YesNoOk

Will the Figthing Game genre soon disappear in your country? (Read 17971 times)

Started by rgveda99, April 19, 2021, 07:57:38 am
Share this topic:
Will the Figthing Game genre soon disappear in your country?
#1  April 19, 2021, 07:57:38 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Because of most of Millenial and Gen Z gamers (in my country at least) aren't interested in fighting games and the fact that the fighting game community is growing old?

This is a problem in my country. How 'bout yours?

https://www.ginx.tv/en/street-fighter-5/street-fighter-pro-momochi-complains-about-aging-pros-dominating-the-game

Momochi, who qualified for top 8 of the Japan 1 event looking for a spot in next year's Capcom Cup, was the youngest player on the losers side of the bracket at 35, with veterans Keita "Fuudo" Ai (35), Hiromiki "Itabashi Zangief" Kumada (39), and Daigo Umehara (39) alongside him.

"I'm the youngest guy in losers. This industry is dangerous. Is there a future? I'm worried, this is a fighting game tournament full of old men," Momochi explained after the event on his Twitch stream.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Re: Will the Figthing Game genre soon disappear in your country?
#2  April 19, 2021, 08:34:15 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I don't really know about how things are going over here in the US, but tbh I kinda get the fear a lot of newcomers have, getting into the scene. It's very daunting. It's why I stay casual (that and competitive fighting is of no interest to me).

People learning SFII at a high level back in the day didn't necessarily have an "older generation" to compete with and, eventually, overtake. They became the generation newcomers have to compete with. Though getting into the scene is not impossible, it is, arguably, a lot harder to do nowadays. It can feel discouraging, being decimated by players with decades more experience than you. And while this can, of course, spur you onward in practicing and learning all you can to improve, you're not going to match, say, Daigo Umehara or Justin Wong in a year or two.

At least, that's my take on it -- the fear of having to compete with the best of the best and it being a fruitless endeavor. "Why compete in this tourney? [So and so] will be there, I doubt I'll beat them."

At the same time, Momochi is like, what, 4 years off Daigo's age, and tied with another guy's age? I'd be more concerned if it was someone my age in that ring -- nineteen or twenty year old going up against crazy veterans. Not trying to discredit Momochi but to others he is still totally an old man lol

Probably not as experienced as some of the others at least.

Sorry for the probably stupid take -- this is my only input on stuff like this, so I know it's not really my place, but... I dunno. Open discussion, wanted to share my thoughts. So I did. Have at.
#3  April 19, 2021, 08:53:26 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
it becomes a niche market.
there is some trends / tendances with time.
And it's true that the boom we had in the 90 and in the 2000 is not here anymore.

but also, now with E-sports, some younger players have interest for fighting games.
Also anime licences can help it. Like DBFZ etc.
#4  April 19, 2021, 09:18:12 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
I picture it like a basket ball, it always bounces back, I don't see it leaving anytime soon.
#5  April 19, 2021, 09:24:17 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 It's not gonna be dying out any time soon over here, but it's going to remain a niche given the FGC isn't exactly the most welcoming community in all honesty. I can point to the loads of controversy, some becoming potentially life threatening in more extreme cases, and there can be rampant elitism, especially their hostility towards the casual crowd... exceptions exist, but there is that stigma for a reason. There is also the fact even if you don't get involved in the FGC, fighting games in themselves are probably among the most unforgiving genres in video gaming. The investment you need to pour in just to become merely decent at them, let alone actually good, can be demotivating. That's not a good thing to advertise as your main feature in the market, which is why FGs have became increasingly easier to learn.

I honestly don't think FGs will be mainstream again because of those numerous obstacles, but they're unlikely to die out even though most hardcore FG fans are 30+ simply because they'll appeal to at least a small percentage of younger people in the same way they appealed to most of us in our youths. Ironically, I never really took a keen interest into FGs until shortly after high school.
#6  April 19, 2021, 10:09:46 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
I def dont think it will. Speaking for SFV, There is a ton of young players in asia, europe and na. Not only that but, while mostly older players made top8, the japan qualifer had more than 500 entrants. For one country only thats pretty good. You also have to remember that the 3 of the 4 capcom cup champion for SFV we're all under 25. I dont think the genre will die anytime soon personnaly.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#7  April 19, 2021, 11:33:48 am
fighting games has always been a niche market. it disappearing won't happen , it may lose a lot of popularity but it'll surge back again.

even back in the arcades most players were lining up on tekken or mvs , only a tiny few who played other fighting games like kof.
#8  April 19, 2021, 12:00:52 pm
Yeah, it happened in early 2000s after the SF3/MvC2 boom, people kept talking about a fighting game fatigue because the market was flooded with them (and Capcom convinced themselves that SF3.3 was the pinnacle of fighting games and they would never do better so they left) so everyone somehow decided to stop making them (except Tekken I think), then when Capcom made SF4 after a few years, they somehow realized that actually people still want to play fighting games thank you very much. Fuck that noise.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:07:44 pm by Byakko
#9  April 19, 2021, 12:11:18 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
I thought so. But I was wrong. There is a bunch of fighting gamers turning into a pro in Bangladesh.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#10  April 19, 2021, 05:01:26 pm
Yeah, it happened in early 2000s after the SF3/MvC2 boom, people kept talking about a fighting game fatigue because the market was flooded with them (and Capcom convinced themselves that SF3.3 was the pinnacle of fighting games and they would never do better so they left) so everyone somehow decided to stop making them (except Tekken I think), then when Capcom made SF4 after a few years, they somehow realized that actually people still want to play fighting games thank you very much. Fuck that noise.

i don't think it died in 00. there was a ton of 3d fighting games , probably because people thought 2d was obsolete and 3d was all the rage back then.
#11  April 19, 2021, 06:33:38 pm
Right, it wasn't completely extinct, but it went way down.
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/features/timeline.html
Compare the '94-2000 lists to the '02-'06 lists in size. The big titles left were Tekken + Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, KoF Maximum Impact and KoF 2002 and 11, plus a few Capcom and SNK re-releases / compilations. That's basically all the big names today, but look at the difference in volume. And before 2002 you still had a whole bunch of different series : Toshinden, Plasma Sword, Power Stone, Bloody Roar, Ehrgeiz, Daraku Tenshi, Last Blade, JoJo, Darkstalkers... All that stuff never came back, but the big names (Capcom, Bamco, NRS, ArcSys, and now KoF again) just got a lot stronger on a few titles only, while we saw massive losses in diversity.
And that list doesn't even have the giant flood of anime fighting games that followed the Melty Blood / MvC-on-crack formula (it doesn't even have Melty Blood). 2003-2008 looks like a drought compared to the previous decade.
That's what both Bamco and Capcom have seen lately : Harada mentioned that the initial plans for Tekken 7 were just 2 DLC seasons then to move on, but they realized that the trend today was more one big game that is kept alive for half a decade (SF5, Tekken 7) rather than new games every 3 years. That's cool for the community on each of these games and the competitive scene, but at the same time, all the small titles have definitely died. (SNK seems to have noticed that with SamSho, I hope they intend to do the same with KoF XV, if they do they might have a chance to stay relevant this time, give us that sweet successor to the 02UM roster)
(also as you see the 3D craze started long before the Great Dying, and it was a lot more varied already)

The scene changed a lot and we lost a lot compared to the '90s, but it won't just end.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:50:52 pm by Byakko
#12  April 19, 2021, 11:14:34 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Once there are less barriers to entry to esports/major events, the potential for the genre shoots up. Arslan Ash is a good example. Guy barely made it to EVO for logistical reasons, and he said several times he doesn't even consider himself the best in his region. There's tons of great players out there who just don't have the means to come to these events. Tekken is the best example. Of course, this is still a really niche genre. I believe the direction the genre will move forward is going to be determined in large part by Riot's Project L/League fighter.

Riot has the money and resources to influence entire markets on the backs of its popular IP, and fighting games are no exception. Things like monetization and netcode are going to be key factors that will give other devs insight into what sort of things will stick with the new generation of PC gamers. Also, I think we need to pay attention to things like input and ease of access. If Riot makes a game with simple input options thats free to play, that is going to be a HUGE influx of players into the scene. On top of that, that is going to be a huge influx of potential esports competitors. I think the core gameplay experience Riot offers, if the game proves to be a success, is going to be hugely influential to the genre as a whole.
#13  April 20, 2021, 12:40:42 am
  • It Is What It Is
    • USA
I doubt it. The genre may fade a little but it'll never die out. It's sorta similar to how the FG arcade scene was in the West around 20 years ago. The scene was 'dead' but it was still going kinda strong in Asia (with Melty Blood, KOF 02, KOF XI, Samsho 6, Fist Of The North Star, Tekken 5 and onward). There were loads of tournament footage on these games even before Youtube was launched. Thankfully (ironically), Street Fighter IV was what reignited the fire of the genre worldwide.

It is very much like the time when a certain overweight plumber saved the entire gaming industry back in the early/mid 80s.
Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:45:26 am by Captain Vulcan
#14  April 20, 2021, 09:49:04 pm
  • Wandering....
Interest on competitive 1v1 fighter will always return in some form or another,  even many trends do come and go

2D fighters became saturated in the 90s when everyone was doing just "round" base fighter. the trend did just shifted to because of introduction team based fighter which revitalize the the FG genre.

Polygon fighters in the late 90s was only strong in the console. They look innovative visually but not in gameplay, People into FGs aren't taking those serious competitive. Tekken and VF in the PSX era was just valued because of nostalgia nowadays and were liked before because of being in a 3D plane since that was new gimmick back in the day.

Most in the 3D fighter in bellow and in PSX era had terrible gameplay mechanics and controls,  their gameplay aged terribly. Tobal was good and Soul Edge was good but the rest was just being something new.

It was the with fancy team mechanics and crossovers were considered to be the innovators of the FG genre that took off the arcade scene up to 00.

This is why games like the marvel versus series, kof titles and etc are still talked in the old school community.

What nailed the FG scene is shift on gamer trends because of PC games starting to be as par as the console and the innovation in FPS like Half life then CounterStrike. PC gaming killed arcade scene which were usual FG genre is attach with.

Nowadays things shifted from MOBA to Battle Royale games. Dominant platform also did shifted from PC and Console to Mobile, And obtaining games did also shifted in trends from physical copy to steam and app store.

Yet Fighting Games isn't affected yet as long it can adopt from distribution and had competitive feel on it

2D Beat em up died because it had no competitive thing on it's gameplay mechanics. Yes Street of Rage now did exist but it's not testament of the genre to take over the gaming industry or prove of it to be a triple a hit. It selling point is Nostalgia.

The only thing that would permanently change and affect FG genre is no other than players/user retention, that either drop or change from time to time. So they need to adapt in some way in accessibility.

Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:58:40 pm by The Shakunetsu