YesNoOk

Arcade Accurate MK Chars (Read 33667 times)

Started by SaltAddict, January 26, 2022, 12:10:23 am
Share this topic:
Arcade Accurate MK Chars
#1  January 26, 2022, 12:10:23 am
    • Portugal
BETA 1 released!
https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/cage-mk2-beta-release-1-197739.0.html

Cage v1.0 released!
https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/johnny-cage-mk2-v1-0-199221.0.html

https://streamable.com/vke8iv
https://streamable.com/3rzfil
https://streamable.com/hmld2g
https://streamable.com/6pf38i
https://streamable.com/01xx8l
https://streamable.com/dtkoxw
(idk why videos are flipped)

This project originally started as a simple edit of OMEGAPSYCHO's Cage together with some MKP stuff to make it more accurate to the source games. However I feel like I've changed enough stuff by now for it to qualify as its own thing. Re-did the sff, re-worked all the basic movement, special moves, hits, etc... with frame data and speeds directly from the original MK2 game. Hitboxes are also being fully redone with a hitbox-viewer tool. He has blood effects for all his basics but no fatalities and I haven't even touched the snd file yet. The hardest part has been re-creating all the jank in the MK engine.

Hoping this can serve as a template for other creators so that classic MK can have the same level of accuracy SF, KOF, etc... have in MUGEN.
Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:37:24 am by SaltAddict
Re: Arcade Accurate MK Chars
#2  January 26, 2022, 04:50:10 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
I really like this one. Will follow this closely.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#3  January 27, 2022, 04:53:51 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
ah cool, hope this will lead to accurate conversions of characters from MK2 and from the other MK games (MK1, UMK3, and Trilogy)
#4  February 10, 2022, 05:00:46 am
Continue the great work my dude
I'm rootin for ya!
#5  May 20, 2022, 11:36:28 pm
    • Portugal
Project's not dead, my free time is just inconsistent lately.

Took some work, but his fireballs are now 1:1 with the arcade.

Red shadows! Just the kick for now, but I might add a config file with an option to toggle it for his other moves.

He will also have an option to toggle "MK3 Mode". Gives him his combo strings and run from MK Trilogy, and also changes up some of the properties on his basics to match UMK3

And of course, FATALITIES! Still tinkering with how best to implement these, so that it's easy to make other chars compatible.

Unfortunately, I've broken his AI atm, so I wasn't able to record a Cage VS Cage match. Will post a video once that's fixed. Debating whether or not there should be an option to enable MK2's infamous bullshit AI  :S
#6  May 21, 2022, 01:50:07 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
Project's not dead, my free time is just inconsistent lately.

Took some work, but his fireballs are now 1:1 with the arcade.

Red shadows! Just the kick for now, but I might add a config file with an option to toggle it for his other moves.

He will also have an option to toggle "MK3 Mode". Gives him his combo strings and run from MK Trilogy, and also changes up some of the properties on his basics to match UMK3

And of course, FATALITIES! Still tinkering with how best to implement these, so that it's easy to make other chars compatible.

Unfortunately, I've broken his AI atm, so I wasn't able to record a Cage VS Cage match. Will post a video once that's fixed. Debating whether or not there should be an option to enable MK2's infamous bullshit AI  :S

This is looking pretty damn good right now! and yeah that could be a good option to have the BS AI from MK2 as a switchable option.
#7  May 25, 2022, 06:44:13 pm
You're making real good progress, dude! I'm curious as to how you'll obtain vels, timings, hitbox data and whatnot from MKT though, since it never saw an official arcade release.

After the second round, the CPU does things that no human player can do—like dodging an uppercut or blocking throws and counterattacking with their own.ˢʳᶜ
MKII AI is definitely on a whole other level of bullshit compared to the rest of the releases from the 2D era lol

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#8  May 27, 2022, 07:44:32 pm
    • Portugal
You're making real good progress, dude! I'm curious as to how you'll obtain vels, timings, hitbox data and whatnot from MKT though, since it never saw an official arcade release.

You can get velocities and timings from any emulator with frame advance and screenshot functions. And there are tools to view the hitboxes in MKT, either through in-game options (n64 version) or gameshark codes (ps1). The only game atm without any kind of hitbox viewer is MK1.

That looks cool! Reminds me of the MK1 HD remix that was being made by that bleed guy years ago. Wonder if its the same team?
#9  June 30, 2022, 11:58:46 pm
    • Portugal

Some videos. Working on his sound effects atm, those are still not finished so you will hear some missing sfx or old sounds from omegapsycho's version. AI is next so he's more than a punching bag
#10  August 28, 2022, 10:16:03 pm
    • Portugal
Quick implementation of a brutality:

#11  September 01, 2022, 12:51:30 pm
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
#12  September 01, 2022, 02:44:15 pm
    • Spain
    • oscarstg1@gmail.com
is for mugen niormal o only for mk mugen?
#13  September 01, 2022, 11:28:17 pm
    • Portugal
#14  March 08, 2023, 07:23:19 pm
    • Portugal
Obligatory "project is not dead" although it was hard to find the motivation to work on Cage these past few months. But the MK2 source code leak a few months ago actually revived my interest somewhat.

Rainbow blood! This will be controlled by a config file which you can edit to add names of characters and what blood colours they should have. Currently planning support for five: red, green, black, blue, and gold.

I've also implemented his friendship. It uses the UMK3 style for now (don't block during the match).

MK1 mode! Had to round out the trilogy!

Most of the work done has been "under the hood", so to speak. Rewriting corner push routines, implementing MK1 stuff, fixing pallettes etc etc. I've decided to scale down the scope of the project somewhat, at least until I've got something that I can release. Rest assured, he will still come with full MK1/MK2/UMK3 gameplay, but some customization options will have to wait until later updates.
#15  March 10, 2023, 09:26:45 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
ah, liking the idea of those options for MK1, MK2, and UMK3 modes.

can't wait to try him out when he's ready.
#16  March 29, 2023, 12:37:40 am
    • Portugal
Finishing up his finishers (eh) atm. Hoping to release a beta soon!

All that needs to be done for compatibility is add the reaction animations to the other character.

If the opponent does not have the required anims, Cage has a set of alternate fatalities.

A sample of the extra "-alities".
#17  April 08, 2023, 11:36:09 pm
    • Portugal

Stage is The Pit 2 by Juano16. You can add this pit fatality to any stage by simply editing Cage's config file. Still missing sound+blood effects atm.
Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 11:41:37 pm by SaltAddict
#18  April 08, 2023, 11:39:54 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Nice!
The constant screaming while falling do the ground is missing...

Ah, I see... Still missing voice and blood.

Anyway, looks really good.
#19  April 13, 2023, 12:05:08 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
just seeing The Pit 2 stage fatality, will you do more? (Pit 1, Deadpool, Kombat Tomb, Subway, Bell Tower, Pit 3, and Scorpion's Lair)
#20  April 14, 2023, 04:33:37 pm
    • USA
    • r.coburn08@yahoo.com
NGl man I understand how u can lose motivation to work on projects bc i do the same with mine.. But man this is great bro frfr!
#21  April 15, 2023, 12:28:38 am
    • Portugal
just seeing The Pit 2 stage fatality, will you do more? (Pit 1, Deadpool, Kombat Tomb, Subway, Bell Tower, Pit 3, and Scorpion's Lair)
Yeah, the plan is to have all of them eventually

Thanks everyone for the support!
#22  April 26, 2023, 11:30:06 pm
    • Portugal

This was an unused fatality that was found in the game's source code a few months ago. Did my best to re-create it with the existing blood effects.

I'm hoping to release a beta sometime next week. It will have full, arcade-accurate MK1, MK2 and UMK3 gameplay modes, all UMK3 finisher types and MK2 stage fatalities. It's still not 100% all features I wanna add but whats missing is just small stuff that can be added later; gameplay wise he is finished.

#23  May 01, 2023, 01:15:40 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
[youtube]https://youtu.be/AJvKOsz72vI[/youtube]

This was an unused fatality that was found in the game's source code a few months ago. Did my best to re-create it with the existing blood effects.

I'm hoping to release a beta sometime next week. It will have full, arcade-accurate MK1, MK2 and UMK3 gameplay modes, all UMK3 finisher types and MK2 stage fatalities. It's still not 100% all features I wanna add but whats missing is just small stuff that can be added later; gameplay wise he is finished.

damn! now that was brutal!
#24  May 04, 2023, 06:50:57 pm
    • Portugal
#25  May 06, 2023, 04:12:54 pm
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada

You can get velocities and timings from any emulator with frame advance and screenshot functions. And there are tools to view the hitboxes in MKT, either through in-game options (n64 version) or gameshark codes (ps1). The only game atm without any kind of hitbox viewer is MK1.

Have you ever thought of using CheatEngine or ArtMoney? You can accurately get velocities and timings with this tool.
#26  May 06, 2023, 06:05:05 pm
    • Portugal

Have you ever thought of using CheatEngine or ArtMoney? You can accurately get velocities and timings with this tool.

Yeah I've tried Artmoney, but all the values in MK2 (and other Williams games from what I've heard) are stored as 8 byte addresses which makes it a little more complicated.
#27  May 10, 2023, 04:44:21 am
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
Do you have any plans afterwards when Johnny Cage gets released?
#28  May 10, 2023, 02:21:47 pm
    • Portugal
Do you have any plans afterwards when Johnny Cage gets released?

MK-wise? There's a few other characters I'd like to convert like Jax, Raiden, Kitana, etc... or maybe adapt some of the 3D-era characters that have sprites available like Fujin and Nitara.

Outside of MK, there's a few characters I've been working on-and-off while procrastinating on Cage. Among other things, I've been working on converting some Streets of Rage characters to a more traditional fighting game format.

There's a few ideas but nothings been decided yet.

#29  July 22, 2023, 10:37:30 pm
    • Portugal

New fatality inspired by Shaolin Monks.

MK3 stuff is here!

Also adding MK1/MK3 versions of his fatalities. You can decide which version to use by changing the input slightly. The UI messages can be set to either of the 3 games or to change based on gameplay mode.

Kombat Tomb stage pack coming soon!

#30  February 16, 2024, 12:27:15 am
    • Portugal
Been working on him on and off these past months, mostly doing IKEMEN GO compatibility which meant re-writing some systems to take things like TAG into account. He should be fully compatible with IKEMEN TAG now and there's also support for blood colours added through maps and stage interaction through attachedchars, plus some stuff that could only be done in IKEMEN like correct corner detection. He won't crash MUGEN in SIMUL anymore either. FINISH HIM also works a lot smoother in IKEMEN since I don't actually need to hit the enemy to place him in a custom state.  Other than that it's just been fixing remaining inaccuracies and glitches.

Some of the fatality stuff shown in the last post was scrapped cause it wasn't turning out as well as I'd like, I think I'll ditch the "versions" and just focus on making them look good. To compensate, I've added an EX mode which I've wanted to try for awhile.

MIMIC Cage based on his MKX Stunt Double variation, was pretty fun to throw together.

Been working a lot on the stage project too. UMK3 transitions in IKEMEN GO, done through AttachedChar. These work with all characters off the bat but code can be added to characters to make them have more control over the transition through maps and such. Will write a tutorial once this is released. One thing I never really noticed in UMK3 is that no matter where you are when the transition is triggered, you'll always come up in the center of the new stage. This gave me a bit of a headache since it meant I couldn't just pan the stage up. The current implementation does very slightly mess up scrolling in the top stage but it fixes itself at the start of the next round.
#31  February 19, 2024, 09:18:38 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
this all looks good, the Ikemen stuff looks cool too ^^

this might be what causes me to jump to Ikemen.
#32  February 19, 2024, 01:01:25 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
One thing I never really noticed in UMK3 is that no matter where you are when the transition is triggered, you'll always come up in the center of the new stage. This gave me a bit of a headache since it meant I couldn't just pan the stage up. The current implementation does very slightly mess up scrolling in the top stage but it fixes itself at the start of the next round.
That made me pretty curious so I had to advance the video frame by frame. Is it that the top stage starts as an explod to hide the camera resetting itself? Or maybe you offset the entire second stage by the camera position in the first stage. Cool stuff regardless.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 01:06:29 pm by PotS
#33  February 22, 2024, 12:18:32 pm
    • Portugal

Here's some more stuff showing the stage transitions in simul and stage fatalities. Same deal as the transitions, they work by default with any character and custom triggers can be set for them via maps. I disabled the finish him stuff in simul for now so what you see here is how they work for regular characters.

--------------------------------------
Or maybe you offset the entire second stage by the camera position in the first stage.

This one  ;D

#34  February 23, 2024, 11:18:31 pm
Really nice! You doing this via AttachedChars? :D

Welcome to our exclusive club!

I've been working a true stage transition system, not just via ModifyBGCtrl, but the camera still misbehaves after the transitions.
Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:15:35 am by Lasombra Demon
#35  February 24, 2024, 05:35:21 pm
    • Portugal
Really nice! You doing this via AttachedChars? :D

Welcome to our exclusive club!

I've been working a true stage transition system, not just via ModifyBGCtrl, but the camera still misbehaves after the transitions.

Thanks! Yes, it's all done through AttachedChar.

I actually ran into camera problems like you mention. I think the issue was the floortension parameter acts weird if the lower bound of the camera is not 0. Dunno if that's the same problem you're having but my solution was to move the characters and new background down to the level of the bottom stage after it goes off camera, if that makes sense. So when it's all done the zoffset remains the same.
#36  February 24, 2024, 09:56:03 pm
So you are moving the stage elements around via ModifyBGCtrl?

I did that for all my old MK interactive stages and the MKvsSF stage. It was a hassle because you have to fake the deltas instead of using actual camerawork.

You have a Discord contact?
#37  February 25, 2024, 11:42:42 am
    • Portugal
So you are moving the stage elements around via ModifyBGCtrl?

I did that for all my old MK interactive stages and the MKvsSF stage. It was a hassle because you have to fake the deltas instead of using actual camerawork.

You have a Discord contact?

Yeah, I wait until the character passes the new floor level than I offset the stage and characters down by 345 pixels. There should be no problem with y deltas if you time it right, but MK3 stages don't have much vertical scrolling so I haven't tested that extensively or anything.

I think I already have you on Discord from awhile back? I can explain better there if you'd like
#38  February 25, 2024, 07:16:13 pm
Yeah, with stages that don't have much scrolling it's rather simple. I still don't like the fact we're moving the window dressing around instead of just actually using the true stage features (cameras, etc. etc.).

Which name do you use @ Discord?
#39  March 24, 2024, 11:35:40 am
    • Portugal
I forgot to put it here but I updated Cage a few days ago: https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/johnny-cage-mk2-v1-0-199221.0.html

Been working on a few other characters, I think Jax will probably be next since he's got the most work done on him atm
I'mma do this guy a little different than Cage, he'll be a mix of his MK2 and UMK3 selfs, with maybe a separate .sff for his regular arms

#40  March 24, 2024, 09:31:08 pm
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
ah cool, a mix of MK2 and MK3/UMK3 Jax sounds cool.
#41  March 27, 2024, 06:48:39 am
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
Will that include the MKT variant for his MK2 self?
#42  March 27, 2024, 09:38:16 pm
    • Portugal