YesNoOk

Random animations for practice. (Read 416020 times)

Started by Rabano, October 29, 2022, 12:22:34 am
Random animations for practice.
#1  October 29, 2022, 12:22:34 am
    • Argentina

I want to practice more animation and spritework stuff, so I wanted to try one thing.

One time a user called Chucho mentioned he makes some of his animations by tracing, wich I wanted to try it. I know its not the best way to make a char but its mostly to see how can I make those sprites and animations.

Here's the only one I did so far, wich isn't even finished, and it's Rashid's MP from Street Fighter V (Using Chucho's Rashid idle sprite as the base)

For what I learned I really need to improve the consistency between sizes in each frame, specially in his feets.

and also, there's a program or something where you can see the animations before indexing and adding the sprites to Fighter Factory? I'll be glad for any type of help
Re: Random animations for practice.
#2  October 29, 2022, 02:20:34 am
i love this
#3  October 29, 2022, 03:59:07 am
    • Argentina

Here's the full animation of his MP, I fixed the size of his feets and tried to give some motion to the arm.

I still need to do better shading on clothes and arm muscles.
#4  October 29, 2022, 04:10:33 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Oh. Wow.

These look pretty dope. Aside from his arms being of inconsistent sizes, this looks great. I hope you make more Rashid anims.
#5  October 29, 2022, 04:15:08 am
    • Argentina

I'll see, I want to do animations for other Characters beside Rashid.

Also I think his arms are not changing sizes, I just sucks as shading his arms and show some deep.
#6  October 29, 2022, 11:29:46 am
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
That looks pretty good. You seem to have the motivation to improve things further. If you ever want to experiment tracing by using model rips like this as reference:

Hit me up and I'll help you.
#7  October 29, 2022, 11:33:23 am
I'll see, I want to do animations for other Characters beside Rashid.

Also I think his arms are not changing sizes, I just sucks as shading his arms and show some deep.

Not half bad.
If you were trying to make it CvS styled, though, I would suggest you to pick references from the game to make him more accurate.

Like you said, the shading is not consistent. Also yeah, I think the arms are changing sizes a bit, mostly the (viewer's) left one. The blur isn't necessary in my opinion.

Keep at it! :thumbsup:
#8  October 29, 2022, 12:10:41 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Man, you're improving a lot!!! One thing I miss in Chucho is, even he has potential to create awesome stuff, he doesn't spends the needed time in one character. He has tones and tones of them, but none of them reaches the minimum of frames required to be a consistent character. Not bashing him, because as a fellow spriter I respect him.

Also, if you need tips, feel free to contact me. ou can write me in Spanish too.
And this web helps a lot too:
https://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/
I swear there was something cool here!!
#9  October 29, 2022, 12:35:41 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

You really improved! Seems like when using a good base, you can make pretty accurate animations/designs.

That looks pretty good. You seem to have the motivation to improve things further. If you ever want to experiment tracing by using model rips like this as reference:

This is absolutely great!
Can you tell me more about the process to obtain such 3D simplified animations/sprites?
To me, from this step, the harder part is done :
As a spriter, for me, completing such a sprite with shading and details is only fun time ! (depending on the amount for sprites of course)
Just imagine how fast it would be for someone like Dampir !

Please, tell me more about it.
I think this is the same method that have been used for Angel's missing kick.
#10  October 29, 2022, 01:00:13 pm
One thing I miss in Chucho is, even he has potential to create awesome stuff, he doesn't spends the needed time in one character. He has tones and tones of them, but none of them reaches the minimum of frames required to be a consistent character. Not bashing him, because as a fellow spriter I respect him.

I noticed that everytime Chuchoryu is mentioned, you keep saying this. To be honest it's not needed. This is about Rabano and his sprites. Please stay on topic.

I forgot to say that in one frame the viewer's left foot still looks bigger than in the other frames.
Also the light source is supposedly coming from above, but in certain poses of the frame the torso is lit when it really shouldn't, since the light wouldn't get to that part of the body.
#11  October 29, 2022, 04:04:41 pm
    • Argentina

Thanks you a lot!

Oh thanks you, I'll message you if I need help with some of those animations.

I noticed that everytime Chuchoryu is mentioned, you keep saying this. To be honest it's not needed. This is about Rabano and his sprites. Please stay on topic.

Yeah you're right, I don't want to be seen as a hater or something for """"fixing"""" his chars, Im just trying to add my spin into them. and also I had some problems with another creator some time ago so I don't want anything like that anymore.

Also, I said I wanted to try more characters (I have both Kolin, Lucia and Abel in mind) but another animation for Rashid doesn't hurt, here's his MK animation so far:

#12  October 30, 2022, 04:48:44 am
    • Argentina

Rashid's Medium Kick done:

and a little combo to see both animations together:

#13  October 30, 2022, 05:50:51 am
    • USA
My guy, this is such sex on the eyes.

Consider me a bona fide Rabano fan now. You've got real promise in the art field; both sprite art and traditional art if your Lee portrait is anything to go by.

Keep up the badass work, know it's not going unappreciated whatsoever.
#14  October 30, 2022, 12:58:22 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Really nice work. :thumbsup: Frame count seems just about right to make the movement fluid without burning you out. The palette could be better, but that's something you can change at any time.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#15  October 30, 2022, 02:41:41 pm
    • Argentina

Thanks you, for now Tracing the animations are working for me, of course I change some proportions to make it looks good in the typical CVS/Alpha perspective.

It was fun to make Rashid, but now I'll continue with some others characters and moves.

For example, Abel's focus attack:

#16  October 30, 2022, 03:32:10 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Thanks you, for now Tracing the animations are working for me, of course I change some proportions to make it looks good in the typical CVS/Alpha perspective.

It was fun to make Rashid, but now I'll continue with some others characters and moves.

Awesome job with Rashid. Glad to see some more polished animations!!

About Abel, would you mind explain your tracing method?
I mean what is the actual source? you don't trace over youtube SFIV gameplay videos, right ?
Mind to show some of your process steps ? and explain... So much potential here.
#17  October 30, 2022, 04:35:51 pm
    • Argentina

Awesome job with Rashid. Glad to see some more polished animations!!

About Abel, would you mind explain your tracing method?
I mean what is the actual source? you don't trace over youtube SFIV gameplay videos, right ?
Mind to show some of your process steps ? and explain... So much potential here.

Well my metod is... kinda dumb, but it works for me so far. I said that because I don't use any pixelart program, I use SAI 2, which its mostly for digital drawings, but it has a binary pen that lets you paint pixel by pixel, and it more comfortable for my while using a tablet with a pen.

So, First step its picking a idle pose to base on, normally Chucho's sprites because those are the only ones I can find, and I add them in a colorful line (mostly fluor colors to pop up from the sprites) and a simple color for the background, both those things in a different layer.

And then I do what you said, I take screenshots from his animations from "X Character movelist", I took the one's with a strong keypose, resize them and Add them to the line.

Then, in a new layer, I make the linework, I dont do them perfectly, I change some things from the screenshot to make it more consistent (for example for Rashid's medium Kick I make his legs like 3 pixels shorter to match with the idle).

Those are rought, I fix some weird lines later, its just to know where each part of his body is located. I also have two lineworks for the actual hit sprite because its there where I add some motion and dragging of the clothes, just to add more impact.
 And then, in a new later, I start making the sprite, I usually start with the arms, then the torso, the legs, the feets and then the head, Im pretty bad doing the head and faces of the character in pixelart so I usually try to reuse the head with minor changes.

And that's what I do, Its probably not the best way to do it, so if you have some method, program or tip I can use I'll appreciate it.

#18  October 31, 2022, 03:44:01 am
    • Argentina

Well, I finished Abel's focus attack:

what do you think?

what do you want me to try next time?
#19  October 31, 2022, 07:21:33 am
    • USA
Dude, hot damn. You're making me wanna code these characters now and use these assets (with permission ofc).

Would you be up for attempting a sprite/anim from a character that doesn't have a base yet? Rashid and Abel both have bases from Chu to at least build off of for these, but someone, like G for example, doesn't have a base.

You don't have to but I figured I'd ask.
#20  October 31, 2022, 09:11:45 am
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany