YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 729730 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros for Switch
#61  March 15, 2018, 12:06:55 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
actual guns thanks to Bayonetta more or less throwing that "no guns" rule out the window. 
I don't think you get the difference between fantasy guns and actual real-life guns.  For starters, her guns don't even cause flinching.
Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:13:34 pm by Kirishima
#62  March 15, 2018, 12:37:31 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
...That wasn't the point.  Guns were banned from Smash so long as they don't resemble actual guns, not for acting like real guns.  Everyone that had some variant of one had a very sci-fi fake looking gun, like Samus and Fox.  Bayonetta broke this rule.  It would not be out of the question for Snake to then get a pass as well, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not concerned as to how it works mechanically in the game.  It can just add damage without flinching like Fox, it can be a projectile down smash, I don't care.  I was just noting how they can make it look less fake now.
Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:41:24 pm by Long John Killer
#63  March 15, 2018, 12:42:13 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com

...Is there going to be a Forces stage instead of Windy Hill? And Cap Kingdom? An Arms stage at the very least would be neat that could replace Boxing Ring but doubt it...

Windy Hill was ugly garbage, but better than Brawl Green Hill and MKU was too much.
#64  March 16, 2018, 11:26:21 pm
    • Mexico
Found this on ResetERA (GAF's replacement) and thought it'd fun to speculate about it:

Basically, Ridley might become a playable character this time around if what those mods at ERA are saying is true.
#65  March 17, 2018, 01:32:31 am
    • USA
Presuming for a minute that there's any weight to that, if by some miracle Samus is updated to reflect her most recent attire like Link and possibly Mario if that is Cappy, would that make this Proteus Ridley or just plain old Ridley?  I'd imagine it would be more beneficial for it to be plain Ridley, but it's always weird when only select characters are up to date with changes.  Also then have to pick between which Ridley, which I would hope not be Other M's Ridley.  Besides Other M being the cesspool it is, that's also not...actually Ridley.  I mean, it is, but it's not, it's a cloned baby and it just looks different than normal and they just wanted to make him look more scary for the new game.

I actually think should he be in, and not Proteus, they would probably use a smaller updated version of Brawl's over the Other M version in Smash 4.  Just to help alleviate any confusion to more casual fans that would see screenshots of a big Ridley from Smash 4, and want to know how to play Giga Ridley in Smash 5.

...Barring his final smash isn't turning big, that is.
#66  March 17, 2018, 02:52:24 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Ah, there we go.  It's not a true Smash game without a cavalcade of bullshit fake leaks.  So many uncles who work at Nintendo.
#67  March 17, 2018, 03:02:28 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
oh boy here we go

wouldn't it take too much space

how much space is ridley again?
#68  March 18, 2018, 02:11:00 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Meh, with regards to the fake news and leaks roaming about, I'll wait until something pop up on official channels (like the Nintendo YouTube channel) before I get excited. It is always like this during the lead up to the official release with every Smash game, fake news everywhere.

Why does it always happen with the Smash series and not with other (fighting) video game series? No one give out fake news with SNK or Soul Calibur on this kind of scale?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#69  March 18, 2018, 04:41:52 pm
Well, it happened to Capcom with MVC3, MVCI and SFV.
It's just that Smash has a broader audience, mostly because it's more of a casual party game.
Just to be honest, fighting games never had that much going on over here after the 90s fad.
I believe it's still a huge thing in Asia and America, not sure about the rest here in world.

Kojima's ........

But this topic isn't about Yugioh or Konami, so let's not go that way :)

I understand Konami being famous and of course a lot are still sad things happened between them and their beloved Kojima.
But please, if you have to, open a topic for it, tag me, and I'll gladly discuss it with you over there.
#70  March 20, 2018, 10:49:01 pm
    • USA
#71  March 21, 2018, 03:20:47 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com

Too bad Funimation missed the whole "they have to be from a video game" standard that isn't a little known fact.
#72  March 21, 2018, 03:55:28 am
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
I'm sorry guys, but I have to vent. Because I don't get it.

WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT GOKU FROM DRAGON BALL TO BE ON SUPER SMASH BROS.!?

What would be the significance of Goku? First anime/manga character to appear on Smash, is that it? What could Goku bring not just to Smash, but to the entire video game community? I'm trying to wrap my head around this, and I just can't figure it out. It seems that Nintendo has been searching specifically for video game characters who've made a lasting imprint on their platform and/or video game history:

Pac Man: First non-Pong, non-space shooter game, most iconic and successful, birth of booms for both Atari, individually and all of video games, globally
Sonic: Representative of Nintendo's former rival Sega
Solid Snake: Creator Hideo Kojima and Smash producer Masahiro Sakarai are personal friends, became first 3rd party character in Smash game
Megaman: Megaman 2 was best seller for Nintendo, also started out in Nintendo consoles
Ryu: Representative of the fighting game boom
Cloud: Representative of most successful of Final Fantasy games (VII), even though he was not in Nintendo (Playstation)
Bayonetta: Winner of Smash Bros. poll
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:16:09 am by no1wammy
#73  March 21, 2018, 04:34:35 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com

Well, Dragon Ball arguably has the most tie in video games of any property. Ever. Even with Star Wars in mind. That alone makes me want him more than those last two...

...But still not much. Also, it's been proven fairly recently that Mario is more iconic than Pac-Man. Still doesn't explain Dr. not being an just alt fully though. I'd even have to throw in that characters like Crash and Bomberman are more known/greater to gaming/further lasting than Bayo is globally. FE characters aren't known globally, Mother wasn't before Smash, Falcon wasn't known as anything other than a one-off compared to his car, Ice Climbers weren't but I don't even consider them characters/franchise/memorable at all personally...
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:40:57 am by MR. IBZS II
#74  March 21, 2018, 05:53:48 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada

For the memes.  That's literally it.
#75  March 21, 2018, 05:59:02 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
#76  March 21, 2018, 06:15:53 am
    • Mexico

I can think of some possible reasons:
1.- Ever since Brawl brought the concept of third party characters into reality, people just blew it out of the water and started to think the likes of Goku were possible.
2.- With many "rules" (they're mostly fan-made, only a few really have any sort of validity) being broken thanks to Sm4sh, some people think there's only a way to out-top the likes of Ryu ("no more than one 3rd party company rep") and Cloud ("character must be important to Nintendo") and that's bringing Goku in.
3.- Memes and shitposting that never succeeds at making me laugh.
#77  March 21, 2018, 06:19:15 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Personally, I'd much prefer Crash for Smash than Goku, but Smash fan-games that have Goku playable actually have me interested in how he would play. He's always been fun to me in the fan games he's been in and it gets me wondering and curious about how Nintendo would handle actually having Goku in it.

Edit: I'd also be pretty hype over seeing Sora from Kingdom Hearts in Smash.
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:22:42 am by Project.13
#78  March 21, 2018, 06:47:10 am
    • USA
More or less what other people have summarized, but it's pretty simple.  Smash has been a display of big important fictional figures fighting.  Until Brawl, it remained confined to Nintendo only.  Then Brawl started loosening the rules with Snake and Sonic, plus not-specifically characters from video games but related to them, thanks to R.O.B..  Then 4 gave even less restrictive guidelines than before, with multiple reps for Capcom, "no guns allowed" Bayonetta showing up and so on.

So basically, yeah, you're on the money.  First manga/anime character to show up in Smash.  Minus the small legion of anime swordfighters already dominating the game, anyways.  Dragon Ball's had an extensive history with Nintendo, and shouldn't need to be argued as to how popular the series and the character of Goku specifically is.

Would there be better choices that fit Smash specifically beforehand?  Sure.  Would Goku work, should they be so inclined?  I'd like to think so.  Granted, it would be as silly as if Sony's PlayStation All-Stars went and added Tony Hawk, but still.
#79  March 21, 2018, 06:55:59 am
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
Edit: I'd also be pretty hype over seeing Sora from Kingdom Hearts in Smash.

Sora is an interesting case. I feel the same way with him like I do Goku...

But there's a twist. Many Disney games have been on Nintendo, with the early titles being mostly produced by Capcom, a current Smash rep. Sora being first introduced in Kingdom Hearts technically makes him a Disney character, not a Final Fantasy character. Disney's significance to Nintendo may give Sora a leg up in a future appearance. Though I do worry about him appearing on Smash, for Sora could be a symbol of Smash jumping the shark.

So yeah, Sora could end up being a double-edged sword.
#80  March 21, 2018, 07:08:39 am
    • USA
I'm confused.  How do you feel the same way about Sora being in as if Goku was in, while the twist is how bad it would be for Smash's consistency.  Did you want Goku in, then?

Sora would require more hoops to jump through thanks to the Disney ties, but it's not outside the realm of possibility as I see it.  There was already the first step taken of including Sora in Final Fantasy titles like World of Final Fantasy.  Disney can be negotiated with, and while FF mixing with Disney was the whole concept behind Kingdom Hearts, I'd venture it was more risqué of Disiney to have Sora go outside KH messing with uncensored Final Fantasy compared to if they want Sora in the more family friendly Smash.