YesNoOk

KoF XV (Read 743984 times)

Started by Magma MK-II, December 06, 2018, 01:30:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: KoF XV
#1681  September 23, 2021, 12:03:55 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
seems like a language barrier thing if im being honest. i think orarora is saying the person is supposed to be trans, which is still wrong if im remembering correctly.
#1682  September 23, 2021, 03:28:35 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Its not a trans, its literally a dude in drag.
#1683  September 23, 2021, 04:19:48 pm
    • Brazil

So, I saw the video, the guy isn't trans, nor is he in drag, he is literally just an effeminate guy that Joe thought was a "babelicious" girl, somehow. I wouldn't call Joe anythingphobic for it, but that depiction of a gay man is a bit homophobic, since it's a caricature, basically, though not nearly as problematic as, say, Ash from Streets of Rage.
Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:23:07 pm by Macaulyn97
#1684  September 23, 2021, 07:07:35 pm
Yeah, it's a joke based on trans panic / gay panic. It's old and shitty.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1685  September 24, 2021, 02:07:17 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
And awful as s***. Can't believe they still with that crap with Joe.
#1686  September 24, 2021, 02:18:52 am
    • Brazil

They still do it?
#1687  September 24, 2021, 03:01:34 am
It's Joe's story in KoF XV so yes they're still doing it. Never mind, I misread.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:42:30 am by Byakko
#1688  September 24, 2021, 03:36:16 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
No they aren't. Last time that guy appeared was in XIII.
#1689  September 24, 2021, 03:50:05 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Honestly I don't entirely mind the gag with Joe. And this is coming from a gay guy so maybe my word means something lol

I personally don't see it as gay panic, I see it as the age old gag of "guy hits on girl, girl turns out to be guy, guy is shocked." Perhaps that's an offensive gag in retrospect but I've never seen it as offensive and I've found it quite funny (annoying too but that's just cause it's such a cliche thing).

I do hope they don't repeat it outright though. Every side character having the same story game after game gets boring. Give him at least *something* different.
#1690  September 24, 2021, 05:02:25 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Honestly I don't entirely mind the gag with Joe. And this is coming from a gay guy so maybe my word means something lol
You are free to view it as you like, but like... it's maybe not your position to hand down a verdict here. The gag is immediately and obviously a transphobic one. That's the joke, that is the entirety of it.

And it really fucking sucks!
#1691  September 24, 2021, 05:06:25 am
    • USA
Fair enough. To each their own then.
#1692  September 24, 2021, 05:54:04 am
    • Brazil

So, I just saw the KoF XIII ending, and yeah, it got worse. The 03 ending shows the character as just an effeminate guy, since he uses masculine clothing, and the XIII ending shows them in women's clothes, if we try to pretend that this isn't just queerphobic writing (because, for those writers, its all the same, even though thats not how it works in real life), the character could be seen as gender-fluid, which means the gender they identify as changes with time, that, arguably, would explain the clothing change.

The problem is, we obviously know this wasn't written by a queer person to add representation, the character is an obvious caricature in their appearence and they're obviously sexually harassing Joe, which is super problematic. Like, its basically portraying a queer person as a crazy horny pervert, its an absurdely dated stereotype, it surprises me that I've never seen anyone commenting on this before.

I'm a gay man as well, but while I won't claim to be an authority in this, I will say that regardless of opinion, this is a very harmful representation, like, if we had more queer characters as non-harmful representation in the series (specially among the main cast), this wouldn't have been much of an issue, because it could be written off as this character from Joe's ending just being some random pervert, but when its pretty much the only queer face you see in the series? Yeah, calling this a "bad look" is an understatement.
#1693  September 24, 2021, 06:01:59 am
    • USA
Ohhhhhh shit I forgot about that specific part in KOF XIII’s ending. Riiiiight. Fuck.

Yeah Nevermind it’s not funny. My mind was stuck in the 03 ending. Apologies for overlooking that. I forgot it wasn’t just the exact same thing.
#1694  September 24, 2021, 03:47:42 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Its a dated gag. That's all there is to it. SNK moved away from it, so there's no need to push this subject further.

The Fatal Fury team's XIV ending is about Joe being kind of jealous that his pals got girlfriends while he's alone. This is even brought again in the ANB manga. Lilly had always been his love interest in the FF series, so its surprising they took this long to even mention her in the KoF storyline (though she's made some small cameos before). And when she's around her brother is not too far away, so this probably means Billy will be in the game, if not on base roster then as DLC.
#1695  September 25, 2021, 04:13:02 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
    • www.webs.com/videoman190
KOF XV is coming to the 2021 Tokyo Game Show!
There will be a special KOF XV program which will air from 9PM PDT, Sept 29th!

A rundown of KOF XV’s game system, as well as the first-time glimpse of the game in action will be on display!

https://tgs.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2021/en/

#KOF #KOF15TGS

No new characters this week but they will be there at TGS on Sept 29.
#1696  September 25, 2021, 09:54:44 am
I used the word "transphobia" because of this site where i might thought I would know what was the name of that individual in dress: https://lgbtqgamearchive.com/2017/02/10/transphobiahomophobia-in-the-king-of-fighters-xiii/ I remember in somewhere (snk wiki i think) which I saw in the mid of 2020, his name was okami or otani, something like that  :S since i can't find his name anymore, i just call him "transphobia". The reason why I was finding information about him was because I plan to make Joe as the main protagonist for my Mugen game and wanted a storyline for it which involve this transphobia after kof13's tournament, as well as Terry bogard (he used to be big fan of Terry and later switched to Joe after Joe saved his life).

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#1697  September 27, 2021, 07:37:51 am

#1698  September 27, 2021, 07:48:20 am
    • USA
I hope people report on the name and playstyle of the new girl, if she's gonna be the only new playable character. I imagine she'll be among the most played simply because she is new and people may want to get a feel for a brand new character ahead of time.
#1699  September 28, 2021, 09:39:09 pm
#1700  September 29, 2021, 09:40:15 am