YesNoOk

Weird Mugen sound issues (Read 2149 times)

Started by GreenZed, March 31, 2022, 02:14:05 pm
Share this topic:
Weird Mugen sound issues
#1  March 31, 2022, 02:14:05 pm
So, as of late, I think I might have some weird audio issues related to the character postion on screen. Whenever the character is on the left side his or her sounds will be barely audible in the right speaker/channel and vice versa. Seems like it affects most characters in my roster, but not everyone (older fighters from WinMugen days seem fine). Is this actually a feature? Was it really always like this or am I taking the crazy pills?

Note: I've disabled stereo sound in mugen.cfg a long time ago, due to having another weird audio issue: p1 hitsounds would only be audible in one speaker/channel. That affected all characters, even KFM on freshly installed Mugen 1.0. Disabling stereo somehow fixed it.

I'm using Mugen 1.0.
Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 02:25:19 pm by GreenZed
Re: Weird Mugen sound issues
#2  March 31, 2022, 08:40:29 pm
So, I was tinkering with mugen.cfg some more (as I should have in the first place) and I think I fixed the issue (along with stereo one). The problem I had seems to be, indeed, a feature. In my 10 years of using Mugen 1.0, I somehow never paid attention, or I might be having some sort of OCD freakout right now. The thing in question is called "width of the sound panning field". The anomaly is, is that it only works when the stereo is on, which I turned off for about two years now. What even?

Here's all the values I changed to fix both "issues":

SampleRate from 44100 to 48000
PanningWidth from 240 to 1200 (probably too high, but I don't know, what is the highest value)
WavChannels from 12 to 16
SFXResampleQuality from 0 to 1
BGMResampleQuality from 0 to 1

I am leaving this here, in case someone will run into the same troubles I had. Please, do note: it will be heavy on performance. Some stages, that I had trouble with before, became even more janky (well, just one, really: Darkness Shadows by ExShadow).

I'll leave the topic open, in case someone has more insight on the situation or can suggest better config changes.

P.S: I'm a Windows 7 user.