YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 16966549 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2521  April 08, 2021, 12:28:24 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I think this is going to be another one that comes down to the volume of lore and reference material to draw from, like Scrooge McDuck/Shovel Knight and Samurai Jack/Afro Samurai.  Just by the very nature of how the two series' are written and handled, Heihachi has had a lot more opportunities to demonstrate things Geese doesn't have a counter for.
#2522  April 08, 2021, 12:46:42 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Counterpoint, Lucy from Elfen Lied had two books and one anime season mostly covering the first one but downplayed while Carnage had freaking Marvel Comics history.  Sometimes you just need that one substantial feat in a short lasting series to counteract another's whole legacy of content.

That said, I'm on team Heihachi just from general knowledge of the two, if not particularly invested in this match-up.  Kinda do want to see that ending of the two falling from a stupidly large height to be the death of one of them though, just for the laugh.
#2523  April 08, 2021, 02:52:36 am
    • USA
Fair play, but Geese doesn't really have that one substantial feat.  True, he survived falling off a skyscraper that one time, but then later he fell of the same skyscraper and died, so it's kind of a wash.
#2524  April 08, 2021, 03:42:52 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Geese does have the edge in speed.  From the OVA, he was able to dodge Terry's Power Wave and appear from behind with seconds.

I don't believe Heihachi demonstrated lightning speed at any media, at least from his age and I don't count SFxT's Critical Art.  His prime years, maybe he might have been very agile but as he is, he would rather take things head on such as the times he parried metal objects with his teeth instead of quick dodging. 

Reppuken's power varies in series.  In the OVA is was able to brutally injure Andy and Joe with one blast and Terry had to do a special stance just to repel it at full force.  In KOF Destiny, he needed to do this move numerous times and it didn't came close to the OVA.  Reppuken's power is not like Devil's lasers that were capable of melting steel and cause eruptions from the volcano.  Heihachi at full power had to endure that force sevenfold from Devil Kazuya at max power.

Thunder Break would be enough to pin down Heihachi tho and I don't believe there was a case where Heihachi repelled lightning or absorb it or nullify it.
#2525  April 08, 2021, 04:18:32 am
    • USA
His prime years, maybe he might have been very agile but as he is, he would rather take things head on such as the times he parried metal objects with his teeth instead of quick dodging.
That's an important point to note, however, as Death Battle operates at each of them at their prime.  If not necessarily able to showcase be it lack of sprites, models or whatever art.  Toph vs Garra was supposedly post-Last Airbender pre-Legend of Korra Chief of Police Toph versus post-Shippuden Garra though the episode showed off clearly the only resources they had on hand for example.  All Might and Might Guy did similarly by multiplying All Might's proven stats in the series to accommodate us not seeing him in his prime firsthand.

In Heihachi's case, it would be whatever greatest feat they can pull for him in his old age would thus be a lowball for him in his prime and he would get whatever benefit of the doubt in his powerscaling.
#2526  April 09, 2021, 03:45:47 am
    • USA
Doesn't Heihachi have some kind of weird "get-young-again" potion that he uses to make himself as physically fit as he was in his prime?  IIRC that's what they used to justify using his young appearance in Tekken Tag 2 and PSABR.  I'm not particularly well kept on my Tekken lore so I can't remember if that's a canon thing or not.
#2527  April 09, 2021, 04:54:23 am
Nope not canon and the only time he stayed thay way for a really long time was in Project X Zone.  But Prime Heihachi gets really nimble at that stage combined with decades and decades of experience.  If they somehow add in Nightmare Geese, then Heihachi should use the serum.

In his current appearance, the only speed feat he has is his Critical Art in SFxT but that I don't count because he never uses that move again in Tekken Lore, but the madlads are likely gonna rely on that to justify his speed.  Might as well give him the really angry form where he turns beet red and skyrockets his power endlessly while they are at.

Also there was a moment in the KOF XIV manga where Geese one shots Verse (a being that embodies souls of past KOF villians) with a slam after dodging all of its attacks with the same speed feat from the OVA.
#2528  April 12, 2021, 07:23:50 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
#2529  April 12, 2021, 07:37:04 pm
Kazumi was not possessed.  She morphed into her Devil form at will and explained that her clan's purpose was to kill people like Heihachi to prevent him from being a threat to the world.  She had full control over the Devil Gene.
Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:41:01 pm by Kirishima
#2530  April 14, 2021, 08:39:10 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Predictabo...
#2531  April 17, 2021, 12:13:50 am
    • USA
Random general DB observation, I was rewatching the She-Ra vs Wonder Woman episode since it got recommended recently and noticed that the DB team shared a comment describing why they should do Spider-Man versus Captain America.

It's largely MCU based, how in Spider-Man: Homecoming Tony remarks how Steve outclassed him and conversely Tony outclassed Peter, MCU has its own rules and guidelines, I recall they had a press briefing how unanimously Captain Marvel is the MCU's strongest character bar none, so whatever.  I'm just reminded once again how in DBC the cast has brought up their desire to do a good Marvel vs Marvel match and find it interesting they shared this comment.  But.....I'm not Marvel guru, but Spider-Man has that in the bag, no?  Comic Spidey, of course, unless this plays into their Archie Sonic episode breakdown where they also remarked how they want to branch out into more episodes of specific character variants and they just use the MCU Spidey and Cap. (I think they threw Dragon Ball GT and Red Son Superman as examples in the DBC?  Been a while, dunno which one it was now)
#2532  April 17, 2021, 12:19:21 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Spider-Man would unquestionably win in either variation

Spider sense is spider sense no matter what cute jokey name they want to give it

And taking nothing away from Cap's strength but Peter has already done similar and greater with the boat, the rubble and the plane
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2533  April 17, 2021, 12:27:27 am
    • USA
Eh, yeah, I guess that's fair.

Not for nothing though, I was also assuming that MCU Captain America also gets Mjolnir now, since MCU Thor has Stormbreaker as his go-to weapon for now.  Unless WandaVision or one of the other shows remarked on that to some degree.  I have not watched any of the Marvel shows so I don't know how much they cover post-Endgame.  Just some memes on fake Captain America looking like the grandpa from Pixar's Up.
Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:31:11 am by Long John Killer
#2534  April 17, 2021, 12:33:06 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
We can assume Cap probably returned Mjolnir to Thor 2 as well along with the stones, can't really count it as a permanent part of his repertoire
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:37:14 am by Speedpreacher
#2535  April 19, 2021, 09:47:56 pm
    • USA

New episode's out.

Climax could have gone better.  Interrupting someone's big dramatic counter then just waiting the death out isn't a particularly fun way to end the fight.

Next is Attack on Titan's Mikasa and RWBY's Blake.

Only read AoT until Sasquatch showed up, haven't watched RWBY on principle so can't say much on it.  I'm assuming Titans are a much bigger threat than the entire RWBY-verse judging by previous episodes on DB with their cast and Mikasa routinely takes them out.  So I'm assuming Mikasa wins.

Also just late realization, they consider Tekken Tag Team's events as "canon enough".  They could have given Heihachi his youth serum if they so chose to, they just didn't here.
Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:04:37 pm by Long John Killer
#2536  April 19, 2021, 10:41:02 pm

Phantom.Of.The.Server's got nothing on this.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Blake vs someone I don't know.  Back to hibernation I go.
#2537  April 20, 2021, 03:24:52 am
    • USA
Pretty predictabo outcome, but still a pretty good episode overall.

Next episode is a rare matchup where I know literally nothing about either of the characters, not even to hazard a guess at what makes them comparable.
#2538  April 20, 2021, 04:48:09 am
    • USA
Asked about it myself because of my RWBY ignorance.  Apparently they're both Spider-Man knock-offs in the traversal department.  Which explains DB's previous mini-sode with Mikasa and Spider-Man.

From what I've heard Blake has RWBY magic and tricks and straight-up stolen Naruto technique of shadow and lightning clones (Not TOO surprising, seeing Yang just outright uses Halo 3 assets) but stats don't compare to AoT's universe of characters or even her Titan slaying gear so Mikasa's probably just gonna power on through and steamroll despite the much more straight-forward approach and lack of flashy magic or techniques.  Having only read what I guess comprises the first arc with the Female Titan and seeing the main RWBY team's high-end feats with Weiss in her episode, that seems believable I guess.
Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:57:09 am by Long John Killer
#2539  April 20, 2021, 07:00:52 am
  • Was it something I said?

Also just late realization, they consider Tekken Tag Team's events as "canon enough".  They could have given Heihachi his youth serum if they so chose to, they just didn't here.

I said that Jack's crushing the meteor feat wasn't canon, because they keep upgrading Jack (well, making the models different anyway) with each game as they change Yoshimitsu every game he's in, but I'm assuming if they gave Heihachi the serum, I'd imagine they'd give Geese his Nightmare form or something like that.

Also, I have no idea on Blake and Mikasa. Only thing I know is that the Titans in AoT were a huge threat/important to the story. Are the Titans much more of a threat than whatever creatures RWBY have?
#2540  April 21, 2021, 01:56:04 am
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVq2zIbEMfk[/youtube]

One Word :

Also Mikasa in death battle, And her opponent :