YesNoOk

Character WIPs - Captain America (MCU/Ultimates inspired) & Doom Marine (Read 10799 times)

Started by DrPyspy, November 17, 2021, 10:03:47 pm
Share this topic:
Character WIPs - Captain America (MCU/Ultimates inspired) & Doom Marine
#1  November 17, 2021, 10:03:47 pm
  • THROW A CONCUSSION GRENADE
Hello! I'm currently experimenting with character creation for MUGEN! Specifically, I'm using IKEMEN GO and making use of ZSS, which appeals greatly to my brain. My current project is a rendition of Captain America, with an outfit based on his appearances in the MCU and in the Ultimate Marvel comics. I'm aiming for a MSH/MvC inspired style with the sprites. Here are some GIFs for your viewing pleasure:

Here is a video showing what I have in-engine:

In addition to Cap, I've also been working on Doomguy! I'm still trying to finalize his moveset, but I'm planning on plucking ideas from the various Doom games. His sprites so far aren't quite up to my standards, so I'm going to be redoing what I have so far before I get back to coding him again. However, I do have a GIF!

Let me know what you think!
Re: Character WIPs - Captain America (MCU/Ultimates inspired) & Doom Marine
#2  November 17, 2021, 10:16:41 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
Going to be completely honest, both of these look absolutely amazing. Obviously, as with anything, there are fixes that can be done, but for the most part, the spritework is fantastic, and they really capture the style you're going for. I wish you much luck, and I'm looking forwards to see how these turn out.
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪
#3  November 17, 2021, 10:35:47 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Looks great!
I particularly like this Doom Guy!

I'm curious about the rendering method+software... looks like you used 3D model + some rotations or something.
Hos you did that?

the result is pretty clean.
#4  November 17, 2021, 11:09:06 pm
Going to be completely honest, both of these look absolutely amazing. Obviously, as with anything, there are fixes that can be done, but for the most part, the spritework is fantastic, and they really capture the style you're going for. I wish you much luck, and I'm looking forwards to see how these turn out.

Thanks! I still need to figure out the best way to handle Captain America's shield in terms of graphics and coding, but I'm gonna try looking at existing Captain America characters to get a good idea of how to go about it.

Looks great!
I particularly like this Doom Guy!

I'm curious about the rendering method+software... looks like you used 3D model + some rotations or something.
Hos you did that?

the result is pretty clean.

Thank you! I've been using Blender to render out these sprites. I usually do custom sprites for Doom mods, so I have a workflow that helps 3D renders match the style of the Doom engine sprites with requiring too much post-processing. I've been adapting a lot of that workflow towards mimicking the CPS-2 style with these characters. Doomguy is a lot more rough around the edges (especially around the helmet), but I've been having a lot of success with Cap so far!
#5  November 17, 2021, 11:24:23 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Thanks for your explanation.
But as a "2D guy", I have no skills with Blender, particularly with the animation process and rendering methods.
#6  November 19, 2021, 03:43:22 am
I have made some more progress with Captain America! I have figured out how to handle the shield stuff, and it should be ready to be toggled on and off for the shield throws. I've also implemented his Charging Star special moves! Take a gander if you're interested:

Next up on my list is to do some more of his normal attacks, such as his standing heavy attack and his crouching attacks.
#7  December 05, 2021, 05:48:55 am
    • USA

This is cool dude. This reminds me of how he appeared in the Ultimate Avengers movie and his alternative costume in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Also what voice clips are you gonna use? Are they gonna be custom made or ripped from a game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance?
"If you take three glasses of water and put food coloring in them, you have many different colors, but it's still the same old water. Make the connection."
#8  December 05, 2021, 04:17:56 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
I like it.