YesNoOk

Melty Blood Type Lumina has been announced!! Release date 9/30/2021!! (Read 633777 times)

Started by Sima Shi, March 25, 2021, 06:05:21 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Melty Blood Type Lumina has been announced!! Release date 9/30/2021!!
#41  July 19, 2021, 06:36:39 pm
I just assumed Kishima would be one of the first to be cut out of the reduced character list, glad to see he made it.
So the movelist is the exact same, just with fresh animations then. Meh.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#42  July 19, 2021, 10:29:31 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I mean, what did you expect?
#43  July 20, 2021, 02:45:53 am
    • Brazil
I mean, what did you expect?
To be completely honest, I expected more moves. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, the game looks amazing and it looks really fun, but I just hope the gameplay differences are significant.
#44  July 21, 2021, 01:24:07 am
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Hell yehh my boy Kishima is back, That alone makes me want to forgive them for making the story a prequel, I still wish they add new faces as playable characters
#45  July 21, 2021, 02:10:39 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I was thinking on that tbh -- maybe they'll add in SHIKI Tohno as a playable character? Assuming Roa doesn't appear, or maybe they'll just make a new villain entirely.

I kinda had a bit of a theory earlier today that the more routes they add to Tsukiremake, the more characters get added to this game as DLC. Unlikely but eh, doesn't kill to be creative. Something like Satsuki finally getting her route and maybe Sion appears in it, finally adding her to the Tsukihime canon, and then she's made DLC for Type Lumina. Idk, just an idea.

Kouma appearing does, at least, give some weight to the idea of him playing a bigger role in Tsukihime remake as opposed to just being an illusory "final boss" in Kagetsu Tohya. This makes me believe Len might show up as well, since she's got a chance of having an expanded role in Arc's route this time around.
#46  July 23, 2021, 06:00:16 am
  • Miss Pink Maid♪
    • kohaku.trinitymugen.net
Arcueid gameplay

#47  August 02, 2021, 06:35:34 am
    • USA
Akiha's trailer is out and she's straight up got her F-Seifuku moveset. Kinda hype, love how she looks here! This is honestly the most interested I've been in Akiha outside of V.Akiha in Actress Again.

#48  August 02, 2021, 06:49:05 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Cool. They going with Jedah Akiha.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#49  August 02, 2021, 10:43:08 pm
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
Akiha's trailer is out and she's straight up got her F-Seifuku moveset. Kinda hype, love how she looks here! This is honestly the most interested I've been in Akiha outside of V.Akiha in Actress Again.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/-HJpHiPqt1U[/youtube]

Type-Moon can have my 70 dollars now.
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#50  August 03, 2021, 07:05:18 am
  • Miss Pink Maid♪
#51  August 03, 2021, 07:14:43 am
    • USA
Maids coming back, um... I mean I like it, but yeah. Kinda easy-out, waste of a slot. I hope this choice doesn't fuck over a more interesting character joining the roster, like Satsuki, or Nero, or Roa.
#52  August 03, 2021, 10:45:28 am
    • Brazil
It's not really a waste of slot, because it didn't stop them from making another character. In fact, it seems more like an attempt to inflate the roster a bit more since they can reuse many assets from solo Hisui and solo Kohaku to have them occupy another slot as a pair, but if they added someone else, they'd have to make new stuff from scratch.
#53  August 03, 2021, 01:39:36 pm
  • Miss Pink Maid♪
they'd have to make new stuff from scratch.

That's the point. With a roster of around 10 characters you'd expect some diversity within the cast and not already falling into character alt territory. With the limited space the maid duo feel like padding. They may play different from their base versions, but it doesn't change the fact these characters were already there to begin with.

That's like if Guilty Gear Strive took their equally limited roster and added a Sol & Ky duo character instead of someone new or returning. It'd feel like a massive cop out despite the character being mechanically different. It stagnates the roster and makes it even smaller than it actually is.
#54  August 03, 2021, 04:51:42 pm
    • Brazil
I don't think you understand. Their choice of adding the maid duo is not what stopped them from adding anyone else, what did stop them was probably lack of time or budget, which means that they would add the duo regardless of whether or not there were other characters, because the duo can be made playable much faster and cheaper than anyone made from scratch.
#55  August 03, 2021, 05:09:54 pm
    • USA
I don't think you understand. Their choice of adding the maid duo is not what stopped them from adding anyone else, what did stop them was probably lack of time or budget, which means that they would add the duo regardless of whether or not there were other characters, because the duo can be made playable much faster and cheaper than anyone made from scratch.

Which is a fair and understandable reason to do so, but it doesn't negate the fact that it's a disappointing pick and is still worrisome of how diverse (or not-so) the roster will end up being due to these possible reasons.

Maids may be a bit of an iconic Ice Climbers duo for this series, ever since the first Melty Blood, but it would feel a bit disheartening if the rest of the roster going forward is just clone characters. I know I wouldn't want three Akihas again... even if I would take V. Akiha.

It makes ME worry that characters I want to see return, who do have the chance to return given the new/rebooted timeline, may not end up returning and will be sidelined in favor of the much easier (and much less diverse and interesting) clone characters, either out of necessity of laziness depending on the actual reason. So far Type Lumina has been doing a lot of things right in the build up to its release. I can forgive Maids if its the only clone character on the roster, but if this is the start of a disappointment streak then I'd feel very remiss that Type Lumina got me all hyped up in the first place.

Call it what you will but I definitely think, given how the game has been promoted so far, that the Maids duo is a waste of a slot regardless of reason.
#56  August 03, 2021, 05:30:29 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
this "wasted slot" nonsense has been a meme since the days of smash bros brawl. macaulyn is right, the inclusion of the maid duo didnt stop anyone else from being included, what stopped them was logistical constraints. if you're worried about the diversity of the roster, rather than being upset at pointless things like the inclusion of characters that require little resources, you need to be looking at the bigger picture of how much the studio is capable of. theres not gonna be someone more "unique" if the studio is just logistically incapable of putting in that sort of dev work.
#57  August 03, 2021, 05:33:35 pm
    • USA
this "wasted slot" nonsense has been a meme since the days of smash bros brawl. macaulyn is right, the inclusion of the maid duo didnt stop anyone else from being included, what stopped them was logistical constraints. if you're worried about the diversity of the roster, rather than being upset at pointless things like the inclusion of characters that require little resources, you need to be looking at the bigger picture of how much the studio is capable of.

I am looking at how much the studio is capable of -- I'm still allowed to be disappointed that Maids got in first over someone like, I dunno, Miyako, and to me its a slot I don't care to see filled. I'm at least gonna wait to see what comes next but I am disappointed Maids duo is in and that's a valid opinion for me to have.
#58  August 03, 2021, 05:39:32 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I mean taking the stance of "if Miyako isnt getting in yet, I'd rather they just not add a character at all" is silly and entitled, but sure, it is an opinion you can have.

If Miyako was not getting into the game already, Maids has nothing to do with it.
#59  August 03, 2021, 05:46:49 pm
    • USA
That's not my point at all -- my point being, yes, the dev team may not have a high budget to make every character in the game as unique as possible. Yes, they may also be on time constraints given the game releases in basically a month. Yes, there's also the legacy of the character(s) in question that makes adding them a bit safer. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna be like, "Well, okay then. I understand why they're in, so it's alright."

I mean I get it, I do. But I'm still disappointed and uninterested. I just don't want the roster to amount to around 10 characters and look at the Maids saying, "you coulda been someone else, if only." They have valid probable reasons for being in the game, but said reasons just don't change how I feel about it.

At the very least, I admit -- it's just one slot, so I can stomach it. I suppose this is mainly my bitterness from other fighting games in recent years with how those projects have been handled. Smash, SFV, KOF XV, I have my own issues with those games and I suppose I'm just paranoid that some bigger issues would begin to plague Melty Blood as well. I wouldn't want the remainder of the roster to be made up of clone characters such as Shiki Nanaya, Mech-Hisui, or V. Akiha (even if I like the character). It would kinda make the remainder of the wait for the game feel very lackluster. Only time will tell, I suppose. It's overthinking things, I will admit, but I feel I have my reasons to be worried.
#60  August 03, 2021, 05:59:24 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
You've just listed a bunch of stuff basically explaining why you're acting a bit spoiled, and owning up to it anyways, so I don't have anything else to add there. Only thing I could say is that the inclusion of "clone characters" is very rarely a corner cutting measure as opposed to extra content that is added at a fraction of the cost of fully fleshed out designs. Budget constraints are set in stone, you're basically only gonna get what's planned out until the DLC hits. Unless the entire game was just one copy of the same character, viewing clone character inclusions as inherently lackluster is myopic. Viewing the game holistically and getting a feel for the development time and effort it takes to create the characters already there should probably give you some perspective on why such entitlement is a major impetus for the crunch culture in game development.

In a hypothetical game with Ryu, Chun Li, Guile, Dictator all of this is fully utilized for 4 distinct character designs. The inclusion of Evil Ryu or some other clone cuts down on a lot of the cost, allowing for the inclusion at less stress to developers. Its basically extra content. When fans complain about how disappointing and lackluster it is that Evil Ryu is included over Zangief or Dhalsim, implying a market demand for more totally original content, you start to see the reason why rushed low quality games and crunch horror stories are a thing. Granted we are talking about Capcom characters, and big studios like Capcom or Nintendo have a lot more resources to work with. I am just using those characters for brevity- to show 4 distinct character designs that take a lot of time and effort to fully realize.

Idk, this is a probably an unpopular opinion for gaming subcultures where entitlement is a big thing, but I tend to subscribe to the idea that fighting games dont need huge rosters to be quality games, especially for smaller studios where the only way to meet expectations within the AAA industry would be crunch.