YesNoOk

question about png format for v1.1b (Read 4501 times)

Started by R4V3N, June 22, 2020, 06:07:09 pm
Share this topic:
question about png format for v1.1b
#1  June 22, 2020, 06:07:09 pm
    • Uruguay
Hi guys, tjis is just a theoric question, I don't really having issues with sprites, yet...

I'm using mugen 1.1b plus as base, I've already made the screenpack and a single char. But I have a doubt regarding png used on sprites, I'm reading 1.0 tutorials and working on 1.1 so I can't find the data on what has changed about limits of colors and etc on png.

So for what I understand I can use now, 32 bits png and rgba colors right? we are talking about more than 16 million of colors, where is the limit of this? I mean how many colors really I can have on my sprites?

I mainly use 2 softwares for graphics: GIMP and Macromedia Fireworks 8. How I should export my sprites on these softwares (going to phoshop is not an option). I read some guides about export with exact color mode on gimp, but is this needed for 1.1b? I think I have better options for png on Fireworks can you help me to find the best configuration (performance and quality) for both, character, stages and screenpack sprites?

On fireworks I have these options: 

for png 8bits:
-up to 256 colors
-Matte ( enables you to set the color your images will be anti-aliased to)
-Alpha transparency (alpha, index or none)
-dither (not sure what does this option).
also have lot of pallete customization here.
for png 24bits and 32bits:
-just Matte options

and a last question. ALL sprites need to have same palette right? with 32bits too?
Life is short, smile while you still have teeth.
Re: question about png format for v1.1b
#2  June 25, 2020, 03:28:59 pm
Hi guys, tjis is just a theoric question, I don't really having issues with sprites, yet...

I'm using mugen 1.1b plus as base, I've already made the screenpack and a single char. But I have a doubt regarding png used on sprites, I'm reading 1.0 tutorials and working on 1.1 so I can't find the data on what has changed about limits of colors and etc on png.

So for what I understand I can use now, 32 bits png and rgba colors right? we are talking about more than 16 million of colors, where is the limit of this? I mean how many colors really I can have on my sprites?

I mainly use 2 softwares for graphics: GIMP and Macromedia Fireworks 8. How I should export my sprites on these softwares (going to phoshop is not an option). I read some guides about export with exact color mode on gimp, but is this needed for 1.1b? I think I have better options for png on Fireworks can you help me to find the best configuration (performance and quality) for both, character, stages and screenpack sprites?

On fireworks I have these options: 

for png 8bits:
-up to 256 colors
-Matte ( enables you to set the color your images will be anti-aliased to)
-Alpha transparency (alpha, index or none)
-dither (not sure what does this option).
also have lot of pallete customization here.
for png 24bits and 32bits:
-just Matte options

and a last question. ALL sprites need to have same palette right? with 32bits too?

only 8bit png have palette.
32bit png don't have palette.

8bit used on characcters. which can change color based on palette
32bit png used on background which need full color.