YesNoOk

Fighting Game & Character Terminology (Read 609983 times)

Started by Die Giant Monster, April 23, 2003, 08:52:15 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Fighting Game & Character Terminology
#61  June 04, 2007, 06:48:40 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Yes, move priorities and recovery times are very different.
After a Sonic boom you can walk and hit an opponent for a combo, after a hadouken you can't.
#62  June 04, 2007, 07:54:18 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
and whens the last time you saw a hadouken tick throw?

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me

Hax

#63  July 17, 2007, 07:34:00 am
Have you tried

Bleach DS 2nd: (its in japs though but its cool)

Y=light atk
X=Mid atk
A=Heavy atk
B=dash

L=Block
R=move up/down from the background <-- this move reminds me of the classic fatal fury

(Y+X)=Cancel
(A+B)=throw

i can make an terrific air ravage with super combo  ;)
and ichigos bankai !!!!  :o
i love this game!
#64  August 15, 2007, 05:28:37 pm
  • Mysterio! Do the Hustle!!!!
Hyper Combo = really random complicated move which is impossibly hard to pull off against cheap A.I.s and aggressive players

FYI, it's a coyote... not a wolf f00! :Mr-T:
*Orton Poses*
\_O__/
#65  January 04, 2008, 06:59:25 pm
  • Kyosuke + Ky Kiske = Kensuke?
^?

No.

Unless you are playing KI

~Ultimate Kensuke of the True Lightning~

Real Bout High School Battle

Coming.....soon....
#66  July 28, 2008, 10:39:58 pm
  • :)
    • www.freewebs.com/mvcsnk/
^?
No.
Unless you are playing KI
But then it would be an Ultra Combo. Hyper Combo is just what the announcer says whenever you have a combo of certain length.
Adding on to isms...
Isms are specificlly attributed to SFA3. They're hidden isms in Hyper Street Fighter Alpha (Arrange version of SFA3), but I'll just mention the normal ones.
A-ism (Z-ism in Japan), has the super meter divided into 3, allowing a weak, medium and strong version of supers. A-ism also allows air block, Alpha Counters, rolling recovery and taunts. Most supers are availible only in A-ism.
X-ism, is based off Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Known as Super Street Fighter 2 X, hence X-ism). You deal more damage and take less damage than in A-ism. No air block, taunts (except Dan), rolling or Alpha counters. You have one big bar, with one super that deals the same amount of damage as it's LVL 3 A-ism counterpart. Dhalsim and Cody are the only 2 characters with more than 1 X-ism super. Everyone else has only 1 super to choose from. Some characters have different properties in X-ism (Ryu can combo his weak attacks ala SF2).
V-ism is the last normal ism. You deal less damage and take more damage than A-ism. You have no supers, but you have a Custom Combo (Varible Combo in Japan, hence the V). Custom Combo activates a mode where there's "shadow duplicates" of your character mimicking your actions. The last one is a different color, which is the one that deals damage. It's basiclly another one of you (Fire a Hadouken as Ryu, and the last shadow will also fire a Hadouken). It fills the fastest. Press a punch and Kick button of the same strength to activate it. Depending on the strength of the 2 buttons affects the shadow's placement. LP+LK puts the shadow so close together that each hit basiclly equals 2. HP+HK is far apart, better set for cross ups and set-ups.
Now, to explain what "arrange" is as a fighting game term.
Arrange is basiclly a special version of a fighting game that allows you to mix and match the characters from their apperence.
In short, an arrange game allows you to fight a character's version from the first game against another character's version from the third game.
Specificlly, Hyper Street Fighter Alpha allows you to have Ryu as he was in Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold fight Sagat as he was on Street Fighter Alpha 3. These arrange games sometimes add other modes to them.
Arrange Fighting Games (That I know of):
Hyper Street Fighter Alpha:On SFA Anthology on the PS2 (Get endings in all games, including SFA3U and SFA2G, but not Pocket Fighter)
Hyper Street Fighter 2:Arcade and on Xbox and PS2 as Street Fighter Aniverssary collection (Xbox version backwards compatible on 360)
Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service:On DC (Mail order only), ported to PSP as Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower.
Vampire - Darkstalkers Collection:Japan only for PS2 (has all the games, but also arrange versions of some of them).
Mortal Kombat Trilogy:On N64, PSX, Saturn and PC. Also for Game.com, but not the same.
Fighting Game shortcuts:
SSF2T=Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
SF2=Street Fighter 2
SF2T=Street Fighter 2 Turbo
SF:CE=Street Fighter:Champion Edition
SSF2=Super Street Fighter 2
SF3=Street Fighter 3
SF3:TS=Street Fighter 3:Third Strike
SF3:SI=Street Fighter 3:Second Impact
SFA=Street Fighter Alpha
SFZ=Street Fighter Zero (Japanese SFA)
SSF2X=Super Street Fighter 2 X (Japanese SSF2T)
Super Turbo=(see SSF2T)
SFA3=Street Fighter Alpha 3
SFA3U=Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper
DS=Darkstalkers
VS=Vampire Savior (Japanese DS, also names for later DS games)
GG=Guilty Gear
DP=Dragon Punch (Moves that use the F, D, DF motion or a character's move that's similar to Ryu/Ken/Gouki's Shoryuken, which was called Dragon Punch in early SF translations)
HK=Hard/"heavy"/"high" Kick
MP=Medium/"middle" Punch
LP=Light/"low" Punch
LK=Light/"low" kick
HP=Hard/"heavy"/'high" Punch (Sometimes referred as health, better used for RPGs.)
MK=Medium/"middle" Kick (Also can refer to Mortal Kombat Series)
CVS=Capcom VS SNK (can refer to series)
MVC (Also MvC)=Marvel VS. Capcom (Can refer to series, including MSH VS SF and XM VS SF)
XM VS SF=X-men VS. Street Fighter
MSH VS SF=Marvel Super Heroes VS. Street Fighter
KOF=King of Fighters (Can refer to series)
KOF 2k...=King of Fighters games at/after KOF 2000 (list is KOF2k, KOF2k1, KOF2k2 and KOF2k3)
SVC=Snk VS. Capcom (Can refer to same series as CVS)
SVC:C=SNK VS. Capcom:Chaos (SVC can also refer to this)
UMK3=Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
SSB=Super Smash Bros. (Can refer to series)
KO=Knock Out (When a character has lost all their health)
VF=Virtua Fighter (Can refer to series)
DOA=Dead or Aive (Can refer to Fighting Game Series)
FF=Fatal Fury (Can also refer to series)
RBFF=Real Bout Fatal Fury (Can also refer to series)
SC=Super Cancel (As in CVS/SVC:C/KOFXI/SF3, also can refer to Soul Calibur Series)
#67  September 13, 2008, 06:17:13 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
STOP POSTING
Last post, 6 years ago.
#68  July 29, 2015, 11:45:54 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#69  July 29, 2015, 04:43:51 pm
    • Peru
That's interesting. I've seen a lot of really good people go down on tournaments just because of nerves. In my first evo (2013) I performed really poorly in SSF4AE2012; I was really nervous, I underestimated a pad player and in the losers bracket of my pool I was completeley clueless, demotivated. I only won 1 set, so I didn't get too far.

In 2014 I did far better because I focused on some of the stuff I read in that doc, like acknowledging my opponent was nervous too. That helped me and I almost got out of my pool (I lost the losers finals), so I think I performed better.

And I'll post this here since it can be really helpful:
#70  August 10, 2015, 04:34:53 pm
i've been watching GG tournaments lately and i hear the commentators say a couple of words that i don't understand:
Ukumi (not Okizeme because they say it too and i know what it means), Mappa, and Respect; as in "he needs to either respect <move name> or get out of the way"
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#71  August 10, 2015, 04:44:54 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If you mean Ukemi that's recovery tech when you're hit in the air.
Mappa = SLayer's 236P/236K special
Respect = To attempt to defend  a move rather than counter it.  If Sol is headed straight for you with a Fafnir and you choose to try to IB it rather than poke him out of it, that's respecting the move.
#72  August 10, 2015, 07:36:37 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
respect is a bit more abstract than just blocking; it involves picking the "right" options in certain situations(mixups, wakeup, etc). so a lack of respect would mean picking the "wrong" option that gives you random dps, hail mary supers, because the player wasnt respecting the potential risk of not doing the "right" thing

the "right" thing to do being of course blocking
#73  August 10, 2015, 07:58:40 pm
how do you respect command throws then?
#74  August 10, 2015, 08:05:35 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
by jumping.
#75  August 10, 2015, 08:24:46 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
#76  September 12, 2015, 05:44:35 am
fuzzy guard?
#77  September 12, 2015, 06:03:58 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
When your hurtbox while crouching is actually the same size as your standing hurtbox; this happens when you are hit by a jump-in while standing and crouch right after, your hurtbox is still the size of your standing hurtbox for a few frames after blocking the initial attack, this is called fuzzy guard.

Fuzzy guard breaking is when you execute an instant overhead immediately after a jump in, because it has a higher chance of hitting someone if they block low after blocking high, because their hurtbox is still the same size as their standing one even while crouching.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#78  September 12, 2015, 07:56:34 am
Also of note, fuzzy guard has a second definition that's more commonly found in (but not exclusive to) 3D fighters. It's a technique to defend yourself from an opponent's mixups. Whether it's a low-mid mixup, mid attack-throw mixup, hop attack-crouch B mixup (KoF), etc.

Whlie they both use the same term, they're different things. But it's pretty easy to figure out the context in which the term is being used depending on the game.
Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:00:29 am by Niitris
#79  September 12, 2015, 01:59:05 pm
thanks alot both ya's
Fuzzy guard breaking is when you execute an instant overhead immediately after a jump in, because it has a higher chance of hitting someone if they block low after blocking high, because their hurtbox is still the same size as their standing one even while crouching.
so let me see if understood this currently: you exploit the overhead property of being unblockable on crouch coupled with the hitbox delay, which makes the overhead hit even if it seems like it didn't reach the opponent.
#80  September 14, 2015, 05:50:14 am
    • Peru
Exactly. One example of this is Adon's Jumping (vertical) HK. People normally performs falling HK, jumping HK.