Started by Nanashi_1337, February 06, 2011, 08:48:26 pm
Share this topic:
Skullgirls
#1  February 06, 2011, 08:48:26 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Because I feel the need to copy this from MI and show it to more people:

Shoryuken said:
A press release has been issued about the upcoming 2D fighting game Skullgirls. It would appear as if the game is on track for a 2011 release and has picked up the art talents of Alex Ahad, who has worked on projects such as Scott Pilgrim and Lava Punch. Read the full press release below.

Autumn Games and Reverge Labs to Unleash Skullgirls in 2011; Additional Details to be Revealed at GDC

Los Angeles – Feb. 3, 2011 – Prepare for the fight of your life! Autumn Games, a premier publisher of interactive entertainment, is working with game developer Reverge Labs to develop Skullgirls, a new fast-paced 2D fighting game that puts players in control of fierce female warriors in an extraordinary Dark Deco world. The team is led by renowned fighting game champion Mike “Mike Z” Zaimont and artist Alex Ahad, whose work has appeared in many publications, including Scott Pilgrim and Lava Punch. Using advanced graphical technology never before achieved in a game of its type, Skullgirls is currently in development for a 2011 release on high-definition home consoles.

“We believe that Skullgirls has the chops to be the next big 2D fighter – it has amazing art, tight gameplay, and a rich and deep backstory,” said Jason Donnell, president and COO, Autumn Games. “Working with the talented group at Reverge Labs is an added bonus, particularly with Mike Z’s expertise in the competitive games arena and Alex Ahad’s phenomenal art style. Together we’re delivering a challenging and competitive – and really fun – game, wrapped in the convenience and easy expandability of DLC on the two leading gaming services.”

“We’re aiming to create a new take on fighting games, drawing on our own experience as competitive gamers to combine the best elements of classic fighters into something with intense action, an engaging story and the most advanced 2D fighting engine ever created,” said Richard Wyckoff, CEO, Reverge Labs. “Autumn Games is quickly making a name for itself in the industry as a publisher of fresh and exciting games and a true partner to independent game developers, and they were the ideal choice for us to partner with on Skullgirls.”

Sign up to receive Skullgirls news at http://www.skullgirls.com, or become a fan on Facebook for game updates, exclusive artwork and more. ESRB RATING PENDING: May contain content inappropriate for children. Visit www.esrb.org for rating information.

Additional details will be revealed at the upcoming Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, March 1-2, where Skullgirls will be shown by appointment only. Qualified press should contact Racheal Caswell at Wonacott Communications (rcaswell@wonacottpr.com) in advance to schedule a hands-on preview.

# # #

About Autumn Games
Autumn Games is a premier publisher of interactive entertainment focused on partnering with leading creative talent to deliver blockbuster video games and related media through long-term partnerships with a number of the most respected game studios in the industry. Autumn Games’ mission is to support these creative teams in their efforts to make cutting-edge, culturally impactful entertainment. Autumn Games was founded as a joint venture between Communications Equity Associates (“CEA”) and Autumn Entertainment Partners, combining CEA’s 37 year track record in global media and entertainment, private equity and merchant banking with Autumn Entertainment Partners’ unparalleled expertise in content finance.

For more information, please visit www.autumngames.com

About Reverge Labs
Reverge Labs, LLC is a new independent developer committed to creating high-quality downloadable games. Founded by CEO Richard Wyckoff and CTO Emil Dotchevski, Reverge draws on combined game development experience of more than 40 years to create unique artistic visions using cutting-edge development techniques.

For more information, please visit www.revergelabs.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhA-x5Lbx0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KV4ZLwkAk
Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:38:44 pm by GOH
Re: New 2D Fighting Game SkullGirls Coming in 2011
#2  February 06, 2011, 08:56:07 pm
Loving the art.
#3  February 06, 2011, 09:00:28 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
What a ridiculous looking hat. It reminds me of Conan introducing the new official Pittsburgh Steelers hat last thursday.

#4  February 06, 2011, 09:29:47 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
It looks realy horrible, like a doujin game of a doujin game.
#5  February 06, 2011, 10:07:58 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
It looks realy horrible, like a doujin game of a doujin game.

I think it's good IMO. But the combo system feels horrible to me. I just can't imagine that burst thing to evade infinites. As lolmechy said in MI, looks like they're lazy with the combo system and they want to go for the easy way to implement it.

SNT

#6  February 06, 2011, 11:02:16 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Hah!  I was wondering if I was ever going to see this again.  An old housemate of mine worked on the sprites for the black-haired chick in OP.

EDIT: So it makes infinite combos a gameplay mechanic..?  That's a unique way to not betatest a game.
Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:25:11 pm by Something Non-Threatening
#7  February 06, 2011, 11:20:28 pm
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
I'll be honest, this looks fucking horrible (gameplay-wise).
#8  February 07, 2011, 12:06:46 am
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
#9  February 07, 2011, 12:08:45 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
I like that they have infinite detection that doesn't stop the infinite, it just makes you aware that it's happening.
#10  February 07, 2011, 04:26:21 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
#11  February 07, 2011, 10:35:57 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
The sprites and graphics look pretty good, but the game itself looks quite boring and not very enjoyable.  Who knows just yet....
#12  February 07, 2011, 11:25:46 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Art is very interesting, but gameplay looks boring as hell.
#13  February 07, 2011, 01:22:41 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

DMK

#14  February 07, 2011, 01:49:44 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
I'll play it just for the fact of the art being so damn good, not like it'll be the absolute worst fighter I ever played.

GOH

#15  February 07, 2011, 01:56:13 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
For a game in development, it doesn't look THAT bad really.
#16  February 07, 2011, 04:12:53 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
It's been in development for like, ten years.
The artist/designer basically jumped in with no idea how to make a game and hired people who didn't know either.
#17  February 08, 2011, 06:10:28 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Summer is going to be interesting. >:)

GOH

#18  March 02, 2011, 12:14:11 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
#19  March 02, 2011, 03:41:48 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
...wow...
#20  March 02, 2011, 03:49:50 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
the music and the voice at the end reminds me somehow very at the scott pilgrim movie ..is that the same chiptunes band which made the score for it?