YesNoOk

#Empowered Beyonce using Slave labor for her Social Justice merchandise (Read 8201 times)

Started by Iced, May 16, 2016, 11:57:19 am
Share this topic:
#Empowered Beyonce using Slave labor for her Social Justice merchandise
#1  May 16, 2016, 11:57:19 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Re: #Empowered Beyonce using Slave labor for her Social Justice merchandise
#2  May 16, 2016, 05:01:03 pm
i dont see the problem. in the grand scheme of things we all are slaves to queen bey. Yase queen slay
#3  May 16, 2016, 05:10:43 pm
oh no im so outraged by this hypocrisy.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞

OZ

#4  May 16, 2016, 09:03:42 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
that's just how global industry works
every company that wants to be a big player participates because it's only a problem when publicized
and you can always fall back on the plausible deniability of not knowing slave labor was being used because you had never been to the sweatshop

I mean, I know we were getting product at 15% cost, but I never saw any slaves

on the plus side, this allows Beyonce to #Empower people while maximizing her profit margins
everyone wins
ಠ_ಠ
#5  May 16, 2016, 09:06:06 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
I find her incredibly creepy nowadays...
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#6  May 17, 2016, 10:43:20 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#7  May 17, 2016, 01:08:12 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
Lol slave labour, isn't that the usual pay/work schedule of any unskilled labour in any 3rd world country?

lui

#8  May 17, 2016, 03:37:22 pm
    • USA
#9  May 17, 2016, 05:24:25 pm
thanks its so much funnier now
#10  May 17, 2016, 06:51:52 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Lol slave labour, isn't that the usual pay/work schedule of any unskilled labour in any 3rd world country?
Skilled enough to make stuff for Beyonce's line of clothing.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#11  May 17, 2016, 07:14:34 pm
  • Raging Fist
..this takes eerie to a whole new level and at the same time shows a darker side of a "positive" Movement. Just when I thought I've seen it all there's something new everyday o_O

OZ

#12  May 17, 2016, 09:26:00 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ

3rd world countries without the strict regulatory guidelines that US and EU companies are required to abide by

in the same sense that an 8 year old working in a british steel mill at the turn of the century wasn't a slave, they just didn't have anyone looking after their rights or well-being as a worker

businesses fund and encourage practices that are seen as unethical in their own countries in order to pass the savings on to themselves
and they justify it by saying, oh they're getting paid what the average brown person gets paid anyway
ಠ_ಠ
#13  May 18, 2016, 03:46:14 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?

flowrellik reaction to anything sjw related: what the fuck is wrong with these people, they make me sick! they should be executed!!

flowrellik reaction to pretty much modern-day slavery: jesus christ how horrifying o_O
no, i'm not trying to start anything, just thought this was funny
Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:57:47 am by Just No Point
#14  May 18, 2016, 05:02:05 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Removed the avatar used. Calling someone a slur when poking them isn't cool. I also want you to stop trying to push the limits of the avatar/sig boundaries. You've been talked to about them a number of times. So start playing it safer from now on. This'll be you're last warning for avatars and sigs.
#15  May 21, 2016, 01:56:03 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

Pretty much, yeah.

So what's the actual problem with this exposé? We definitely agree that national wages need to be raised. Especially in the case of women like this who most likely support their families with their wages, or at the very least send a large portion of it home. We've personally seen the great conditions at these factories though, and MAS adheres to ILO and Garments Without Guilt mandates. However, Sri Lankan wages are notoriously low on the whole, with even highly qualified professionals (such as auditors or IT professionals) often getting paid as low as about Rs. 12,000 a month. It's cause for systemic policy change, but not cause for an international fuss and ringing the alarm with gleeful abandon.
[...]
Context : $185 dollars is not a livable wage in the UK, but it definitely is in rural Sri Lanka.
Citation : There is no source given for the article's stats. How does a one bedroom accommodation in factory boarding in rural Sri Lanka cost Rs. 30,000 per month? Why does Anti-Slavery UK think Rs. 43,000 is the basic livable wage required per person given our low cost of living? Salary.lk puts it at about Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 24,000 on average.
Sensationalism : It appears as though a lot of the article is just jumping on the social justice warrior bandwagon without keeping the actual welfare of the workers involved in mind. Also, slavery is probably not a term you want to play fast and loose with.
Ramifications: According to recent updates, MAS Intimates employs some 16,000 workers. Not all of these are on the Ivy Park contract, obviously. However, for most of the workers on the Ivy Park contract, this job is irreplaceable for them. If the boycott is successful, hundreds of young women will lose this, the only safe job opportunity they have, and international brands will start to refrain from choosing Sri Lanka as a production option in the future.
#16  May 21, 2016, 02:07:45 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
one of the reasons jobs pay like shit in third world countries is that the amount of people who want to work is far bigger than the amount of jobs available; by closing work sources the oposite result is reached and the wages will be driven down even more.