YesNoOk

The epic OCD/pet peeve of Unzipping files (Read 2176 times)

Started by extravagant, June 28, 2020, 05:11:31 am
Share this topic:
The epic OCD/pet peeve of Unzipping files
#1  June 28, 2020, 05:11:31 am
    • USA
Let's discuss the epic adventures of unzipping a Mugen character or stage file, which some of them have a folder inside of a folder, or simply just one folder for the main directory.

For WinRAR, if you right click the rar file and click Extract here, it'll extract your files for you without needing to "open" the archive manually. The problem is some people love putting a folder inside of a folder, so you have to take the folder with the actual content inside, and overwrite or delete the old folder. This wouldn't be such an "extra step" if people didn't zip the FOLDER up but just the files.

Secondly, some people prefer the just "zip the folder up" because when they open WinRAR, they can just drag the folder right there entirely and drop it to their designated location.

Which one are you?

For me personally, I don't like the "folder inside the folder" method. When it comes to extracting for example, 30 different character zips, it takes a long time to open WinRAR and one by one drag n drop folders. It's so much faster to just right click and hit the "Extract here" function. Unfortunately everybody has a difference preference, so you're stuck either way lol.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
Re: The epic OCD/pet peeve of Unzipping files
#2  July 23, 2020, 03:38:42 am
  • The Endless
  • 6P-$PXK_mEN3""Xz
    • USA
Sadly, as far as I know, all versions of Window's built in zip library does not support unicode.

Due to this Japanese zip files will not extract properly and likely never will probably since Unicode is under a semi-commerical license.

Unless there is a working patch for unicode zip files, I highly doubt it'll ever happen.
_EXC-Progression[ 703 ]
Re: The epic OCD/pet peeve of Unzipping files
#3  July 23, 2020, 03:47:53 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
OK? That's not what he was asking about though.