result.

A Chain Combos is a loose combo featured in the Marvel Vs series where you could combo most normals into each other creating a unique chain.
A Chain Combo is also a weaker attack that links to a stronger attack used in combination.  
Normally, SNK chains are usually very restrictive where as Capcom chains are not.

An Aerial Rave is an air combination where the opponent is launched into the air, allowing the attacker combo opportunities.  This type of attack is common to the Marvel VS series.

An Alpha Counter (named such from Street Fighter Alpha) is a reversal move activated during a block.  In Street Fighter Alpha, this occurs when the defender presses forward after blocking and uses the same strength punch and kick.  The defender's character will then counter the opponent's attack with an attack of his own, taking away a portion of his Power Bar.

But what makes one style different from another?  (i.e. What specificly  makes a SFII style different from a M:CotA style, or an Alpha style, or an SFIII style, or a CvS style?).  Which games are these "styles" associated with?

Grooves
What, precisely, are Grooves-- and what makes one Groove different from another?  Which games are they associated with?

EDIT:
Grooves are different Styles within the framework of the same game.

-ISMs
An -ISM is a different mode for a character.  Each -ISM changes the way the character plays-- adding new attacks, offering different power bar management and different damage values, while also disabling things like air blocking or recovery.

What, precicely, are ISMs-- and what makes one -ISM different from another?  Which games are they associated with?

Types
What, precisely, are Types-- and what makes one Type different from another?  Which games are they associated with?

Variant Characters
Are there other offical kinds of "variant" characters ("evil" kinds, or "gold" kinds, or "cyber" kinds), and which games are they associated with?

Guilty Gear has Gold, Ex, and Sp character variants.

If you think I've missed anything in this thread, feel free to add.

Thank you to Keitaro and Messatsu ichi san for contributing to this post so far.  If I could give you both Karma, I would.  :-[

QUESTION[/i]:
Are there more facets to styles than chain combos, alpha counters, and air raves?
Are there more variants available?
What do the GGX variable modes have as an advantage/disadvantage (i.e. what distingusihes them from the normal mode)?
Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 05:41:51 pm by Loona
Re:Fighting Game & Character Terminology used in MUGEN
#2  April 23, 2003, 09:09:56 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
Style has to do with what is standard for every character in a game.  Chain combos, alpha counters, aerial raves are things that can make up the style of a fighting game.  Essentially grooves are different styles since they have different options to select.

Guilty Gear/Sammy is typically 4 button(punch, kick, weak/hard slash)
KOF,Garou/SNK is typically 4 button(differs by game but are configured in a row, usually weak/hard punch and weak/hard kick)
Street Fighter/Capcom is typically 6 button(weak/medium/fierce punch, weak/medium/fierce kick)

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#3  April 24, 2003, 01:25:12 am
  • paraparapara paraparapara
    • pwp.netcabo.pt/Man_M
Chain combos: weak attack to strong attack,  punch -> kick combos
Aerial raves: air combos
Alpha Counter: in SFA, when you're blocking an attack, press fwd+same strngth p+k. There's a brief pause and then your character will counter the opponent's attack.

-ISMs: -ISMs are like different modes for the character, where each -ISM changes the way he plays, by giving him new attacks, different power bar management, different damage values, disabling things like air blocking or recovery, etc. At least that's the way it is in SFA3.
W3C approved
#4  April 24, 2003, 02:43:23 am
  • In after lock
Ism = Grooves = Style

Moves are typically broken down in three categories
Normal attacks: activated by button presses or by a button and a direction
Special attacks: activated by a combination of directions and button(s)
Super attacks: complicated combination of directions and buttons and take away from the power bar

SNK normal chains are usually really restrictive where Capcom chains are loose.

An aerial rave is a launcher combo common to the Marvel VS series.  Opponent launched into the air making for combo opportunities.

An alpha counter is a reversal move activated during a block that counters an opponents move and taking away a portion of the power bar.

Chain combos are loose combos featured in the Marvel Vs series where you could combo most normals into each other creating a unique chain.

The only game that I can think of that has variant characters is Guilty Gear (every character has a gold, ex, and sp mode).

#5  April 24, 2003, 06:43:49 am
  • The Mugen Warrior
Uhh, I think this goes in the General Discussion section.
#6  April 25, 2003, 10:14:46 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Dunno whether this applies to all Capcom games, but for SF and a few others there's:

Weak Punch - Jab
Medium Punch - Strong
Strong Punch - Fierce

Weak Kick - Short
Medium Kick - Forward
Strong Kick - Roundhouse

Not that it would matter. *shrugs*
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#7  April 30, 2003, 03:25:43 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
How about Tech Hits, Advancing Guard, Fatalities, Combo Breakers,
Just Defended?

The first ones where first in X-MvsSF (I think...?), and consist of reducing the damage of a throw done to you by pressing the same commands the throw was made with. World Heroes 2 had a "Throw Reversion", where you could actually throw the other char by performing this command as you were thrown. And some SNK games allowed you to reduce damge this way, though it was not called a "Tech hit".
Tech hits then became a sort of "Just Defended" moves, also.

Advancing guard is blocking and pushing the other char away wile doing so. It was first seen in X-MvsSF.

If you don't know what a Fatality is, you've probably been living under a rock for the last ten years. It's a death blow, made popular by MK in 1992. But MK wasn't the first game to have Death Blows, considering many older PC games.

Combo Breakers where introduced by Killer Instinct, and many Mugen chars have them... they stop your combo with a knockdown blow, or a special hit that stops you from continuing (MB-02 teleports behind you if your combo reaches 5 hits, and I think that would stil be a Combo breaker...).

"Just Defended" is what first started in SFA 3 (1998) as "Advanced Guard". Blocking in the last moment to reduce and the blocking time, reduce the amount of energy taken and give your time to counter the hit if you are fast enough. In GMotW (1999) "Just Defending" even increased the amount of energy you had.

That's about all I can think of so far.... will probably add more here later!
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#8  April 30, 2003, 06:59:22 pm
  • In after lock
You can reduce block damage in some* Capcom games by mashing while you block.  Stupid feature if you ask me.

Re:Fighting Game & Character Terminology
#9  May 03, 2004, 07:44:30 pm
Direction + attacks are commonly called Command moves, I think. It can add some variety when used wisely.
About combos, there was the "Textbook combo" in Justice Gakuen serie : any light attack->any heavy attack->any command move->any special move, sometimes -> super move. But it's rather specific to 3D games since some moves might hardly chain because of timing, physical restrictions...
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 07:51:17 pm by Byakko
#10  May 03, 2004, 07:51:52 pm
  • Idiots now days...
grooves are fighting styles and special bars that are used in capcom vs snk 1 and 2.

In CvS 1, there are only two kinds of grooves: Capcom and SNK

In CvS 2, however, there are 6 kinds of grooves: C. A. P. for capcom and S. N. K. for SNK groups

C grooves: Street fighter alpha's A-ism
A grooves: mix of SFA's V-ism and SF Ex2 plus's Excel
P grooves: Street Fighter 3
S grooves: KOF 95
N grooves: KOf 98 (i think ??)
K grooves: Samurai Shodown

EDIT: Just clarifying your post a bit - KFM
It seems that you have misconcepted me...
Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:47:53 pm by Kung Fu Man
#11  May 03, 2004, 07:55:05 pm
Groove = Ism anyway...
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#12  May 05, 2004, 12:19:22 pm
  • Pretending to know Japanese is stupid.
    • www.sevenhertz.net/
Don't forget SNK's Samurai Showdown series had a different button setup:
Light Slash
Med Slash
Hard Slash
Kick

And Last Blade had a different button setup:
Light Slash
Hard Slash
Kick
Parry

Also SNK uses combination of buttons for certain features
Light punch + Light Kick = Roll (Later Kof)
B + Light punch + Light Kick = Backwards Roll (Later Kof)
(Input these while blocking to do an "escape dodge", it costs a super)

Light Punch + Light Kick = Dodge (Early KOF)
(You could follow these up with a dodge attack but pressing punch after)

Hard Punch + Hard Kick = Knockdown attack (KOF)
(Can be done in the air too, and while blocking, that costs a super)

I'm not totally sure about these...
Overhead Attack (Samurai Showdown & Garou)
Combo Starter (Samurai Showdown 4)
T.O.P Attack (Garou)
Power Slash (Last Blade)
Check me out.

Naruto sucks.

The Necromancer

#13  May 05, 2004, 01:11:15 pm
Combo Terms:

Buffers:

Buffering, also known as "2-in-1's" is the most basic combo type, and it is the ability to cancel a normal move into a special or super move. It has been around for a very long time, and pretty much every modern 2D fighter has it.

To perform a buffer, you must first make some sort of contact with the opponent with your "bufferable" normal move. Upon making contact, you perform the special command while your opponent is still in the hitshake. (And as JJWE noted, this isn't true for certain games, such as KOF. You are able to cancel the special move even if your normal attack is whiffing.)

Chains:

Chaining is the ability to cancel a normal move to another normal move. It's one of the easiest possible ways to perform combos, and are what makes a character "button mashing" friendly.

There are different types of chains --

1. One type is known as the "Rapid Fire Weak" type, and only allows the weak punches/kicks to be able to chain into each other, simply by repeatedly pressing WP or WK.

2. Another commonly used chain type is the VS chain, which follows the sequence:

Weak --> Medium --> Strong
Punch --> Kick

In other words, if you have a 6 button setup, you can chain any of your punches to kicks of equal or greater strength, or kicks to punches of greater strength only. You may also perform "punch to punch" or "kick to kick" chains following the same weak to strong sequence.

3. Fixed Chains: Also known as "Dial Ups", these are chains that can follow only a particular sequence. Games such as Mortal Kombat 3 were based on this combo system.

4. Typing: -- (Term used for 3D fighting games. To be added...)

5. Strings: -- (Term used for 3D fighting games. To be added...)

Links:

A link is a sequence that is performed without any chaining or buffering. Basically, how a link works is that the first attack's animation has ended before the opponent has recovered, and allows you to follow it up with a 2nd attack. This relies much on timing, and are one of the most difficult combo types.

Jump-Ins: Many players tend to start their combos with a Jump-In. It's basically a jump attack that you perform on a grounded opponent that is low enough that when you land, you can hit the opponent yet again to continue the combo.

Cross Ups: -- (Sub type under Jump-Ins. To be added...)

OTGs: Meaning "Off the ground", is a combo type most widely used in the VS games. It's the ability to hit a downed-opponent off the ground, (usually after a combo) allowing you to perform another combo, which is typically an aerial rave.

Super Cancels -- (To be added...)

Juggles: -- (To be added...)

Floats: -- (Sub type under Juggles; term used for 3D fighting games. To be added...)

#14  May 05, 2004, 06:31:00 pm
  • P.S.S. = Psycho Soldier Syndrome
MK 2d games buttons.
HP High Punch
HK High Kick
LP Low Punch
LK Low Lick
+
B Block
R Run
-----

Variant Characters,
Kof, "Orochi", Iori, Leona, Yashiro, Chris, Shermie
Iori and Leona, could be also called Insane or Berserk (they are in there in their Riot of the Blood state), but usually are called Orochi

W.I.P. 5+% - Pallete extravaganza Stopped!
-----5101-5020-5030-5035- (5030-35/5191-5192)-----
#15  May 07, 2004, 04:07:14 pm
  • E-eto... Ara gami wa?
    • ngmc.retrogames.com
Don't forget SNK's Samurai Showdown series had a different button setup:

Samurai Shodown also had the setup of Light Slash, Medium Slash, Light Kick, Medium Kick. Then A + B for Hard Slash and C + D for Hard Kick.

AJC

#16  May 07, 2004, 07:59:55 pm
Guard crush/break: the act of breaking one's guard by (normally) constantly blocking attacks untill the guard gauge drains completely first game i seen this in was SFA3 also in the Capcom vs SNK games and SvC:MOTM and SvC:Chaos

guard crush attack: a attack that is completely unblockable in most normal circmstances
#17  June 12, 2004, 09:22:13 pm
  • Chicks dig me. (SDS Overfiend is the Gamertag)
    • wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html
Advancing guard is blocking and pushing the other char away wile doing so. It was first seen in X-MvsSF.
nope darkstalkers the year 1994
x-men versus sf 1996.
in darkstalker you have to rapidly push the buttons while guarding. ;)
i swear, Stupid muthafokkers exist all over this board!
Nonetheless Dickriders get all of the Attention!
Go Figure.
--------------
Yes online Gaming is important........ Who Else are you gonna practice on?
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html

Beta Kagetsura can still be found here.
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/Kagetsura.rar

OrochiKOF97

#18  June 12, 2004, 09:38:12 pm
Guard crush/break: the act of breaking one's guard by (normally) constantly blocking attacks untill the guard gauge drains completely first game i seen this in was SFA3 also in the Capcom vs SNK games and SvC:MOTM and SvC:Chaos

guard crush attack: a attack that is completely unblockable in most normal circmstances

Guard crush has been introduced earlier (it was already present in KOF'96)

Morda

#19  June 12, 2004, 10:00:42 pm
WeaponLord (1995) had guard crush and parries.
Re: Fighting Game & Character Terminology
#20  September 30, 2004, 07:27:48 pm
  • Son of a Mother*ucker
  • Mode Change... Mode 2!
    • Mexico
    • www.freewebs.com/fightingspiritsmexico/
IN CVS 2 The SNK Groves Were:

S - Original KOF Power Gauge System (Charge up the Bar using ABC, Lowering it with BC, Dodge Command Instead of Evasive Roll, Unlimited DM's and SDM's when Life was under 25%) It was Later Called Extra (Starting in 1997 If I'm not Mistaking)

N - Actual KOF Power Gauge System (Bar Charged Up with Attacks like Capcom's Games, Evasive Roll Unlimited DM'S and SDM's When You Pressed a certain Sequence -BC If I'm not mistaken- It had a certain Limit of time, In KOF '98 Also The power Bar Reduced a Bit after defeat, Making it Faster to Fullfill it and Added an Extra "Power Bomb") Originally Called Advanced (In same '97)

K - Rage Power Gauge System (SSIV Mode In this It was a little Power up for the Player when the bar was full, I used it a few times so I don't know very much of it I guess It allowed Ilimited DM and SDM When the gauge was full of Rage)

MOO

PONCHO

Clic on the Sign, then on The flags (U.S. 4 English talkers & MX 4 Spanish Talkers), then go to "Descargas/Downloads" And You're in the Downloads Section
#21  September 30, 2004, 07:48:13 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Thanks, we know that since the game release.
You have many errors in your post.

S: Charge with HK+HP.
Lower? hahaha, no.
Unlimited DM's with low life, Unlimited SDMS? you have to charge, an after using the bar, charge again, so no.

N: Ulimited DM's and SDM's? NO.
BC? Uh..you're aware that this is NOT MVS/Neogeo? (HK+HP, FYI)

K: groove is Samurai spirits..(doesn't matter which number..not only IV, that's silly)....AND Garou MotW...
Again, unlimited DM and SDM? NO.

Research before posting, avoid making useless posts.
#22  October 04, 2004, 04:01:44 am
  • Son of a Mother*ucker
  • Mode Change... Mode 2!
    • Mexico
    • www.freewebs.com/fightingspiritsmexico/
Research before posting, avoid making useless posts

My dear and very estimated MUG...

The Things I said Of The Grooves between Parenthesis were as they Appeared Originally, yet Thank you I've got to do several Corrections:

1.- In S Mode The SDM were Used Depleting the power bar +25% life left

2.- Thx for the K Mode

Moo
Poncho

Clic on the Sign, then on The flags (U.S. 4 English talkers & MX 4 Spanish Talkers), then go to "Descargas/Downloads" And You're in the Downloads Section
#23  January 27, 2005, 09:59:15 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
grooves are fighting styles and special bars that are used in capcom vs snk 1 and 2.

In CvS 1, there are only two kinds of grooves: Capcom and SNK

In CvS 2, however, there are 6 kinds of grooves: C. A. P. for capcom and S. N. K. for SNK groups

C grooves: Street fighter alpha's A-ism
A grooves: mix of SFA's V-ism and SF Ex2 plus's Excel
P grooves: Street Fighter 3
S grooves: KOF 95
N grooves: KOf 98 (i think ??)
K grooves: Samurai Shodown

Errrr, excuse me, guys... about this post, let me correct it some stuff about CVS2 grooves...

C grooves: better to say "Classic Capcom Mode" (not just SFA3 A-ism), 3 power bars to use as you well...
A grooves: SFA1&2 Auto Mode, SFA3 X-ism or SSF2T Mode... only a power bar to make SuperCombo/DM but it's like a Lvl3 power (or HSDM for KOF saga) and your hits hurts more :D
P grooves: SFA3 V-ism or SFA2 Custom Combo... HK+HP = a custom combo that reemplaced SuperCombos/DM
S grooves: KOF94-96 Mode, 97&98 Extra Mode... a power bar you can charge with 2 buttons (in CVS, in KOF are 3)
N grooves: KOF97&98 Advanced Mode, KOF99 and forward... the SNK answer to C groove XD
K grooves: Samurai Shodown/Spirits Mode (all saga) => the only one correct :P

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#24  January 27, 2005, 10:26:47 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Your so called "fixing" is incorrect.
#25  January 28, 2005, 05:41:11 am
    • Chile

Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#26  January 28, 2005, 06:17:36 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
What you "fixed" didn't made much of a difference to what has already been said ...  --;

Just because you played CvS2 and know the grooves very well doesn't mean you know them all ...
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#27  January 28, 2005, 06:34:35 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
When was the first time they started to use dizzy/stun?  Does anyone know this?  Or has it been around forever and I don't notice at all.
#28  January 28, 2005, 06:50:04 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Lets see:
C grooves: better to say "Classic Capcom Mode" (not just SFA3 A-ism), 3 power bars to use as you well...
"Classic"? No, that would be SF2...A or Z ism is Ok.

A grooves: SFA1&2 Auto Mode, SFA3 X-ism or SSF2T Mode... only a power bar to make SuperCombo/DM but it's like a Lvl3 power (or HSDM for KOF saga) and your hits hurts more :D
1. what the hel is auto mode?you mean V-ism or custom combo? X-ism like WHAT?
Lv3? haha, HSDM? in A groove?

P grooves: SFA3 V-ism or SFA2 Custom Combo... HK+HP = a custom combo that reemplaced SuperCombos/DM
Custom combo in P groove? replaced super combos?!
Are you sure you're playing CvS?

You give ZERO INFO about rolls, dodge, tactical recovery, run, damage ratio.
HIDEOUS FIXING.

Should i review the SNK grooves as well?

Edit: Whatever!

S grooves: KOF94-96 Mode, 97&98 Extra Mode... a power bar you can charge with 2 buttons (in CVS, in KOF are 3)
How about checking other posts? Already mentioned.

N grooves: KOF97&98 Advanced Mode, KOF99 and forward... the SNK answer to C groove XD
You HAVE to be kidding me.
KoF99 with N groove? AHAHA, what about the red life in '99? 2K can't use stocks for power up, same for 2k1, 2K2... close, 2K3..NO.

K grooves: Samurai Shodown/Spirits Mode (all saga) => the only one correct
Same as S groove.
Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 07:05:11 am by Walter~Mercado
#29  January 28, 2005, 06:52:29 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
yes.
#30  January 28, 2005, 04:17:21 pm
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
I originally was going to say all that but my connection broke and I lost what i typed ... =(
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#31  January 28, 2005, 05:16:56 pm
  • Death From Above
Here is some crap from Killer Instinct.

No Mercy: Killer Instinct version of Mortal Kombats Fatality.

Humiliation:
A Humiliation is a move which humiliates the other player by forceing them to dance to dumb music.

Last Breath:
When a char is about to have a No Mercy done to them if they mash buttons and spin the joy stick fast enuf it will give you a little bit of life back and the fight contunes. If you are hit onece by any move even if you block you will die.  It also powers you up.

Ultimite Combo: A combo ending in the chars No Mercy.

Ultra Combo: Alot like Mortal Kombats Butality. When your opponet is at low life you could finish them of with a huge combo. The things that make it diffrent the the Burtality is that you must be in a combo to do it. Insted of a long combo its done like a supper move.
#32  January 29, 2005, 01:41:01 am
    • Chile
Errrr, excuse me, guys... about this post, let me correct it some stuff about CVS2 grooves...

In which part I said to aport extra information or something different of you said before in this post?? Or when I said I post ALL info about CVS2 grooves??

I like SOME guild people --; very spicy to say things like that able to ruin intentions of a gamer who only wants to enter in this thread...

Whatever, my post don't care to YOU because is 0 aport... let's continue the thread, I don't wanna say about this anymore... :shifty:

#33  January 29, 2005, 02:09:37 am
  • In after lock

Yes?? I want to know why... I played CVS2 and I know those grooves very well...
Very well?  I don't even own this game.  I actually know more from playing W3's characters than the actual game. :D

Classic?  It's more like a toned down version of MvC1 DC super canceling fit to the other modes.

A grooves: SFA1&2 Auto Mode, SFA3 X-ism or SSF2T Mode... only a power bar to make SuperCombo/DM but it's like a Lvl3 power (or HSDM for KOF saga) and your hits hurts more
A groove is V-ism without the clone + level one supers to break out of the CC mode.  I don't even know what you mean by "Auto Mode".  And it isn't even close to SF2 --;

Not even close.  P groove = Parry.  Parry == SF3.

#34  January 29, 2005, 02:25:36 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
The bit about K groove left out a mention of Just Defense - blocking an attack at the last possible moment gives you back some life and some power.
Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 04:52:52 am by Leon Belmont
#35  January 29, 2005, 04:54:00 am
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
When was the first time they started to use dizzy/stun?  Does anyone know this?  Or has it been around forever and I don't notice at all.

It first appeared in SNK's Street Smart as far as I remember... but it wasn't as visable as StreetFighter II's with the overhead spinning birds etc, etc...
#36  January 29, 2005, 07:17:52 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
In which part I said to aport extra information or something different of you said before in this post??
(read....waste of pace & trying to show up)

Whatever, my post don't care to YOU because is 0 aport... let's continue the thread, I don't wanna say about this anymore... :shifty:
And still, you cared about my opinion ;) thanks ;)

Yes?? I want to know why... I played CVS2 and I know those grooves very well...

Anyways, i think this is just a waste of time, we can, easily, copy and paste, whatever info from any faq, it would be better to keep submissions about unique stuff.
#37  February 26, 2005, 03:46:19 am
Capcom (Street Fighter, X-Men, Dark Stalkers)
6 button configuration
Weak Punch
Medium Punch
Hard Punch
Weak Punch
Medium Punch
Hard Punch

no kick?  ???

psicoso

#38  February 26, 2005, 07:36:37 am

No one caught that?  Wow, what a bunch of dumbasses... :dunce2:*  Also, it should (could?) read as follows:

punches -- Jab - Strong - Fierce
kicks -- Short - Forward - Roundhouse

*Yes, me too, even if I hardly ever look at this topic.
#39  March 15, 2005, 05:04:04 am
Just a bunch of corrections:
(Keep in mind this is all related to Capcom, unsure about SNK)

The stuff about mashing while blocking in Capcom games to reduce damage is garbage.  Some capcom games have "pushblock", where while blocking, and in blockstun, you can press three punches and forward to push the enemy away.

Blockstun is a temporary state a character is put into after a blocked attack, where they cannot be thrown, and are generally immobile. 

Tech hits were first introduced in Super Turbo.  You input a throw command just after the opponent inputs it, and you get reduced damage from the throw, AND you do not get knocked down.  In some Capcom games, (CVS2 for example), both characters back away from each other on a succesful tech hit, and no damage is introduced on either side. 

ADDON to k49Demon's excellent post:

Crossup:  When a character jumps over the opponent with an attack, that hits the characters hitbox on the opposite side of the starting animation of the jump.  Ken's crossup jumping Forward is a good example in A3.

OTG is not "Off the ground", it's "On the ground", a common misconception.  It basically means that a character can be attacked AFTER a knockdown, while the character is still in the "lying down" animation.  Even though it IS common in the VS games,  Alpha 3 has it in the form of VC--> Command throw. (Gief, Sodom, Karin, Juni, etc.)
So does Third Strike (Ryu throws dudley, --> shin shoryuken)

Superjump: In the VS series, a much higher jump than normal, performed by pressing "d, u" rapidly.

Superjump cancels:  Where the animation of a superjump is interrupted by something else, most commonly an airdash.  Mostly used as a confusion tactic.(Eg. MVC2, Magneto Superjumps, immediately cancels into a df, airdash + hk, ie. a Triangle Jump)

Juggle:   After the opponent is knocked into the air, a followup attack can be performed.
#40  October 09, 2005, 01:53:10 am
  • Chicks dig me. (SDS Overfiend is the Gamertag)
    • wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html
well can someone explain "burst" in Guilty Gear.

BTW Was command throw ever mentioned? example zangief spinning piledriver.
imputting a motion for a throw.

i swear, Stupid muthafokkers exist all over this board!
Nonetheless Dickriders get all of the Attention!
Go Figure.
--------------
Yes online Gaming is important........ Who Else are you gonna practice on?
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html

Beta Kagetsura can still be found here.
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/Kagetsura.rar
Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 01:55:35 am by Al Duece
#41  October 20, 2005, 02:55:00 am
  • I love this pic XD
    • www.furnation.com/foxphoenix
Here's some more famous button configs I haven't seen here.

Virtua Fighter
Punch
Kick
Block
Most throws by pressing punch and block

Most characters had a fixed combo string you could "type" in your controller way before the character ended it. Mostly used was three punches followed by a roundhouse kick.

Tekken
Left Punch
Right Punch
Left Kick
Right Kick
Throws mostly on punch+kick combinations
Combos with 'type" commands. You could add most of the commands even before reaching that command's part of the combo.

Soul calibur
Horizontal Slash
Vertical Slash
Kick
Guard
Throws with either Horizontal Slash+Guard or Vertical Slash+Guard

Parries on Soul Calibur (at least sc2) fwd+Guard parries high bound attacks and pushes your enemy back. Back+guard parries low bound attacks and puts your enemy on a longer pause and at your side, giving more reaction time. This parry can also be used against throws.

As a note. On Soul Edge, there was a combo for each character that took half the "durability" of a weapon. If my memory serves me right, it was done in two strings of attacks using a simple two button command for the first three or four hits, followed by a more complex controller motion command you must input before the first string ends.

I want to talk about another game. Eternal Champions for Sega CD and 32X. But I dont have much info on it. I know there are two types of stage death. One called Vendetta I think. Can someone add this to the list?
Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:58:07 am by Foxphoenix
#42  October 21, 2005, 04:55:09 pm
    • www.geocities.com/stakremix/
I want to talk about another game. Eternal Champions for Sega CD and 32X. But I dont have much info on it. I know there are two types of stage death. One called Vendetta I think. Can someone add this to the list?

Ah, Eternal Champions. The memories. I only had the first one, but there were actually two games if I remember correctly, one for Sega Genesis/Megadrive, and one for Sega CD that was far more violent, known as Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside. Here are the ways you could finish your opponent in this game:

Sudden Death - the only fatality-style move common to both games (and the only one to appear in the Genesis/Megadrive vesion of the game). Sudden Deaths are like the stage fatalities from Mortal Kombat in that they are specific to the level you're fighting on. They were activated by KO'ing the opponent on a specific spot on the level. Challenge From the Darkside Sudden Deaths were a lot more violent than the original ones.

Overkill - the other "stage fatality", Overkills were more difficult to pull off, but were much more brutal than Sudden Deaths. In fact, if Eternal Champions were released today, there's no way some of these Overkills wouldn't be the target of Jack Thompson and his ilk.

Vendetta - the normal "fatalities" that are specific to each character. For example, Larcen gets stabby, Midknight drains the lifeforce of his opponent, and so on.

Cinekill - notoriously hard to do, but worth it because it's possible to do at any time your opponent's health bar is at less than 50%. The effect of the Cinekill is different for each character it happens to; each character dies a different death, and they range from the brutal (Shadow taking a throwing star to the forehead) to the comical (Ramses being turned into a scarab, which is then stepped on, if I remember correctly)

As a special treat, here's a link to a site where you can see all four finishing sequences for all the characters in Challenge From the Darkside! But be warned, the animations are not particularly work-safe, and some of these are DEFINITELY not for the weak of heart or stomach. Dawson's Tree Spike and Midknight's The Long Fall are ESPECIALLY gruesome and I cannot recommend viewing them at all if you have recently eaten or plan on eating ever again. Here is the link: http://www.whipassgaming.com/genesisreviews/eternalchamp_demo.htm
#43  November 07, 2005, 01:49:59 pm
Just one thing to mention. Guilty Gear XX's  button config is:
Punch
Kick
Slash
Heavy Slash
Dust
In Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear X there was no dust button.
Someone should probably make mention of Counter Hits. I would, but, seeing as how Guilty Gear XX is the only fighting game I've played, I'm not sure how Counter hits work on other games. Basically, hitting an opponent while they're attacking, or in some cases, when the opponent is still in a lag causes a counter hit. The most common effect that a counter hit does is cause more hit stun on the opponent, though it varies.Sometimes an attack would knock down that would otherwise not, while others don't allow tech hits/air recovery if a particular fighting game has such things. In GGXX, the typical effects are longer hit stun, slip recovery(a special effect in which the opponent is shaken for several seconds unless the opponent mashes out), and higher dizzy modification.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with a tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kari rock! I need scissors, 61! - Colenel Campbell, Metal Gear Solid 2
Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 01:58:24 pm by ShinQuickMan
#44  November 07, 2005, 03:22:24 pm
  • Bishōnen looking for flowers.
you forgot memory and the taunt.
#45  November 08, 2005, 03:27:12 am
  • In after lock
Memory isn't in the arcade. :o

#46  November 08, 2005, 05:32:27 pm
Well, no one seems to make mention of the taunt button for other games, so I decided not to put it there. Also, I wouldn't include short-cut keys or keys exclusive to the console version as part of the button config.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with a tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kari rock! I need scissors, 61! - Colenel Campbell, Metal Gear Solid 2
#47  February 04, 2006, 10:32:21 pm
well can someone explain "burst" in Guilty Gear.

BTW Was command throw ever mentioned? example zangief spinning piledriver.
imputting a motion for a throw.

In Guilty Gear you have gauge (that says Burst) that fills up as you get hit.. You might get it once a round if you use it early in the first.

Anyways, when it fills you may use a "burst". You can burst at two points.

Blue Burst(Point 1): When you're in block or hit stun, as well as a knockdown or falling state, you can hit Dust and any other button. The character rises from the ground a short distance(Invincible to everything but air throws -- which is really impressive to do to someone while they burst). A "burst" of blue energy expands from them maybe about a character length or two and knocks the opponent down and away if it hits. This can be used to break combos, get out of pressure or get off the ground "safer"(It actually a stupid thing to do but you can do it).

If the burst falls the character falls back down and is vulnderable while falling and for I think a few frames after landing.

Gold Burst(any time you're just standing around): This burst takes only 3/4ths of the guage(though it still has to be full to use it) and functions fundementally the same only the burst is gold in color and if it hits you get a full bar of "tension" or super meter. It also grants full invincibility while falling, but I does not protect you from the landing cool down.

Thats about it in a nutshell.
#48  February 09, 2006, 10:53:46 pm
  • I love Yuri! HOCHI KOCHI!!
SNK have gone 6-button with KoFmaximum impact
#49  February 11, 2006, 06:16:56 am
  • nya~
Would a character like May Lee from kof's Hero Mode and Normal mode be considered an ism?
And what about angel?
Or is her cancellability just really high?

thats all I have..
#50  February 13, 2006, 09:07:56 pm
  • I love Yuri! HOCHI KOCHI!!
Turtler: A person who does barely any attacking

Shoto scrub: A player who only uses Ryu, Ken, Sakura and Dan (SF cseries)

Happy parrier: Someone who parries a lot (SF3)

Button Basher: someon who bashes buttons in attempt to win.
#51  May 08, 2006, 06:39:16 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
Looking over this topic, I've noticed a number of missing entries that could prove informative, so...

--KOF--

MAX Activation: An ability exclusive to the KOF series, where your character enters a glowing state.  This allows you to use a desperation move without consuming a portion of your gauge.  The use of powered-up DMs also becomes possible.

Fallbreaker/Safe Landing/Ukemi: A technique that makes your character roll (rather than fall) upon meeting the ground.  This is deemed a ground escape in the MvC series.

Knockdown Attack: This can be performed both standing & jumping, & is generally a long range, single strike that knocks your opponent off their feet.

Body Toss Escape: Similar to Capcom's Tech Hit, in that it allows you to avoid getting thrown.  However, you don't receive the damage reduction.

Provocation/Chouhatsu: ie. taunt.

High Jump: Not to be confused with a super jump, this causes your fighter to jump slightly higher than normal.  Note: This technique is also present in Capcom's Warzard.

Emergency Evasion: This causes your character to perform a quick roll (while standing) in the direction you hold.

Guard Cancel Knockdown: A knockdown performed the instant you block an attack.

Guard Cancel Emergency Evasion: A quick roll done the instant you block an attack.

--Darkstalkers--

Raging Wave Rush: This is simply a fancy term for the chain combos done by pressing basic attacks in light, medium, hard order.

Pursuit/Follow-Up Attack: This executes a quick downward strike on a fallen opponent.  This ability is available in Wazard, as well.

--Warzard/Red Earth--

Ultimate Guard: This technique completely defends against all basics, specials, & combos.  However, it's useless against throws.

Ultimate Counter: A counter attack done while Ultimate Guard is in effect.

--SF3--

Parry/Guard Cancel: This moves your character forward the instant you guard your opponent's attack, which leaves them wide open.

Leap Attack: This performs an attack right out of a crouching, defensive position.

Quick Standing: This makes your character stand right back up the moment you hit the ground from a fall.

--Guilty Gear--

Ichigeki Hissatsu: This is Guilty Gear's infamous one-hit kill maneuver.  Note: It can be countered.

Dead Anger Attack: If you block an attack the instant it connects, the screen will fade red, allowing for the use of your one-hit kill move (specified above).

Flawless Defense: This causes your character to gradually lose super gauge energy, but take no guard damage.

--Misc--

Wrap Around: A technique used solely by Ingrid in CFJ, which causes her to somersault & avoid attacks.  IMO, this is much too similar to an Ukemi.

Corner Combos: These are rather self-explanatory, & most prominent in the later installments of the MK series.  Often times, these combos are suggested for use in corners, as they rely heavily on juggling.

Snap Back: This executes a short-range attack that knocks your foe off screen & brings in one of their partners (depending on the button used).  Note: Only found in MvC2.

EDIT: My mistake...but thank you, Phantom. :omg:
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 06:53:32 am by Mature4evr
#52  May 08, 2006, 06:42:19 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#53  June 23, 2006, 10:11:40 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
--KOF--

MAX Activation: An ability exclusive to the KOF series, where your character enters a glowing state.  This allows you to use a desperation move without consuming a portion of your gauge.  The use of powered-up DMs also becomes possible.

Fallbreaker/Safe Landing/Ukemi: A technique that makes your character roll (rather than fall) upon meeting the ground.  This is deemed a ground escape in the MvC series.

max activation varies a lot in kof, in 2k it can hit and juggle oponents, in 2002 youc an perform it while hitting with basic or adv attacks, at the cost of one extra stock, but allowing you for better combos, let's not mention it's effects, that change even more.

safe landing in kof 11 has a variant in which you can roll forward.
#54  August 01, 2006, 03:17:50 am
  • Boobs.
    • www.sevenhertz.net
Super Smash Brothers

A - Attack
B - Special Attack
X or Y - Jump (C buttons in the original N64 version)
R Trigger - Shield(Hold) and Throw(Tap)

BTW, can anyone explain the term Tiger Knee to me?  I've heard it used as a general term but I'm not sure what kind of properties it describes about certain moves.

#55  August 08, 2006, 07:07:27 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
BTW, can anyone explain the term Tiger Knee to me?  I've heard it used as a general term but I'm not sure what kind of properties it describes about certain moves.

Well, to be frank, it doesn't involve any specific move, at all.  From what I've read, the term "tiger knee" describes a condition where certain aerial moves can be performed while still grounded.  Generally, this is achieved by entering the attack motion, immediately followed by up + whatever button the move uses.  FYI, one site gave Sagat's classic special (go figure), as an example of this.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:13:40 am by Mature4evr
#56  August 08, 2006, 03:20:19 pm
    • Peru
I would take "Tigger Knee" term as D,DF,F,UF motion.
It like saying "Hadouken + Kick" which sounds weird, but you can actually figure the move is D,DF,F+K

9mm

#57  October 09, 2006, 11:59:50 pm
BTW, can anyone explain the term Tiger Knee to me?  I've heard it used as a general term but I'm not sure what kind of properties it describes about certain moves.
Its DB, D, DF, F, FU+ attack, the original motion for Joe's Tiger knee...
Old Internet Joke:
Q. How do you shut up a new guy?
A. Use the Search button, the answer has already been posted.
#58  May 17, 2007, 12:51:56 am
Are there any advantages of Charge up moves as opposed to Command? Like, why should I choose Guile instead of Ryu?
#59  May 17, 2007, 01:54:55 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
only if you are command short cutting, but since char that have charge moves normally also have cahrge super it is not that useful.
#60  June 04, 2007, 06:21:32 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
There are still many reasons one may want to use guile instead of ryu though  ;P if you're asking what could be better learn to fap to the light punch sonic boom in CE ^^

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#61  June 04, 2007, 06:48:40 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Yes, move priorities and recovery times are very different.
After a Sonic boom you can walk and hit an opponent for a combo, after a hadouken you can't.
#62  June 04, 2007, 07:54:18 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
and whens the last time you saw a hadouken tick throw?

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me

Hax

#63  July 17, 2007, 07:34:00 am
Have you tried

Bleach DS 2nd: (its in japs though but its cool)

Y=light atk
X=Mid atk
A=Heavy atk
B=dash

L=Block
R=move up/down from the background <-- this move reminds me of the classic fatal fury

(Y+X)=Cancel
(A+B)=throw

i can make an terrific air ravage with super combo  ;)
and ichigos bankai !!!!  :o
i love this game!
#64  August 15, 2007, 05:28:37 pm
  • Mysterio! Do the Hustle!!!!
Hyper Combo = really random complicated move which is impossibly hard to pull off against cheap A.I.s and aggressive players

FYI, it's a coyote... not a wolf f00! :Mr-T:
*Orton Poses*
\_O__/
#65  January 04, 2008, 06:59:25 pm
  • Kyosuke + Ky Kiske = Kensuke?
^?

No.

Unless you are playing KI

~Ultimate Kensuke of the True Lightning~

Real Bout High School Battle

Coming.....soon....
#66  July 28, 2008, 10:39:58 pm
  • :)
    • www.freewebs.com/mvcsnk/
^?
No.
Unless you are playing KI
But then it would be an Ultra Combo. Hyper Combo is just what the announcer says whenever you have a combo of certain length.
Adding on to isms...
Isms are specificlly attributed to SFA3. They're hidden isms in Hyper Street Fighter Alpha (Arrange version of SFA3), but I'll just mention the normal ones.
A-ism (Z-ism in Japan), has the super meter divided into 3, allowing a weak, medium and strong version of supers. A-ism also allows air block, Alpha Counters, rolling recovery and taunts. Most supers are availible only in A-ism.
X-ism, is based off Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Known as Super Street Fighter 2 X, hence X-ism). You deal more damage and take less damage than in A-ism. No air block, taunts (except Dan), rolling or Alpha counters. You have one big bar, with one super that deals the same amount of damage as it's LVL 3 A-ism counterpart. Dhalsim and Cody are the only 2 characters with more than 1 X-ism super. Everyone else has only 1 super to choose from. Some characters have different properties in X-ism (Ryu can combo his weak attacks ala SF2).
V-ism is the last normal ism. You deal less damage and take more damage than A-ism. You have no supers, but you have a Custom Combo (Varible Combo in Japan, hence the V). Custom Combo activates a mode where there's "shadow duplicates" of your character mimicking your actions. The last one is a different color, which is the one that deals damage. It's basiclly another one of you (Fire a Hadouken as Ryu, and the last shadow will also fire a Hadouken). It fills the fastest. Press a punch and Kick button of the same strength to activate it. Depending on the strength of the 2 buttons affects the shadow's placement. LP+LK puts the shadow so close together that each hit basiclly equals 2. HP+HK is far apart, better set for cross ups and set-ups.
Now, to explain what "arrange" is as a fighting game term.
Arrange is basiclly a special version of a fighting game that allows you to mix and match the characters from their apperence.
In short, an arrange game allows you to fight a character's version from the first game against another character's version from the third game.
Specificlly, Hyper Street Fighter Alpha allows you to have Ryu as he was in Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold fight Sagat as he was on Street Fighter Alpha 3. These arrange games sometimes add other modes to them.
Arrange Fighting Games (That I know of):
Hyper Street Fighter Alpha:On SFA Anthology on the PS2 (Get endings in all games, including SFA3U and SFA2G, but not Pocket Fighter)
Hyper Street Fighter 2:Arcade and on Xbox and PS2 as Street Fighter Aniverssary collection (Xbox version backwards compatible on 360)
Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service:On DC (Mail order only), ported to PSP as Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower.
Vampire - Darkstalkers Collection:Japan only for PS2 (has all the games, but also arrange versions of some of them).
Mortal Kombat Trilogy:On N64, PSX, Saturn and PC. Also for Game.com, but not the same.
Fighting Game shortcuts:
SSF2T=Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
SF2=Street Fighter 2
SF2T=Street Fighter 2 Turbo
SF:CE=Street Fighter:Champion Edition
SSF2=Super Street Fighter 2
SF3=Street Fighter 3
SF3:TS=Street Fighter 3:Third Strike
SF3:SI=Street Fighter 3:Second Impact
SFA=Street Fighter Alpha
SFZ=Street Fighter Zero (Japanese SFA)
SSF2X=Super Street Fighter 2 X (Japanese SSF2T)
Super Turbo=(see SSF2T)
SFA3=Street Fighter Alpha 3
SFA3U=Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper
DS=Darkstalkers
VS=Vampire Savior (Japanese DS, also names for later DS games)
GG=Guilty Gear
DP=Dragon Punch (Moves that use the F, D, DF motion or a character's move that's similar to Ryu/Ken/Gouki's Shoryuken, which was called Dragon Punch in early SF translations)
HK=Hard/"heavy"/"high" Kick
MP=Medium/"middle" Punch
LP=Light/"low" Punch
LK=Light/"low" kick
HP=Hard/"heavy"/'high" Punch (Sometimes referred as health, better used for RPGs.)
MK=Medium/"middle" Kick (Also can refer to Mortal Kombat Series)
CVS=Capcom VS SNK (can refer to series)
MVC (Also MvC)=Marvel VS. Capcom (Can refer to series, including MSH VS SF and XM VS SF)
XM VS SF=X-men VS. Street Fighter
MSH VS SF=Marvel Super Heroes VS. Street Fighter
KOF=King of Fighters (Can refer to series)
KOF 2k...=King of Fighters games at/after KOF 2000 (list is KOF2k, KOF2k1, KOF2k2 and KOF2k3)
SVC=Snk VS. Capcom (Can refer to same series as CVS)
SVC:C=SNK VS. Capcom:Chaos (SVC can also refer to this)
UMK3=Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
SSB=Super Smash Bros. (Can refer to series)
KO=Knock Out (When a character has lost all their health)
VF=Virtua Fighter (Can refer to series)
DOA=Dead or Aive (Can refer to Fighting Game Series)
FF=Fatal Fury (Can also refer to series)
RBFF=Real Bout Fatal Fury (Can also refer to series)
SC=Super Cancel (As in CVS/SVC:C/KOFXI/SF3, also can refer to Soul Calibur Series)
#67  September 13, 2008, 06:17:13 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
STOP POSTING
Last post, 6 years ago.
#68  July 29, 2015, 11:45:54 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#69  July 29, 2015, 04:43:51 pm
    • Peru
That's interesting. I've seen a lot of really good people go down on tournaments just because of nerves. In my first evo (2013) I performed really poorly in SSF4AE2012; I was really nervous, I underestimated a pad player and in the losers bracket of my pool I was completeley clueless, demotivated. I only won 1 set, so I didn't get too far.

In 2014 I did far better because I focused on some of the stuff I read in that doc, like acknowledging my opponent was nervous too. That helped me and I almost got out of my pool (I lost the losers finals), so I think I performed better.

And I'll post this here since it can be really helpful:
#70  August 10, 2015, 04:34:53 pm
i've been watching GG tournaments lately and i hear the commentators say a couple of words that i don't understand:
Ukumi (not Okizeme because they say it too and i know what it means), Mappa, and Respect; as in "he needs to either respect <move name> or get out of the way"
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#71  August 10, 2015, 04:44:54 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If you mean Ukemi that's recovery tech when you're hit in the air.
Mappa = SLayer's 236P/236K special
Respect = To attempt to defend  a move rather than counter it.  If Sol is headed straight for you with a Fafnir and you choose to try to IB it rather than poke him out of it, that's respecting the move.
#72  August 10, 2015, 07:36:37 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
respect is a bit more abstract than just blocking; it involves picking the "right" options in certain situations(mixups, wakeup, etc). so a lack of respect would mean picking the "wrong" option that gives you random dps, hail mary supers, because the player wasnt respecting the potential risk of not doing the "right" thing

the "right" thing to do being of course blocking
#73  August 10, 2015, 07:58:40 pm
how do you respect command throws then?
#74  August 10, 2015, 08:05:35 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
by jumping.
#75  August 10, 2015, 08:24:46 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
#76  September 12, 2015, 05:44:35 am
fuzzy guard?
#77  September 12, 2015, 06:03:58 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
When your hurtbox while crouching is actually the same size as your standing hurtbox; this happens when you are hit by a jump-in while standing and crouch right after, your hurtbox is still the size of your standing hurtbox for a few frames after blocking the initial attack, this is called fuzzy guard.

Fuzzy guard breaking is when you execute an instant overhead immediately after a jump in, because it has a higher chance of hitting someone if they block low after blocking high, because their hurtbox is still the same size as their standing one even while crouching.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#78  September 12, 2015, 07:56:34 am
Also of note, fuzzy guard has a second definition that's more commonly found in (but not exclusive to) 3D fighters. It's a technique to defend yourself from an opponent's mixups. Whether it's a low-mid mixup, mid attack-throw mixup, hop attack-crouch B mixup (KoF), etc.

Whlie they both use the same term, they're different things. But it's pretty easy to figure out the context in which the term is being used depending on the game.
Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:00:29 am by Niitris
#79  September 12, 2015, 01:59:05 pm
thanks alot both ya's
Fuzzy guard breaking is when you execute an instant overhead immediately after a jump in, because it has a higher chance of hitting someone if they block low after blocking high, because their hurtbox is still the same size as their standing one even while crouching.
so let me see if understood this currently: you exploit the overhead property of being unblockable on crouch coupled with the hitbox delay, which makes the overhead hit even if it seems like it didn't reach the opponent.
#80  September 14, 2015, 05:50:14 am
    • Peru
Exactly. One example of this is Adon's Jumping (vertical) HK. People normally performs falling HK, jumping HK.
#81  September 14, 2015, 06:07:09 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
also , it seems to be a sf4 only thing/glitch (maybe umvc3 too).
#82  September 14, 2015, 09:38:39 pm
    • Peru
Nope, at least I know it's present in Melty Bood too.
#83  September 14, 2015, 10:05:30 pm
Instant overheads, yeah they're present in ArcSys fighters too.
#84  September 14, 2015, 11:50:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
not "instant" overheads, but the fuzzy guard thing. "instant" oerheads are present in any game that has jumping attacks, lol.
#85  September 15, 2015, 12:22:37 am
Ack, I was trying too hard to use different terms but yeah, they have fuzzy.

Should also mention that Mortal Kombat also has fuzzy guard as found in 3D fighters. MK uses strings of course so it makes sense.
#86  September 15, 2015, 12:40:24 am
also , it seems to be a sf4 only thing/glitch (maybe umvc3 too).
yeah thats the cool thing about glitches in fighting games, they don't necessarily deter the game but they're more likely to became part of the gameplay once they're figured out and exploited.
kara throws and plinking are both glitches iirc but they're heavily used as a gameplay mechanic of their games.
#87  September 15, 2015, 03:28:27 am
    • Peru
Kara Trhrows -at least in SFIV- don't account as glitches... they were a completely intentional feature (they already existed in 3s). For plinking, you can say it's a glitch in SFIV, but not in SFxT or SFV since -again- they were intentionally implemented.
#88  September 15, 2015, 03:47:54 am
i was referring to 3S when i said Kara Throws yeah. i guess i should've said "of their respectful games."