YesNoOk

Sakura Kasugano (update 04/12/2023) (Read 23433 times)

Started by DeathScythe, April 01, 2023, 01:53:36 am
Share this topic:
Sakura Kasugano (update 04/12/2023)
#1  April 01, 2023, 01:53:36 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

After a lot of things that happened IRL, I think I finally finished her. I hope I didn't forget anything and hope you guys like it. I put a lot of effort on this one, by far the character I put the most attention to detail. As always feedback and bug reports are appreciated.

Spoiler: FAQ (click to see content)

Have fun.

Download:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Newest version: https://crepa.neocities.org/mugen/chars

Since neocities is acting weird lately, here is the standalone link:
https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=58306406A12E6ADD&resid=58306406A12E6ADD%211443&authkey=AMm5M_KUYegJBxo
Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 04:18:30 pm by DeathScythe
Re: Sakura Kasugano released
#2  April 01, 2023, 03:51:51 am
  • "I'm Bal... I'm Veg...*Sigh* Just call me 'Claw'."
Wow!

Thank you!

I'm gonna check it out.  :D
"Remember kids; Curiosity created MUGEN!"

Check Out Cammy-Delta-Red-Development HERE
#3  April 01, 2023, 04:11:47 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
Congratulations on release, pal. We've been waiting for this.
I'll try to check her out and provide a proper feedback. So far I found only Medium Hit Spark being weird with its gray impact ring.
Plus, a quesiton of curiosity: isn't hitpause for EX Hadouken a little bit too long?
;======================
EDIT: found nothing else but this: you need to edit her ground.back and ground.front constants to fit the hitboxes. Not really a problem, but creates the unpleasant jiggle when walking into the enemy.
Such a good job, man, a really great Sakura!
Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 04:44:27 am by Trololo
#4  April 01, 2023, 04:43:25 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Wow!

Thank you!

I'm gonna check it out.  :D

I hope you enjoy!

Congratulations on release, pal. We've been waiting for this.
I'll try to check her out and provide a proper feedback. So far I found only Medium Hit Spark being weird with its gray impact ring.
Plus, a quesiton of curiosity: isn't hitpause for EX Hadouken a little bit too long?
;======================
EDIT: found nothing else but this: you need to edit her ground.back and ground.front constants to fit the hitboxes. Not really a problem, but creates the unpleasant jiggle when walking into the enemy.
Such a good job, man, a really great Sakura!

- Ah... since I implemented different sizes for sparks in the config.txt, I forgot to scale the ring of the medium spark. Good catch.
- The EX Hadouken (or Hadoushou) hitpause is 10 ticks. In CvS2 her HP Hadoushou hitpause is also 10 frames (applying the turbo frame skip). I don't think it is that long. BUT! Because of that I noticed that in CvS2, one of the hits uses ground.type = Low and the other uses ground.type = High, while my version uses High in both, is a minor thing but I'll change. Thanks for pointing out!
- Hmm, I'll have to check cause these were taken directly from CvS2.

And thanks for the compliments!
Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 05:38:27 am by DeathScythe
#5  April 01, 2023, 05:57:56 am
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
Epic.
#6  April 01, 2023, 07:46:57 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Awesome! I'm gald you finally completed it!
I didn't expect you to release it that soon!
Thanks for the release, DeathScythe.

It really makes my day.
And I'm very glad to have helped it a bit with sprites.

OK, enough talk! I'm testing her :D
#7  April 01, 2023, 12:06:33 pm
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
-Her taunt uses a special spark instead of a normal one when Multicolored Hit Spark are set to 1.
-Win 3 and Win 3 ~2 doesn't have swish sounds for each kick.
-There's a landing effect with Sakura Otoshi's Landing 1 even though her feet never truly touched the ground.
-There's no sound effect when charging Hadouken or Tengyo Hadouken (Readme also has a typo since I think you meant charging the effect instead of changing it).
-The counter message doesn't appear for her or the opponent's if a projectile hits her right when releasing hers from charging and for some reason does 2 hits instead of 1.
-Dark Sakura's Shououken doesn't have a jump sound when it's blocked.
-The projectile sound from her Hadouken doesn't play if hers clashes with another one.
-Ashura Senkuu End has a landing sound without the effect itself (Although I don't think it has one since she never left the floor).
-MAX Midare Zakura is missing a super jump sound when she leaps on the last punch.
-Using Change Mode doesn't change her palette to her respective mode (I was also thinking her mode she's in should also stay on the next round, but I'm not sure if that's possible since her main def already contains both of them and may mess them up).

It's nice to see that you finally finished her. I find your take on her refreshing since most of the existing Sakuras uses the CvS voices and not the SFA ones.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 12:22:55 pm by ZolidSone
#8  April 01, 2023, 07:25:48 pm
Quality Sakura as your other works.
Appreciate your effect on her.

I didn't main her so, I never know her SGS is like.....    haha :smitten:
I guess Ryu is quite happy to get hit by it.

#9  April 01, 2023, 10:42:28 pm
  • For me, it was Tuesday.
    • Ireland

:lol: Looks like Sakura is hugging Ryu in that image!

Your powers shall feed my ambitions nicely!
#10  April 01, 2023, 11:55:32 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Thank you everyone for the comments, I'm glad you guys are liking it so far!

Now for the feedback:

So far I found only Medium Hit Spark being weird with its gray impact ring.
Fixed

you need to edit her ground.back and ground.front constants to fit the hitboxes.
So, I checked and both the hitboxes and the constants are 17, so I don't know what is happening here...?

-Her taunt uses a special spark instead of a normal one when Multicolored Hit Spark are set to 1.
CvS2 uses the special spark (blue) in her taunt, I just followed:

-Win 3 and Win 3 ~2 doesn't have swish sounds for each kick.
Added.

-There's a landing effect with Sakura Otoshi's Landing 1 even though her feet never truly touched the ground.
That's also a thing from CvS2:

I also find it weird, lol

-There's no sound effect when charging Hadouken or Tengyo Hadouken (Readme also has a typo since I think you meant charging the effect instead of changing it).
The charging sound IIRC is something PotS did on his Sakura, she doesn't have a sound for that in the games I based her. I can add one, though.

-The counter message doesn't appear for her or the opponent's if a projectile hits her right when releasing hers from charging and for some reason does 2 hits instead of 1.
I don't know if I understand what you meant in this one, but I couldn't replicate this. Do you mind recording a video?

-Dark Sakura's Shououken doesn't have a jump sound when it's blocked.
Added.

-The projectile sound from her Hadouken doesn't play if hers clashes with another one.
Fixed.

-Ashura Senkuu End has a landing sound without the effect itself (Although I don't think it has one since she never left the floor).
Also a thing from the source games. I just followed. :P

-MAX Midare Zakura is missing a super jump sound when she leaps on the last punch.
Added.

-Using Change Mode doesn't change her palette to her respective mode (I was also thinking her mode she's in should also stay on the next round, but I'm not sure if that's possible since her main def already contains both of them and may mess them up).
Initially I wanted to change the palette when changing modes but due to many factors I gave up. However, after a conversation with some people from the MFG discord, I'll give it a try.
Sakura not keeping the mode that was changed between rounds is fixed.

It's nice to see that you finally finished her. I find your take on her refreshing since most of the existing Sakuras uses the CvS voices and not the SFA ones.
Using SFA voices for Normal Sakura and CvS for Dark Sakura was @Sir Ghostler:'s idea! Glad you liked it. ;D

Awesome! I'm gald you finally completed it!
I didn't expect you to release it that soon!
Thanks for the release, DeathScythe.

It really makes my day.
And I'm very glad to have helped it a bit with sprites.

OK, enough talk! I'm testing her :D
I can not thank you enough for the sprites you made. :smitten:
I really hope you enjoy her!

Thank you for the kind words!
Lol, Ryu may die after that but I bet he'd die happy. :P

I'll wait a bit before uploading the update, maybe more people will show up with more feedback.
#11  April 02, 2023, 01:21:15 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I'll wait a bit before uploading the update, maybe more people will show up with more feedback.

I'll help:

1. Medium Dark Hadouken seems to have more range than both the Light and Heavy versions. This is noticeable when you're far enough from a thin enough opponent.
2. Dark Shououken lacks a swing sound unlike the Normal version.
3. Tengyo Hadoken is a rather strange case, since you can't Super Cancel from it, making it rather useless combo-wise, even though it's your easy followup after EX Shunpu Kyaku's wall bounce. I say easy followup since comboing with Shououken is hella precise coz of the Wall Bounce behavior.
4. Speaking of... it's kinda funny that EX Tengyo isn't a Hadoushou like the normal EX Hadouken has.
5. For consistency, I think Dark Shinkuu Hadouken(s) should also lose the fade out effect.
6. Haru Ranman's final yell would work better as she goes for the stomp, rather than the hammer punch that comes before it.

Not a whole lot to nitpick about, quite frankly. Glad to see a better Sakura in the traditional PotS '08 style.
I wish more releases of this style had these added configs (e.g. MM/CC and Hitsparks), seeing that the system stuff varies between authors, and lads have their preferences.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#12  April 03, 2023, 02:13:19 pm
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
CvS2 uses the special spark (blue) in her taunt, I just followed:

That's also a thing from CvS2:
I also find it weird, lol
Ah, been a while since I played CvS2. After looking at PotS's 2022 Sakura, the same happens with her. At first, I thought the frame was delayed and originally though the landing effect should appear after it. Guess that wasn't the case. Same with the hitspark, which looked like a special and could deal chip damage, but in reality does not.

The charging sound IIRC is something PotS did on his Sakura, she doesn't have a sound for that in the games I based her. I can add one, though.
Sure. I don't think she can charge her Hadouken in the MvC series, but having the sound would be nice so it doesn't sound too jarring.

I don't know if I understand what you meant in this one, but I couldn't replicate this. Do you mind recording a video?
I can't really record one. But I can show you a screenshot what happened:

This will happen on any PotS style character before the 2022 ones (not just her) no matter as I believe that's how the counter message coding works for it. This happened right when the projectile from the charged one came out and the opponent's projectile (which is a normal one and only deals a single hit) will hit both hers and Sakura when close enough. The hit counter for 2 hits will then appear on P2 side right after and probably why it dealt two.

Also a thing from the source games. I just followed. :P
Guess I'm too used to seeing PotS's characters not having one and KarmaCharmeleon's God Rugal had one with the effect as well. However, he has a bug where the sound would just play like crazy while teleporting if he reaches the wall, but luckily that doesn't happen with Dark Sakura's and only plays once.

Initially I wanted to change the palette when changing modes but due to many factors I gave up. However, after a conversation with some people from the MFG discord, I'll give it a try.
I figured since I seen it done with OHMSBY styled characters and 1.0 made it possible so it no longer requires duplicate sprites with a different palette on the same board (DCL's old MvC-EoH Sakura for Winmugen has that limitation and doesn't bond well with custom states). However, I remembered PotS style characters can use separate def files for modes and was uncertain it might mess that up. Hopefully it will work for you.

Using SFA voices for Normal Sakura and CvS for Dark Sakura was @Sir Ghostler:'s idea! Glad you liked it. ;D
As someone who's played her in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, I'm too used to hearing that take on her over the CvS one despite being the same VA. Also like how you got the intro with Kei accurately where she does a short run and stops and not dashes forward.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:23:03 pm by ZolidSone
#13  April 03, 2023, 05:43:04 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Nice to see this one finally complete.
#14  April 03, 2023, 11:30:05 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
1. Medium Dark Hadouken seems to have more range than both the Light and Heavy versions. This is noticeable when you're far enough from a thin enough opponent.
Fixed, they should be the same range.

2. Dark Shououken lacks a swing sound unlike the Normal version.
Added.

3. Tengyo Hadoken is a rather strange case, since you can't Super Cancel from it, making it rather useless combo-wise, even though it's your easy followup after EX Shunpu Kyaku's wall bounce. I say easy followup since comboing with Shououken is hella precise coz of the Wall Bounce behavior.
Maybe I forgot to add it. It's fixed.

4. Speaking of... it's kinda funny that EX Tengyo isn't a Hadoushou like the normal EX Hadouken has.
I felt like a projectile would be better. Always thought it was weird seeing a diagonal Hadoushou.

5. For consistency, I think Dark Shinkuu Hadouken(s) should also lose the fade out effect.
I don't know about this one. But I made it slightly faster, so they also have more range than normal version now. Dark Max Shinkuu Hadouken should reach the other side of the screen (in stages with no zoom) now.

6. Haru Ranman's final yell would work better as she goes for the stomp, rather than the hammer punch that comes before it.
Changed.

Not a whole lot to nitpick about, quite frankly. Glad to see a better Sakura in the traditional PotS '08 style.
I wish more releases of this style had these added configs (e.g. MM/CC and Hitsparks), seeing that the system stuff varies between authors, and lads have their preferences.
I am all about adding options in the config, because I also like to customize the characters. Nice to see people enjoy it. Thanks for the feedback!

This will happen on any PotS style character before the 2022 ones (not just her) no matter as I believe that's how the counter message coding works for it. This happened right when the projectile from the charged one came out and the opponent's projectile (which is a normal one and only deals a single hit) will hit both hers and Sakura when close enough. The hit counter for 2 hits will then appear on P2 side right after and probably why it dealt two.
I think I understood now, I'll have to take a look and hopefully fix it.
Edit: Ok, now I did it, it's indeed happening. I think the two hits it's because it's counting the hit on the projectile too. Both the projectile disappear and Sakura goes to a hurt animation, at the same time. I'll see what I can do, but I don't think that's too much of an issue.

On the topic of using RemapPal, I sucessfully implemented it.
To be honest, the reason I didn't use it from the start was because of lazyness. Sakura has 70+ palettes only for normal mode, I imagined I had to make a Dark version for each of them. But I had an idea that worked like a charm: Sakura has a few palettes that have both Normal and Dark versions, for example, the default ones. When not using these, if she transforms she will use a random palette (but will use this same palette for the rest of the fight).

Other than that, I'm also working on some cool special intros I thought and making more palettes. I also implemented the palette configuration (since now she uses RemapPal), inspired by Jmorphman's Chun-Li.

I'm still fixing a few bugs here and there, the update will come soon. Again, thank you everyone for testing and commenting. ;D
Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:56:31 am by DeathScythe
#15  April 04, 2023, 11:10:33 pm
    • France
    • saga.3@hotmail.fr
Thanks a lot for this release, I really enjoying playing Sakura. I notice a bug with "sakura shime" ; her opponent is "floating".

Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 11:16:07 pm by porcaro
#16  April 05, 2023, 02:47:50 am
  • MUGEN MEMES
LET'S GO!! :bjugoi:
Emerie's MUGEN Content

Everyone have Greatness :)

Don't give up... just... take a break :(
#17  April 05, 2023, 03:51:40 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Thanks a lot for this release, I really enjoying playing Sakura. I notice a bug with "sakura shime" ; her opponent is "floating".

:???: Hmm... I tested against some different characters but it doesn't happen on my end.
Also, by quoting your post, seems like you were trying to post an image? If you can show me a screenshot and tell me on which characters it happen I can take a look.
#18  April 05, 2023, 11:17:03 pm
    • France
    • saga.3@hotmail.fr
#19  April 05, 2023, 11:37:29 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Hmmm, that's strange. Tested against Jmm's Chun-Li in a few different stages, still not happening on my end and I'm not sure what would cause that.

Anyone else having this issue?
#20  April 05, 2023, 11:59:43 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
Speaking of Sakura Shime, am I the only one not keen on the length of it? The startup for it and the crunching (if you wanna call it that) part are a bit too slow for my taste. It's like that in PotS' too, unless its been like that in source.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update