YesNoOk

Another ridiculous mugen online idea. (Read 562 times)

Started by RobotMonkeyHead, December 17, 2012, 07:14:36 am
Share this topic:
Another ridiculous mugen online idea.
#1  December 17, 2012, 07:14:36 am
  • Shakespear.
Alright, here's another ridiculous 'mugen online' topic.  Here's the idea:  What if, rather than loading entire rosters or games or anything like that, you set up a site like a forum with a chat room or something, where each person that is logged into the forum uploads one character and one stage, and then can challenge other people at either of their stages.
   So you log in, you upload the character you want to be using (til you change it out) and optionally a stage with some bgm.  All the uploading takes a few minutes, then you wander around the forum or the chat till you find someone to fight, maybe using a pm or im.  The site itself has the mugen engine built in it with a basic default screenpack (selectable?) with a 2 character select screen.  Maybe 4? Depending on whether it could handle that?  There could also be an option to watch a fight you aren't participating in.
  That's all really.  I'm going to guess this has been suggested before, and shot down, probably more than once.  But usually the problems I see people talking about with a mugen online are with roster uploading, so I figured I'd pitch the idea and watch some holes get shot in it.  Have at!
;)

Ax

Re: Another ridiculous mugen online idea.
#2  December 17, 2012, 07:39:43 am
    • USA
Elecbyte has said they would not do an online thing but I heard it was possible to do, just not in the stable and reliable way or organized and easy look.

I would say to that only a project of outstanding design and error free gameplay be hosted for online play. Like a Z2 game with Z2 stuff only with perfect no error coding and bugs. Though that may be a reality of the year 2016 assuming more join in to create it and actually finish more them.
Seek Truth
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#3  December 17, 2012, 07:43:02 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
You need a remarkably powerful server there. Mugen isn't mr optimised really and it's got to cope with all these people uploading and downloading stuff as well as match making.

This requires money, a lot of money. More than many people would have and tbh, what you want kinda means mugen needs to be coded in HTML5 so your net connection can access it. Right now there is no way of getting the net into mugen. Or vice versa. Source code still required.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4  December 17, 2012, 08:30:57 am
  • Shakespear.
You need a remarkably powerful server there. Mugen isn't mr optimised really and it's got to cope with all these people uploading and downloading stuff as well as match making.
Ah, I see.  Yeah that's precisely what I have absolutely no idea about.  The capacity of a server to run something like that in real time.  I just figured that minimizing the content that the engine was handling down to 2 chars and 2 stages might be enough, but I guess not.  I don't know how to code HTML5 but I was hoping that like some languages it could pass off functioning control to another language (namely C++ or whatever mugen is written in) but yeah that would still require the source code...  shit.  Unless... wait no.  Shit.   
Well, can't say I didn't see it coming, but there goes that. 
#5  December 17, 2012, 08:43:17 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
The only form of mugen i could see having any online functionality was something interesting Supermystery mentioned. I have no idea if he finished it or even got it working.

It was a keypress program. You would have the same mugen setup at either end (wouldn't work otherwise) you both define p1 and p2 keys inside the program and then within mugen proper. It would ONLY pass those keys and nothing else. No quitting or debug keys would work for the other person. Then you have a game and the keypresses get flicked between both people controlling their own mugen, but also the person at the other end.

Too limited to be good for anything but a full game though and not really what you want.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#6  December 17, 2012, 09:00:21 am
  • Shakespear.
Hey, that's a pretty cool idea though.  I could see that working with actually very little coding necessary. But yeah, having to have the exact same roster set up on either end adds way too much trouble to make it 'fun and easy'.

If only there were a way to have a site that just ran the engine itself. 

Ax

#7  December 17, 2012, 10:00:44 am
    • USA
It would be cool if a program was drawn up to make that kind of interface easier to set up for the remote viewing/playing. I've done this idea before but there is tremendous lag and button command delays.
Seek Truth
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty