YesNoOk

Why does everything have super combo cancel now? (Read 2680 times)

Started by extravagant, August 27, 2020, 01:58:04 am
Share this topic:
Why does everything have super combo cancel now?
#1  August 27, 2020, 01:58:04 am
    • USA
I've lately been testing out a variety of different Mugen creations, mainly any derivatives of SF, KOF, CFJ, and other alike titles. Some of these creators have very ambitious projects and "do a lot of good things right," they got nice color separated patches, they got the command buffering down to the T, and they are loved and admired by many.

However it a little too frequently I see that so many characters these days have what seems to be very button mash friendly type of stuff. Everybody can super combo cancel, everybody can chain combo into specials into supers, everybody can do non-endless juggles and fancy looking stuff, and I feel like many people have just forgotten to just stick to the basics. I've seen some KOF/SF characters play almost like Guilty Gear at times.

There seems to be no more emphasis on just neutral game, throws, option select, pure fundamental normals anymore.

Everyone can juggle 30 hit combos easily, super combo cancel, chain combos, roll, dodge, power charge, it's almost like every character out there has too many things going on.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:33:49 am by extravagant
Re: Why does everything have super combo cancel now?
#2  August 27, 2020, 02:52:00 am
    • USA
My buddy, KoF already has Supercombo to Max cancels, why wouldn't be fun to cancel into those?  Theres always that punkass game called Street Fighter 2,

If you play Street Fighter 5 you know the answer. Its boring. However you play Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite, now we have a fun game.

lui

#3  August 27, 2020, 03:53:58 am
    • USA
doesnt your stuff have super cancelling from specials and normals?

acting like people suddenly "forgot" basic fundamentals sounds extremely condescending, ngl.

alot of people still play games with more grounded neutral and still make characters who have everything you listed. its just a matter of preference.

people like variety. practice what you preach atleast before acting like its some sorta widespread issue.
#4  August 27, 2020, 04:01:40 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
#5  August 27, 2020, 07:29:15 am
    • USA
I cant wait to beat the snOt out of you in any fighter
#6  August 27, 2020, 07:56:38 am
    • USA
My buddy, KoF already has Supercombo to Max cancels, why wouldn't be fun to cancel into those?  Theres always that punkass game called Street Fighter 2,

If you play Street Fighter 5 you know the answer. Its boring. However you play Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite, now we have a fun game.

I don't play SF5, tbh I think that  game is a huge disgrace to the SF series. Never played MvCI, but I played Marvel 1-3 back in the day. Is MvCI better than 3? Lol, what's wrong with SF2? The game is classic, great damage, great setups, footsies are strong, great game. Execution barrier is super high too.

KOF games at least have a high execution barrier to be able to do all kinds of fancy stuff, and in order to do certain long string of juggles it really takes a shitload of skill and practice to do, and even then, there's no guarantee one can pull it off consistently.

doesnt your stuff have super cancelling from specials and normals?

acting like people suddenly "forgot" basic fundamentals sounds extremely condescending, ngl.

alot of people still play games with more grounded neutral and still make characters who have everything you listed. its just a matter of preference.

people like variety. practice what you preach atleast before acting like its some sorta widespread issue.

No not really, unless you use EX groove, but EX groove is for scrubs. I don't know what you're talking about, but I've played some people in the Mugen community or seen some of them play, and all they do is spam specials and supers, and using super combo cancel like mad. Super combo cancel is cheap, that's why they had to nerf its damage in 3S.

When are we gonna get some games in btw? You've been ducking me for months now. I'm still waiting to play.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#7  August 27, 2020, 08:11:45 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure all of those mechanics are in single characters nowadays because of the "POTS Style".

It is pretty much illegal to seriously talk bad about SF2 so I'm certain he's joking.